Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I put so many hours into Zero Mission back in the day, figuring out just how hard I could sequence-break (the answer was "very")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I put so many hours into Zero Mission back in the day, figuring out just how hard I could sequence-break (the answer was "very")

Zero mission was practically made to be sequence broken, to the point where even the official guide told you how iirc.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cockashocka posted:

Zero mission was practically made to be sequence broken, to the point where even the official guide told you how iirc.

If it was designed with the sequence breaking in mind, though, is it really sequence breaking? Or is it just following an alternate sequence that the developers set up for you with the illusion of it being sequence breaking?

Let's say we have a sequence of events in the game that goes A -> B -> C -> D. This is the developer's intended sequence of events. If I discover a cool trick that lets me skip past B and C and go do D first, then go back and finish up B and C, then that's sequence breaking.

But if the developer deliberately set the game up so that I could pull off that trick, then it's not actually sequence breaking. It's just an alternate sequence that's set up to allow me to go A -> D -> B -> C instead of A -> B -> C -> D.

So in that regard, Metroid Zero Mission's not really a game designed around sequence breaking. It's a game with a bunch of hidden alternate progression paths that are set up in such a way as to give the illusion of being able to sequence break.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Zero Mission absolutely does have a "main path" though, what with all the Chozo statues sending you to specific places on the map to get a power-up. Whether or not it was intended that the player be able to deviate from that path is, imo, beside the point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

W.T. Fits posted:

If it was designed with the sequence breaking in mind, though, is it really sequence breaking? Or is it just following an alternate sequence that the developers set up for you with the illusion of it being sequence breaking?

Let's say we have a sequence of events in the game that goes A -> B -> C -> D. This is the developer's intended sequence of events. If I discover a cool trick that lets me skip past B and C and go do D first, then go back and finish up B and C, then that's sequence breaking.

But if the developer deliberately set the game up so that I could pull off that trick, then it's not actually sequence breaking. It's just an alternate sequence that's set up to allow me to go A -> D -> B -> C instead of A -> B -> C -> D.

So in that regard, Metroid Zero Mission's not really a game designed around sequence breaking. It's a game with a bunch of hidden alternate progression paths that are set up in such a way as to give the illusion of being able to sequence break.

By that argument no game is designed around sequence breaking.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arguably, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was thereby designed to allow sequence breaking, such as in this run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svBpkZpZcY4

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bruceski posted:

By that argument no game is designed around sequence breaking.

Plenty of games allow you to do things in an order unintended by the devs. Oversight is one thing, deliberate choices that create an optional path are another altogether

Which is to say yes, sequence breaking by definition is not by design. Hence the breaking of the sequence.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
We can get into more detail with this. The Zero Mission sequence is layered.

On the surface, you have the route the statues tell you. That's the main path or the "intended" sequence.

Then you have shortcuts and secrets the developers put in. Hidden shootable blocks, shinespark only back routes etc. - that's a side path, or an intentional break of the "intended" sequence.

And finally you have routes that are opened up because the game allows you to do crazy movement. Those paths were surely not all planned for, so it's unplanned sequence breaks, but they are intentional in the sense that the developers intended for players to gently caress around and find breaks they didn't account for.

Maybe if you really wanna be technical you can call the lower layers "deviations" from the "canon" path or whatever.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The downside on Zero Mission is that it's possible to get lost. And in one particular case, it's possible to get lost very badly.

When I played it, there was the matter of, once you get your full suit back, generally blasting your way through the Space Pirate base. I got lost and couldn't figure out which way was out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I really wish you spent more time with super missiles before getting the next missile upgrade. They're just so satisfying to shoot.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"You probably hit it from the bottom."

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Funny idea you had about the X getting upgrades you could get, very funny. I mean, it couldn't possibly happen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Love the sound that the Super Missiles make in this game.

Also that robot boss gets a little easier if you can aim diagonally off of those hanging grips. Do you really not have the L-trigger mapped to your controls for this playthrough?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think I've seen above 10 comments/posts asking about the L trigger.

I have it bound, I know what it does. But it was on the R trigger in Super Metroid. So I don't automatically think about using it. Even back when I played Super Metroid I was always just much happier jumping and shooting rather than aiming diagonally.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Another tip: You don't need to hold B (or anything else other than the D-pad) to run in this game. The Speed Booster just kicks in automatically.

EDIT:

Hot 'n' Spicy Take: Metroid Fusion was the original Among Us.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 15, 2020

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Quackles posted:

Another tip: You don't need to hold B (or anything else other than the D-pad) to run in this game. The Speed Booster just kicks in automatically.

EDIT:

Hot 'n' Spicy Take: Metroid Fusion was the original Among Us.

Does that make Samus the Imposter? She's doing an awful lot of killing and loves vents for getting around...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

pointlessone posted:

Does that make Samus the Imposter? She's doing an awful lot of killing and loves vents for getting around...

She can one-shot anything and anyone 1 on 1 and the only way she can die is by getting mobbed, like after a lynching vote. Hell yeah she's the impostor.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Natural 20 posted:

I think I've seen above 10 comments/posts asking about the L trigger.

I have it bound, I know what it does. But it was on the R trigger in Super Metroid. So I don't automatically think about using it. Even back when I played Super Metroid I was always just much happier jumping and shooting rather than aiming diagonally.

You're going to want to learn how to aim diagonally for some later bosses. Take it from me, a guy who played this whole game without knowing you could aim diagonally from a stationary position.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Some Goon posted:

"You probably hit it from the bottom."

I didn't even know that a missile could hit it from the bottom until it jumped on one of the ones Nat randomly fired.

EDIT: Also LP AM2R. I could come up with some BS reason like "it'd be interesting to see a perspective on it from someone who hasn't played the original Metroid 2" or "you could analyze how a fan tackles the same design challenges Nintendo did" or something, but really I just enjoy seeing Nat get lost and get his rear end kicked.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 15, 2020

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Fun fact: the missile tank in the glass-window tunnel is actually required. You can't finish the game without picking it up unless you glitch out the game. Predictably speedrunners have figured out how to do this, but for us normal people the minimum percent you can finish Fusion with is 1% :eng101:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

In fairness, the thing he thought was a glowing spot isn't even noticable on a GBA screen.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nat20 when trying to find secrets: bombing everything and trying to jump gaps he can't make anyway.

Nat20 when moving to an objective: Oversees the signposted path.

Really enjoying the playthrough so far none the less.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Fun fact: the missile tank in the glass-window tunnel is actually required. You can't finish the game without picking it up unless you glitch out the game. Predictably speedrunners have figured out how to do this, but for us normal people the minimum percent you can finish Fusion with is 1% :eng101:
:shrug: I feel like if you're going for a low-% run of a Metroid game, you're gonna look up the speedrun tricks on how to avoid stuff. Unless it's some fiddly frame-perfect input that most casual players won't bother with. Then again, there's probably somebody out there who managed to miss literally every non-mandatory upgrade in the game somehow.

Zedd posted:

Nat20 when trying to find secrets: bombing everything and trying to jump gaps he can't make anyway.

Nat20 when moving to an objective: Oversees the signposted path.

Really enjoying the playthrough so far none the less.
Isn't that half the fun, though? Watching someone spend an entire 20-minute video trying to figure out how to duck and shoot at the same time but who figures out wall-jumping ten seconds in? :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So the UK is going into Lockdown as of Saturday of this week.

Tea and I record in person in my room, which means that as of Saturday we won't be able to record any more. (Until we either buy Tea a remote setup or the lockdown ends. The former is limited both by money and my ability to set up his sound correctly and the latter timeframe is completely unknown)

We'll be trying to finish the entire game tomorrow as a result. I understand that this defies the purpose of LP to an extent, part of the fun is taking on board the advice you guys give and being able to talk about interesting comments we've seen during our videos, so I can only apologise for that in advance.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

So, how much do microphones cost?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
gently caress it man, the world is crazy right now and you have nothing to apologize for. Besides I've already made a dozen posts about diagonal aiming so I have nothing else to contribute :v:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This game is pretty short, you can probably do it!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

C-Euro posted:

gently caress it man, the world is crazy right now and you have nothing to apologize for. Besides I've already made a dozen posts about diagonal aiming so I have nothing else to contribute :v:

Explopyro posted:

This game is pretty short, you can probably do it!

But also the clear answer is for you two to move in together and start LPing full time.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Do what you gotta do man, I'm not going to complain.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Natural 20 posted:

So the UK is going into Lockdown as of Saturday of this week.

Tea and I record in person in my room, which means that as of Saturday we won't be able to record any more. (Until we either buy Tea a remote setup or the lockdown ends. The former is limited both by money and my ability to set up his sound correctly and the latter timeframe is completely unknown)

We'll be trying to finish the entire game tomorrow as a result. I understand that this defies the purpose of LP to an extent, part of the fun is taking on board the advice you guys give and being able to talk about interesting comments we've seen during our videos, so I can only apologise for that in advance.

Just have Tea crash at your place for the foreseeable future

problem solved :haw:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Now it's a real first-time run of Metroid Fusion! :allears:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

That was a dick move, Tea :argh:.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Good job, Tea!

Also, Nat, the pseudo screw attack has been in the games since Super Metroid. Super Metroid even teaches you about all its secret techniques in the intro demo as you progress through the game, which is why I was hoping you'd watch those once you beat the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pictures Taken Before Disaster

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Blue X are definitely peppermint-flavored :v:

I love how they start running in terror once they understand what's going on. It's another one of those little details.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I will say the next few missions will be pretty painless for the most part until you get to those two missions

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yes, it was cruel, but the LP wouldn't have been complete without it :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have to admit, there's one sequence that is my favorite part of the game, and we haven't gotten to it yet.