Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I’m torn on it. It’s kind of stupid, kind of cool, but I feel like a synth would be cooler. I am guessing this thing will cost north of 10k. It also reminds me of the Paul Gilbert’s drill pick.
https://youtu.be/hZTvlujtUx4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That circle guitar is halfway to just a straight up music machine like the famous Wintergatan Marble Machine. It's nifty but in the grey zone between a machine and an instrument. Also I feel like you could achieve the same effect in a synth or messing with samples of guitar strings being plucked. Like they reinvented the wheel here.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Krustic posted:

It also reminds me of the Paul Gilbert’s drill pick.

All those unheeded shop teachers’ warnings.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

SaintFu posted:

All those unheeded shop teachers’ warnings.

Did he still do the drill thing after his accident? (Turns out long hair and high-speed spinny things don't mix.)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
https://youtu.be/Jlm_Q4J5JGw

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The reigning king of HM-2 clones has an obscure movie recommendation:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Krustic posted:

I’m torn on it. It’s kind of stupid, kind of cool, but I feel like a synth would be cooler. I am guessing this thing will cost north of 10k. It also reminds me of the Paul Gilbert’s drill pick.

The circle guitar definitely has the "solution in search of a problem" vibe.

Like there might be one or two songs that cool with it and a million others that rip off those two.

I think it could have legs as almost a weird electric hurdy gurdy in sound, however. Or add a bunch of pedals for shoegaze city.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If you had an 8 string circle guitar, you could do some cool two-handed chords i guess.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It should have an interchangeable bowing ring that you rosin up like a hurdy gurdy.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUpPBcg1cYY

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

Did he still do the drill thing after his accident? (Turns out long hair and high-speed spinny things don't mix.)

Yep. I saw him on tour in 07/08 and during his (short) set he played Daddy Brother Lover Little Boy, drill solo included.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I saw the circle guitar videos a couple weeks ago and what he's doing is strumming all the strings with a rhythm set by pegs inserted into the circle. Then, he uses one hand to fret and the other to switch the hexaphonic pickup outputs on/off (buttons are momentary and switches will toggle output of each string).

So acoustically it's bashing away at all of the strings all of the time. At first I thought maybe he was toggling a mechanical lever to push up the pick/peg for certain strings, but I don't think that's the case.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

stillvisions posted:

The circle guitar definitely has the "solution in search of a problem" vibe.

Like there might be one or two songs that cool with it and a million others that rip off those two.

I think it could have legs as almost a weird electric hurdy gurdy in sound, however. Or add a bunch of pedals for shoegaze city.

I agree with the above poster that said it seems like you could achieve very similar sounds plus a whole lot more with a synth or samples. Not really interested even it it was gonna be affordable.

The cover nobody asked for or wanted. Love it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The reigning king of HM-2 clones has an obscure movie recommendation:

Akira isn't really obscure.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
:thejoke:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

A person trapped in a cave with only an autoharp and an awareness of a synth’s arpeggiator designed a guitar and

E: is that a moog/behringer synth behind him? With the blue cable

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 15, 2020

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Jr. posted:

E: is that a moog/behringer synth behind him? With the blue cable

It looks like the Moog DFAM and Mother32. They have 2-3 synths in that form-factor iirc

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

"." posted:

I know it's said before that Wish You Were Here on CD has a lot of different masterings. I decided (after obtaining 4 different copies of this great album) to analyze what different masterings I have.

My copies are:

1986 CDP 46035 2 EMI Swindon CDP 746035-2 @ 2 :5:10.

1989 CDP 46035 2 Sonopress West Germany SONOPRESS C-7272/CDP7460352 A

1990 CK 33453/DIDP 050004 DADC USA DIDP-050004 6 + ++ +++++

1994 7243 8 29750 2 1/CDEMD 1062 EMI Uden 829750 @ 3

The peaks per song are:

100/100/100/100/100

94.9/100.0/95.1/90.5/88.5

100/100/100/100/100

97.7/97.7/97.7/97.7/97.7

At first it seems that mastering 1 & 3 have the same mastering, but I found out that mastering 1, 2 & 4 stay in sync and mastering 3 runs slightly faster. This indicates that mastering 3 is a different mastering then mastering 1 (altough all tracks peak at 100) and mastering 1, 2 & 4 are all made from the same digital file (all in sync).

The next question is: is mastering 4 a clone of mastering 1 with a volume reduction? Yes, when I inverted mastering 2, adjusted the volume and combined it with mastering 1 they cancel out.

So what's up with mastering 1 & 2? They look different by way of the peaks, but by inverting, adjusting volume and combining they cancel out completely!

In the end mastering 1, 2 & 4 are all the same with volume adjustments. It appears the cleanest is mastering 2. This one only peaks at 100 at track 2. This was raised in volume for mastering 1, causing all the 5 tracks to peak at 100. This was finally used to make mastering 4 by reducing the volume again and create a mastering which has all tracks with 97.7 peaks.

Mastering 3 is the odd one out. It looks like this was made from a different analogue tape or the same analogue tape on a different machine.

Who gives a gently caress

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Eh, it's kind of interesting from an audio nerd perspective but as far as enjoying the music yeah who gives a gently caress.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I first listened to that album while driving to and from university, in a 60s Mini with very little soundproofing, on a 80s car cassette player connected to a Tandy speaker stuck in each door bin. Don't think I've ever enjoyed it as much as in that car.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Not even mastering engineers care this much about mastering

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was pretty cool and now I want a summary of an in-depth article following the argument that led to the switch back after #3

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is about the amount of time my new testament professor in college spent explaining the gospel source documents, and it reads a lot like that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

Not even mastering engineers care this much about mastering

When I read it I was almost certain this was the author's point.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The only thing that matters is if you can HEAR the difference, which is supposed to be the point of remastering. Often a remaster is just limiting/compressing to make things louder and a lot of them gently caress up by going too loud and distorting. And some of them are those weird examples like the Rust In Peace remaster where Dave basically rerecorded a third of the album and made it sound substantially worse.

But in this case, I really don't think it's noticeable, and therefore shifty advertising if they're all "newly remastered!" on the packaging. But if they're not pushing it, then yeah. It probably doesn't matter.

I have preferences in masterings for sure, but they're legit audible, not "I had to compare the waveforms" poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's not just a comparison, as in "hmm does this one sound like that one?" He's inverting one and overlaying it on the other. If they are identical (granted he matched their volumes, but did so allegedly without altering the waveforms beyond amplitude... no clipping in other words) they will cancel each other out and create silence which is what happened. I think it's interesting, lazy and funny that this constitutes a "remaster" and leads one to believe these products are the cash grabs we always suspected they were.

If it makes you happy, though, then it does not matter. Which is your point, I think.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

And some of them are those weird examples like the Rust In Peace remaster where Dave basically rerecorded a third of the album and made it sound substantially worse.

otoh it gave us dave doing his best macho man randy savage impression in the call and response part of five magics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctic1jq__u8&t=243s

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Agreed on all counts.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't he do the same for Peace Sells?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that and so far so good so what, plus replacing some drum tracks with samples

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The claim was that they'd lost the original tracks/stems, but I'm just as inclined to believe it was a Ozzy/Sharon Osbourne situation where he just didn't want to pay royalties anymore.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well i mean gar samuelson died a few years before the remasters were done and chris poland played on later megadeth albums so i'm not sure that's the reason

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Bands "re-master" (i.e. cover) themselves because it gives them a bigger cut of royalties than their lousy old deals. Def Leppard was open about why: https://www.cnet.com/news/def-leppard-covers-own-songs-to-get-digital-revenues/

The extra wrinkle this article doesn't mention is sync rights for licensing to movies, TV, etc. They still have the right of refusal for the songs, so if anyone comes asking to license the song for media, they can say "yes but only our new cover". Universal gets some money, but Def Leppard gets the lion's share.

Apparently this is not uncommon for movie songs, but most bands don't admit it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is that why Testament/Anthrax did those middling re-recordings of some of their greatest "hits"?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this is where you have to admit metallica is the most clever band by exploiting a loophole in california child labor laws to get full ownership of their master tapes

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Metallica: We're Lawyered Up!

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

TGP

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

treating the guitar like a pimp would lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The post smacked me in the head because I'm basically tripping over myself to let someone play around with my gear.