Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm not following the confirmation hearings too closely but I honestly don't know why they even bother with the fig leaf of respectability. She's a catholic fed soc scion with 12 kids or whatever, why even bother asking her what she thinks about roe v wade or anything else

Its like someone bursts into your convenience store with a ski mask and a gun and you ask him about his intentions

I mean, this is the legal thread, lawyers are all about going through the motions to come to a pre-determined conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I imagine no one has asked Barrett if Trump asked her to pledge loyalty to him? Or brought up if he asked for a ringer in any election cases?

Senate Democrats are useless.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Pook Good Mook posted:

Don't worry, Nana Feinstein will suss all this out.

This is Bubbe erasure.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm not following the confirmation hearings too closely but I honestly don't know why they even bother with the fig leaf of respectability. She's a catholic fed soc scion with 12 kids or whatever, why even bother asking her what she thinks about roe v wade or anything else

Its like someone bursts into your convenience store with a ski mask and a gun and you ask him about his intentions

If someone yells "this is a robbery" while robbing you, its pretty alarming and compels people to action.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks like Westlaw is having issues again, I've been having trouble searching on it for ~30 mins.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hey law folks, is there a DoJ thread better for this? but how is it legal for DoJ to sue on behalf of a Melania Trump NDA?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/13/justice-department-sues-melania-trump-tell-all-book-author-.html

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

pmchem posted:

hey law folks, is there a DoJ thread better for this? but how is it legal for DoJ to sue on behalf of a Melania Trump NDA?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/13/justice-department-sues-melania-trump-tell-all-book-author-.html

Are you a doctor?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Are you a doctor?

you can call me Dr. pmchem if you want, I have a Ph.D. But that would seem silly in this context.

I'm not looking to start an argument here, it was a genuine question about DoJ actions. I am looking to learn something. I just looked back at the past few pages and have no interest in discords or whatever slapfight is going on. I have a lawyer friend that works for DoJ so I guess I can talk to him later instead.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pmchem posted:

It supposedly contains information resulting from her work with Melania in a government capacity (as FLOTUS). From a Daily Beast article:

“If this concerned an agreement she signed with the government for work she performed for the Office of the First Lady, then there is nothing improper with DOJ reminding her of the terms of that agreement. However, you really have to wonder if DOJ really has nothing better to do with its time,” said Bradley Moss, a national security lawyer who in the past has separately handled FOIA litigation for media outlets, including The Daily Beast.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

It supposedly contains information resulting from her work with Melania in a government capacity (as FLOTUS). From a Daily Beast article:

“If this concerned an agreement she signed with the government for work she performed for the Office of the First Lady, then there is nothing improper with DOJ reminding her of the terms of that agreement. However, you really have to wonder if DOJ really has nothing better to do with its time,” said Bradley Moss, a national security lawyer who in the past has separately handled FOIA litigation for media outlets, including The Daily Beast.

Thanks. The CNBC article was more a placeholder than an article. If it was a NDA signed with the govt that would make sense. I'm used to reading about these private NDAs that Cohen or whoever would have Trump-affiliated people sign.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

pmchem posted:

you can call me Dr. pmchem if you want, I have a Ph.D.

loving knew it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pmchem posted:

Thanks. The CNBC article was more a placeholder than an article. If it was a NDA signed with the govt that would make sense. I'm used to reading about these private NDAs that Cohen or whoever would have Trump-affiliated people sign.

Yeah it seemed very odd to me so I had to look it up

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

pmchem posted:

She signed an NDA with "the government" as well as Melania.
I'm guessing the government is claiming the author used "government information" in her book.
Yes, it's Banana Republic Cult of Personality thug bullshit.

pmchem posted:

I have a lawyer friend that works for DoJ so I guess I can talk to him later instead.
Please ask your DoJ lawyer friend for me WTHF they're doing still working for the Dept of Banana Republic Cult of Personality thug bullshit.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just gotta wait...couple more months....if it doesn’t work out I’ll quit then heheh

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

joat mon posted:

Please ask your DoJ lawyer friend for me WTHF they're doing still working for the Dept of Banana Republic Cult of Personality thug bullshit.

He’s just a normal civil servant who started the job under Obama and hates the orange Cheeto. Dude has a wife and a kid and a mortgage. There’s a lot of laws passed pre-Cheeto that also end up in court.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

"I started under the Kaiser... I'm just defending the good laws...ich habe ein Frau, und Kindern, und ein Hauszuobligatierennachpaymentzen...ich gut, richtig?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
when someone asks to see how my midterm papers are going

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

"I started under the Kaiser... I'm just defending the good laws...ich habe ein Frau, und Kindern, und ein Hauszuobligatierennachpaymentzen...ich gut, richtig?

Who's your boss again?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hauszuobligatierennachpaymentzen

Lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just pay it with the massively inflated Weimar marks, hyperinflation is good for Hauszuobligatierennachpaymentzenholders

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I checked out the Discord and it's mostly some Harvard assholes and a couple chucklefucks talking about how they're about to make partner. 2/5.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh yeah we put you into a special channel specific to your interests.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Vox Nihili posted:

I checked out the Discord and it's mostly some Harvard assholes and a couple chucklefucks talking about how they're about to make partner. 2/5.

Sometimes I detail live action family law and sometimes we snoop on hdd doing court stuff.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I declared VOX NIHILI persona non grata, hosted populi, and demand he appear before the Honorable DisCourdt to answer for his crimes and perform self crit.

Also, vox nihili is now the BAD VOX, vox omnibus, nee vox descendo, is now the good vox.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Seconded

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I declared VOX NIHILI persona non grata, hosted populi, and demand he appear before the Honorable DisCourdt to answer for his crimes and perform self crit.

Also, vox nihili is now the BAD VOX, vox omnibus, nee vox descendo, is now the good vox.

Hell yeah finally

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Naughty Vox.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

joat mon posted:

Naughty Vox.

I'm not sure which one this is referring to??

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vox Nocua

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Prima Voxta

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I enjoy this picture because this is nearly the exact setup I have used for my court appearances recently:

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1316448414645747713

I usually use desktop/laptop/ipad instead of two laptops but the idea is the same, you can't risk everything on one computer not deciding today, today is the day to suddenly restart and take fifteen minutes to update (a thing that has happened during one of my hearings).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I enjoy this picture because this is nearly the exact setup I have used for my court appearances recently:

I usually use desktop/laptop/ipad instead of two laptops but the idea is the same, you can't risk everything on one computer not deciding today, today is the day to suddenly restart and take fifteen minutes to update (a thing that has happened during one of my hearings).

I appreciate the sentiment on redundancy but the man desperately needs to invest in some proper "home office" monitors (that happen to be 1440p & 144 hz, of course) as well.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
any praxis involving voxii that concludes that either vox is good is highly suspect

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/CottageECheese/status/1316379652940734466?s=19

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Law professor, extremist centrist

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

evilweasel posted:

I'm a huge sucker for Art Lien-- and not only because his name sounds like a world where creative folk have managed to gain enforceable claims on unwilling payors of their work.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

nvm, different issue.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 15, 2020

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I have two laptops and the iPad rolling for me. Failsafe is the phone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Soothing Vapors posted:

any praxis involving voxii that concludes that either vox is good is highly suspect

Soothing Voxors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Discendo Vox posted:

Soothing Voxors

unbearably rude