Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if nvidia fixes their store to take more pings then we can ping even harder. Its a never ending cycle of incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i'm supposed to feel bad for websites that transfer several MB of data for a drat store page?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would buy a FTW just for this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I got this feeling that I’m gonna get my card tomorrow. There’s something in the air. If I’m wrong I’m gonna be a laughing stock on this thread. I hope I’m right. Enough time has passed that if my retailer truly had an active purchase order with Asus I should have my card tomorrow.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Jenny Agutter posted:

i'm supposed to feel bad for websites that transfer several MB of data for a drat store page?

It's not the website transferring the data. It's all the linked ads and bullshit. Those (generally) aren't hitting the site's bandwidth, but they sure as gently caress are hitting yours.

Someone should update the script to support ABP and bring that data use waaaay down.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DrDork posted:

It's not the website transferring the data. It's all the linked ads and bullshit. Those (generally) aren't hitting the site's bandwidth, but they sure as gently caress are hitting yours.

Someone should update the script to support ABP and bring that data use waaaay down.

inspecting nvidia's shop landing page i'm seeing a 1MB javascript blob and several large images all coming direct from nvidia. it would be funny if the nvidia snatcher thing didn't allow any caching of resources, i don't know how to check that

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

No, everyone that runs it downloading GBs of data just to refresh a store page is the issue.

The stores should be able to handle lots of traffic to their static resources just fine (shame on them if they don't).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

inspecting nvidia's shop landing page i'm seeing a 1MB javascript blob and several large images all coming direct from nvidia. it would be funny if the nvidia snatcher thing didn't allow any caching of resources, i don't know how to check that

They do use an adblocker (not sure how good it is https://www.npmjs.com/package/puppeteer-extra-plugin-adblocker) and if your config says the browser is low bandwidth it won't load fonts and images.

https://github.com/jef/nvidia-snatcher/blob/main/src/index.ts#L12

Honestly this thing is crap. Just go load the store you're interested in with Dev Tools open, look in the Network requests, find the one that has stock information whether it's an XHR to an API or whether it's the search page HTML or whatever, right click 'copy as cURL' and you're 90% of the way to engineering your own lightweight stock checker.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 14, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Death Stranding is having zero issues with 1440p, DLSS, HDR and highest settings on my 65” 120hz tv.

It’s legit one of the prettiest things I’ve ever seen on a screen.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

there was a shipment of "hundreds" of 3080 FTW3 Ultras today for Q boys, moving it forward from people who hit the "notify me" button at approximately 7:26am on 9/17, all the way to those who hit the button at 7:35am.

graphics cards are fuckin dumb

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cygni posted:

there was a shipment of "hundreds" of 3080 FTW3 Ultras today for Q boys, moving it forward from people who hit the "notify me" button at approximately 7:26am on 9/17, all the way to those who hit the button at 7:35am.

graphics cards are fuckin dumb

The brunt of the cards in queue are in that first hour

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Even by the standards of this launch it seems like EVGA just can't make poo poo to sell lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
isn't there a mafia-run teamster or longshoreman's union that we can get an in with to snap-up these cards instead of going through Linux programs thrown together by reddit

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't there a mafia-run teamster or longshoreman's union that we can get an in with to snap-up these cards instead of going through Linux programs thrown together by reddit

Why do you think mobsters are always so impeccably dressed?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

what's insane is that people who work at nvidia don't even have the option for first dibs, they have to pick up a hammer and swing F5 like the rest of us plebs

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

^^^^ I bet stores with physical stock on location don't even go to the floor room. Employees must snatch them for themselves (or scalping).

Rolo posted:

Death Stranding is having zero issues with 1440p, DLSS, HDR and highest settings on my 65” 120hz tv.

I played it last summer on my 65" TV but in 1080p (so pretty much maxed) via Steam Remote play and it was still fun and pretty. I can't imagine how it must be on your setup knowing people praised its DLSS options.

You move your computer to the living room or you have both your computer setup close and the TV close together in the first place? I'm close enough that a 25ft HDMI was fine but I have to make the TV as main screen otherwise performances suck rear end (known Windows issues for years) but it stinks having to setup everything when I want to do it. I still game on my PC with mouse/keyboard for everything that isn't something I would play on console but for these occasional titles, I wish I had a better setup for the TV.

I think I'll abandon the idea, found out my TV can only go at 30hz for 4k so that sucks. I didn't think about doing that when I bought it so a high refresh rate for 4k wasn't something I was looking for. I won't have a 3080 until 2025 so there's also that!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 14, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Heard the loudest buzzer on the planet go off, realized it was that Twitch notifications page posted a few pages back. Couldn't figure out where the gently caress it was in my 800 tabs. Finally found it saying Zotac.com was selling them. Of course, it's actually impossible to buy anything on Zotac.com, you have to specifically know to go to store.zotac.com which took me a minute to figure out.

Guess I missed out on the Trinity non-OC 3080, which is the one I need really badly because Amazon said if I can buy that from anywhere and return it to them they'll refund me back for the overpriced Zotac that they refuse to price match and I already sold lol

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Heard the loudest buzzer on the planet go off, realized it was that Twitch notifications page posted a few pages back. Couldn't figure out where the gently caress it was in my 800 tabs. Finally found it saying Zotac.com was selling them. Of course, it's actually impossible to buy anything on Zotac.com, you have to specifically know to go to store.zotac.com which took me a minute to figure out.

Guess I missed out on the Trinity non-OC 3080, which is the one I need really badly because Amazon said if I can buy that from anywhere and return it to them they'll refund me back for the overpriced Zotac that they refuse to price match and I already sold lol

Wait... you were able to sell that 1300$ Zotac to a poor sod?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zero VGS posted:

What the gently caress what is happening in your life.

You legit sound like whatever the gpu equivalent of a hapless teen comedy movie protagonist is.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Like it's Ferris Bueller rolling back the odometer of a Ferrari over here. Ampere is actually breaking peoples brains.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Did you even break even selling the card?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jisforjosh posted:

The brunt of the cards in queue are in that first hour

yeah, didnt mean to imply they were lying about the stock amount... just saying that as a 9pm'er on 9/17, I lament the status of the world cause i want a shiny new toy to not use

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hemish posted:

^^^^ I bet stores with physical stock on location don't even go to the floor room. Employees must snatch them for themselves (or scalping).

I played it last summer on my 65" TV but in 1080p (so pretty much maxed) via Steam Remote play and it was still fun and pretty. I can't imagine how it must be on your setup knowing people praised its DLSS options.

You move your computer to the living room or you have both your computer setup close and the TV close together in the first place? I'm close enough that a 25ft HDMI was fine but I have to make the TV as main screen otherwise performances suck rear end (known Windows issues for years) but it stinks having to setup everything when I want to do it. I still game on my PC with mouse/keyboard for everything that isn't something I would play on console but for these occasional titles, I wish I had a better setup for the TV.

I think I'll abandon the idea, found out my TV can only go at 30hz for 4k so that sucks. I didn't think about doing that when I bought it so a high refresh rate for 4k wasn't something I was looking for. I won't have a 3080 until 2025 so there's also that!

My desk is next to my TV, it just happens to work well with how my apartment is laid out. I also found that I don’t have issues keeping my monitor as the primary as long as I keep my TV at 1440p (same as the monitor) unless otherwise commanded by a game. It just seems to like that setup and will otherwise limit my max refresh to 60 or turn off HDR randomly. Also I’m finding I like gaming at 1440p120 more than 4k60 anyways so I’m not really even letting games crank it up anymore.

Also most modern games let you set a display monitor, which is nice.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
The Trinity OC 3080 I copped last night/early this morning just shipped lmao

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rolo posted:

Isn't it weird how on the opposite extreme end, the other Decima game port is a total loving disaster in every way

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isn't it weird how on the opposite extreme end, the other Decima game port is a total loving disaster in every way

It’s a port that is somehow better than most non-ports I own.

And are you talking about H:ZD? Is it still a mess?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah HZD is a total loving mess, they only just barely fixed a problem with Aloy not walking in a straight line months after release, and you still can't use anisotropic filtering.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

ABZŪ is free on the Epic Store this week. Give it a shot on your 4K TV. It’s simple but gorgeous.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Animal posted:

ABZŪ is free on the Epic Store this week. Give it a shot on your 4K TV. It’s simple but gorgeous.

Abzu is so good. Honestly think it added a year to my life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rolo posted:

It’s mostly fine now, most of the major issues we’re fixed about a month after release.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Warmachine posted:

it only started happening after I installed the 3080, ruling out the motherboard VRM and power supply.

Personal experience: I had 970s that whined with one power supply but were silent with another. It's the unlucky PSU + card combination that does it, so swapping the PSU is definitely an option.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Got my FE 3080 RMA back a day earlier than expected.

Glad I did the RMA ultimately. I turned off my undervolt and custom curve and the had none of the fan issues I had before. The card did get hotter (It got to 80c during Time Spy) but after my undervolt it hasn't eclipsed 69c.

Been playing Control for 4+ hours tonight and it's been smooth AF.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah HZD is a total loving mess, they only just barely fixed a problem with Aloy not walking in a straight line months after release,

You say this like it's a huge problem but I played the entire game before this patch and literally did not notice it at all.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
I don't even remember if i posted in this thread or not but ive been following it since a month before the 3000 series came out.

i got lucky last night being there when the dell site went up for the trios even if buying it was incredibly difficult because i was absolutely blitzed.

so long gpu megathread, aslong as the bestbuy orders go through this is a happy goodbye to an absolute crumfuckstable of a launch.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

AirRaid posted:

You say this like it's a huge problem but I played the entire game before this patch and literally did not notice it at all.
this says way more about you than the quality of the port, FYI.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nah the walking glitch was not something that affected everyone. You still have to force AF on in the control panel, which is curious to say the least, but the port's major performance problems and crashes have been fixed.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hemish posted:

This is rumoured to be what's happening with Currys PC World in the UK. It's the only national computer hardware retailer, and appears to have had zero stock since launch. But twitter scuttlebutt says they are receiving shipments, it's just they're immediately being nabbed by the staff.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

alphabettitouretti posted:

This is rumoured to be what's happening with Currys PC World in the UK. It's the only national computer hardware retailer, and appears to have had zero stock since launch. But twitter scuttlebutt says they are receiving shipments, it's just they're immediately being nabbed by the staff.

Currys/PC World have started pricing things reasonably I've noticed in the last year or so. I think they can still be a bit random on more obscure items but I remember when there used to be a laughable plebtax on RAM/GPU's.

This is what I really came into the thread to post, however:

Would a card like the MSI 3080 Trio fit, vertically mounted, into a Cooler Master NR200P if I use an AIO on the CPU?

I don't plan to buy just yet, but I might start prepping for it now. I might even shift my 1660 Super Gaming X into the NR200 and buy a SFX PSU before I snag a 3080.

ThanX

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

alphabettitouretti posted:

PC world don’t stock components like GPUs in stores any more. Their entire business for that is online, the only time they’re sent to stores is if a customer selects in store pickup.

So if they’re being nabbed by staff it’s at the warehouse level which seems less likely.

Source: literally enquired about graphics cards in store just before launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VorpalFish posted:

I mean in nvidias defense it kind of is a demand issue in the sense that between covid and the relatively good value proposition of the new cards, demand for these cards is probably higher than has been seen before for a launch gpu, to the point where they probably couldn't conceivably produce enough to supply it all at once without holding off launching for like 6 months to a year.

The it took this long to implement a queue and as far as I know evga is still the only one doing it in the US is pretty embarrassing though.

Take the entire shaker of salt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbvUK93npo

But if this bears true, it's absolutely an artificially created supply issue. I refuse to believe nVidia didn't anticipate massive demand given the global situation and their very attractive pricing for these cards.