Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

For me the game has definitely sucked out my time, but I've not paid a cent, if you're not one for the cosmetics then you're safe on the money side (except maybe the subscription which saves the inventory management issues, but you can definitely play without it). There are free trials every few months so if I were you I'd give it a shot then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I'm just starting out this game, playing as a stamina necromancer so far. When I played WoW I pretty much exclusively did PvP but I'm really enjoying PvE so far in questing. I have yet to hit level ten, I'm looking forward to group content.

edit: if anyone is looking for a buddy to play with I'd be down, I'm available in the evenings EST

are there builds that work for both PvP and PvE? I want to do both and it seems like the guides posted here lean one way or another

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 12, 2020

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Good news for anyone still wasting their time on this game, there's a free trial of ESO+ going on now, take advantage of it to throw all your crafting poo poo in the bag.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

does gear matter in early level PvP? I'm getting my rear end handed to me and doing no damage

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

a pale ghost posted:

does gear matter in early level PvP? I'm getting my rear end handed to me and doing no damage

PvP is probably the one place where gear does matter yeah.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

Gear matters but I would guess the real biggest problem you run into in early level PvP is that you just don't have a good mix of skills available to you. A lot of valuable skills are later in skill lines, so you probably don't have them. Going from random gear to matched gear with bonuses is noticeable, but it's not going to get you from rear end handed to you to fair fight, it'll just make it take a little longer to get your rear end handed to you, though that little longer can be valuable.

If you're not doing battlegrounds you should. Small PvP fights, some people will trounce you but you'll also find people who aren't very good, they only take 10-15min and they'll level you up pretty quick.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Gear matters but I would guess the real biggest problem you run into in early level PvP is that you just don't have a good mix of skills available to you. A lot of valuable skills are later in skill lines, so you probably don't have them. Going from random gear to matched gear with bonuses is noticeable, but it's not going to get you from rear end handed to you to fair fight, it'll just make it take a little longer to get your rear end handed to you, though that little longer can be valuable.

If you're not doing battlegrounds you should. Small PvP fights, some people will trounce you but you'll also find people who aren't very good, they only take 10-15min and they'll level you up pretty quick.

yeah, I've been doing BGs and have been having fun but I'm almost always the worst person on my team.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you're playing a stam class, slot and use vigor. Then go and find one proc set and one defense/sustain set. Something like Shacklebreaker (sustain) and Ashen Grip (damage). Ez wins abound.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Scyantific posted:

If you're playing a stam class, slot and use vigor. Then go and find one proc set and one defense/sustain set. Something like Shacklebreaker (sustain) and Ashen Grip (damage). Ez wins abound.

What does it mean to "slot"? And are those sets I get from quests/dungeons?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

Slot means put it as one of your 5 skills in your skill bar. You get vigor pretty early in PvP now so if you've done a few batlegrounds you probably have access to it. You need to put a skill point in it, of course.

Both of those sets are craftable. These are all the craftable sets: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Craftable_Sets
Are you on PC? If so I can probably craft for you tomorrow or on Wed. My crafter isn't done researching so I can't do the 9 trait sets and the 8 trait sets are iffy depending on what you need, but otherwise I can probably do it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

a pale ghost posted:

It means purchase it with a skill point and put it on your skill bar. It's the only universal stamina healing skill available in the game. Luckily ZOS caved in to the casuals and moved it to the very first skill unlock in the Alliance War Assault skill line, despite the fact that Rapid Maneuver was and still is the single most useful universal non-combat skill in the game (makes your slow rear end horse not slow).
The sets I mentioned can be crafted. If you can find a crafter to make them for you, then great.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Both of those sets are craftable. These are all the craftable sets:
Are you on PC? If so I can probably craft for you tomorrow or on Wed.

Thank you both for your replies. I did slot vigor, and I morphed it into the stronger solo heal based on a guide's advice.

A crafted set would be excellent, is there anything I can do for you in return? I'm broke, I just spent all my gold dying my armor lol

edit: I'm only level 17 so I won't be able to use that crafted armor, right?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

Thank you both for your replies. I did slot vigor, and I morphed it into the stronger solo heal based on a guide's advice.

A crafted set would be excellent, is there anything I can do for you in return? I'm broke, I just spent all my gold dying my armor lol

edit: I'm only level 17 so I won't be able to use that crafted armor, right?
Post your id and someone id and I, or someone else, will add you to the guild. If you're on right now I'll hop on and do it now.

Crafting the armor is based on what you've researched, so while theoretically a level 17 character could it would only happen if you log into a character to research traits and do nothing else with that character.

Edit: I misread the question. Armor can be crafted at a bunch of different levels. Every type of armor can be crafted, and hence worn, at any level. The only issue with being low level is that you'll outgrow the armor. So at level 17 the armor I craft will be just as effective for you as the max level armor would be on a max level character, but the further away you get from the armor's crafted level the less effective it becomes.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 13, 2020

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm @hexenritter in-game, could I get a guild invite? I don't get to play much online poo poo any more but I've been having fun with this as a replacement for Skyrim and after a couple of marathon sessions and making plenty of use of experience boosting scrolls my Magicka Sorceror is level 28. I'm tempted to get the 3 month ESO+ option because I plan on playing it for a long while and the benefits are appealing enough (especially the crafting bag and crowns). I don't have a set of +Training gear close to my level and am still researching it off various items and will be for the foreseeable.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hexenritter posted:

I'm @hexenritter in-game,
Are you on PC-NA? It tells me account not found for @hexenritter

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

I'm @hexenritter in-game, could I get a guild invite? I don't get to play much online poo poo any more but I've been having fun with this as a replacement for Skyrim and after a couple of marathon sessions and making plenty of use of experience boosting scrolls my Magicka Sorceror is level 28. I'm tempted to get the 3 month ESO+ option because I plan on playing it for a long while and the benefits are appealing enough (especially the crafting bag and crowns). I don't have a set of +Training gear close to my level and am still researching it off various items and will be for the foreseeable.

Use the free trial and see if you really want to commit to that 3-month plan.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are you on PC-NA? It tells me account not found for @hexenritter

Sorry, just double checked, @Hexenritter78

Scyantific posted:

Use the free trial and see if you really want to commit to that 3-month plan.

Yeah I saw that was going on and decided to check it out first. The crafting bag's been a godsend already for an inveterate crpg player who loots everything that isn't nailed down.

edit: Are items like this just vendor trash? I can't find any way to display them in my house.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 13, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hexenritter posted:

Are items like this just vendor trash? I can't find any way to display them in my house.

Yes, everything in the treasure category is vendor trash, stuff for your house is in the furniture category.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, everything in the treasure category is vendor trash, stuff for your house is in the furniture category.

There are a few daily/repeatable quests for stuff like "Collect 3 Utensils" or "Launder and deliver 5 tools," but otherwise vendor trash.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

SplitSoul posted:

That's a shame. But, that's just cleared a bunch of inventory space and subsidised my empty soul gem habit.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

What is the ESO plus craft bag? I just subscribed for the XP bonus and DLC

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

What is the ESO plus craft bag? I just subscribed for the XP bonus and DLC
When you pick up flowers or ingredients or other crafting materials they don't go into the normal inventory, they go into an accountwide always accessible unlimited craft bag. For those of us without ESO plus they do go into the regular inventory so we have to be a lot more careful with inventory management, and regularly go back to the bank to deposit stuff. Those ingredients also have stack limits (usually 200) so 1000 steel ingots takes up 5 inventory slots. Multiply that by all the different mats in the game and it ends up becoming a game unto itself to keep everything straight and still have enough inventory space. Once you're max level and and if you keep up with it it's not too bad because that reduces the amount of different things you have to deal with quite a bit, but it's definitely a chore that takes up time.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

That's pretty cool.

Is there a reason I can't morph my necro's goliath ability? Ravenous goliath is supposed to unlock at level 12 in that skill tree and I have it at level 20 and i still can't morph it

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

a pale ghost posted:

That's pretty cool.

Is there a reason I can't morph my necro's goliath ability? Ravenous goliath is supposed to unlock at level 12 in that skill tree and I have it at level 20 and i still can't morph it

You have to get a skill to level IV to morph it, and have a skill point.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

You have to get a skill to level IV to morph it, and have a skill point.

Oh ok, I haven't been using it much so that's probably why I can't morph it!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

Oh ok, I haven't been using it much so that's probably why I can't morph it!
Skills level up from being in you skill bar when you get xp, so you need to have it slotted for use but the actual use of it doesn't matter.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Post your id and someone id and I, or someone else, will add you to the guild. If you're on right now I'll hop on and do it now.

My ID is @keepcoolbruv

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What's the damage discrepancy between a staff with charge and one without?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The enchant on it won't proc. No difference beyond that.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Mose Velsor posted:

I'm more of the type that goes all in, not much for the cosmetic and stuff. I think I will pass ESO and give Albion a chance.

Give both a chance!

Very different games really and with Albion you'll eventually get to a point where you'll need lots of gold and things due to the permaloss gear. As with ESO you can grind it out or cash store it too. Both are fun games however. The main difference I guess aside from the obvious is that Albion is more reliant on group play vs ESO to get anywhere.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

So I was building my stamcro to be a PvP character, but I'm contributing jack poo poo in BGs so far and I'm getting really disoriented with how fast it is. I'm considering that PvE might be more for me. The guides online have the builds for each as being very distinct, is there a way to effectively do both or am I pigeonholed?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

So I was building my stamcro to be a PvP character, but I'm contributing jack poo poo in BGs so far and I'm getting really disoriented with how fast it is. I'm considering that PvE might be more for me. The guides online have the builds for each as being very distinct, is there a way to effectively do both or am I pigeonholed?
I'm not good at either PvE or PvP so take this with a grain of salt, but it depends on what "effectively do both" means. If you mean have the exact same build and playstyle and be top level, then possibly not. If you mean be good at both then sure. For starters you can always swap skills around, so once you level up the skills enough to morph them as desired the only conflict would be if your builds need conflicting morphs. You can always swap slotted skills and armor. (You can also respec at a cost) There are more than enough skill points in the game. And if you're not looking to for the meta you can certainly use the same build in both and be effective.

PvE has the advantage of predictability. You're not going to get ganked by a hidden nightblade in PvE. You're not going to get critical hit by an equal in PvE. Even the big bosses that can one hit kill you in PvE you can prepare for in a way you can't in a PvP battleground. Also PvE enemies can be kited or tanked or run away from in ways that you can't in PvP.

One thing I'll say about battlgrounds is that Deathmatch loving sucks if you're not good, like me, but in the other ones you can still contribute if you try to avoid the big brawls and try to accomplish whatever needs doing like capturing a flag or stealing a relic. Also in non-deathmatch, even if you die, just defending a flag or relic for a few more seconds or distracting an enemy and forcing them to deal with you instead of doing something else can be quite useful.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Xinder posted:

Recently got really invested in TES after my wife made me play through Morrowind for the first time. Grabbed ESO during the sale and I'm surprised by how much an MMO is clicking for me. We've been playing through as just a duo so far (only about a week) and I probably am only going to be doing pve forever but if the EU guild is still around I wouldn't mind an invite. It might make the crafting stuff easier, and maybe we'll want to try that terrifying Halls of Fabrication again at some point and be smart enough to get an actual group this time

Anyways I'm @xinder5 and she's @FeudalLesbian

lol okay i guess the EU guild is dead because i never got an invite.

On a more exciting note: the ESO+ trial is letting us play through Clockwork City as a break from Vvardenfell and we are loving all the lore. We stop for like 10 minutes in every new dungeon or whatever to read the newest volume of Truth in Sequence. Are there any other dlc zones we should be looking into for this kind of good writing? I could be convinced to go pretty much anywhere except Skyrim which Bethesda (and i guess ZOS in this case) refuse to do anything interesting with.

e: actually i would go to skyrim if you told me they had wasabi and snow whales in the game

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Xinder posted:

e: actually i would go to skyrim if you told me they had wasabi and snow whales in the game

How do you feel about adorably chubby not-walruses, cute little Fennec foxes and sweetrolls?

fake edit: As well as my Altmer Sorceror, I've also made a Dunmer dual dagger/bow Nightblade and a Breton Necromancer now, and at some point I want to get the vampire and lycanthropy skill lines, just haven't decided which one for which character yet.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I notice this thread is way slower than the FF14 thread, is the game less popular? I tried FF14 but it seems really really boring

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

a pale ghost posted:

I notice this thread is way slower than the FF14 thread, is the game less popular? I tried FF14 but it seems really really boring

This game is not anime.

Goons fuckin loooove anime poo poo.

But also there's only like 5 people posting itt regularly.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's not just the thread, the goon ESO discord has mostly dumped the game and moved on to FFXIV on account of it being a better managed game. I'd go into more detail but I'm not going make myself look/sound like a broken record. I ditched ESO late last year after being fed up with the performance issues. My house is still a good travel location for goons playing though, I've got it set up with a banker and every craft station (base versions, I never bothered with attuned stations).

Xinder posted:

lol okay i guess the EU guild is dead because i never got an invite.

On a more exciting note: the ESO+ trial is letting us play through Clockwork City as a break from Vvardenfell and we are loving all the lore. We stop for like 10 minutes in every new dungeon or whatever to read the newest volume of Truth in Sequence. Are there any other dlc zones we should be looking into for this kind of good writing? I could be convinced to go pretty much anywhere except Skyrim which Bethesda (and i guess ZOS in this case) refuse to do anything interesting with.

Most of the EU players play on NA anyway (at least to my knowledge). The latency isn't bad for casual stuff. But yeah, EU guild was always DOA. Given that you've probably invested enough time into your EU account I would not recommend migrating to NA.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

a pale ghost posted:

Pretty sure it's mostly the anime/JRPG thing, which has a much stronger community of online discussions. A slight dash of PvP community being far more integrated in-game than out (much like GW2) and the fact that it's really a love it or hate it game thanks to the combat system. Another reason for less online discussion is ESO doesn't really have competition, it's closest is GW2 but the progression system and other mechanics of the game make them significantly different from each other. FFXIV will always have a lot of discussion generated for being in the shadow of WoW.

When you look at the numbers that do get released the two games aren't that far apart, with FFXIV in the lead, it just doesn't drive discussion the same way.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

nessin posted:

Pretty sure it's mostly the anime/JRPG thing, which has a much stronger community of online discussions. A slight dash of PvP community being far more integrated in-game than out (much like GW2) and the fact that it's really a love it or hate it game thanks to the combat system. Another reason for less online discussion is ESO doesn't really have competition, it's closest is GW2 but the progression system and other mechanics of the game make them significantly different from each other. FFXIV will always have a lot of discussion generated for being in the shadow of WoW.

When you look at the numbers that do get released the two games aren't that far apart, with FFXIV in the lead, it just doesn't drive discussion the same way.

that's reassuring. I haven't enjoyed leveling in an MMO like I have in ESO, I want it to last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Hexenritter posted:

How do you feel about adorably chubby not-walruses, cute little Fennec foxes and sweetrolls?

Very cute, but not lore-exciting. I guess maybe we'll check out Summerset or Elysweyr and hope for the best

Scyantific posted:

Most of the EU players play on NA anyway (at least to my knowledge). The latency isn't bad for casual stuff. But yeah, EU guild was always DOA. Given that you've probably invested enough time into your EU account I would not recommend migrating to NA.

Disappointing but not surprising. Guilds don't seem particularly important unless you're planning to invest in them anyway. We're making do just fine without being in any.