Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

blue squares posted:

Holy poo poo I tried half life alyx

THANK YOU, VR THREAD

And with my PC, I was able to run it on ultra. It looks incredibly real

Hell yeah! I first played Alyx while seated and got used to the movement/feeling, then worked up to where I can move around. Now it's no big deal, as long as I don't load up Serious Sam heh.

veni veni veni posted:

Glad to hear it!

Another newbie tip. Try playing with a fan turned on you. It can help in a multitude of ways. Early on it helped me with motion sickness, it’ll keep you cool so you stay comfortable and fog free, and to me it least it helps sell the feeling of being outdoors in VR.

I never realized it, but my ceiling fan is directly above my playspace and I just was using it to keep cool but it definitely helps with spatial awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

veni veni veni posted:

Glad to hear it!

Another newbie tip. Try playing with a fan turned on you. It can help in a multitude of ways. Early on it helped me with motion sickness, it’ll keep you cool so you stay comfortable and fog free, and to me it least it helps sell the feeling of being outdoors in VR.

Yeah, I always like to have some idea of which way I'm facing, so this helps a lot.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Why don’t you just align yourself with the earth’s magnetic field, like a pigeon, or a lobster? Like, how do you people migrate in the spring and fall? :confused:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tom Guycot posted:

Sometimes the more mundane the experience the easier it is to feel like your there. Driving a truck in ATS at night, with the radio on, rain falling down, headlights on, i've legit started reaching for the AC vents to adjust them before catching myself, lol.

Completely agree with this. All the big shooters and such are fun, but the game I wind up losing myself in the most is Eleven Table Tennis.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

My Quest 2 just arrived! From Amazon, in Australia.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sethsez posted:

Completely agree with this. All the big shooters and such are fun, but the game I wind up losing myself in the most is Eleven Table Tennis.

The more complex a game is the less immersive it can be. The game where I’m not thinking about the controllers at all or where I’m standing are often the ones I come out of and I’m just like “woah, I kind of forgot I was playing a game” this happens with Until You Fall a lot for me since the controls are so natural I sometimes sort of forget I’m playing a game.

Saints and Sinners is a pretty good VR game but it has so many complex interactions I often feel hyper aware that I’m playing VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So, some goons were pretty adamant that this would never happen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ja5mon/facebook_your_account_has_been_disabled/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jappkv/facebook_account_banned_within_10_minutes/

Just because things work out for you doesn't mean other people can't be outliers who have issues

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

So, some goons were pretty adamant that this would never happen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ja5mon/facebook_your_account_has_been_disabled/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jappkv/facebook_account_banned_within_10_minutes/

Just because things work out for you doesn't mean other people can't be outliers who have issues

Nah, that's not the same thing; I'd bet good money they're getting hammered with new Facebook accounts right now and their AI is accidentally flagging some of the rise in account creation as spammed bot accounts.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, that's not the same thing; I'd bet good money they're getting hammered with new Facebook accounts right now and their AI is accidentally flagging some of the rise in account creation as spammed bot accounts.

I mean it's still dumb as hell

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Impressions from the Quest 2 setup screen — the screen door effect is basically like if i put my face about 30cm from my regular 72dpi monitor. its basically invisible unless you’re looking for it. it’s so profoundly different in fact that i immediately noticed how ugly the font rending is on android, which is something i never would pick up on the 1 because the resolution/screen door sort of covers it. Its a lot lighter and better built, it feels higher quality. The strap is much less easy to deal with though, but i’ve got the elite strap coming for that. my prescription lenses from the 1 Just Worked on the 2, which I’m very happy about. seeing some decrease in FOV that sort of jellybeans in at the IPD setting I have to use, but I've heard they can address that in software

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

chaosbreather posted:

My Quest 2 just arrived! From Amazon, in Australia.

Nice one! My buddy got his delivered today as well, I'm stuck playing the tracking game which is super annoying due to the Amazon FC being 15 minutes drive away

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

So if I make a new Facebook account with not-my-name, am I risking getting banned or bricked or something?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yikes, looking at over a month's wait to buy a quest 2 in australia. Guess I should have pre ordered.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

nightwisher posted:

Yikes, looking at over a month's wait to buy a quest 2 in australia. Guess I should have pre ordered.

Amazon is showing as in stock and delivered by the 21st

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

nightwisher posted:

All our packages get shipped over individually on driftwood.

Its not a perfect system, but it works ok.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone want to play Phasmophobia with me. Like, right now? Or another time? Just looking for people to play with.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just found out that my mom pre-ordered the quest 2 and got it today.

I was already surprised a couple weeks ago when I found out my dad was preordering one. They're both in their 60s and not really into playing videogames, this kinda blows my mind. It's gonna be massive.

My mom really loves the thing so far, she had a lot of fun with Oculus first steps. She played the shooting game and she was like, "I don't normally like shooting games, but now I really want some shooting games." And she was laughing a lot in the dancing part, really getting into it.

I tried it out, and drat, that screen is nice. After trying it out my mom asked if I wanted one for Christmas, and I was like, "yes please", and then she was like, "ok, well do you want this Friday to be Christmas?"

So, despite being broke I have a Quest 2 on the way. :dance:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tip posted:

I just found out that my mom pre-ordered the quest 2 and got it today.

I was already surprised a couple weeks ago when I found out my dad was preordering one. They're both in their 60s and not really into playing videogames, this kinda blows my mind. It's gonna be massive.

My mom really loves the thing so far, she had a lot of fun with Oculus first steps. She played the shooting game and she was like, "I don't normally like shooting games, but now I really want some shooting games." And she was laughing a lot in the dancing part, really getting into it.

I tried it out, and drat, that screen is nice. After trying it out my mom asked if I wanted one for Christmas, and I was like, "yes please", and then she was like, "ok, well do you want this Friday to be Christmas?"

So, despite being broke I have a Quest 2 on the way. :dance:

Yeah my 72 year old non-technical father was absolutely all about Thrill of the Fight to a degree that was way unexpected and tried to buy my Quest from me. It’s interesting what grabs people who aren’t conventional ‘gamers’.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is it honestly worth getting a Quest 2 now if I have a Rift S?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Amazon's tracking says that my Q2 is in some holding centre in California but plugging in the DHL number says it cleared customs here early this morning :staredog:

Apparently they still haven't shipped the fit pack though...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah honestly thats one of the worst things you could try as a first vr experience. twisting around at fast speeds in a 6dof spaceship rolling and drifting.... not a great start.

If you want to be excited for VR and see what it can do and not get sick, try something like superhot VR.

Also if you start feeling sick, stop playing. You'll only make it worse and reinforce the response of getting sick if you just try to power through.

yeah, I read some comments of people in general, of being excited for Star Wars Squadron and how they will get a VR headset for the first time for it and I was like 'uhhh that's not going to be a good first VR experience...'

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been reading about people's pains with FB disabling new accounts and not giving good answers for a month, in Reddit. I actually hope CNN, BBC or someone writes an article about it and makes a bit of noise, because it's the only way FB is going to fix it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The good news is the devs for squadrons have been clear on reddit that they're working hard on bug fixes and are aware of all the problems

The bad news is its been about two weeks and the game is still rendering at 30/60 fps in VR and that's just :barf: (And even at 60 its not 60, I get terrible ghosting/doubling)

Even without having access to the code I can tell what the problem is, so it has to be pretty clear to them too, but I guess fixing it isn't so easy.

Seeing all the goons posting in the Squadrons thread has me legit depressed. I can only play for about 15 minutes before I feel ill. (Meanwhile I spend literal hours racing in PCars or iRacing)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Still waiting on any kind of tracking update for my replacement touch controls on my rift s. I dropped both of them off at ups on September 30th and got confirmation emails saying they received one on October sixth and the other on the seventh each saying it would be 2-3 business days before they’d give me a shipping update or tracking numbers. poo poo sucks man, I wanna whip some pistols.

Also after squadrons running poorly in non-vr mode I decided it’s finally time to get a new pc, my current one was built in early 2014. Half Life here I come!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dumb question but where do I run/type this and do I need to do every time I use it?

If you already have sidequest, and you say you have it, there is a icon to open an adb console and type the command there.

It seems the setting is lost if you reboot the device, that's when you have to type it again.

I still haven't tried but I read very positive comments from Eleven TT players.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tenacious J posted:

So if I make a new Facebook account with not-my-name, am I risking getting banned or bricked or something?

Not bricked, but it can get banned, yeah.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
For those with the VR issues in squadrons make sure you set the game to fullscreen exclusive mode in the video settings, with 60hz refresh rate. Also make sure it's always the active window.

Most of my performance issues went away then and I can crank up the render resolution and quality settings.

Though I am running on the original quest, which is locked to 72hz.

... Seriously considering a Quest 2. Is it worth the upgrade over the first gen for the refresh rate and resolution boost?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Text is significantly clearer in Elite Dangerous. I can now comfortably read most of the control panels without squinting or leaning forward, which definitely wasn't the case with the CV1. Couple of the smaller bits of the UI are still hard to make out (like the galaxy map button on the left panel) but it's a massive improvement overall. And this is without mucking around with supersampling or anything, so no doubt it can be made better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Isometric Bacon posted:

For those with the VR issues in squadrons make sure you set the game to fullscreen exclusive mode in the video settings, with 60hz refresh rate. Also make sure it's always the active window.

Most of my performance issues went away then and I can crank up the render resolution and quality settings.

Though I am running on the original quest, which is locked to 72hz.

... Seriously considering a Quest 2. Is it worth the upgrade over the first gen for the refresh rate and resolution boost?

Pros:
-refresh rate
-resolution
-rgb screen
-extra power (+50% cpu and ram)
-wifi6
-controller with strong haptics, very reduced battery drain
-modular strap system, official optional elite straps

Cons:
-fixed ipd system with lower min and max
-lower fov if you use ipd setting 3
-overall comfort, strap and still front loaded in balance
-black levels
-battery seems to deplete a lil' faster, like 5-6 minutes less of total usage?
-strangely cheap in places (would be so expensive to include a 1.5mts usb cable instead of only 1.0mt so you can watch some tv show while charging up??)

As long as you are inside a 'safe' ipd range, the it's a recommended upgrade yeah. If you use it a PCVR headset, I'd dare to say it's a very recommended upgrade, if only because if you think about it, the simple, usually stylized graphics of the Quest 1 are ok for its screen, but you really want the clarity of the Q2 screen with PCVR, because what's the point of the richer, more detailed graphics PC offers if 1/4 of it it's going to be 'hidden' by the old screen??

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 14, 2020

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Seriously considering getting a Quest 2 - have a quick question for those that are using Virtual Desktop to stream from a PC.

For games like BeatSaber or Superhot VR, which are available to play both on the Quest 2 standalone or stream from a PC, which method would you recommend? I suppose buying on Steam would mean I could play it on any VR headset should I upgrade in the future rather than be tied to Oculus/Facebook headsets? Also is there much of a quality/latency difference playing directly on the headset vs streaming?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Raffles posted:

Seriously considering getting a Quest 2 - have a quick question for those that are using Virtual Desktop to stream from a PC.

For games like BeatSaber or Superhot VR, which are available to play both on the Quest 2 standalone or stream from a PC, which method would you recommend? I suppose buying on Steam would mean I could play it on any VR headset should I upgrade in the future rather than be tied to Oculus/Facebook headsets? Also is there much of a quality/latency difference playing directly on the headset vs streaming?

Do you plan on playing standalone VR outside your house? Then you want it from Oculus. If not, Steam.

Re virtual desktop, I can't help with a comparison to link cable or standalone, but I will say that so far wireless streaming has been delivering better image quality than my old CV1, without the ridiculous tangle of cables that setup had. I've not done any tweaking of settings yet either, just using the default config. I'll grab a cable at some point to compare but it's liberating not to be tethered.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tenacious J posted:

Banned and purchases gone.

There's also killswitch flags in the Quest 1 firmware, apparently for if they think you're cheating in an online game or pirating, but I'm not sure if there's been any confirmed killswitch engagement yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dnuxfs/just_a_heads_up_that_the_latest_quest_90_update/

The one ray of hope is that Facebook announced today they're going to ban holocaust deniers, so there's a non-zero chance a bigot loses their games library.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Raffles posted:

Latency using Link/VD is mostly fine but problems can rear their head in with games that are reliant on good timing timing and reflexes. The majority of latency sensitive games (Beat Saber and it's ilk) are also on Quest and generally look fine there, so you're better off getting the native versions of those. SuperHot in particular looks almost identical to the PCVR version and you gain the benefit of taking your headset to a basketball court or something and playing the game with a massive tracked area.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Literally billions of people manage to use Facebook every day, but VR nerds are getting banned for some reason.

:iiam:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Key difference being those people actually use Facebook, their algorithm might be sensitive to stub accounts that are empty of information or activity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really just want impressions of the quest 2 resolution vs rift S. Really don't care about the quest as a standalone HMD at all tbh. But if it was actually a really noticable resolution bump at that price it would be pretty tempting. Rift S is so comfortable though. I really have no desire to switch, but resolution is king with VR.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

Key difference being those people actually use Facebook, their algorithm might be sensitive to stub accounts that are empty of information or activity.

It's absolutely this. Something that bot farms started doing a few years ago was mass creating accounts and then doing nothing with them for months / years so that when they were finally 'activated' to start commenting on articles and spreading disinformation it wasn't as clear that they were new accounts (kinda similar to the idea of 'shelf companies' and the way that new businesses take over old zombie companies to gain a history and credibility).

So when Facebook started seriously cracking down on (some) bot/spam/disinformation activity, accounts that have no activity or content were a big signal that the automated systems look for. It's also why basically every new Facebook account these days gets autolocked until it's ID is verified. This isn't a Facebook exclusive thing either though - if anyone here has tried to make a new twitter account in the last year or so you've almost certainly been auto locked after your first tweet until you provide a working phone number.

The fact that Facebook didn't update their algorithms to say 'hey these accounts that are being created against a $300 piece of hardware probably aren't bots', or that the contractors they use to review these decisions obviously haven't been trained to look for that is absolutely absurd though.

E: rightly or wrongly I'm willing to bet that all of these accounts that are getting locked and then being banned are skipping the "optional" sign-up steps like sending connection requests to friends, following pages etc, which are again flags for being a bot because a human signing up for a social network would want to make connections.

blunt fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 14, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

iron buns posted:

Literally billions of people manage to use Facebook every day, but VR nerds are getting banned for some reason.

:iiam:

I am not suggesting it I don't believe that the 2 reddit posts linked itt thread aren't true, because they may very well be. But even if they are it's pretty loving meaningless tbh. Obviously sucks rear end that FB is requiring an account for Quest 2, but lol at suggesting 2 unconfirmed reports being proof of everyone's worst fears being real. If this is actually an issue it will be on full blast by tomorrow.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone want to play Phasmophobia with me. Like, right now? Or another time? Just looking for people to play with.

Yeah, I'll join next time. Didn't see this earlier or I would've. Steam name is Electric J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Banned and purchases gone.

There's also killswitch flags in the Quest 1 firmware, apparently for if they think you're cheating in an online game or pirating, but I'm not sure if there's been any confirmed killswitch engagement yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dnuxfs/just_a_heads_up_that_the_latest_quest_90_update/

The one ray of hope is that Facebook announced today they're going to ban holocaust deniers, so there's a non-zero chance a bigot loses their games library.

In 11 months I never heard of anyone getting banned. FYI, things like 'performAntiPiracyKillSwitchAction()' surely means kill... the process (the cracked app) running on the device. Not kill the device, or kill the account, or kill the user (lol).

This is how the Internet telephone game works, and it ends up with people believing crazy things after a few steps down the chain.