Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I probably missed the plot hints because I was young but when you get to Esthar and it turns out Laguna is the president was a pretty :aaaaa: moment for me

I played it in German (Which I didn't understand quite as well as English and Dutch) and I remember being so confused as well. I was confused for the majority of the game.

Played it in English over a decade later only to realise that's just how FF8 rolls in some regards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

SettingSun posted:

Do people think FFX is bad? It is a top tier FF.

I think it's mainly the voice acting being wonky and Tidus's "forced laughing" scene that got memed to death. Wonky voice acting is tolerably (playing it now, it's not even as bad as I remembered it), and the laughter makes more sense in context, it just makes some people cringe so hard they miss the point.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Yeah but Tidus makes up for it with the macarena scene.

Aaayye!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

JagerNinja posted:

I think it's mainly the voice acting being wonky and Tidus's "forced laughing" scene that got memed to death. Wonky voice acting is tolerably (playing it now, it's not even as bad as I remembered it), and the laughter makes more sense in context, it just makes some people cringe so hard they miss the point.

It all got meme'd to death -- Wakka's weird speech pattern, No Horn Kimahri, Auron saying "Sin is Jecht" every other scene, "LET'S BLITZ!!!!11" and so on. Replaying the game later I've found none of those things to be especially irritating.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

JagerNinja posted:

My favorite thing is the VA for Tidus making a video that was basically "Yeah the laugh scene is awkward... It was supposed to be"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The T40s certainly thought FFX was poo poo and LP opinions influenced a lot of opinions on this forum once upon a time.

But I think most people around here now recognize tah truth that FFX is the best FF and is incredibly good in pretty much every area.

I haven't seen many people seriously say it's bad in a long, long time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
the best final fantasy is mystic quest everything else is a distant second and I will never change my opinion

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Leal posted:

My favorite thing is the VA for Tidus making a video that was basically "Yeah the laugh scene is awkward... It was supposed to be"

I honestly wonder how much poo poo he’s gotten for that over the years. Probably a shitton looking at The Last of Us 2!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FFX owns and the parts everyone laughs at only add to the experience. I would not play a version of the game that didn't have "Stay away from the summoner!"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some things color your whole childhood and I think playing the FFX demo from PlayStation Magazine is one of them for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFX isn't my favorite FF but it is very, very good and I like it a lot

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FFX's probably the best all-around game in my eyes. There are other games I like more, like FF5 and FF9, but those are mostly due to one aspect of the game, like the gameplay or the characters or whatever.

FFX is the game I think does everything well, for the most part. Though it still has its flaws, mainly the garbage mini-games and the grind-focused post-game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FFX is probably the best FF game yeah though I like 7 more still

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
X is a weird one where I don't think it's many people's favorite, but outside meme nonsense I think most people at least like it quite a bit. It' s not my favorite FF either, but it's probably top 3.

That said, gently caress everything about it's post-game. If there's one area FFX is an unmitigated trash fire, it's everything to do with the jump from 'Ready for the Final Dungeon' to 'Beating the final bonus boss.' gently caress the requirements for most of the final weapons, gently caress the material grind for crafting endgame armor and weapons (some situational for just one or two fights,) gently caress the Arena, and holy poo poo gently caress the Dark Aeon fights and double-gently caress the Dark Aeon fights gating you from getting back to important places you may have missed something on your first pass.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFX's bonus content is absurd and I haven't actually engaged in it. I did get all the ultimate weapons though and that was enough for me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ngl, I really love FFX and the (non-blitzball, non-lightning, non-butterfly) endgame content. It's all pretty fun and satisfying in a 'haha number go up' way. I keep my vita copy of the game around just because I enjoy messing around trying to optimize myself further and further beyond in the handful of minutes I have free now and again.

I dunno if I'd put it as top three though. VII, VIII, X, XIII (including LR, excluding XIII-2), and XV kinda all bob and weave in and out of my top three at any given point depending on mood.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My top FF is X-2. I replay it way more than X in any case.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Honestly up til XIII I thought all of the mainline games had solid aspects of them where, even with jank, they FELT like FF, and that was an experience I very much liked. Including X, even though it's not my fav.

(XIII just never clicked for me; haven't played XV. Excluding the MMOs just because they aren't for me.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think FFX plays a lot better when you're older, and can pick up on some of the more nuanced themes. I was going to say 'subtle', but that's not really true; none of its themes are that subtle, they're just quieter than the surface-level.

I think Wakka is the bar to measure against; if you can understand his arc as a small town guy grappling with his own ingrained racism and religious conservatism, you're ready for the rest of the story.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I also think that gaming criticism has moved away from the way of thinking that got X flamed at the time. Like cheesy voice acting and writing is considered very likeable nowadays by a sizable minority of the gaming population. Think of how Woolsey is much better regarded than he was like in the JRPG communities in the 2000s.

Edit: See also the massive decline in literalist translations for Japanese Games and Anime.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ToxicAcne posted:

Edit: See also the massive decline in literalist translations for Japanese Games and Anime.

Has that take declined? Dumb idiot literalists seem as loud as ever

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FFX/X-2 form the franchises best character arcs/writing and one of the most interesting and well detailed worlds in the franchises history.

That plus it's utterly insane and unique aesthetic really make it a top 3 GOAT game IMO.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Has that take declined? Dumb idiot literalists seem as loud as ever

Yeah, but there was an upswing on companies trying to cater to them, but most of them have since realized that they are, in fact, dumb idiots who don't know how language works and have since abandoned them for the most part.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a total package FFX is the best in the series, and anybody picking another title is entitled to their opinion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
FFX Bahamut is the best Bahamut of all time, this is objective fact.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tidus is the best water summon: FACT

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Eyes on Me is a terrible track. Especially with lyrics.

what the gently caress

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Eyes on me Hobbled around barely functioning

WHAT THE gently caress

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

eyes on me and 1000 words Own :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
thank you booky I knew I liked you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Eyes on Me is one of the three songs that will make me feel chills every time I hear it, no matter how many times or in whatever context

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

cheetah7071 posted:

thank you booky I knew I liked you

💪

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eyes on Me is one of the three songs that will make me feel chills every time I hear it, no matter how many times or in whatever context

come on now you've got to tell me the other two

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Oblivious posted:

I really like 14's just finally being as giant and terrifying as Baby me imagined he was.

But 10's is a close second.

cheetah7071 posted:

what the gently caress

WHAT THE gently caress

The English lyrics are just...not good.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Best Shiva too imo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What if you mix the best scene from FFX with the best song from FFVIII?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBuUsODscSs

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

FFX/X-2 form the franchises best character arcs/writing and one of the most interesting and well detailed worlds in the franchises history.

That plus it's utterly insane and unique aesthetic really make it a top 3 GOAT game IMO.

I spend a lot of time praising FFX's story because I like its structure and themes, but the aesthetic is top-tier stuff. A blend of what I feel that Final Fantasy had been building towards with VII and VIII with some Southeast Asian influence. Lots of elements you don't commonly see in fantasy games, which I appreciate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXV Bahamut, before the .. uh.. other stuff, is a dope iteration. He doesn't launch energy beams or fire breath he just carpet bombs a metropolitan city with swords. gently caress it.

FFXV Leviathan also rules. She isn't even the enemy to anyone in the town she's wrecking she's just magnanimous as gently caress.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jokes posted:

FFXV Bahamut, before the .. uh.. other stuff, is a dope iteration. He doesn't launch energy beams or fire breath he just carpet bombs a metropolitan city with swords. gently caress it.

FFXV Leviathan also rules. She isn't even the enemy to anyone in the town she's wrecking she's just magnanimous as gently caress.

When it comes to XV, it's all about Ramuh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0OCZC8TVY&t=20s

He's the first summon you really see in action on your side and he's also the one who will always show up while the others are too situational. I think I only ever saw Titan once or twice and Bahamut for the one mandatory story scene.

Leviathan is absolutely awesome from a story viewpoint, though. She's the last great boss in the game.

No contention on FFX Bahamut and Shiva being best, though. Bahamut's arms folded "yeah I'm a badass' pose is mazing. And of course X's unique summons are all very memorable with Anima and Yojimbo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

Leviathan is absolutely awesome from a story viewpoint, though. She's the last great boss in the game.

I forget, was Leviathan the one where you were flying around in some kind of infinite Armiger Mode? Because that fight was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Actually I remember who started these bad FF takes. Noah Antwiler aka the Spoony One.