Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol someone thinks time is real

Get this... time is a worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Simone Magus posted:

Get this... time is a worm.

Imagine 4 duncan idaho's climbing a cliff

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

make sure your stillsuit can reclaim cum before attempting this

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kaschei posted:

make sure your stillsuit can reclaim cum before attempting this

ahhhh the water of life

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My spheres work the same way

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 13, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

yeah that’s good as hell

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Incredible

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Siona: Why is there blue smoke coming out of your body, Worm?

God Emperor Leto II: Uh- Oh. That isn't smoke. These are pearls of awareness. Awareness of the Great Scattering that's about to unfold. Mmm. Great Scattering.

Whew. Siona, I hope you're ready for the Great Scattering.

Siona: I thought we were having the Golden Path.

God Emperor Leto II: D'oh, no. I said the Great Scattering. That's what I call the Golden Path.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I keep reading announcements from Amazon about Prime Day as Giedi Prime Day.

Just got into God Emperor in my re-read of the series. I had forgotten just how weird things get. Threaten Leto with a lasgun? That's a worm-thumping.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I forget which book Herbert quotes PKD in, but he certainly does (it might even be in one of the Dunes, but I feel like it might be one of the McKie stories or maybe The Godmakers). It's the one (paraphrasing) saying until we meet an alien we won't know fully what it is to be human. Only he doesn't use Dick's name, he just quotes him as "a human philosopher" or something similar.

He was buds with a lot of Science Fiction dudes. Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke. Somebody - maybe even someone in this thread, it's been here so long haha - even related a story about Ray Bradbury not recognizing Frank after he'd shaven his beard off.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

phasmid posted:

Only he doesn't use Dick's name, he just quotes him as "a human philosopher" or something similar.

Similar to this, I did love the shout-out in the appendix of Dune that mentions a biography of Alia written by "Pander Oulson".

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just got a 1970 paperback copy of Messiah and it's missing Bronso of Ix, bummer

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Found an article that says what I was trying to get across earlier:

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/opinions/2020/10/11/paul-atreides-led-a-jihad-not-a-crusade-heres-why-that-matters posted:

In Dune, Paul Atreides led a jihad, not a crusade
Here is why that matters.

Fans of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel, Dune, were disappointed to learn this week that the release of Denis Villeneuve’s much-anticipated film adaptation of the book has been pushed back to October 2021, almost a year later than expected.
But fans familiar with the books noticed a major omission in its promotional materials: any reference to the Islam-inspired framing of the novel. In fact, the trailer uses the words, “a crusade is coming”, using the Christian term for holy war – something that occurs a mere three times in the six books of the original series. The word they were looking for was “jihad”, a foundational term and an essential concept in the series. But jihad is bad branding, and in Hollywood, Islam does not sell unless it is being shot at.
The trailer’s use of “crusade” obscures the fact that the series is full of vocabularies of Islam, drawn from Arabic, Persian, and Turkish. Words like “Mahdi”, “Shai-Hulud”, “noukker”, and “ya hya chouhada” are commonly used throughout the story. To quote Herbert himself, from an unpublished 1978 interview with Tim O’Reilly, he used this vocabulary, partly derived from “colloquial Arabic”, to signal to the reader that they are “not here and now, but that something of here and now has been carried to that faraway place and time”. Language, he remarks, “is mind-shaping as well as used by mind”, mediating our experience of place and time. And he uses the language of Dune to show how, 20,000 years in the future, when all religion and language has fundamentally changed, there are still threads of continuity with the Arabic and Islam of our world because they are inextricable from humanity’s past, present, and future.

A quick look at Frank Herbert’s appendix to Dune, “the Religion of Dune”, reveals that of the “ten ancient teachings”, half are overtly Islamic. And outside of the religious realm, he filled the terminology of Dune’s universe with words related to Islamic sovereignty. The Emperors are called “Padishahs”, from Persian, their audience chamber is called the “selamlik”, Turkish for the Ottoman court’s reception hall and their troops have titles with Turco-Persian or Arabic roots, such as “Sardaukar”, “caid”, and “bashar”. Herbert’s future is one where “Islam” is not a separate unchanging element belonging to the past, but a part of the future universe at every level. The world of Dune cannot be separated from its language, and as reactions on Twitter have shown, the absence of that language in the movie’s promotional material is a disappointment. Even jihad, a complex, foundational principle of Herbert’s universe, is flattened – and Christianised – to crusade.

To be sure, Herbert himself defines jihad using the term “crusade”, twice in the narrative as a synonym for jihad and once in the glossary as part of his definition of jihad, perhaps reaching for a simple conceptual parallel that may have been familiar to his readership. But while he clearly subsumed crusade under jihad, much of his readership did the reverse.

One can understand why. Even before the War on Terror, jihad was what the bad guys do. Yet as Herbert understood, the term is a complicated one in the Muslim tradition; at root, it means to struggle or exert oneself. It can take many forms: internally against one’s own evil, externally against oppression, or even intellectually in the search for beneficial knowledge. And in the 14 centuries of Islam’s history, like any aspect of human history, the term jihad has been used and abused. Having studied Frank Herbert’s notes and papers in the archives of California State University, Fullerton, I have found that Herbert’s understanding of Islam, jihad, and humanity’s future is much more complex than that of his interpreters. His use of jihad grapples with this complicated tradition, both as a power to fight against the odds (whether against sentient AI or against the Empire itself), but also something that defies any attempt at control.

Herbert’s nuanced understanding of jihad shows in his narrative. He did not aim to present jihad as simply a “bad” or “good” thing. Instead, he uses it to show how the messianic impulse, together with the apocalyptic violence that sometimes accompanies it, changes the world in uncontrollable and unpredictable ways. And, of course, writing in the 1950s and 1960s, the jihad of Frank Herbert’s imagination was not the same as ours, but drew from the Sufi-led jihads against French, Russian, and English imperialism in the 19th and mid-20th century. The narrative exhibits this influence of Sufism and its reading of jihad, where, unlike in a crusade, a leader’s spiritual transformation determined the legitimacy of his war.

In Dune, Paul must drink the “water of life”, to enter (to quote Dune) the “alam al-mithal, the world of similitudes, the metaphysical realm where all physical limitations are removed,” and unlock a part of his consciousness to become the Mahdi, the messianic figure who will guide the jihad. The language of every aspect of this process is the technical language of Sufism.

Perhaps the trailer’s use of “crusade” is just an issue of marketing. Perhaps the film will embrace the characteristically Islam-inspired language and aesthetics of Frank Herbert’s universe. But if we trace the reception of “the strong Muslim flavour” in Dune, to echo an editor on one of Herbert’s early drafts, we are confronted with Islam’s unfavourable place in America’s popular imagination. In fact, many desire to interpret Dune through the past, hungering for a historic parallel to these future events because, in their minds, Islam belongs to the past. Yet who exists in the future tells us who matters in our present. NK Jemisin, the three-time Hugo award-winning author, writes: “The myth that Star Trek planted in my mind: people like me exist in the future, but there are only a few of us. Something’s obviously going to kill off a few billion people of colour and the majority of women in the next few centuries.”
Unlike many of his, or our, contemporaries, Herbert was willing to imagine a world that was not based on Western, Christian mythology. Herbert did not think of Islam as the “borg”, an alien hive mind that allows for no dissent. Herbert’s Islam was the great, capacious, and often contradictory discourse recently expounded by Shahab Ahmed in his monumental book, What is Islam? Herbert understood that religions do not act. People act. Their religions change like their languages, slowly over time in response to the new challenges of time and place. Tens of thousands of years into the future, Herbert’s whole universe is full of future Islams, similar but different from the Islams of present and past.

Herbert countered a one-dimensional reading of Islam because he disavowed absolutes. In an essay titled: Science Fiction and a World in Crisis, he identified the belief in absolutes as a “characteristic of the West” that negatively influenced its approach to crisis. He wrote that it led the “Western tradition” to face problems “with the concept of absolute control”. This desire for absolute control is what leads to the hero-worship (or “messiah-building”) that defines our contemporary world. It is this impulse that he sought to tear down in Dune.
We should recognise Herbert for exploring Islam and religion without essentialising them, without reducing them to a cliché grounded in a timeless original model or relegating them to the domain of superstitious humanoid aliens. But in the same essay, he warned that “if it becomes too prestigious, science fiction will encounter new restraints”, expressing worry about the looming power of self-censorship in the face of respectability. Unfortunately, he was right, and it seems like the subversive elements of his own work, embedded in his deep exploration of “jihad”, have been subsumed into the Christianising “crusade”, at least so far. Let’s hope this extra year allows the film to do better.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I think we can safely say that the decision to change jihad to crusade was a marketing one and anyone with a brain could tell that a story about a (probably) white guy joining space Muslims and leading them on a jihad across the universe was going to be problematic even though the story has far more subtext than that.

Anyway, I just finished a re-read of Dune Messiah and God-Emperor of Dune and I noticed something that I inexplicably missed about fifteen years ago which is that Leto II was preparing his people for a coming apocalyptic event where humanity could be wiped out. Did Herbert ever follow up on this or was that his idiot kid?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't actually think any of us know poo poo about poo poo

Scenes in trailers are oftentimes the versions NOT used in the movie

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I told u about crusading arratexans fighting a righteous war against the evil King like 200 pages ago

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ithle01 posted:

Anyway, I just finished a re-read of Dune Messiah and God-Emperor of Dune and I noticed something that I inexplicably missed about fifteen years ago which is that Leto II was preparing his people for a coming apocalyptic event where humanity could be wiped out. Did Herbert ever follow up on this or was that his idiot kid?

The closest he got was the Honored Matres fleeing something and the scene at the end of Chapterhouse. All we know for certain is that Leto II chose the golden path because it was the only way humanity had any chance of surviving that event, whatever it was.

Failson just said lol, it's the butlerian jihad part II: the robots strike back

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Denis Dune is canceled we have moved on

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pnumoman posted:

The closest he got was the Honored Matres fleeing something and the scene at the end of Chapterhouse. All we know for certain is that Leto II chose the golden path because it was the only way humanity had any chance of surviving that event, whatever it was.

There was a bit about a vision of someone fleeing killbots in God Emporer but no indication that they were the same thinking machines as the ones the jihad was about, more just “oh hey, one apocalyptic future”. The scattering wasn’t just about making humanity survive one event anyway, it was about humanity surviving any and every event.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ithle01 posted:

I think we can safely say that the decision to change jihad to crusade was a marketing one and anyone with a brain could tell that a story about a (probably) white guy joining space Muslims and leading them on a jihad across the universe was going to be problematic even though the story has far more subtext than that.

I also just finished rereading God Emperor, and I got the impression that when Siona has her vision of the future during her test (nestled in Leto's, uh, neck hammock?), she wasn't necessarily seeing a literal robot apocalypse, but more metaphorical of what would happen if Leto didn't breed humans to be prescience-immune. I'm pretty sure Leto talks about the necessity of the Golden Path being related to things like Ixians trying to invent a computerized guild navigator. Couple that with his explanation that the Butlerian Jihad was more accurately a revolt against machine thinking than actual machines, it seems like the threat is that a prescient machine would essentially lock all of humanity into an inescapable machine-predicted future. In other words, it's not necessarily a literal extermination of every human being by squads of RoboSardaukar, but it's the destruction of humanity's ability to be fully human.

It's entirely possible I misinterpreted that though, since I definitely started to skim over some of his longer brain dumps. Especially his talks with Hwi where she only speaks in half-sentences for virtually the entire time and is constantly pre-empted by Leto. It does a great job of showing how in-tune their thoughts are but it's loving awful to try and read.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

Lawrence of Arabia came out in '62, Dune in '65 and LSD started making it's way into upper middle class America.
The plot isn't an accident.

The producers weighed having to to spend time fighting charges of insensitivity and cultural appropriation or change a few words. They made the right call.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I also just finished rereading God Emperor, and I got the impression that when Siona has her vision of the future during her test (nestled in Leto's, uh, neck hammock?), she wasn't necessarily seeing a literal robot apocalypse, but more metaphorical of what would happen if Leto didn't breed humans to be prescience-immune. I'm pretty sure Leto talks about the necessity of the Golden Path being related to things like Ixians trying to invent a computerized guild navigator. Couple that with his explanation that the Butlerian Jihad was more accurately a revolt against machine thinking than actual machines, it seems like the threat is that a prescient machine would essentially lock all of humanity into an inescapable machine-predicted future. In other words, it's not necessarily a literal extermination of every human being by squads of RoboSardaukar, but it's the destruction of humanity's ability to be fully human.

It's entirely possible I misinterpreted that though, since I definitely started to skim over some of his longer brain dumps. Especially his talks with Hwi where she only speaks in half-sentences for virtually the entire time and is constantly pre-empted by Leto. It does a great job of showing how in-tune their thoughts are but it's loving awful to try and read.

I think you got it. It's nebulous and Herbert left it that way. Only Siona's vision, Leto's II allusions, and that the Honored Matres were both looking for something in the old civilizations and running away form something in the Scattering.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was a bit about a vision of someone fleeing killbots in God Emporer but no indication that they were the same thinking machines as the ones the jihad was about, more just “oh hey, one apocalyptic future”. The scattering wasn’t just about making humanity survive one event anyway, it was about humanity surviving any and every event.

pnumoman posted:

Thanks for the replies, what you said is more or less how I read it, but it was vague enough to leave me wondering if I got it right and I didn't know if the good Herbert fleshed it out more. I assumed his son would screw it up because what I read about it in other places seemed like the sort of crap he writes, but I wanted to check.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Ingmar terdman posted:

Denis Dune is canceled we have moved on

<Siona almost at the top of the cliff>

<upside down Duncan comes into frame>

"Wassahappenin', hot stuff!?"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Just finished Heretics and Chapterhouse. It was years since the first read through.
The child ghoula reawakening is queasy reading.
While enjoyable, the Mary Sueness of the protagonists gets to be too much. Herbert makes some interesting observations about power and the human condition it’s hard to pin him down for any conclusions, only that stagnation of systems and individuals lead to danger.
Can anyone one explain the bit about the face dancer gardeners at the end other than a cliffhanger for Herbert’s unfinished book?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Automatic Slim posted:

While enjoyable, the Mary Sueness of the protagonists gets to be too much. Herbert makes some interesting observations about power and the human condition it’s hard to pin him down for any conclusions, only that stagnation of systems and individuals lead to danger.
Can anyone one explain the bit about the face dancer gardeners at the end other than a cliffhanger for Herbert’s unfinished book?

One of the repeated themes of all the books is "using people as tools will come back to bite you", for one.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One of the repeated themes of all the books is "using people as tools will come back to bite you", for one.

That’s true. Especially, mentats.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Automatic Slim posted:

That’s true. Especially, mentats.

Hawat worked out okay in the end.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

There's a bunch of ways to read it, everything from Marty and Daniel being facedancer of Duncan Idaho and Miles Teg who have freed themselves, that they're facedancers who've absorbed so many people that they have achieved the same as Duncan Idaho did with all his serial lives which lets him see no-ships among other things, that they're an off-shoot like New Face Dancers (which're mentioned in Heretic when Whaf is surprised by the Facedancer Tuek getting a personality of his own), but ones from the Scattering and they that they're what the Honored Matres are fleeing from up to and including the fourth-wall breaking observation that Daniel and Marty are Frank and Beverly.

It may also be helpful to remember that earlier in the same book Duncan Idaho is dreaming of new weapons using the Holtzmann generators, Futars, and other things, and the dream ends with Marty and Daniel observing that Duncan is spying on them.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

THE BAR posted:

Hawat worked out okay in the end.

Not for the people who captured him and we're using him as a tool. He got my best bud killed just for playing board games :(

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Wingnut Ninja posted:

When they talk about "arafel" (cloud-darkness of Judgement) I imagine a seeping gas crawling over a skyline and coming into focus as small factory drones that make clouds of nanomachines or something. And the Ixian device sounds pretty scary when they claim it will predict Leto's actions (which ended up being only semi-bullshit). I keep forgetting about the "prescient machine" aspect, which I guess is an extrapolation. Maybe your version is the right one, a metaphorical shadow cast on humanity. Maybe even infallible prescience. Scary.

Whatever he wrote about, Herbert definitely doesn't mean Terminators with skull faces and laser guns. He was more concerned about new stuff that crossed the man/machine threshold with impunity and could be used by anyone and might even be easy to obtain, depending on 10,000+ years of Scattering fortunes. The "hellish" thing that they hooked Teg up to, the BG soldiers who were cyborged and then instructed to destroy their braincases before capture. Even the BT with their biological terrors, their inbred caste slavery.

Automatic Slim posted:

Just finished Heretics and Chapterhouse. It was years since the first read through.
The child ghoula reawakening is queasy reading.

Is Odrade the Mary Sue? It was frustrating that she was basically just worm-god-but-in-pretty-lady-form. On the one hand, you get that sweet purestrain Frank rambling that is normally reserved for epigrams. On the other hand, if we're supposed to diverge as a species, it's kinda weird to appropriate someone else's style (even a worm god).

Personally, I don't know what the gardeners are about and I'll be fine with never knowing.

Automatic Slim posted:

Lawrence of Arabia came out in '62, Dune in '65 and LSD started making it's way into upper middle class America.
The plot isn't an accident.

The producers weighed having to to spend time fighting charges of insensitivity and cultural appropriation or change a few words. They made the right call.

100% agreed.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

phasmid posted:

Personally, I don't know what the gardeners are about and I'll be fine with never knowing..

The gardeners are canonically Cyberdan and Martrex, mysterious entities with a link to humanity's distant past and they're totally real rad OCs do not steal

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Bubblyblubber posted:

The gardeners are canonically Cyberdan and Martrex, mysterious entities with a link to humanity's distant past and they're totally real rad OCs do not steal

gently caress.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That's not canon until you break into Cal Fullerton's library and find it in Frank's notes

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is it possible the real deal notes will be released after failson dies? failson would never put them out there, they would lay bare just how uninspired his take on Dune really is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

is it possible the real deal notes will be released after failson dies? failson would never put them out there, they would lay bare just how uninspired his take on Dune really is.
No. It's in the Herbert estate (meaning lawyers) best interest to keep them hidden and keep milking the water-fat off-worlders.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hence the heist Im proposing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Yadoppsi posted:

Found an article that says what I was trying to get across earlier:

My main takeaway from this is yet another confirmation that Frank Herbert's ghost has to be massively, massively disappointed in his son. I'm not sure his son has thought as much about entire plotlines as Frank thought about a single word choice.