Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

So is Apple only making silicone and clear plastic cases now? I could care less about MagSafe since I already have a few wireless chargers. I really like having a luxurious leather case for my $1,200 toy.

If you want a luxurious leather case why do you give a poo poo about Apple's bottom-tier leather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

First off, they control everything about the phone and the price so don't come to me like they're the victim here. I certainly didn't ask for 5g, nobody did really. And secondly, so what? Profit margin has nothing to do with me. The bottom line is they are releasing a new phone with tiny improvements and less in the box for $130 more and lying about the price to boot, as a consumer I find it insulting and I will never buy it at that price.

i don't think they're trying to paint apple like a victim, just pointing out that more expensive components = a more expensive product. pretty normal

Magic Underwear posted:

If you don't care about what you get for your money that's fine. But I care a lot about my thousand dollar purchases. And I spent the same money to post on this forum to criticize bullshit moves from Apple that you did to defend them, so go gently caress yourself trying to belittle me about how I use my time.

the pricing on the thousand-dollar phones is the same as last year. it's only the non-pros that are more expensive

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Endless Mike posted:

If you want a luxurious leather case why do you give a poo poo about Apple's bottom-tier leather?

What are some recommended 3rd party ones?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It seems the equivalent of the XS I got is actually $100 cheaper this time. Looks like they are passing some of the price down?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

If you don't care about what you get for your money that's fine. But I care a lot about my thousand dollar purchases. And I spent the same money to post on this forum to criticize bullshit moves from Apple that you did to defend them, so go gently caress yourself trying to belittle me about how I use my time.

This is the old school posting style, love it, keep it up

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Breaking the thread's run of iPhone 12 talk- I'm having a problem with my 11 Pro's camera and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. I've noticed for a while now that I'm getting a blue shift in white areas of photos and it's driving me crazy. You can see in the photo below how blue my cat Lulu's fur is. The photo was taken indoors with natural light (no artificial lighting present) during the afternoon with the iPhone's native camera app. There are no filters applied and I can get rid of the blue shift by applying the "Dramatic" filter but that ruins the photo in my opinion. What on earth is going on here and how can I get rid of this annoying shift?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This is the old school posting style, love it, keep it up

Magic Underwear is cool.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Breaking the thread's run of iPhone 12 talk- I'm having a problem with my 11 Pro's camera and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. I've noticed for a while now that I'm getting a blue shift in white areas of photos and it's driving me crazy. You can see in the photo below how blue my cat Lulu's fur is. The photo was taken indoors with natural light (no artificial lighting present) during the afternoon with the iPhone's native camera app. There are no filters applied and I can get rid of the blue shift by applying the "Dramatic" filter but that ruins the photo in my opinion. What on earth is going on here and how can I get rid of this annoying shift?

There may be something physically wrong. Contact Apple if you’re still in warranty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

Magic Underwear posted:

bruh I buy a phone every four years. I extract maximum value from the poo poo I buy, so getting hot and bothered about a hypothetical $130 saved on hypothetical accessories over four years is such an incredible waste of time and energy

Sure, it’s arguably $130 they’re gouging you on. But bundled EarPods are trash that I won’t use, so that point is basically moot to me. It’s arguably better that they don’t include them since I won’t use them and you can’t exactly sell them off. Charging brick- ok that one sucks a bit, but I do already have like four of them, and Apple’s cables are crap that I wind up replacing with third party poo poo anyway. So now that perceived value I’m being robbed of is just becoming further and further abstracted away.

They’re gouging me on tens of dollars? On a device that I use constantly, like a hundred times a day, for years? And it’s still a substantially improved device from the one I’m replacing? Ok. I’m not going to not replace my phone. And I’m not going to buy a worse (for me) phone because of it. Maybe if I were a yearly upgrader this difference would sting a bit or be noticeable, but I don’t really notice these subtle $100 swings in yearly prices on expensive computers enough to troll myself into Internet Anger about them because I don’t buy them every year.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lulu good, iPhone bad.

Rokit rear end in a top hat.

But if it's repeating in natural and artificial light, it's probably an issue you can only really fix with Apple's help.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Where the hell is the dramatic filter photo come on

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I remember previous years someone had a template you could print out and trace/cut out on cardboard to see the actual sizes of these phones in your hands. Anything like that exist for the current models? That's my only real concern when ordering, sure they'll all be great phones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Astro7x posted:

I remember previous years someone had a template you could print out and trace/cut out on cardboard to see the actual sizes of these phones in your hands. Anything like that exist for the current models? That's my only real concern when ordering, sure they'll all be great phones.

For reference, the iPhone 6-8 + SE 2 are all roughly the same size as the Nexus 5 too.

edit: lol i read gud :rolleye:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm dipping my toes into apple for the first time ever. I love amateur photography but i have baby hands so i'm trying to force myself not to buy the pro max :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

vyst posted:

I'm dipping my toes into apple for the first time ever. I love amateur photography but i have baby hands so i'm trying to force myself not to buy the pro max :(

People have made great amazing work with iPhones from 10 years ago. You’ll be fine with a mini.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

vyst posted:

poo poo pro/mini will have the best cameras on the market. Pixel did, but in usual google fashion they stepped in the poo poo about it in only one generation.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah i was looking at the pro tbh. Maybe i'll just roll with that and see how it goes. I had a pixel 3xl so it's in the same realm size wise.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Like I thought, I didn’t see anything making me want to rush out and preorder. My XS max is only two years old and running like a champ. Don’t need a fancy new camera, what I got works fine for me. I’ll look at the big jumbo model when it hits stores and think about it but I’ll probably wait till next year.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Good thing that they're doing is bumping the base storage on the 12 Pro to 128gb.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

You’re not going to get a Touch ID power button on the phone because of cases. Maybe you’ll get an under glass one in the future but I doubt it. And Face ID is better anyway.

A little ways back, but cases obv don't prevent power button touch id, the case just has a cut out where the power button is, like lots of cases for phones and tablets already do

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

glassyalabolas posted:

Good thing that they're doing is bumping the base storage on the 12 Pro to 128gb.

They have done it for all of them. 64GB is a joke these days.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

SeANMcBAY posted:

They have done it for all of them. 64GB is a joke these days.

Base 12 is still 64gb

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

glassyalabolas posted:

Base 12 is still 64gb

Yes, which is why I’m saying 128gb should have been starting on those as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

enojy posted:

Where the hell is the dramatic filter photo come on

If you go into photos and hit Edit you'll get the 3 overlapping circle icon, there you can choose different filters. Here's the same photo with the Dramatic filter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Two quick questions (sorry if these are dumb):

-I'm planning to upgrade from a 6. Can I still use my older charger cables for a 12?

-Can I transfer all my stuff from my 6 to a 12 from home, including carrier info?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two quick questions (sorry if these are dumb):

-I'm planning to upgrade from a 6. Can I still use my older charger cables for a 12?

-Can I transfer all my stuff from my 6 to a 12 from home, including carrier info?

Yes

Yes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thanks!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I buy phones outright. I have an iPhone 6s+ with a home button tha5 stopped working last month, and I’m stoked to upgrade. But I can’t decide if I want a 12 with 256 or a 12 Pro with 256. The price is only a $100ish more, but the mental hurdle Of over a grand is bugging the hell out of me. I’ll keep the phone for at least 4 years though... decisions ugh.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

vyst posted:

If you plan on doing a lot of reviewing and revising on-device, the larger display on the Pro will be very valuable, here. Also depends on how Apple handles the resolution scaling, per device. The 12 Mini actually starts at 2340x1080, so that's promising. In the past, the iPhone models with funky non-standard resolutions would occasionally run into scaling issues, almost always pointing themselves out in photos. It's about the only (minor) complaint I've had with my non-pro iPhone 11 in the past year; moiré scaling effects that persist until you scale to full.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The MagSafe wireless charging will be 15W, which makes me even happier about car charger possibilities, since that should actually keep up with Waze.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ijyt posted:

If the 12 Mini came with the telephoto instead of the ultrawide it'd be a no-brainer. Bit miffed the 12 Pro is bigger. Either would be a massive upgrade over my 6S Plus.

Yeah, I'm sad that the 12 Mini is so uninspired. It's been said 100 times, but release the Pro Mini!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Man, I was really hoping for a return of TouchID. The 12 mini would be amazing, but I wear a respirator ten hours a day, and f going back to a PIN. I’m probably going to hold on to my OG SE until it goes out of software support at this rate.

e: weird that there was no AirPod Studio or whatever announcement after they evicted other brands from their stores

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 14, 2020

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, I'm sad that the 12 Mini is so uninspired. It's been said 100 times, but release the Pro Mini!

Also remove the Mini name because it’s normal sized.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
It would make sense for them to release their supposed “studio” headphones together with the announcement of the ARM Mac next month.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Perplx posted:

Also remove the Mini name because it’s normal sized.

“Am I so out of touch? No, it’s the global smartphone market that is wrong.”

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lazyhound posted:

“Am I so out of touch? No, it’s the global smartphone market that is wrong.”

They are in this case.:smug:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So how many people actually have USB-C power adapters that they can plug the lightning-to-USB-C cable into to charge their new iPhones? Like I have a ton of USB-A power adapters but no USB-C power adapters. If anything, I bet a significant portion of the iPhone consumer base don't have a USB-C power adapter not a computer with any USB-C ports. It will be interesting to watch the complaints on twitter on release days as people find out they have no way to charge their new iPhones without buying a USB-C power adapter.

e: I guess they can still use their old lightning-to-USB-A cables to charge. LOL I'm an idiot.

gret fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 14, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you get paid based on how many times you use the phrase "power adapter"? :v:

Almost no one has a usb-c anything right now. It's starting to shift but still leaning in the power user or nerd category. I think it's good Apple is pushing in that direction because when Apple does something. everyone else follows. They probably should have put a wall wart in the box for this year though.. as you said, lots of people are gonna get real mad over the next month or so.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I have USB c wall warts collecting dust on my cabinet but I'm a weird rear end in a top hat who has been on C since I bought a Nexus 6P and is always buying third party multi port chargers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The only product in my house that supports USB-C is somehow a Nintendo product :wtc: