Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

Is this something that would be subject to review by SCOTUS?

This is not something the Supreme Court is going to hear or object to. If the Biden administration and Congress wants to redo the census, they can.

However, depending on the result it may not be strategically wise. Obviously if its hilariously hosed up then they just have to redo it, but if it ends up merely being something like "well, we think CA may have lost 1 seat they shouldn't and there's now one extra seat in Alabama", then they may want to just let it go and proceed to the redistricting if they end up loving annihilating the GOP at the state level and gain the ability to draw maps in a lot of states. Its more important to ratfuck the GOP in time for 2022, then to risk the ability to draw those maps.

What to do next depends on how badly the census gets messed up, and mathematically there's a decent reason to think that they won't be able to screw it up much. (the CHUD proposal to arbitrarily reduce the count in blue states because of illegal immigration is a totally separate issue that will be trashed by Biden and the new congress).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

sexpig by night posted:

Haha holy poo poo I'm so mad nobody posted the clip of Pelosi melting down that the dumbest man on CNN dunked on her

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Fenelon/status/1316136887199858688

That was somehow even worse than I expected.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I am so sick of this country’s politicians. A lot of them couldn’t care any less of us, we are dollar store candy to them.

I feel that even if the election happens and it’s a Biden win, we still have to deal with Trump running the country for two more months.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

sexpig by night posted:

Just pass a loving second round of checks then and then if Mitch or the white house kills it it's their problem

The brilliant negotiating strategy of "giving your opponents the only nonghoulish thing they want in exchange for literally nothing, and then get them to agree to fix the dire situation caused by their ongoing inaction later" will work about as well here as it did with passing clean increases on the debt ceiling.

I get it. A quick read of my posting history on the topic will confirm I've held the stance of "eventually you'll need to accept a deal shittier than HEROES in order to get any aid at all to people, because Republicans are absolute trash who don't care about human suffering". I'm grateful I'm not the one who has to decide when $1,200 outweighs the costs of inaction on extending the UI topup, providing a lifeline to state/local governments, funding the USPS, or standing up an effective nationwide test and trace program (which appears to be the current sticking point with the White House). Because a clean check now kills all of that until the end of January at best.

It would seem odd to bail on the process after gaining repeated concessions from the flailing White House and seeing indications that Mitch is getting nervous in order to take an offer that'll always be there :shrug:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1316142465058050049?s=21

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Burning_Monk posted:

Goddamn Democrats' messaging is such poo poo.

'WE FEED PEOPLE' I insist as I deny even the loving pennies that could put food on people's tables for a short term.

Paracaidas posted:

The brilliant negotiating strategy of "giving your opponents the only nonghoulish thing they want in exchange for literally nothing, and then get them to agree to fix the dire situation caused by their ongoing inaction later" will work about as well here as it did with passing clean increases on the debt ceiling.

I get it. A quick read of my posting history on the topic will confirm I've held the stance of "eventually you'll need to accept a deal shittier than HEROES in order to get any aid at all to people, because Republicans are absolute trash who don't care about human suffering". I'm grateful I'm not the one who has to decide when $1,200 outweighs the costs of inaction on extending the UI topup, providing a lifeline to state/local governments, funding the USPS, or standing up an effective nationwide test and trace program (which appears to be the current sticking point with the White House). Because a clean check now kills all of that until the end of January at best.

It would seem odd to bail on the process after gaining repeated concessions from the flailing White House and seeing indications that Mitch is getting nervous in order to take an offer that'll always be there :shrug:

people literally need the checks, worrying about giving trump a 'win' while he actively shits his campaign down the toilet is pointless.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that's not quite the (bad) scotus news, and it's not an accurate description of what happens if we (wrongly) end census enumeration tomorrow / next week and keep it ended

The current/yesterday state of affairs is that enumeration continues till October 31, or another three-ish weeks. The ideal is as close to 100% enumeration as feasible, and more time is good. Most states are pretty close to 100% right now, and most parts of most states are pretty close to 100%. This is due in large part to very good Census Bureau management, enthusiastic and motivated enumerators, a gigantic hiring push three ish months ago, and virtually unlimited overtime opportunities.

Unenumerated addresses are also not necessarily just marked vacant - they're fed into The Algorithm which, to massively oversimplify, fills them in with representative data proportionally to similar addresses in similar areas. This tends towards undercounting rather than overcounting for Various Pretty Good Reasons, but it is not a zero count outside of wacky edge cases.

The Supreme Court has not ruled Trump can stop the count early, but it has iirc removed the stay that prevented him from stopping it temporarily - and after October 31 he is in a much stronger position in stopping it entirely, which means that every lost day in the meantime is potentially permanently lost even if SCOTUS/the circuit aren't total assholes in their eventual ruling.

tldr: it's bad but it's not as bad as you might think

also the worst impacts of a hosed up census wouldn't be in representative allocation, they'd be in federal funding allocation which can get pretty granular,

but is also fixable by a functioning Congress

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

sexpig by night posted:

'WE FEED PEOPLE' I insist as I deny even the loving pennies that could put food on people's tables for a short term.

people literally need the checks, worrying about giving trump a 'win' while he actively shits his campaign down the toilet is pointless.

Your death is a small price to pay for our glorious liberal revolution.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/1316141403202818049?s=21

This is a proclick, parscale spent all the money and just assumed more would come
Truly a Death Star. Complete with overspending and a spectacular explosion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/1316141403202818049?s=21

This is a proclick, parscale spent all the money and just assumed more would come

yeah He like trump believes in their own fake "we are winning by a landslide in november because "LAW and order" so he blew it on dumb poo poo early.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I am so sick of this country’s politicians. A lot of them couldn’t care any less of us, we are dollar store candy to them.

I feel that even if the election happens and it’s a Biden win, we still have to deal with Trump running the country for two more months.

yeah but if/when Biden wins big, trumps power is gonna be broken hard. he will piss and moan and probably try to pardon himself and such but he is gonna be ignored even harder by the GOP and others.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yo, I don't subscribe to business insider, can somebody please post the sweet stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Everyone posted:

Yeah, pretty much this for me. And while the loss of the ACA wouldn't directly affect me immediately, that's because I work at a company with a strong union so I got good benefits. And you know god-damned well those reactionary fucks would try (and have tried) to hunt the unions to extinction to turn my rear end into a wage-serf.

Still, one thought occurred about the possible soon loss of the ACA. Medicare is very much constitutional, right? So that opens a big, "Oh-Jesus-we-gotta-fix-this-poo poo-fast-or-every-last-one-of-will-lose-his-seat-in-the-next-election" door for at least some very of Bernie's Medicare-for-All to come.

One other thing to recall about the ACA is that it was initially pyt forth by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank. It was originally the GOP alternative to Hillary Clinton's health plan in the 90s. And it required all Democrats to vote for it with zero GOP support for it to finally become law.

Yeah, I like to think this is inevitable and will simply have to happen eventually, if for no other reason that you simply can't have literal masses of people dying in the streets. But then I realize that's already sort of happening so now I'm just down to wondering where the tipping point is since nobody seems to think this is sustainable.

Trouble is, with income disparity being what it is, the ONLY way to fund it is by soaking the 5% and I don't know how that happens as long as they're the ones in charge. Things are pretty bleak and I don't see a way out. I guess we're all supposed to look up youtube videos on how to make our insulin or something. I have no idea what people think this country stands for. I really don't.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

I know whining about democrats is your whole shtick, but you're kind of showing your whole rear end with this 'Why won't the weak, controlled opposition Democrats immediately surrender to Republican hostage-taking and just pass the clean bill!!!' take.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I know whining about democrats is your whole shtick, but you're kind of showing your whole rear end with this 'Why won't the weak, controlled opposition Democrats immediately surrender to Republican hostage-taking and just pass the clean bill!!!' take.

showing your whole rear end by stating that people are starving to death and need money

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Hairy Marionette posted:

It is now and always has been freedom to perform my religion. The religion that needs to be removed from schools is all of the religion that I disagree with.

Rome loving ruined Christianity when it took Christianity as its state religion.

The Jesus Movement was old world qanon and Celsus was right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't care about 'surrender' when it's a simple issue of 'pass a loving bill saying everyone gets some more checks you dumb piece of poo poo', you cannot make me care about 'surrender' when the alternative is 'nobody gets the money they need to survive well'.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rigel posted:

This is not something the Supreme Court is going to hear or object to. If the Biden administration and Congress wants to redo the census, they can.

However, depending on the result it may not be strategically wise. Obviously if its hilariously hosed up then they just have to redo it, but if it ends up merely being something like "well, we think CA may have lost 1 seat they shouldn't and there's now one extra seat in Alabama", then they may want to just let it go and proceed to the redistricting if they end up loving annihilating the GOP at the state level and gain the ability to draw maps in a lot of states. Its more important to ratfuck the GOP in time for 2022, then to risk the ability to draw those maps.

What to do next depends on how badly the census gets messed up, and mathematically there's a decent reason to think that they won't be able to screw it up much. (the CHUD proposal to arbitrarily reduce the count in blue states because of illegal immigration is a totally separate issue that will be trashed by Biden and the new congress).

We don't want to ratfuck the GOP though, we want to draw fair competitive districts that best reflect democratic values. Eliminating Republicans with gerrymanders is how we got in this mess in the first place. Democrats gerrymandered Republicans over half a century ago and it came back to bite Democrats.

Ban gerrymandering, mandate districts be convex, use open source and transparent algorithms to maintain fairness in the system. Republicans nation wide will still lose and be locked out of power forever if they actually have to campaign and win fair elections; some will win seats but this is fine, because its a democracy; and in some places the majority are republicans and should be allowed to elect Republican representatives.

Ideally you'd have Single Transferable Vote and even places like New York would be able to send representatives for Republicans while also allowing blood red states to send additional democrats. A fairer system would be better overall in the long run and not an invitation for more roosters to roost in your attic reminding you of your mistakes.

Being fair as long as it isn't unilateral disarmament and is applied more or less all at once via something like HR.1 will be more than enough to "ratfuck" the GOP where the ratfucking is them losing national relevance because of their failed strategies and discredited ideology; there's no need to go for an eye for an eye, it's risking overreach and a clapback and we're all right back where we started.

Keep an eye on the real prize and that needs keeping an eye on the big picture.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Oh BTW since I am a huge math nerd, I did the calculations for the reapportionment based on the 2019 estimate. The final count will have a different result because there's always a couple surprises somewhere, but this is close to what we are tentatively *expecting* to see:

Gain 2 seats: TX
Gain 1 seat: AZ, CO, FL, MT, NC, OR,
Lose 1 seat: CA, IL, MI, MN, NY, PA, RI, WV

So if we still count AZ as red and CO blue for now in a normal year, we should expect +3 in reliable red states, -2 in reliable blue states, and -1 in competitive states. The GOP might hope to push that expected small gain higher.

The final two states to gain in my spreadsheet were Montana and Florida. Texas just barely missed out on gaining a 3rd seat, so if the Census does announce TX +3, don't be surprised.

edit: I guess my math slightly differs from what the media reported earlier this year. I took a seat from CA and gave a seat to MT.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 14, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I don't care about 'surrender' when it's a simple issue of 'pass a loving bill saying everyone gets some more checks you dumb piece of poo poo', you cannot make me care about 'surrender' when the alternative is 'nobody gets the money they need to survive well'.

But there's literally no way the Republicans have any interest in actually doing that? I agree that her messaging is dogshit because she's not making it clear what's actually going on, but the Republicans have never and will never agree to that so it's kind of false framing to suggest that this is just Democratic intransigence

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also McConnell has repeatedly stated he's not interested in passing any sort of stimulus so where is this bullshit about "just give the Republicans what they want" even coming from?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endorph posted:

showing your whole rear end by stating that people are starving to death and need money

what the gently caress is that probation

like come on you could have at least pretended by leaving out the “valid concerns” bit

sexpig by night posted:

you do that and then basically every state goes bankrupt and the economy craters because the White House will refuse any further stimulus, while trump is currently pleading to go bigger

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 14, 2020

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sending out a check and nothing else is the equivalent of giving someone with a broken leg a single shot of painkiller and kicking them out of the ER. When it wears off poo poo is still broken and we're right back to where we are today. To get people back on their feet we need to fix the actual problem and provide support for the entire time it takes for their leg to heal.

There, better messaging than the Democratic leadership made up in 30 seconds.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

sexpig by night posted:

Good thing I never posted about the perils of giving Trump a win! My face sure would be red.

With added emphasis:

Paracaidas posted:

I'm grateful I'm not the one who has to decide when $1,200 outweighs the costs of inaction on extending the UI topup, providing a lifeline to state/local governments, funding the USPS, or standing up an effective nationwide test and trace program (which appears to be the current sticking point with the White House). Because a clean check now kills all of that until the end of January at best.

The tradeoff isn't Checks vs a Win for Trump. The tradeoff is Checks + a ton of even more necessary relief vs Checks + no other relief. Trump and more than 50 senators really want checks. Trump wants it badly enough he's letting Mnuchin agree to a ton of poo poo that Meadows and Mitch oppose. At some point you have to pull the plug and just get the money, and again I stress how thankful I am that I'm not making that call. But this framing:

sexpig by night posted:

you cannot make me care about 'surrender' when the alternative is 'nobody gets the money they need to survive well'.
is literally the rightwing lens.

Framed from the other direction, acknowledging that the White House is willing to give up more than one trillion dollars in additional spending in order to get it passed:

"Pressure mounts on Pelosi to sacrifice $3,200 in monthly unemployment benefits, assistance to state and local governments, and a nationwide test and trace program in exchange for a single $1,200 check"

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Kamala Harris and ACB currently butting heads, it's pretty fun to watch if you like two legal experts grinding each other down to dust.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wilbur Swain posted:

Kamala Harris and ACB currently butting heads, it's pretty fun to watch if you like two legal experts grinding each other down to dust.

Are two legal experts arguing about their exchange?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the point of not signing off on a clean stimiulus check is that its perhaps the strongest carrot to get republicans to agree to other things that are more improtant because its a political win for trump (I, your favorite president just gave you money!)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TulliusCicero posted:

*Man discovers land where people already are*

Checks out

*proceeds to genocide*

Tell me more about "history and humanity* Donny :allears:

For gently caress sake, he's not even the first person from the Eastern Hemisphere: the Vikings beat him by a few centuries, and there is very strong evidence the Egyptians and Phonecians could have reached the Western Hemisphere for trade

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This veers hard into derail territory, but do you have any good reads for this? It sounds bananas on the face of it given the relative distances as compared with the viking landings in North America.

This is pages back but there is absolutely no strong evidence that they could or did besides I think some experimental studies and an experiment or two showing that it was indeed possible to sail from one end to other using some of the ships they had with modern knowledge, though I am also fairly certain that the actual trade ships they had would have almost immediately eaten poo poo because sailing the Med is way different than sailing the Atlantic.

The closest thing we have to "outside" contact and influence is some really interesting work looking at Polynesians, also some interesting trade dynamics going on near Alaska.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 14, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1316155832053174272

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

that bizarre pelosi meltdown is a real "let them eat cake" moment

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

the point of not signing off on a clean stimiulus check is that its perhaps the strongest carrot to get republicans to agree to other things that are more improtant because its a political win for trump (I, your favorite president just gave you money!)

Leaving aside the fact that it's a political win for the bad man, what is a higher priority than cash payments to the tens of thousands of people who can't like, buy food or pay their electric bill or afford a COVID test right now? Much less rent.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

FizFashizzle posted:

Are two legal experts arguing about their exchange?

I think "legal expert" is not a misleading way to describe the former attorney general of California, and a circuit judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals. I'm enjoying their interaction, it's entertaining in an extremely dry way.

edit: Now John Kennedy is up, he's entertaining in the same way that serious head trauma is entertaining.

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 14, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Leaving aside the fact that it's a political win for the bad man, what is a higher priority than cash payments to the tens of thousands of people who can't like, buy food or pay their electric bill or afford a COVID test right now? Much less rent.

continued unemployment support so instead of giving them a one time cash payment that runs out in 1-2 weeks, they get $400/week for the next 6 months. funds to make coronavirus testing free for everyone. the direct stimulus payment is probably #4-5 on the list of priorities from a relief bill, both because its not targeted (most people get money, not just people who need it the most) and because its a one time payment.

we also have no evidence that the senate would support a clean stimulus payment bill.

like, I'd love to see the dems bring a clean unemployment extension to the table and force the Senate to ignore it.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 14, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Unless I've missed something huge, there is no clean stimulus check bill on the table, it's just one of Trump's random flails that he got spooked into making after he announced there would be no deal at all randomly on twitter. It's not like Democrats are refusing to do something, Pelosi just flubbed a really easy question about something that the Republicans would already never agree to in the first place

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wilbur Swain posted:

I think "legal expert" is not a misleading way to describe the former attorney general of California, and a circuit judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals. I'm enjoying their interaction, it's entertaining in an extremely dry way.

edit: Now John Kennedy is up, he's entertaining in the same way that serious head trauma is entertaining.

No product of the conservative legal pipeline ends up a legal expert.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

That would be something called "harm reduction", which is a complex academic concept that not many people have heard of.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's no way Mitch has the votes for a clean bill of $1200 checks

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lemming posted:

Unless I've missed something huge, there is no clean stimulus check bill on the table, it's just one of Trump's random flails that he got spooked into making after he announced there would be no deal at all randomly on twitter. It's not like Democrats are refusing to do something, Pelosi just flubbed a really easy question about something that the Republicans would already never agree to in the first place

Yeah neither of these things is most likely ever going to happen because the Republicans in the Senate are lizard people. However, Trump might be able to pressure Mitch into getting something passed if the Democrats were also shouting about it, and a $1200 cash payment is the "lesser evil" ( I'm very clever ) over nothing.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah neither of these things is most likely ever going to happen because the Republicans in the Senate are lizard people. However, Trump might be able to pressure Mitch into getting something passed if the Democrats were also shouting about it, and a $1200 cash payment is the "lesser evil" ( I'm very clever ) over nothing.

But why not start with something that would do even more good and still give Trump a win? Extending unemployment.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Associated Press posted:

The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a vote to approve Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination to the Supreme Court — before her confirmation hearings have even ended.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham scheduled a committee vote for 9 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 15, the morning of the last day of hearings. Barrett’s nomination is expected to be brought up for a vote at that meeting and then delayed for a week, per committee rules.

If that happens as expected, the GOP-led committee would then vote to approve her nomination Thursday, Oct. 22. That would set up a final confirmation vote on the Senate floor the week of Oct. 26.
What is the point of the tri-phase voting? Is this some old relic from older times that hasn't been done away with, or is there an actual reason for this? Asking both from the context of the theoretical way it was intended to go and how it goes in our current hellworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Unironically the Republican strategy if Biden wins is to make sure no additional aid at all happens under any circumstances and pin the economic pain on the Democrats, and it's not clear to me if it's more likely the Democrats would be able to overcome their bullshit if new checks go out or not. I'd be willing to believe that the Republicans would be canny enough to cynically let the minimum amount of aid go out, but it would need to be hitting people's bank accounts like... already, if they were smart enough to do that, so I don't think they'd agree to one at this point. Lie about it maybe.