Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I’m sure Dan Bonghead and the rest will spread this far and wide across Facebook to correct the issue right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1316136839166799873

Who could have anticipated this?? Not our piss baby President who’s been attacking vote by mail and the integrity of the election and democrat candidate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1316162035424661510

More projection, this is why he’s so mad. He’s losing to Biden who he views as beneath him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol the census is a big, fat, crowd pleasing jobs program. make it a big deal, expand the program, hand a bunch of people free money while talking up how everyone is doing their patriotic duty!!
loving...easy poo poo. paid for by the government. maybe get a boost in those approvals. it just seems so obvious and easy.
either trump is stealing so much loving money it has to end or the country really is loving broke

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Assuming we hold the House, we really need to move on from Pelosi. I like her more than most, but she's definitely past her prime. Her abilities are greatly diminished at this point.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Telsa Cola posted:

This is pages back but there is absolutely no strong evidence that they could or did besides I think some experimental studies and an experiment or two showing that it was indeed possible to sail from one end to other using some of the ships they had with modern knowledge, though I am also fairly certain that the actual trade ships they had would have almost immediately eaten poo poo because sailing the Med is way different than sailing the Atlantic.

The closest thing we have to "outside" contact and influence is some really interesting work looking at Polynesians, also some interesting trade dynamics going on near Alaska.

There is evidence that boats made with the materials that the Egyptians and Phonecians would have access to *could* get to the New World. There is also evidence of Iron Age tin mining on the coast of North America, Tin being an important commodity in the Mediterranean World.

I never said it was conclusive evidence, just the real possibility that Phoenican colonists, who were known for their exploration and search for resources to trade, could have gotten there. It's an interesting theory.

Also there is evidence to suggests that fishermen in Spain were fishing off the coast of North America for centuries, because that area of the Mid Atlantic is fantastic for fishing.

This isn't related to USPOL though, I just find the theory fascinating

In USPOL news, is there any change in Trump's numbers can actually improve before the election?

He seems to be in a death spiral at this point, and I want this election to be clean and decisive as possible

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 14, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

But why not start with something that would do even more good and still give Trump a win? Extending unemployment.

I'm not sure I agree that structuring relief as an employment-contingent benefit vs cash payments with all of the bullshit that is applied to that in many states included. A friend of mine was literally evicted while waiting on an unemployment appeal. They ran out of money, the state unemployment website was and still is a total disaster so they spent weeks fruitlessly trying to submit information and get their appeal heard, they couldn't make rent, and they were forced into homelessness because they were in an unregistered/illegal sublet and the owner threw all their poo poo out, locked them out, and threatened to call the cops on them for trespass.

That said, has Trump ever actually expressed support for extending unemployment the same way he has for giant prize checks with his name on them?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I saw someone mention Reinoehl earlier so not sure if this has been posted already but journalists are digging into the cop ambush and it sure does seem like they set him and/or outright executed him.

https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1316161770147344385

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zotix posted:

8h to wait to vote in Georgia today. cool cool cool. I can't wait to go at 6am on Thursday.

I don't think nearly enough is being said about this, especially on the heels of the horseshit Kemp pulled in GA 2018. They keep getting away with this crap. What do we do about it? Hours in line to vote for people probably $13/hr or less who I highly doubt get a lot of PTO. This is a loving disgrace and if allowed to continue is pretty much ALL republicans will have to do moving forward to ensure being re-elected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The issue with the $1200 checks is that they would absolutely help people in need but not in any sort of meaningful or long-term way while also increasing the odds of pushback with "We already sent them TWO checks!!"

If you're going to argue for one thing then you need to argue for unemployment, not a one-time check. In an ideal world you could argue for both but we're in the world where even arguing for one is a challenge. The $1200 check 'looks' better but is worse in the long term.

If we're going to get through this the country has to accept this isn't going to go away or get fixed. Even if COVID miraculously vanished tomorrow the long-term damage is catastrophic. You need infrastructure in place to deal with that or you are going to end up with things far worse down the line.

The issue with arguing for increased unemployment is that Trump doesn't want to help people. He wants to send a huge check with his name on it just before the election. That's it. If you give him that win then he basically gets everything he wants for almost zero benefit, while not actually doing anything to deal with the underlying issue. People go "what's the harm in just accepting" and even if the Senate would pass it (which they won't), it's not actually what needs to be done.

TulliusCicero posted:

In USPOL news, is there any change in Trump's numbers can actually improve before the election?

He seems to be in a death spiral at this point, and I want this election to be clean as possible

There is always a possibility but short of unarguable hard-proof evidence of Biden doing something massively criminal (and it has to be unarguable hard-proof because Trump already tainted the well on that so loving hard that nobody is going to believe it even if it was true without three forms of photo ID) it's hard to imagine.

That said who the gently caress knows. We're two weeks into October and it's already been a clusterfuck.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 14, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's really funny to see Pelosi of all people hit with "don't let perfect be the enemy of good".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1316165766031474689

Serious :mitt: energy here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

evilweasel posted:

what the gently caress is that probation

like come on you could have at least pretended by leaving out the “valid concerns” bit
the 'i know hating democrats is your shtick' posting sucks sorry

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

1200 dollars isn't my first choice, hell it's not even my fifth, but it's the best option we have and I'm sick of all you purity testers.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Glumwheels posted:

I’m sure Dan Bonghead and the rest will spread this far and wide across Facebook to correct the issue right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1316136839166799873

Who could have anticipated this?? Not our piss baby President who’s been attacking vote by mail and the integrity of the election and democrat candidate.

:lol: hes a jfk jr is alive qanon person as well.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

1200 dollars isn't my first choice, hell it's not even my fifth, but it's the best option we have and I'm sick of all you purity testers.

$1200 isn’t actually on the table either, though, because the Senate hasn’t agreed to anything. The argument is if you’re going to pass a clean bill to give Trump a boost, then start with unemployment because it’ll have the most impact, and let Trump handle arguing with the Senate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

This isn't about purity testing.

The $1200 check reduces the pressure on the Republicans to actually do something even if it doesn't help. Because it presents the image of "See, people got money, we helped" without actually helping. You saw a similar thing with the first check and it got more attention than the thing that actually did a ton of good (the increased unemployment benefits.)

Yes, it would be better for people than nothing in the short term, but that money is going to be gone in a month (if not less) and we'll be right back here except with less public support. A $1200 check has to include other things. It can't just be the check. I get you're saying "Well, nothing else will happen!!" but you can't really just bend to something because the other side won't. People already rightly criticize the Democrats of that and this is an issue that is more significant than most. We need a comprehensive program in place and if the Republicans refuse to negotiate for anything but a PR stunt, giving them their PR stunt isn't going to help.

The Senate has not agreed to anything (and probably won't) so it wouldn't even be like it's a 'clean pass.' It will still be argued and politicized. If that has to happen you might as well make it for something worthwhile.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Assuming Trump loses in November, is he dumb enough to run again in 2024?

Being beaten by "sleepy Joe" will probably make him even madder than the time Obama made fun of him, so assuming he's not incarcerated or (even more) incoherent from Alzheimer's, I can absolutely see his ego demanding he take another run at the office.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Why are we seriously debating the merits of a hypothetical check and/or stimulus bill when the turtle has made it abundantly clear he won’t permit either of those things.

Is the thread being invaded by people who woke up from a week long coma or something

Pelosi’s answer is meaningless outside of being comically bad messaging. There is no deal to take. There never was.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

azflyboy posted:

Being beaten by "sleepy Joe" will probably make him even madder than the time Obama made fun of him, so assuming he's not incarcerated or (even more) incoherent from Alzheimer's, I can absolutely see his ego demanding he take another run at the office.

That dude is not going to be alive in 2024.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are we seriously debating the merits of a hypothetical check and/or stimulus bill when the turtle has made it abundantly clear he won’t permit either of those things.

Is the thread being invaded by people who woke up from a week long coma or something

Pelosi’s answer is meaningless outside of being comically bad messaging. There is no deal to take. There never was.

I think people are confused about a clean check bill being on the table specifically because of how hilariously bad Pelosi flubbed that interview

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Glass of Milk posted:

Even if he is, he'll likely be buried in legal proceedings or have fled the country. And I still say he's not coming out of COVID 100% - those steroids and meds are obscuring a lot of damage.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Yeah something tells me, whether it's natural, by someone else or his own hand, Trump ain't gonna see 2024 if he loses now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

azflyboy posted:

Donald Trump is absolutely not going to be in the physical or mental health to run again in 2024. He might try but even assuming he has no long-term lingering effects from COVID he is an elderly man who has shown increased signs of mental and physical decline while in office. Fairly arguably not even Biden should be running in 2024 but we'll see what happens there if he wins.

Donald Trump will be 78 in 2024 and Biden will be 81. Even assuming they have the best health care in the world that is an age where it is very very possible to pass or be rendered incapable simply because of your age. (You can arguably make that statement for both candidates *now.*)

Hell, even if we go for an outlier and the Green Party wins their candidate is 67 which makes him older than literally every single President besides Regan and Trump. This slate of Presidential Candidates is loving ancient. It is a genuinely serious problem that we're tied so much to absolutely goddamn ancient people. Even if Sanders had won the nomination he is 79 years old! The best overall candidate who ran this election was *79.* This loving poo poo is ridiculous.

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?
All this poo poo with the census ending early is really loving dumb.

Seriously, people have had months to fill out like 5 questions that takes about 2 minutes on the Internet. If they don't have the Internet, fine, whatever, send it back in the mail. 10 minutes instead of 2 minutes. Not exactly hard to do.

If there are people that don't want to be counted and resist every effort to count them, then they don't deserve to be represented if they're not interested in participating in the system.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Right, there’s nothing on the table right now. The larger picture is though, that basically there are two sides that want to get something hypothetically done (the Democrats because they want to help, Trump because he needs a win as a desperate last effort to improve his polls) and the Senate who has basically refused to even debate anything.

The idea is that Trumps desperation might open a window for the Democrats to get a clean bill through - they’d pass something and he’d pressure the Senate to approve (which isn’t that likely) - and of Democrats are going to take this shot, they should do it with a bill that help the most people, unemployment, instead of the one Trump wants to pass, which is stimulus. Trump is likely desperate enough that he’d accept anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Right, there’s nothing on the table right now. The larger picture is though, that basically there are two sides that want to get something hypothetically done (the Democrats because they want to help, Trump because he needs a win as a desperate last effort to improve his polls) and the Senate who has basically refused to even debate anything.

The idea is that Trumps desperation might open a window for the Democrats to get a clean bill through - they’d pass something and he’d pressure the Senate to approve (which isn’t that likely) - and of Democrats are going to take this shot, they should do it with a bill that help the most people, unemployment, instead of the one Trump wants to pass, which is stimulus. Trump is likely desperate enough that he’d accept anything.

What Trump will or will not accept does not matter. He has no input on the issue right now.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
113% voter registration in Alaska at the moment. Couple of reasons why: high military pop, transitional population, and optional automatic enrollment for people that sign up for the PFD (when you sign up for the PFD only you can check a box that registers you to vote at the same time).

https://twitter.com/AK_OK/status/1316119925568671744?s=19

I've been volunteering my rear end off for the Gross and Galvin campaigns. Here's to hopin'

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lemming posted:

I think people are confused about a clean check bill being on the table specifically because of how hilariously bad Pelosi flubbed that interview

Yeah, there is no clean check bill.

We need a new speaker of the house, but is there a better option available? Last time Pelosi was the least terrible choice.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Lemming posted:

A clean bill is very vague phrasing that means whatever you want it to. Nice to know Wolf is carrying water for Trump again.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1316171610479501313

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

What Trump will or will not accept does not matter. He has no input on the issue right now.

Mitch doesn’t care, he won’t take up the heroes act and Trump’s pressure is about as weak as the low flow toilets he complains about. He’s floundering with the polls the way they are and Mitch owes him nothing. He’s got no reason to pass anything because he doesn’t care about helping Trump as it won’t help Mitch’s election chances or the federalist society. Trump’s already in his lame duck period, he just doesn’t know it yet.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aineris posted:

All this poo poo with the census ending early is really loving dumb.

Seriously, people have had months to fill out like 5 questions that takes about 2 minutes on the Internet. If they don't have the Internet, fine, whatever, send it back in the mail. 10 minutes instead of 2 minutes. Not exactly hard to do.

If there are people that don't want to be counted and resist every effort to count them, then they don't deserve to be represented if they're not interested in participating in the system.

The people who haven’t completed the census are overwhelmingly the people that those in power are hoping don’t get counted.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Djarum posted:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1315766834046541825?s=20

I literally sat dumbfounded for about 5 minutes after watching whatever this is...

I think it's a 90 second ad for this merchandise available at the URL.

The organization of the page is: video, followed by merch, then followed by his actual platform if you want to dignify it that much. I believe the merch preceding the platform, means that the merch is the platform and ye is having a moment sunning in the lumens of right wing grift.

I don't usually spend more than $25-50 for a hoody, but when I do I want the only branding to be buried behind my neck so that no one knows I spent more than $25 on it, so the hoodie would check out if I wanted to spend 3-6x hoodie prices on 1 hoodie.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 14, 2020

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?

Baronash posted:

The people who haven’t completed the census are overwhelmingly the people that those in power are hoping don’t get counted.

My point really is that it's not exactly hard to get counted. 10 goddamn minutes to fill out 5 really basic questions. If they don't want to be counted, then gently caress them. People need to have some skin in the game.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/GrodeckW/status/1316172156976410624?s=20

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Going off that Wolf vs Nancy segment, Wolf used Andrew Yang and Ro Khanna who was saying to get a deal done as an example to pressure Pelosi. I wonder if he or they will face some kind of decorumesque repercussion.

And people are desperate right now so I can see how they’d want anything at all.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aineris posted:

My point really is that it's not exactly hard to get counted. 10 goddamn minutes to fill out 5 really basic questions. If they don't want to be counted, then gently caress them. People need to have some skin in the game.

Uh what about people who don't have a reliable address?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

We need a new speaker of the house, but is there a better option available? Last time Pelosi was the least terrible choice.

Moreover, when's the last time a party in either the House or Senate made a leadership change that didn't involve the previous holder of the post dying or leaving office?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Uh what about people who don't have a reliable address?

Wrap a T-shirt around your face, walk to a public library (before those get defunded too), and go to https://2020census.gov/en.html

There are questions in the wizard to look up your Census ID with no mailing address.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Barbara Lee, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1316164690590998530

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1316168703583674368

some ignored weird high lights.

Lemming posted:

Unironically the Republican strategy if Biden wins is to make sure no additional aid at all happens under any circumstances and pin the economic pain on the Democrats, and it's not clear to me if it's more likely the Democrats would be able to overcome their bullshit if new checks go out or not. I'd be willing to believe that the Republicans would be canny enough to cynically let the minimum amount of aid go out, but it would need to be hitting people's bank accounts like... already, if they were smart enough to do that, so I don't think they'd agree to one at this point. Lie about it maybe.

well if we take the senate and keep the house. they can't do dick really.