Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't like owning an expensive car that dumb randos know is an expensive car just by lookin at it

I bought a used Giulia for under 30k and all the guys in their 70k 8 year loan trucks think I'm rolling in dough.

People are bad at cars...and most things I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dave Inc. posted:

I bought a used Giulia for under 30k and all the guys in their 70k 8 year loan trucks think I'm rolling in dough.

How is it? A mate of mine is planning on getting a quadrifoglio even though he could get a half price lease on a Taycan (works for a fund that owns a car leasing company...). They do look nice but I'm pretty sure where my money would go in his situation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dave Inc. posted:

I think a lot of it is financing. People are just so god drat terrible at saving/managing money in general, coming up with $30K in liquid cash for a quality used vehicle is next to impossible for 95% of the population. So sweet, sweet long term financing that people only care about lowering their monthly/weekly payment is the norm and totally neglect the total cost.

Financing something more than a few years old can be difficult at a reasonable APR unless you have a good LOC/HELOC.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Managed to sneak up to the mountains and check out the very tail end of the fall colors.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.

Dave Inc. posted:

This is no joke. I bought a CPO M235i with 30k on the clock at 1.9% for less than the price of a new Base model Accord , and all the guys I work with who drive brand new giant pickups are "OOoooOOOoooh! Look at Mr. Moneybags over here!!" My coworker just bought a Crewcab 6.2L LTZ Trailboss Silverado and just gets "nice truck". I keep wanting to point out that he is paying more than double what I am, but...egh, no one is going to get it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

knox_harrington posted:

How is it? A mate of mine is planning on getting a quadrifoglio even though he could get a half price lease on a Taycan (works for a fund that owns a car leasing company...). They do look nice but I'm pretty sure where my money would go in his situation.

I love the thing, it's the Ti Sport not the Quad so not crazy fast, but it's extremely communicative and satisfying to drive. Only a few issues so far, nothing I wouldn't expect in a new car.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
this is my latest target:

"It's all original, Porsche dealership westside. I was left the car 3 years ago from family member who stored it and rarely drove it. I've driven it less than 200 miles."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, its the best year and a manual and mileage is not stupid low but not crazy high either.

Counterpoint: Cab, partial aero kit (??) . Price almost seems too good to be true if it's in really good shape but cabs are actually less desirable so that probably isn't helping.

Tough to say anything else without more info.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I wasn't sure how the rear of the cab should look with the aero kit, so it's interesting to hear it's not complete. Not off to a great start!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I personally think aero kits (even factory) don't look great, but maybe I'm in the minority :shrug:

You'll need more info/photos for any other input.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Potentially a really good deal, they do pop up, and don't last.

Expect at least a few thousand to catch up on deferred maintenance, but worth exploring.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My fourth wheel has turned up :toot:

That's a relief!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

I personally think aero kits (even factory) don't look great, but maybe I'm in the minority :shrug:

You'll need more info/photos for any other input.

I'm not a fan of the aero kit either, which the exception of the rear end... which this one is missing (lol). Here are the rest of the pics from the listing. I have no other info from the seller. I believe one other person is going to get a showing of it this evening, and if it doesn't sell, I have the next one tomorrow morning. I had to sweet talk the seller a bit to even get in before the weekend. She claims she's getting inundated with responses which I believe, given the pricing.

https://imgur.com/a/9RZajw6

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

willroc7 posted:

I'm not a fan of the aero kit either, which the exception of the rear end... which this one is missing (lol). Here are the rest of the pics from the listing. I have no other info from the seller. I believe one other person is going to get a showing of it this evening, and if it doesn't sell, I have the next one tomorrow morning. I had to sweet talk the seller a bit to even get in before the weekend. She claims she's getting inundated with responses which I believe, given the pricing.

https://imgur.com/a/9RZajw6

What's the leftmost warning light on the dash?

If it's a legit car, it'll be gone right away. If you're not the first person to see it, sad trombone. See if you can arrange something with the seller to cock block the first person.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

meatpimp posted:

What's the leftmost warning light on the dash?

Electronic spoiler, my Boxster does it for about 10 seconds on startup.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Got a VIN? I'll bet it was rear-ended, hence the missing aero piece.

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsyirAvWWSw

I wonder if an older Cayenne is in the ballpark of the FJ Cruisers I was looking at.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 13, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Looks like I may get the first look at it tomorrow morning. Assuming I have to put up or shut up before getting an inspection, what all can I do by myself in an hour or so of looking at it?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Check as much in joints and around panels for overspray. Engine lid should have all the correct OEM stickers if it's original (or a good repair). If you can't tell and it drives ok then v0v

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ranzear posted:

I was thinking the opposite... front bumper replaced and skirts added. :shrug:

willroc7 posted:

Looks like I may get the first look at it tomorrow morning. Assuming I have to put up or shut up before getting an inspection, what all can I do by myself in an hour or so of looking at it?

Good luck! I'd say picture and video the poo poo out of it and if you have questions afterwards and can't get a PPI, go over the details with a knowledgeable mechanic.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Good luck! I'd say picture and video the poo poo out of it and if you have questions afterwards and can't get a PPI, go over the details with a knowledgeable mechanic.

Good idea, I’ll try that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsyirAvWWSw

I wonder if an older Cayenne is in the ballpark of the FJ Cruisers I was looking at.

My cayenne has closed the New England Forest Rally for the last two years, routinely does off road poo poo and still even more routinely does work truck poo poo.

The first gen is a good, relatively inexpensive platform if you do your own work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

Already been mentioned, but look underneath, bushings, joints, basically rubber bits that can rot. Same thing with condition of hoses off the M96. Also make sure coolant is not showing intermix issues. A cold start is ideal. It is common for them to clang for a sec as pressure builds up, but it should go away *VERY* quickly.

I'm skeptical of that steering wheel being original. Maybe if it was a really late 99, but every one I've seen (and mine) has a 993 wheel. Maybe it was in a collision and airbag went off? Not that it's the end of the world. If the price is good and it's in good shape, who cares. You're not buying a museum piece.

Make sure the top works. Those parts are costly... and see if he has a hard top somewhere.

The spoiler light should go off after you start moving. You can use the manual switch in the drivers footwell (fusebox cover iirc) and check the spoiler wall for cracks (super common). Also check the 3rd brake light, both in the spoiler and the main one for cracks/burn outs. They're pieces of junk and not expensive to replace.

Check the frunk and trunk lid for stickers and the option sheet/sticker.

e: Spoiler should raise around 122KPH/75MPH

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 14, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

My car is branded with that PCNA option so was likely a media/demo car. What are the chances it was used for this Edmunds article if the options match right down to the exact MSRP on my sticker? (Click the specs link in the second box, can't link directly.)

The only thing that doesn't match is the tires, but they could have been roasted off and replaced already. Article has PZeros, Potenzas when I got it. It also has a front plate now, as required in Washington. Manual and Burmester just has to be so goddamn rare unless PCNA did this exact spec for multiple demo vehicles.

I should pull the sticker out again to see if it has a delivery location. Edmunds seems to be around Santa Barbara.

If it was originally in California, this might also be it being checked out by Adam Carolla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBo58Rom4IU

Manual, Burmester, 20" wheels. I can't tell if those are the ventilated seats, but it does have the button (blurry).

Oh, and I guess the rear wiper is rare too. Both appearances have it.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 14, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It’s very possible. I don’t know how often multiple press cars are identical, but it seems very likely that’s your car especially since the msrps even match.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Already been mentioned, but look underneath, bushings, joints, basically rubber bits that can rot. Same thing with condition of hoses off the M96. Also make sure coolant is not showing intermix issues. A cold start is ideal. It is common for them to clang for a sec as pressure builds up, but it should go away *VERY* quickly.

I'm skeptical of that steering wheel being original. Maybe if it was a really late 99, but every one I've seen (and mine) has a 993 wheel. Maybe it was in a collision and airbag went off? Not that it's the end of the world. If the price is good and it's in good shape, who cares. You're not buying a museum piece.

Make sure the top works. Those parts are costly... and see if he has a hard top somewhere.

The spoiler light should go off after you start moving. You can use the manual switch in the drivers footwell (fusebox cover iirc) and check the spoiler wall for cracks (super common). Also check the 3rd brake light, both in the spoiler and the main one for cracks/burn outs. They're pieces of junk and not expensive to replace.

Check the frunk and trunk lid for stickers and the option sheet/sticker.

e: Spoiler should raise around 122KPH/75MPH

Thanks for the thorough reply. If the steering wheel is original and it’s a late 99 does that mean it might have the single row IMS? Any way to check that?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not without dropping the transmission afaik.

I think 2000 was the change over year, but honestly I'm not 100% sure.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I saw the car today. Looked pretty good, here is a pic dump for now. Trying to decide in the next few hours if I should take it home before other buyers see it. Help me goons! The side skirts are not completely on (with gravel stuck in there) and there is some oil seepage underneath (RMS?). Other than that it seemed pretty clean. Oh, and there is some weird bubbling/swelling in the tail lights. Drove great.

https://imgur.com/a/7KU7mS6
https://imgur.com/a/i2Twg2L

edit: care has only been driven 400 miles in the last 3 years, although it has been stored indoors under a cover and on a battery tender. Only records should could get by calling the local dealer was for a battery replacement and repairing some rodent damage, although the extent of which was unknown.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 14, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Why have the door strikers been hosed with so much

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Why have the door strikers been hosed with so much

Best case scenario is that it was wrapped, all the way inside the door sills. More likely is that it's been hit. Look at the molding that's barely attached: paintwork or wrap? It's not clear from the pictures but that thing has been severely messed with.

Also somebody jammed a way too high wattage bulb in the tail lights and melted them.

The underside of the car, while not awful, is in pretty bad shape for what it should be.

It's an overall very uninspiring example.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Uninspiring at 16k even ?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Uninspiring at 16k even ?

I'd want to know about the paintwork/bodywork. If it was just a bad wrap with no actual paintwork ever done/hasn't been hit I suppose it's worth $16k to someone who's into that kind of thing. I wouldn't feel like you got ripped off or anything. Again, providing no body or paint work was ever done.

Still uninspiring, just priced appropriately for what it is.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It was not wrapped to my knowledge but it was in an accident in 2001, long before the current owner got it. She’s unlike to know anything about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

It was not wrapped to my knowledge but it was in an accident in 2001, long before the current owner got it. She’s unlike to know anything about it.

So it was hit. Yeah, that car isn't special enough to buy one that's been hit unless you're getting it at salvage price and are 100% okay with that. I mean, seriously, just from your pictures you can tell how poorly the repair was done.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The side skirts being like that or something else? The rust around the door latches?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

Best case scenario is that it was wrapped, all the way inside the door sills. More likely is that it's been hit. Look at the molding that's barely attached: paintwork or wrap? It's not clear from the pictures but that thing has been severely messed with.
That's what I was getting at, it takes a decent hit to need to gently caress with the door alignment on both sides. I'd personally keep looking :smith:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The side skirts being like that or something else? The rust around the door latches?

Yes and yes. If they had to move the strikers around that thing got hit HARD. And obviously it wasn't put back together properly (side skirts).

Based on that I'd be going around it with a paint depth gauge and or looking down the long sides at an angle to see where the paintwork was done. I'd be looking at odd tire wear and/or alignment adjustments that are maxed out.

It's a turd. Move on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yech. It was hit pretty hard and had a sub par shop do the repair on the cheap. I would be curious to see what's hiding under the aero kit from a total trainwreck curiosity standpoint, but no thanks.

If you can get it for an absolute steal and it scratches your 911 itch, I guess whatever, but it has too many negatives even at $16K.

This is not a find. It's a parts car that still drives.

e: What is with all the black sealant goo around the weatherstripping?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 14, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

This is not a find. It's a parts car that still drives.
Nail => head

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Front bumper replaced... along with most of the rest of the front end.

At least there's an answer as to why the steering wheel is the wrong year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Option sticker on the frunk looks original. I think you can get repos made but it seems appropriate from the photo. Anyone ever try to remove one before? I just assumed you couldn't do it without destroying it.

As a side....

Willroc, I'm not looking to sell but if you're desperate my 996 Coupe is available, but it is Canadian spec and shipping/importing/all that BS would be 100% on you.

It's certainly not perfect, but it belongs in the Stuttgart museum compared to that.