Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I know these have been mentioned, but I'd like more info if people have used it and what they're experiences are:

Tasmota
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Getting-Started/
Any recommendations for cheap outlets and such that are easily flashed to it?

How does it compare to something like ESPHome?
https://esphome.io/index.html

I figure, if I can re=flash some of the cheap devices on Amazon that would be awesome. I'm really wanting to keep everything as local as possible

something like these smart wifi plugs

I picked up a NodeMCU esp8266 micro controller and started coding it... and now I feel like I am all in on that little chipset. MQTT broker is set up, holy cow is that cool. I think there's a competing chip called the ESP32 or something, is that better? Hearing opinions and experiences would be awesome... I currently have almost no automation but want to build out some cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ickna
May 19, 2004

namlosh posted:

I know these have been mentioned, but I'd like more info if people have used it and what they're experiences are:

Tasmota
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Getting-Started/
Any recommendations for cheap outlets and such that are easily flashed to it?

How does it compare to something like ESPHome?
https://esphome.io/index.html

I figure, if I can re=flash some of the cheap devices on Amazon that would be awesome. I'm really wanting to keep everything as local as possible

something like these smart wifi plugs

I picked up a NodeMCU esp8266 micro controller and started coding it... and now I feel like I am all in on that little chipset. MQTT broker is set up, holy cow is that cool. I think there's a competing chip called the ESP32 or something, is that better? Hearing opinions and experiences would be awesome... I currently have almost no automation but want to build out some cool stuff.

ESP32 is the newer chip. It will probably start replacing the 8266 over the coming years but for the most part just buy whatever is cheaper or has the form factor you need.

I personally use Tasmota on all my stuff; several custom 12v/24v MOSFET based LED dimmers, temperature and humidity sensors, or flashing cheap Sonoff modules I have spliced inline on extension cords. Everything is controlled through OpenHAB and telemetry is stored with InfluxDB/Grafana.

I personally prefer Tasmota over ESPHome, because I don't have to mess with file-based configuration using YAML. Tasmota has a easy flash tool called Tasmotizer that will flash the latest release and let you configure the device's name and WIFI ap/password before deployment. Most common hardware that you might flash will have a preset, or you can configure I/O easily through the web config interface.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

ickna posted:

ESP32 is the newer chip. It will probably start replacing the 8266 over the coming years but for the most part just buy whatever is cheaper or has the form factor you need.

I personally use Tasmota on all my stuff; several custom 12v/24v MOSFET based LED dimmers, temperature and humidity sensors, or flashing cheap Sonoff modules I have spliced inline on extension cords. Everything is controlled through OpenHAB and telemetry is stored with InfluxDB/Grafana.

I personally prefer Tasmota over ESPHome, because I don't have to mess with file-based configuration using YAML. Tasmota has a easy flash tool called Tasmotizer that will flash the latest release and let you configure the device's name and WIFI ap/password before deployment. Most common hardware that you might flash will have a preset, or you can configure I/O easily through the web config interface.

Thanks for the reply... So Tasmota and ESPHome are both frameworks you use so you don’t have to write your own code?
Can you write your own C to execute? I’m a software developer but C/C++ aren’t my specialty at all. But having started using Arduino Sketch and then quickly moving to Platform IO in vscode, I may want to write some of my own stuff, unless the frameworks are really configurable.
I hate YAML as well but if not that, what does Tasmota use?

Thx for the tip about ESP32 being the future. I want to make sure I start with the latest to get the most out of any hardware purchases and learn the right platform. Have you used the D1 Mini? That seems to be the new hotness ESP32 package.

I’ll have to look into Sonoff modules... I’m at the point of realizing that all the interesting stuff you’ll want to do involves mains voltage but I don’t want to die and/or burn the house down. Do they solve the dying/burning problem?

Thx again

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The D1 Mini is an ESP8266 board. ESP32 vs 8266 really comes down to CPU needs and I/O needs; the 32 isn’t a replacement, it’s a higher end, more capable part. For cheap stuff (atmospheric multi sensors, e.g.) an 8266 is plenty; for cameras you’d need a 32, or for more complicated things with active control systems where you might want the increased processing power (and iirc actual hardware timers).

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Oops, you’re totally right... for some reason I was thinking the D1 mini was ESP32. It definitely looks like a next-gen when compared to my much bulkier dev board I got from a kit. Roger on the performance being the main difference.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

esp8266 is way more powerful than an arduino, but it's still pretty limiting, you're going to be fighting to get everything to fit on the onboard flash memory etc. If you're playing around with micropython etc it's going to be very easy to blow out that 128kb of program space. I remember having to manually trim fonts out of the display library I was using to make my program fit

esp32 has significantly more memory.... 4mb, or 4096kb of program space, which allows you to be way more sloppy with your prototyping

If you're running the esp8266 it's a lot more gentle with batteries, you can get a couple of weeks out of an 18650 using the advanced sleep modes. If you're going to have this thing plugged into the wall full time, just buy the ep32 for an extra $6

The other advantage of the esp32 is it has real bluetooth support.... esp8266 was groundbreaking when it was released, a wifi capable "computer" for just $4? in 2014? Hell yeah! Had it not been released first, the esp32 would have been the go-to device, as it's about double the capability in every way than the esp8266

ickna
May 19, 2004

namlosh posted:

Thanks for the reply... So Tasmota and ESPHome are both frameworks you use so you don’t have to write your own code?
Can you write your own C to execute? I’m a software developer but C/C++ aren’t my specialty at all. But having started using Arduino Sketch and then quickly moving to Platform IO in vscode, I may want to write some of my own stuff, unless the frameworks are really configurable.
I hate YAML as well but if not that, what does Tasmota use?

Thx for the tip about ESP32 being the future. I want to make sure I start with the latest to get the most out of any hardware purchases and learn the right platform. Have you used the D1 Mini? That seems to be the new hotness ESP32 package.

I’ll have to look into Sonoff modules... I’m at the point of realizing that all the interesting stuff you’ll want to do involves mains voltage but I don’t want to die and/or burn the house down. Do they solve the dying/burning problem?

Thx again

I use the D1 mini specifically for all my homespun projects. Tasmota and ESPHome aren't really frameworks for coding so much as firmware replacements with more customizable features. Kind of like replacing the firmware on a Linksys router with OpenWRT.
Obviously you can write your own stuff in PlatformIO / Arduino if you want to make a more self-contained control system but that wouldn't involve Tasmota or ESPhome.

Tasmota stores configuration on the flash chip but I am not aware of the specifics, but it does not require file-based configuration to deploy. I just pop by the web config page to set everything that wasn't already configured when I flashed the firmware initially.

Sonoff modules are a ready-made ESP8266 + relay module with rectification to power the ESP circuit from the mains input. I haven't cooked one yet out of the 10 or so modules I have used, nor have I seen anyone post about one burning up. The circuit layout has beefy traces and decent isolation between mains voltage and the low voltage section.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Awesome, that makes more sense.

A lot of this stuff seems like the wild-west, everybody copying and cloning each other, so it's hard to see what the standards are and how they work.

For example, here's a link to why I thought the D1 mini was an ESP32 chip:
WeMos D1 MINI ESP32

Not sure what's up with that, but it's confusing. I suppose form factors, chips etc. are now being re-used or attempts are being made to standardize?

Thanks to all of you again for helping me sort through it. Very helpful.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
In terms of outlet switches, I've had decent success using re-flashed Sonoff S-31 outlets with the Tasmota firmware. I didn't have to touch any code to get it integrated into my HomeAssistant setup, which was pretty convenient. You do need a separate board to actually do the flashing though.

An alternate option I've seen as well is using a relay board controlled via an ESP32.There are a ton of options, but basically anything targeted at Arduino hardware will work. (I'm got one of these things that works ok: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCFJC0Y/)
They take a bit more work in terms of actually setting up some code to run on it, but it'll let you control mains voltage or other DC stuff if you're doing more then just general appliance control.

I would agree that the Sonoff stuff seems decently beefy in terms of not catching on fire, so I wouldn't be too concerned about using those if you want to avoid the more DIY route using relay boards.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ok cool, I actually bought one of those relay boards, an outlet and faceplate and single gang box to put it all in.
But then I thought that there had to be better constructed solutions that are less risky than what I could put together, even if I am comfortable doing it.

Then I noticed that some of them have energy monitors as well, which is awesome!

I guess I’ll look into flashing Tasmota on a board to check it out. If it doesn’t suit my needs or I really want to code, I’ll just contribute to the open source project.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I'm thinking of getting a Eufy smart doorbell, but it doesn't seem to have a Windows desktop application. Ideally, I'd like to be able to view a live video feed from my PC when someone rings.

Is there a third party solution?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Secx posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Eufy smart doorbell, but it doesn't seem to have a Windows desktop application. Ideally, I'd like to be able to view a live video feed from my PC when someone rings.

Android app running in Bluestacks?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Secx posted:

Does it not just provide an RTSP stream? Maybe that would work... you could watch it in VLC or something?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are there any window sensors on sale that are any good? My wife is always worried we left a window open and that cats are going to escape in the middle of the night.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Now that IFTTT isn't free, is there an alternative if I want to issue voice commands to Google Assistant without a lead-in? That is, I want to be able to say something like "hey Google, [keyphrase]" without having to say "hey Google, [keyphrase] with [appname]" or "hey Google, let me talk to [appname]".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the open source IFTTT solution of choice right now is huginn, but I haven't used it

https://github.com/huginn/huginn

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This has probably been covered but coming in green I don't even know what to search for. What are some self hosted solutions in terms of IP cameras that don't need cloud access? I have a pretty robust home network with virtualization and VPN connectivity but never messed around with cameras and don't even know what to start googling to find a dumb device that speaks some sort of standard open protocol. If someone could just blindly shout some solutions I can go from there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

This has probably been covered but coming in green I don't even know what to search for. What are some self hosted solutions in terms of IP cameras that don't need cloud access? I have a pretty robust home network with virtualization and VPN connectivity but never messed around with cameras and don't even know what to start googling to find a dumb device that speaks some sort of standard open protocol. If someone could just blindly shout some solutions I can go from there.

Reolink, on their own internet jail VLAN, dual NIC'd Blue Iris VM to do all the DVR stuff. One NIC in your chinese camera vlan jail, the other one somewhere useful so you can configure remote access if that's what you want.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Anyone have a recommendation for a doorbell camera? We have an Abode setup and their camera has been "coming soon" for what seems like forever.

I'd like to avoid the Ring or Nest or any others that are happy to give away the video to anyone who asks, if such a thing can even be avoided these days.

Integration with Abode would be preferred, but I'm also running Home Assistant so I can work through that too.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Those of you who have Alexa or Google equivalent, are you worried about your privacy at all?

I feel like a growing number of people are fine with the companies recording and using your data, but I am still a bit torn about the whole idea.

On the other hand, I feel like the convenience that comes with the automated systems would be worth it. But on the other hand, the idea that I will have this machine that will record and transmit what I say in the privacy of my home is something that I still haven't made my peace with.

Literally talked myself out of getting a Google mesh network set up because of it.

I use Google assistant on my phone, and I know they record it, but using a button to record feels different from knowing my phone was recording 24/7.

I'd love some insight from those who don't have a problem with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bioshuffle posted:

On the other hand, I feel like the convenience that comes with the automated systems would be worth it. But on the other hand, the idea that I will have this machine that will record and transmit what I say in the privacy of my home is something that I still haven't made my peace with.

I mainly use an Alexa to turn lights on and off, set timers, check time and weather etc so if they want to use the data they get from that then I don't really care too much.

If it turns out they're actively recording and sifting through all other data, then they're going to get a lot of garbage from me as it sits next to the TV and I live alone with the dog. Also I find I have to ask the drat thing twice to do what I want it to, so it blatantly doesn't understand me that well anyway.

There's so many services now where the user is the product, I'm not sue that eliminating a home assistant from your life is going to change a huge amount in the long run. I'd rather have Homekit stuff from Apple as I trust their usual mantra of wanting my money not my personal details, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work natively with SmartThings still, and it's a good chunk more $. Maybe one day.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Those of you who have Alexa or Google equivalent, are you worried about your privacy at all?

I feel like a growing number of people are fine with the companies recording and using your data, but I am still a bit torn about the whole idea.

Literally talked myself out of getting a Google mesh network set up because of it.

I use Google assistant on my phone, and I know they record it, but using a button to record feels different from knowing my phone was recording 24/7.

From a logical standpoint, the signal to noise ratio of content on actual hot mic being streamed somewhere would be almost useless. It would more or less require a single person listening to a single speaker non-stop to really mine all the content out of it since sometimes voice recognition isn't perfect. Additionally, it's fairly well documented that they keep a rolling buffer of the last 5 seconds, but are constantly throwing that buffer away. The moment the wake word for the specific speaker is detected (which happens in hardware, not in software), the software then gets access to that buffer and is able to act on it. There's a reason why the wake words are so finicky and custom arbitrary wake words (ignoring the potential issues with branding, someone makes their wake word a slur, posts a dumb video on tiktok, stuff like that) will never actually be implemented as much as people want , it's because it's relatively hard to tune the wake word once it's configured in hardware. The reason "Hey Google" works is more of a happy accident than intentional. It's looking for those harder consonants, and "hey google" from a consonant standpoint looks almost like "okay google"

eta: I'm never buying fully into Apple ecosystem, so I'd never buy Homepod/Homepod Mini, and then when I look at Alexa versus Google, I trust Amazon a lot less than Google when it comes to keeping my data safe, so I've always been a Google smart speaker person.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 15, 2020

ickna
May 19, 2004

Just remember that Amazon wants to sell you something. Google wants to sell you to something.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

ickna posted:

Just remember that Amazon wants to sell you something. Google wants to sell you to something.

For the most part this is why I use Alexa over the others. I mean, there are no good answers really, but at least Amazon just wants my data for themselves so they can sell me more of their own poo poo while google just wants to sell my data to as many other people as possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're not buying into the Apple ecosystem either so that leaves Amazon and Google

Amazon is all wrapped up with law enforcement and sharing private video with the police, that's a hard no from me

Google claims to not share video footage with law enforcement, and although they might be (probably are?) lying about it, that seems slightly better than amazon's pro-establishment stance

Verdict: Google, I guess :shrug:

If a reputable company sold a voice activated light system that also let me set timers and view the front door cam from my phone, without dialing out to the borg hive mind cloud first, I'd buy that, but Google and Amazon seem like the only long term smart home hardware vendors right now

At some point, somebody will write a Google Home/Nest open source equivalent that runs on raspberry pi well enough to not piss me off, but that product doesn't exist yet

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bioshuffle posted:

Once you understand that if you have any sort of online presence your privacy is already gone, you don't worry about 1 service anymore really.

There's so much stuff going on in the background these days it's truly scary and short of just not using the internet there isn't much you can do about it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Hadlock posted:

If a reputable company sold a voice activated light system that also let me set timers and view the front door cam from my phone, without dialing out to the borg hive mind cloud first, I'd buy that, but Google and Amazon seem like the only long term smart home hardware vendors right now

*cough* apple *cough*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's even a homepod mini coming out next month!

Hadlock posted:

We're not buying into the Apple ecosystem either so that leaves Amazon and Google

You're not buying into the one ecosystem that does exactly what you want.

Speaking of lights Hue needs to hurry up and get the adaptive lighting update out it's like the one thing I want more than anything. I have so many timed automations to essentially do the same thing I can't wait to get rid of them all.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 15, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

For reference I have six Google Homes, a Pixelbook, have used nothing but Google Nexus/Pixel phones, use Google Wifi, and have every privacy tracking option set to "Spy on me" in Chrome. I do however block ads on phone and computer and don't allow third party cookies.

My logic was this:

You can't avoid tracking by everyone without just being offline all the time. I don't use Facebook, so the next logical choice is Google because I know they don't sell my information but are acting as a gatekeeper for others to advertise to me. In other words they may be invasive but they will likely keep my data secure while at the same time offering me a mostly functional, mostly complete ecosystem in which to operate.

As for the home assistant stuff, I figured they already have all of my data anyway. I bought one Home to see if we'd use it and me and the wife liked it a lot. It made turning on the lights or monitoring the laundry or making a shopping list easy and as we used more features it became more useful. So we just accumulated them to listen to music in some rooms or make timers in the kitchen or set alarms in the bedroom or control the entertainment center in the living room. I'll admit I don't see the appeal of smart home features that aren't voice controlled as to me the only thing that makes them convenient is the fact I don't have to use a switch or a phone or controller of some sort to do what I want.

Lastly, the reason why I didn't fight the tracking and such is that it didn't seem like a winnable war and losing was going to be costly in terms of time and money. Sure, I've used and liked Apple products but their ecosystem was too small to be useful everywhere and you only have to read this thread to remind yourself the lengths people go to have to have a smart home that doesn't use the cloud. The alternative that never gets talked about is "plug it in, it just works and you never have to do any maintenance at all". In the end I chose the private surveillance entity least likely to leak my information to everyone else and most likely to cover the entirety of my needs and thus far I've experienced no downsides for doing so.

I've never understood the counter of what you're asking: Why fight it? What is to be gained by doing so?

Also for what it's worth, at least with Google Home you know when it's listening and also you can review everything it's ever recorded. In my personal experience it's pretty good about only listening when it hears the wakeword. Google has better voice recognition than Amazon or Apple (though the gap is narrowing) but that contributes to how much "accidental" listening it does.

ickna posted:

Figured I'd edit to address this, but this is wrong. Amazon does want to sell you things, but Google wants to sell access to you. Selling your information reduces the "value" (lol) in what they do to nothing. They have a strong incentive to do the opposite of what you claim. As they say, you're the product so they only maintain their position as a middleman by restricting third party access to you by ensuring that all advertising they send your way comes only from them.

Whether Google's advertising to you is intrusive is something for you to decide but in my experience it's a lot less than the equivalent from other options, most notably Facebook.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 15, 2020

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Others have already touched on making peace with Google/Amazon's illusion of privacy, and my opinion isn't particularly different, but I did want to point out that the first-gen Google mesh router (I think branded as Google WiFi?) does NOT have a speaker in it. Of all the Google things and doodads we've gradually added to our smart home, the Google WiFi pucks have been the most reliable and maintenance-free.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah, it's a very subtle difference, but Google doesn't want to sell your data, they want you to trust them as much as possible so you give them as much data as you possibly can. Selling or leaking your data means you won't want to give Google data.

Amazon has all the awkward law enforcement interactions to keep in mind, and no critical business interest in keeping your data safe and secure since that's not necessarily where they make money from.

ickna
May 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Figured I'd edit to address this, but this is wrong. Amazon does want to sell you things, but Google wants to sell access to you. Selling your information reduces the "value" (lol) in what they do to nothing. They have a strong incentive to do the opposite of what you claim. As they say, you're the product so they only maintain their position as a middleman by restricting third party access to you by ensuring that all advertising they send your way comes only from them.

Uh, what did you think I was claiming? You just restated my point that you are Google's product in more words

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I think the open source IFTTT solution of choice right now is huginn, but I haven't used it

https://github.com/huginn/huginn

I'm trying it but it doesn't seem to really be as close to IFTTT as it may at first seem. User friendliness aside, in this context I can't really find any Home Automation relevant event handlers. You could build them with webhooks etc but it's kind of excessive.

Don't get me wrong though, I see this as a powerful tool.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

I'm trying it but it doesn't seem to really be as close to IFTTT as it may at first seem. User friendliness aside, in this context I can't really find any Home Automation relevant event handlers. You could build them with webhooks etc but it's kind of excessive.

Don't get me wrong though, I see this as a powerful tool.

You might be looking for something more like Node-RED

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DaveSauce posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a doorbell camera? We have an Abode setup and their camera has been "coming soon" for what seems like forever.

I'd like to avoid the Ring or Nest or any others that are happy to give away the video to anyone who asks, if such a thing can even be avoided these days.

Integration with Abode would be preferred, but I'm also running Home Assistant so I can work through that too.

I haven’t used it myself, but I am tending towards this one once I get Ethernet run to the right places.

https://blog.quindorian.org/2020/08/the-video-doorbell-that-does-home-assistant-nvr.html/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ickna posted:

Uh, what did you think I was claiming? You just restated my point that you are Google's product in more words

You seemed to be claiming that Google gives your data to others when you said "Google wants to sell you to something". Plenty of companies actually do this--collect as much data on you as possible then sell it to a third party--so it's not a distinction without difference.

I feel like Buff explained it quite well:

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah, it's a very subtle difference, but Google doesn't want to sell your data, they want you to trust them as much as possible so you give them as much data as you possibly can. Selling or leaking your data means you won't want to give Google data.

Amazon has all the awkward law enforcement interactions to keep in mind, and no critical business interest in keeping your data safe and secure since that's not necessarily where they make money from.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If the HomePod Mini has halfway decent sound then I’m chucking all my Echos and going all in all the Apple ecosystem, cost be damned.

Also Amazon has an advertising network as well, they the #3 largest advertiser on the internet and show ads on 3rd party sites. I’m not sure if they retain the data themselves or sell access.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 16, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ickna posted:

You might be looking for something more like Node-RED

Sod it! I'm trying it tomorrow. I'm enjoying myself nonetheless.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FCKGW posted:

If the HomePod Mini has halfway decent sound then I’m chucking all my Echos and going all in all the Apple ecosystem, cost be damned.

Yeah I've gone HomeKit for my automation ecosystem and there are definitely less items available but I've been happy with it. Now with the homepod mini I'm trying to decide what Sonos play 1s I have can be swapped out for one.. It'll be interesting to see what the difference between them, audio quality wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I've gone HomeKit for my automation ecosystem and there are definitely less items available but I've been happy with it. Now with the homepod mini I'm trying to decide what Sonos play 1s I have can be swapped out for one.. It'll be interesting to see what the difference between them, audio quality wise.

Once I figured out how to setup Homebridge and bring my non-Homekit devices (mainly my tp-link switches) into the Apple ecosystem things have been much smoother.