Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Gentle goons, I resurrect this thread to share with you what may be the greatest work of art in the history of the world. I was first introduced to the magnificence of the work below via a tweet from @PulpLibrarian, who is a great follow for fans of this thread. Once I saw it, I knew I had to own a copy. However, it's a French edition, and as such there were no copies for sale in the English world. I wasn't going to let that stop me, though! I found a solitary copy for sale on French Ebay, but the seller indicated they only shipped within the EU. However, in what I'm sure was horribly broken French (thank you, Google Translate!), I asked if he'd ship to the US, and to my eternal happiness, he said yes!

So, I present to you the 1974 J'ai Lu edition of Bilbo le hobbit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's, uh, one interpretation of what Hobbit feet look like

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
corn on the cobbit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

That's, uh, one interpretation of what Hobbit feet look like

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
A few new things I've been meaning to post:

The cover of the last one glows in the dark!

More soon (hopefully).

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 19, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jason Scott of the Internet Archive just received about a million boxes of weird and wonderful books to be digitized. His Twitter feed is worth keeping an eye on: https://twitter.com/textfiles

(source images way bigger, these were resized by me)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Pastry of the Year posted:

Jason Scott of the Internet Archive just received about a million boxes of weird and wonderful books to be digitized. His Twitter feed is worth keeping an eye on: https://twitter.com/textfiles

(source images way bigger, these were resized by me)

That is awesome! Archive.org is one of the best things to come from the internet.

I wish I could earn a living by digitizing stuff. This may come as a shock, but I enjoy looking through old books and other obsolete print media.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Pictured: what if Brock Samson was the one with the parasitic twin.

Good of Aquaman to give him his old clothes, too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

That is awesome! Archive.org is one of the best things to come from the internet.

I wish I could earn a living by digitizing stuff. This may come as a shock, but I enjoy looking through old books and other obsolete print media.

If anyone around here should work for / with the Internet Archive, it's you.

I have to admit my habit of browsing archive.org for oddities has fallen off since I've been working from home in quarantine, but it really is one of the modern wonders of the world.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You can't earn a living from it, but an acquaintance of mine purchased a bunch of automated document scanners and way to much computer hardware to spend his free time cutting the spines off books and magazines to scan and upload to Archive.org...

https://www.decryption.net.au/completed-scans-dumbo-feather-pass-it-on-other-misc-publications/

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

So I was driving up to Shelter Cove, California a couple of weeks ago to spend some time with my pal, the Pacific Ocean. While on the road, I saw a van plastered with words about Stephen King having murdered John Lennon.

I was driving, so I couldn't take a picture, but here is one I found:

Obviously I had to look this up, and in doing so I found this website:

http://lennonmurdertruth.com/

Which led to the purchase of this fine publication:

It is something truly special. I will post more when I finally get my desktop computer set up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I bought Neave's book about his experience at Nuremberg for $3 at a book sale.
It's not particularly good, but I did find two of the errors carefully corrected by someone typing out footnotes on a typewriter (with a two-colour ribbon no less!) and carefully pasting them in place.
Research librarian? (it is a discard)

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

whats the gist of this one lol

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pekinduck posted:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I ordered a copy of this just now. At least I think it's the same as this book. Either way, I'll post it here and in the book thread when it arrives.

I'll post some of the interior when I have more time.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
kind of a ripley's believe it or not precursor?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

Ur parents' diary.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
seen in the tweet thread, seemed appropriate

https://twitter.com/BitterOldPunk/status/1300212254454034439

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I'll post some of the interior when I have more time.

That's actually less offensive than I expected.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ur parents' diary.

:mad:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I've ordered a copy of The Clown Egg Register. Apparently clowns informally copyright their specific makeup by painting it on an egg and they are all stored in some clown museum in Europe. Seriously. The book contains a lot of them (but not all I believe).

https://www.amazon.com/Clown-Egg-Register-Luke-Stephenson/dp/1452169683

I also found out about another book called The Third Reich of Dreams. It's a collection of 75 dreams from 1930s Germany after Hitler rose to power. No luck finding a copy yet, but I will be adding this to my permanent "to find" list.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

D-Pad posted:

So I've ordered a copy of The Clown Egg Register. Apparently clowns informally copyright their specific makeup by painting it on an egg and they are all stored in some clown museum in Europe. Seriously. The book contains a lot of them (but not all I believe).

https://www.amazon.com/Clown-Egg-Register-Luke-Stephenson/dp/1452169683

I also found out about another book called The Third Reich of Dreams. It's a collection of 75 dreams from 1930s Germany after Hitler rose to power. No luck finding a copy yet, but I will be adding this to my permanent "to find" list.

That is bizarre. I approve wholeheartedly!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went to a church sale today and had some great luck. First up:

Published 1959, it's using India as a case study for the evils of communism that threaten to take over the rest of the world.

This is from 1972. The back is great:

(tag yourself)

I picked up these two nice special pressings from The Folio Society.

These two caught my eye. Apparently they're not cheap on ebay. Murder by Injection is a first printing, which I can't even find anywhere for sale. I looked up the author after bringing them home and he seems like a real piece of work. Here's his Wikipedia sidebar:

Finally:

I've posted about the Foxfire book long ago in this thread when I picked up the first book. So I was thrilled to find this box set of the first three (in great shape, too).

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Seems like you’ve found QAnon’s church there.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Blue Moonlight posted:

Seems like you’ve found QAnon’s church there.

I wonder if there’s any crossover of QAnon and old Loompanics types.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I want to hang out with that gay-friendly Methodist parish from 1972. They sound nice!

(Also, "encouraging" gay people makes me think of them offering dating pep talks. Today's Sermon: Call That Dude You Met At The Club Last Weekend and Take Him Out For Brunch)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

I went to a church sale today and had some great luck. First up:

Published 1959, it's using India as a case study for the evils of communism that threaten to take over the rest of the world.

This is from 1972. The back is great:

(tag yourself)

I picked up these two nice special pressings from The Folio Society.

These two caught my eye. Apparently they're not cheap on ebay. Murder by Injection is a first printing, which I can't even find anywhere for sale. I looked up the author after bringing them home and he seems like a real piece of work. Here's his Wikipedia sidebar:

Finally:

I've posted about the Foxfire book long ago in this thread when I picked up the first book. So I was thrilled to find this box set of the first three (in great shape, too).

Holy crap! Nice score. You found some gold.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Pekinduck posted:

Kind of boring, and I wish they'd listed alias and sockpuppet accounts together instead of just listing by regdate.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anybody got $4,800 I can borrow?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Crosspost from Trump LOL thread:

I've been searching for a copy of "The Spirit and Purpose of the People of Praise," which is the 1971 handbook for the crazy cult Amy Coney Barrett belongs to. I am usually pretty good at tracking down obscure books in one form or another, but I cannot find this one anywhere. Even online references to it are rare. Not on Amazon or ebay either. Weird.

I did find two issues of their newsletter, "Vine & Branches":

https://fliphtml5.com/waov/cpst/basic

http://online.fliphtml5.com/kfrj/vejl/#p=1

Anyway, if anyone happens to come across any more People of Praise texts, please share. I will continue my search...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Extremely "graphic design is my passion" energy there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait, there's a loving tonttu cult :psyduck:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I picked up a copy of Milton's Paradise Lost yesterday solely on the basis that it seems to have belonged to a woman who kept copious notes on the entire poem.

There are several different pens and shifts in handwriting, so there may even be notes from multiple owners. These are always fun.

Heath fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 13, 2020

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Heath posted:

I picked up a copy of Milton's Paradise Lost yesterday solely on the basis that it seems to have belonged to a woman who kept copious notes on the entire poem.

There are several different pens and shifts in handwriting, so there may even be notes from multiple owners. These are always fun.

Nice! Bizarre underlines and marginal notes are a big part of the fun in buying used books.

"A. needs E."

"You make me stronger!"

"SATAN > evil"

I would enjoy reading all of that person's hot takes on Paradise Lost.

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
My late grandfather had some radical views about the government and aliens, but he always gave the best books.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Curious about that "Phoenix Journal"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah, I was curious about that one too. I found a downloadable pdf if anyone wants to check it out.

http://abundanthope.net/pages/Phoenix_Journals_-_PDF_117/PJ-06-SURVIVAL-is-only-ten-feet-from-hell-Pdf-copy_printer.shtml

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
Definitely a strange one penned by “COMMANDER ASHTAR”. My copy is apparently a first edition. I’ll post a pic later, but it looks like the publisher was changed and they put a sticker over the original publisher information with the newer Phoenix Source Distributors information.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Yeah, I was curious about that one too. I found a downloadable pdf if anyone wants to check it out.

http://abundanthope.net/pages/Phoenix_Journals_-_PDF_117/PJ-06-SURVIVAL-is-only-ten-feet-from-hell-Pdf-copy_printer.shtml

I love these short, clipped sentences - it's almost always a waving red flag for A CRAZY PERSON WROTE THIS. It's like their head is so full of important ideas that they have to race to get them all out on paper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My dad had two or three Däniken books and I read them as a kid and was all :monocle: but then my dad told me he was a complete fraud and I'd never been more disappointed in my life :(

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Hey, you may want to crop the bottom of this image. That's still an active phone number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pershing posted:

Hey, you may want to crop the bottom of this image. That's still an active phone number.

No, wait! Call the number and ask if ancient astronauts came for a visit 40,000 years ago. Enquiring minds wanna know!!