Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

drat its a shame there can't be one big state that helps maintain these tiny ethnicities while supporting them and providing security.

assad my people yearn for freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

You could take it back even further if you wanted to, cuz the Armenians and Jews often filled the same societal niches in the region, with all the competing interests that implies. Trying to rile up their muslim neighbors to take out the heathen competition was pretty common. Solidarity is hard folks.

Is that what happened to the Assyrians and Kurds

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

who needs that when you get pizza hut

And after everything... he ordered it with combo toppings.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Oct 13, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Vasukhani posted:

doing x place was y% z ethnicity so therefore it belongs to q state is stupid. No place was ever homogenous

Yeah. The Armenian highlands was among the least ethnically homogenous places on earth and only two pieces of it had a majority anything prior to the genocides. Ethnostates were probably the shittiest way possible of dividing a place like that up. Dig up woody wilsons bones and throw them in a sewer plz.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Is that what happened to the Assyrians and Kurds

Sometimes. Its not like the Turks needed help doing pogroms, but having a mutual oppressor never really got in the way of local rivalries and ethnic hatreds. And shock at leopards eating faces is a universal human experience. But if you're talking the 19th-20th century killings, no. Those were pretty much entirely the Turks and Kurds themselves, with maybe a side of blame for the Brits and Russians.

On a different note:

Zedhe Khoja posted:

So awhile ago I thought I would start an effortpost on Armenia and Azerbaijan, but found it getting...rather long. So instead I'm breaking it up into a series of smaller posts covering specific areas. The first one started as a post on the Julfa Armenians but, once again, too big. This first post doesn't have any suggested reading or sources because its mostly wikipedia, encyclopedia iranica, and oxford dictionary articles. The next one will be mostly taken from Sebouh Aslanian's excellent book on the Julfite trade network. Without further ado:
On Armenias, Great and Small
Nakhchivan Part.1: Countdown to Extinction

Tune in next time for Nakhchivan Part 2: Julfa(s)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Vasukhani posted:

drat its a shame there can't be one big state that helps maintain these tiny ethnicities while supporting them and providing security.

Oh and who should that be? Who do you think that should be? There's a very clear set of three options and I'd love to know how you think any one of them is going to work out here in the year 2020.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Oct 14, 2020

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

OhFunny posted:

Oh and who should that be? Who do you think that should be? There's a very clear set of three options and I'd love to know how you think any one of them is going to work out here in the year 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRLL5o7AQs0

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah we all know how this conflict ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z77JFw2D6f8

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
Unrelated to anything important, I think the Azeri cyrillic script is a cool concept and I'm kind of sad that it's apparently gone the way of Serbian cyrillic script. Just real pretty to look at, in a weird way. Also the dotless i is a very good sound/concept that english should have stolen a billion years ago.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
our epic armenian comrades have blocked off both sides of the 134 freeway rn lul

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Started reading Black Garden by Thomas de Waal, and I will keep going despite him referring to the USSR as the Soviet Empire.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I liked the RWN interview. Is the project of Turkey and Azerbaijan really to connect their countries through Armenia as she suggests?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/UnitedHumanity5/status/1315382419239964673?s=20

Feeling like maybe it's tad unwise to stand at the literal border of a war zone to watch the heavy exchange of heavy caliber guns and rocket artillery.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Oct 14, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

OhFunny posted:

Feeling like maybe it's tad unwise to stand at the literal border of a war zone to watch heavy the exchange of heavy caliber guns and rocket artillery.

wait how far apart are these MLRS batteries, they seem stupid close to each other

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait how far apart are these MLRS batteries, they seem stupid close to each other

they look like they're shooting past each other at stuff behind

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Feeling like maybe it's tad unwise to stand at the literal border of a war zone to watch the heavy exchange of heavy caliber guns and rocket artillery.

holy crap

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/ShStepanyan/status/1316274354032914433

confirmed by Azerbaijan too

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Came to post this. Pretty massive escalation, but the lack of casualties probably doesn't make this the "Russia HAS to invade Azerbaijan now!" event alot of the Armenian nationalists seem to be crowing about in the various comment threads.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

powerful picnic at bull run vibes

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

OhFunny posted:

This is very fake unless Iranians have a Russian announcer who explaining what each weapon system is

this is a normal russian military demonstration

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Srsly curious what the target for that was, that is some cold-war-gone-hot level firepower

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

Vasukhani posted:

This is very fake unless Iranians have a Russian announcer who explaining what each weapon system is

totally normal iranian RUSSIA hoodie in the first frame

i remember the video (somehow with better audio quality) showing up earlier this year, it's absolutely a victory day demonstration thing

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Kanye suspends presidential campaign to go fight in Armenia is just the twist the year needed

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
can we please not have our hearts go out to the suffering people of armenia and/or our brave turkish proxy allies holding nato's southern flank against the russian proxy hordes, im just so tired and so apathetic

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think a concert in Armenia is going to sell as much merch as Kanye wants

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol asking for armenia to cover the costs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol asking for armenia to cover the costs

tbf kanye parachuting in and getting hit by a SMERCH rocket would be the best PR dollar for dollar that aremenia could buy

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Smythe posted:

our epic armenian comrades have blocked off both sides of the 134 freeway rn lul

this reminds me, earlier this year Edmen Shabazyan (LA Armenian UFC fighter, trained by fellow Armenian-American and noted moron Edmond Tarverdyan) came out with the Artsakh flag before his main event fight, and several Muslim UFC fighters (Khabib, Zabit, Chimaev, their manager Ali Abdelaziz) threatened to quit on the spot over it

Edmen lost the fight and that helped to smooth things over

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

That's good to know. I thought that was the Iranian flag on the flagpole.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Smythe posted:

this will win the hearts and minds of a country that literally only cares about driving.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
nice to see some direct action against NATO

wisconsingreg has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Jan 16, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Azeri propaganda TV is showing video from central Jabrayil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabrayil

indicating their forces have pushed fairly deeply into NK.

I wonder how they can hold on without Russia stepping in. They probably have close to 1000 casualties (have reported 500 killed), I dont see them being able to hold on unless someone steps in soon.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Շնորհակալություն Քանյե, շատ հոյակապ!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

Azeri propaganda TV is showing video from central Jabrayil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabrayil

indicating their forces have pushed fairly deeply into NK.

I wonder how they can hold on without Russia stepping in. They probably have close to 1000 casualties (have reported 500 killed), I dont see them being able to hold on unless someone steps in soon.

I believe they've been tussling over Jabrayil for at least a week.

I'm more balmy on Armenia's chances. Azerbaijan's advances have been confined to the southern foothills where advancing is comparatively easy and the terrain is much more open. Penetrating into the mountainous interior is going to much much more difficult and would neutralize a lot of Azerbaijan's advantages. The fact that Az agreed to a ceasefire also seems to suggest that their offensive capability is waning.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

pretty interesting watching these two nations with their pitiful militaries slugging it out for no reason while literally 99% of the US population has no idea this is happening or where either of these countries are. am i correct in my assumption that they've basically burned out their conventional capabilities and are now randomly bombing civilian centers because that's all they can do to turn the tide? or is somebody winning

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Nobody seems able to advance more than a few hundred feet without exploding. It looks like an entrenched stalemate where everyone is just digging in deeper and coming up with new ways to hide assets.

But the info from this corner of the world is so terrible it's hard to say, if you just follow a bunch of people on twitter who live in the area it's a mess of cheerleading and pure bullshit.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pryor on Fire posted:

Nobody seems able to advance more than a few hundred feet without exploding. It looks like an entrenched stalemate where everyone is just digging in deeper and coming up with new ways to hide assets.

But the info from this corner of the world is so terrible it's hard to say, if you just follow a bunch of people on twitter who live in the area it's a mess of cheerleading and pure bullshit.

This is going full Balkan. There are videos that came out today showing the execution of Armenian pows by Azeri forces and Armenians beating a dying Azeri soldier to death.

good job gorby!!!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

drones turning actual modern warfare between states into a ww1 trench warfare hell but worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This isn't the first time armies have discovered that enemy air superiority is bad, everyone's gonna come up with some antidronemissiles and spam those and then it's back at square one.