Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
My BFF is having a rough time warring with some folks who want to depose him. He's my vassal and it's kinda even odds in his war, if I gift him money will he use it to hire mercenaries to turn the tides, or would that just be flushing the cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

shortspecialbus posted:

They also shouldn't be able to call you if they outnumber their opponent by 1.5x or whatever, and they ALSO should not be able to call you for loving peasant revolts. Fix your own drat peasants, if you're in a situation where you can't handle peasants with your MAA alone you've done some really lovely stuff and deserve whatever you get.

If you know they're gonna easily be able to easily win their own wars, you can just tell them "Yeah sure", and then never show up. They usually only call you out on it if the war drags on.

A God drat Ghost posted:

My BFF is having a rough time warring with some folks who want to depose him. He's my vassal and it's kinda even odds in his war, if I gift him money will he use it to hire mercenaries to turn the tides, or would that just be flushing the cash?

Yeah, if you give them cash they will usually use it on mercs.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Broken Cog posted:

If you know they're gonna easily be able to easily win their own wars, you can just tell them "Yeah sure", and then never show up. They usually only call you out on it if the war drags on.

That's the problem - they should but don't. It's lovely to be called into a war when I'm already committed to 2 other ally wars.

Edit: the aforementioned suggestion of "no going into negative prestige" for ally war combined with maybe significantly increased prestige cost if the ally you're calling is already in ally wars, with significant growth depending how many, maybe would be a thing.

Like if you call an ally in no wars of any sort, 300 prestige or whatever.
1 ally war: 600 prestige
2 ally wars: 1200 prestige
etc

Maybe something about their own drat wars too.

There's still the issue where long-reigning rulers are gonna have 50000 prestige or more at any given moment.

ssb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 12, 2020

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's pretty convenient to be able to hand out duchies to your kids before they're 16 though. Allying them so they can call you in for peasant revolts helps with them not getting murdered.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As a public service announcement, you can Offer to Join War any of your vassals who are dealing with peasants or popular uprisings, no alliance required.

And yeah I routinely hand out lands to my 2 year old children.

shortspecialbus posted:

I cannot keep my armies at war for 20 years straight with my current economy, especially when zero of them are my own loving war. I have my own wars that I want to wage!

I've actually never had the AI call me out on not helping if I have my own war running, I'm guessing there's a "he has his own poo poo going on" escape clause in that event.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 12, 2020

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is there anything I can do so that the info tooltips when you hover over something don't show up so fast and block buttons? poo poo like trying to press the button to return to your player character gets blocked by the tooltip. I like the UI mostly but it gets so cluttered sometimes

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I've actually never had the AI call me out on not helping if I have my own war running, I'm guessing there's a "he has his own poo poo going on" escape clause in that event.

No there isn't. I got called out when I was fighting the HRE in my own war, which unsurprisingly took forever, when I was called by Byzantine. Lost the alliance. They didn't call me in until after I was at war, and they called me out and canceled the alliance when I was about halfway done with the war and couldn't commit to sending any troops because I needed them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PancakeTransmission posted:

Not just foreign heathens, foreign hobo heathens - guaranteed to not bite you in the rear end since they have little to no family to take their revenge!

Also, what the gently caress are the vikings doing in the far east of the map? It makes no sense that they would sail all the way past India to raid...

I think that area of the map has unreformed Bon characters so they might have married in. Although I don't know how they would have gotten within diplomatic range to do it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

eleven extra elephants posted:

Is there anything I can do so that the info tooltips when you hover over something don't show up so fast and block buttons? poo poo like trying to press the button to return to your player character gets blocked by the tooltip. I like the UI mostly but it gets so cluttered sometimes

There's an option that controls their behavior. I set it to "only lock when I middle click" which is way better than the default.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also, what the gently caress are the vikings doing in the far east of the map? It makes no sense that they would sail all the way past India to raid...

That is weird, especially since they must have portaged through Suez?

It's a funny thing because Vikings certainly got around, Rus' raiders made multiple runs on Thrace and all around the Caspian. I guess just telling the AI not to portage for raids would stop them from mucking around in the Indian.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I think they'll only do that if you've repeatedly joined their wars and then done nothing. I've never had them get mad at me the first couple times I've been lazy. I do make sure to help out every now and then, but it would be nice not to have them calling me up for every little conflict they have.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I managed to edit my save following the process on the wiki, apparently editing the autosaves wasn't working right for some reason, but using an actual hard disk save worked. My queen lived until 99 years old, when she finally passed her heir was already 70 years old. The first queen probably could've lived longer had she not got an unlucky roll on Seek the Aid of the Spirits and gone infirm.

This 70-year old woman had unlocked enough perks to fill out all 3 diplomacy trees, but for some reason had only spent points in the Family tree and ignored the other two (she was landed so she could assign points). Even after filling all three trees out, she eight perks left over. I guess this is the result of a genius + chancellor + dynasty exp bonus.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 12, 2020

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
If I convert someone to witchcraft, can I then blackmail them with that secret?

e: looks like No.

A God Damn Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 12, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

Not if they know that you're a witch too. You might be able to if you take the option that doesn't reveal yourself to them, but I haven't tested it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A God drat Ghost posted:

You cannot. You also cannot fabricate hooks on them because the game incorrectly believes you have a blackmailable secret.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

You can however, take your vassals kids as wards and make them witches, and then when your heir can find out the secret.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
This game continues to amaze.

As an intrigue Count in Poland I rose via murder and marriage to Duke with a claim on the Kingdom in my first gen, became besties with the King of Poland then murdered him, leaving a weak child on the throne. My second gen heir put down multiple factions against the young king, gaining his high opinion in the process, then waited until border wars put pressure on him, and took the opportunity to abduct him before pressing Kingship for myself. This infuriated the Pope, who became my nemesis and excommunicated me. At the same time, smallpox spread throughout Poland, allowing me to fling diseased bodies into the Papal court. The Nemesis Pope was infected and died soon thereafter, his successor had no opinion of me and reversed my excommunication. As I near the third generation, my 16 year old son married a Princess of France, making us the largest combined power in western Europe. Next up, I'll swear fealty to the HRE and burn it down from the inside. Also, Denmark took over all of Scandinavia.

The number of events and twists that happened throughout that whole process is incredible.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit white peace instead of enforce demands after getting warscore up to 100% in ironman games. I'm a very stupid man.

Maybe an "are you sure" popup or defaulting to "enforce demands" in that situation would be helpful for me and my fellow morons.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 13, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit white peace instead of enforce demands after getting warscore up to 100% in ironman games. I'm a very stupid man.

Maybe an "are you sure" popup or defaulting to "enforce demands" in that situation would be helpful for me and my fellow morons.

I'm legitimately confused how you have repeatedly done that, it's not really in "accidental click" territory, it's nowhere near the button you press to bring the warscore screen up and if anything the enforce demands button is much closer, and they are big buttons.

I'm not saying you are an idiot or anything but I'm wondering how that's happening. Me, however, constantly sends my sieging armies off to the middle of nowhere because I tried to right click close one of those pointless banners that come up when you release someone for a hook.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I posted about that a couple of days ago, the same rear end in a top hat showed up less than 2 years into the game when I was playing as the count of Dagon. I think it's because it's rich and the starting tech level sucks, so garrisons are small.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Is there anyway to see all the titles someone is gonna inherit? If I hover over them it just says heir to x and x and 6 other titles?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Realm page (the one where you set your Crown Authority) has a Succession Tab which shows you exactly what's going to happen.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Realm page (the one where you set your Crown Authority) has a Succession Tab which shows you exactly what's going to happen.

Not quite - it doesn't tell you exactly where vassals are going to go. For example, if you have two duchies with three counties each and three sons, under partition the youngest son will often get one county in each duchy and then become the vassal of the middle son, just to gently caress over your heir as much as possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah that is true. Particularly in cases where you're going to lose your Primary (presumably elective) title, it doesn't warn you about which vassals will go; I've been screwed over pretty hard by that one before.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

eXXon posted:

Not quite - it doesn't tell you exactly where vassals are going to go. For example, if you have two duchies with three counties each and three sons, under partition the youngest son will often get one county in each duchy and then become the vassal of the middle son, just to gently caress over your heir as much as possible.

The succession page Pitt mentioned will give the exact list of what titles each son will inherit.

You may need to expand the list next to the kid's name to see the full list, but it's accurate as far as I've seen.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Weembles posted:

The succession page Pitt mentioned will give the exact list of what titles each son will inherit.

You may need to expand the list next to the kid's name to see the full list, but it's accurate as far as I've seen.

I am aware of that and that doesn't contradict anything I said; I was merely clarifying that the succession page doesn't tell you everything you need to know because there's more than just title inheritance involved. To expand on the scenario I mentioned, suppose you have two duchies:

Capital Duchy: Counties a, b, c; Second Duchy: Counties d, e, f

... and three sons as heirs. With partition, this will usually get split up as:

Son 1: Capital duchy, counties a & b; Son 2: Second duchy, counties d & e; Son 3: Counties c & f

The succession page doesn't tell you that rather than becoming independent, son 3 (in the 2-3 times I've seen this example) will actually become a vassal of Son 2, screwing you over as Son 1. I don't think there's any way to hand out titles to avoid this scenario. Having a fourth son might help, or it might end up making son 1 only get one county. It's frustratingly unpredictable. The formula seems to try to balance number of titles, often shredding kingdom inheritors' capital duchy in the process. There appears to be some form of weighting for county value but they are mostly handed out in the order you acquired them with (since the last patch) preference for keeping counties in your duchy if possible.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 13, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I wish you could have more influence on who got what. It always auto assigns it in a way that I do not want at all, and it randomly changes. You can kind of fiddle it to a point by giving stuff away to your heirs, but you still are at the mercy of whatever the game decides.

I get that partition should be equal but the liege should get some say in who gets what.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

I wish you could have more influence on who got what. It always auto assigns it in a way that I do not want at all, and it randomly changes. You can kind of fiddle it to a point by giving stuff away to your heirs, but you still are at the mercy of whatever the game decides.

I get that partition should be equal but the liege should get some say in who gets what.

I wouldn't mind some sort of pop-up on player death where you arbitrate the succession. Maybe like the way that HOI4 hands out territory when a country surrenders.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Weembles posted:

I wouldn't mind some sort of pop-up on player death where you arbitrate the succession. Maybe like the way that HOI4 hands out territory when a country surrenders.

Or just let you do it in the succession tab before you die. The succession rules should be a guideline basically, and breaking them should piss off your children and vassals something fierce, and they should start firing claimant factions against you and your heir when he takes over.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Or just let you do it in the succession tab before you die. The succession rules should be a guideline basically, and breaking them should piss off your children and vassals something fierce, and they should start firing claimant factions against you and your heir when he takes over.

Yeah, I like this. Don't take it so far as to let us do primogeniture when we're in confederate partition or anything, but let us say "no, if the heir is getting two counties, it's going to be these two, and lovely second child is getting the worst one." Then on succession, give everyone a pressed claim on what they should have had, and a fresh "wrong liege" opinion malus to vassals.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Every succession should be an intrigue- and martial-filled affair like the end of Blackadder's first season.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of successions just firing and land being distributed arbitrarily and without resistance.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a mod which mutes/replaces that awful ooOOOOOOOOO feast sound effect?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Each succession you should go through an event chain as convoluted as the tv series with the same name

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Each succession you should go through an event chain as convoluted as the tv series with the same name

I want to be in a room with my brother when the news of our fathers death comes in. I want a chance to kill him then and there and take the entire succession for myself.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

There's no way this could backfire, right?

edit: Oh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

shortspecialbus posted:

One way to kinda game the system is to burn prestige on giving your highest titles the Saxon Elective law. That seems to completely break how the partition systems hands out the non-elective titles to the rest of your heirs. I guess it counts all of the elective titles against what your heirs would normally get in partition?

Of course, this only works as long as you can control the vote!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There's no way this could backfire, right?

edit: Oh.

playing as Alfonso is hilarious, you can easily stab your way to a massive kingdom within a decade. Plus you start off as your sister's lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SilverMike posted:

One way to kinda game the system is to burn prestige on giving your highest titles the Saxon Elective law. That seems to completely break how the partition systems hands out the non-elective titles to the rest of your heirs. I guess it counts all of the elective titles against what your heirs would normally get in partition?

Of course, this only works as long as you can control the vote!

Didn't this 1.) get patched 2.) only work for anyone that actually has saxon elective law available, i.e. saxons, even if it wasn't patched?