Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Mrs. Dash posted:

Keep enjoying whatever harmless thing brings you some happiness on this dumb planet. Nerds will always be getting militant at people who dare to enjoy a tv franchise about men in colored onsies the wrong way

for realllll. It just gets loving exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i like star trek for the space friends :)

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I also cried at the end of Picard but for completely different reasons

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the episode with the time travelling fake emissary is pretty brutally anti religion wow. just like 25 minutes of the bajorans all being stupid sheep

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

violent sex idiot posted:

the episode with the time travelling fake emissary is pretty brutally anti religion wow. just like 25 minutes of the bajorans all being stupid sheep

they murder an innocent guy on a federation run station for not adhering in less than 1 week

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Tbf Sisko immediately relented to him, which is like Jesus going "no no you guys, Paul is the son of god, I just got that title foisted on me, listen to him"

The real qualm is the fact that every bajoran immediately converts to the Stupid Poet branch, when realistically you'd see splintering

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

i like star trek for the space friends :)

:same:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I havent watched the picard's show yet since im gonna wait for after disco season 3 and sub for a month and watch em both.

I remember from the trailer a while back that he keeps data chopped up in a drawer in his house and he swapped his french villa for some mcmansion in california so im pretty psyched

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pick posted:

Dominion war plus nemesis is a loving poo poo place to have things because it's basically every federation enemy curbstomped. So what you're going to bring back the kazon or some poo poo? The breen? The borg Queen is dead cardassia is hosed Romulus is hosed the dominos is hosed
I know this is a novel idea in the TV and movie landscape of 2020 but you could come up with new ideas.

or dig up some old one-off alien people and elaborate on them in unexpected ways. Star Trek give me a Pakled chief engineer

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I literally just finished the last episode, I'd been watching here and there over the last three weeks or so.

this is a super weird hill for you to want to live and die on and thanks, I am once again soured on discussing anything fun on the internet. Congrats?

I've been reading the Game of Thrones Season 8 thread, specifically before/during/after episode 3. It's really interesting watching the fanbase fracture into different groups, those who are in kind of 'last straw' mode and now believe it's all poo poo, people who are still holding out for an 'epic' last few episodes, those in denial at what just happened, and those who are very angry at people who didn't enjoy it and being quite snarky about it "Oh, I'm sorry, was your show about zombies and dragons unrealistic? :rolleyes:"

Heh, people are the worst. Me included.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They are wearing tuxedos because they are going to a wedding

It's their wedding day! they are getting married

This is them afterward in their house

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

hakimashou posted:

:hmmyes:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Tell me more

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Ezri was set up to fail; you get one season, your stuff WILL interrupt the climactic series finale everyone has been waiting for, you are replacing one of the most fun Star Trek romances with angst about not fitting in, and you are expected to match Michael Dorn without the years of chemistry. Our material for said interaction? Joke about getting hurt during awkward cave sex, delirious ramblings under torture, a half-written murder mystery at home.

Pretty much every compliment about her is just "shes cute"

I liked when she told Julian to stop being weird at her because she wasn't Jadzia and she didn't like it. But then she ended up with him in the end so that was instantly invalidated.

I think the most Star Trek "all people are equal, except women" thing was when Sisko told Jake he had to learn to tolerate the differences between his and Nog's cultures. The difference he was talking about was being openly horrendous to women.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like when she used reverse psychology on Vic to make him do what she needed

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I mean, for all the problems Picard has, in my opinion, it's bookended with pretty good scenes that have little to do with anything else in the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like when she used reverse psychology on Vic to make him do what she needed

I like when everyone was dunking on Bashir's holodeck programs that episode.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

womb with a view posted:

I think the most Star Trek "all people are equal, except women" thing was when Sisko told Jake he had to learn to tolerate the differences between his and Nog's cultures. The difference he was talking about was being openly horrendous to women.

I see what you're saying, but honestly, I don't know that it's bad advice. If your friend grew up and lives in a society that's horrible to women, and has internalized the value, "It's a good thing to be horrible to women", and you still want to be his friend, calling him out and lecturing him because he's horrible to women is not going to make him stop. It's just going to lead to a fight and endanger your friendship.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Dominion war plus nemesis is a loving poo poo place to have things because it's basically every federation enemy curbstomped. So what you're going to bring back the kazon or some poo poo? The breen? The borg Queen is dead cardassia is hosed Romulus is hosed the dominos is hosed

star trek doesnt need to be about fighting aliens the whole premise is about being friends with aliens!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

womb with a view posted:

I liked when she told Julian to stop being weird at her because she wasn't Jadzia and she didn't like it. But then she ended up with him in the end so that was instantly invalidated.

Klingons have ritualized murder and the Feds are still friends with them. Way to impose your values on other cultures you imperialist.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I know this is a novel idea in the TV and movie landscape of 2020 but you could come up with new ideas.

or dig up some old one-off alien people and elaborate on them in unexpected ways. Star Trek give me a Pakled chief engineer

Heck, Lower Decks already brought the Pakleds back as villains, I wouldn't put it past them to introduce a Pakled engineer in Starfleet at some point. If you tweet it at Mike McMahan it has a decent chance of becoming reality.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just hope they use my joke of

Pakleds in record store: We are looking for things that make us go hmmm

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1316072710485676034?s=21

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

No Shatner?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shatner is Canadian

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Riker looks like Fat Jedi

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Biden, His Legs Hairy

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Their honeymoon at The Overlook Hotel.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before but I think it's telling about the quality of the stories that Star Trek produces now that the people who still enjoy it seem to be digging it on the same level I am about the new versions of Transformers toys from my childhood that you can get these days; it's just "I recognize these things/people that I liked, hello friends!" Doesn't matter if there's any kind of coherent narrative involved at that point, let alone a story with something to say really. I don't judge, we're all hosed in the head that way and I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't point out that I have next year's Beast Wars revival stuff pre ordered already

But like, Star Trek used to be just a touch beefier than something that was only ever meant to sell toys to children, you know? You can occasionally elevate one but when the other gets brought down it's like... yeah, gently caress. It's been going that way for a long time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I've ragged on Discovery and Picard a lot ITT, but if people are genuinely enjoying them and this is the future of the franchise, so be it. I can deal with the idea that they don't make Star Trek for me any more.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

lol that they put in a single throw away line about how main universe sisko totally raped mirror dax, instead of simply not having that happen

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oooh rape. So edgy and mature.

Hey how can we make more characters mature? Really show that this isn’t your daddy’s Star Trek.

Worf eats infants

Lesse who should be the head of a child sex trafficking ring?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Section 32 is the sex trafficking department, really sick people over there

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Geordi is probably most likely to be a pedophile which is why he can't relate to normal women and his best friends are Wesley and a robot that doesn't understand emotions. He plays with model trains too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Geordi builds sex androids but uses the skins of women he’s kidnapped

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tasha Yar is a full on Nazi dom in this new Star Trek spinoff. Watch as she savagely beats minorities with a riding crop and then sacrifices them to Armus, who is now her Nazi benefactor

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

star trek needs more racist small town southern sheriffs

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mulaney Power Move posted:

star trek needs more racist small town southern sheriffs

We already had odo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

just remembered that time kira and the whole resistance almost got executed because odo was too busy goo fuckin