Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’m curious to see how the hundreds of GAA games that went ahead in September contributed to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

happyhippy posted:

In a perfect world, yes.
But they will keep poo poo open to sell all the cheap plastic tat currently in shops for Halloween, let the kiddies go door to door to spread it more, then announce level 5.
Can't see them cancel Halloween, for the THINK OF THE CHILDREN! reaction
How will they sell "can't see Granny for Christmas" then?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'd sell Christmas for Halloween any day. I'd bet the kinds of close family gatherings you get at Christmas is way more dangerous than opening your door to a group of kids and throwing some monkey nuts and Haribos at em

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Marenghi posted:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1314983199773261824

Didn’t take long for NPHET to be proven correct.

The thing is, even if we went to Level 5 on Monday, we likely would still be getting these numbers right now.

It's next Monday (or the following Monday) the numbers you get on those days will be what NPHET was trying to prevent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The lag on action to cases is really making this hard for people to grasp alright, but the idea that we're going this high already should be tipping off Leo that he made a major mistake taking on the NPHET the way he did.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The lag on action to cases is really making this hard for people to grasp alright, but the idea that we're going this high already should be tipping off Leo that he made a major mistake taking on the NPHET the way he did.

But (in Leo's head) if he did that the gougers would win.

Tony Hoolahan really should have told Leo to go home and get his loving shinebox .

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The Budget is in and surprise, no one is happy.

Meanwhile in local news, Tullamore has a litter problem and I think these Dead Gay Forums have broken my mind:
https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/580463/problem-area-identified-in-litter-report-on-tullamore.html

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
God drat it go to level 5 already. I'd really like to be able to come home for christmas.

gently caress this shite government to hell.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It would be nice to see all of Leo's unearned goodwill from the initial C19 response evaporate along with his future leadership prospects.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's drying up. Rumours were floating around this week that the milkshaking was staged to make him look sympathetic.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
That rumors been floating since it happened.

Bit sus the guy was recording it before it happened. And she carried a skateboard but didn’t use it in the getaway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but the new part is that the hired actress has come forward because

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Don't think Leo getting milkshaked made any news in the north. I would like to see it though. like I'm not actually motivated to find it but if someone links it I would definitely look at it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If only it had been filled with piss

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leo Varofpisskar.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Leo Varofpisskar.

Peeo Varadkar was right there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was thinking of luke "var of piss" akehurst.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Padre Pee-o

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
If she was an actor she missed a trick by not doing a comedy villain run, there

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So uh... Twitter seems real mad that we can't visit each other but we still have to go to school and poo poo.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yeah people are pissed man. we've been told we can work and spend money and not do anything else. It's loving ridiculous to think things can run that way. This is a transition point to a full lockdown. They want another week or twos earnings in and everything will just have to close. They have to be seen to be making our hard line neoliberal capitalism work.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arquinsiel posted:

So uh... Twitter seems real mad that we can't visit each other but we still have to go to school and poo poo.

I've been staying off local twitter because I got sick of seeing "Oh oh oh so we can't do X but we can do Y?!!!"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Oh so I can go to New York City and attend a socially distanced barmitzvah with a bunch of strangers but I can't eat a trucker's rear end at a service station?!?! This is some BULLSHIT :mad:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm seeing a lot of people just refusing to send their kids to school. poo poo's falling apart in the most lol fashion.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is how it ends, nobody banging, but lots of whimpering

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Isn't Stephen Donnelly's area of interest and 'expertise' (lol) business and finance?
That would explain why everything's goning to poo poo at the moment - he's probably operating as Minister for Health from the perspective of protecting business, not people. Plus he's a preening gobshite, which wouldn't help.

quote:

Interviews with over a dozen ministers, TDs and officials, many of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, paint a picture of a Health Minister who is overly sensitive to criticism, lacking in empathy, and whose condescending approach has alienated and annoyed party and Coalition colleagues, Department officials and Opposition TDs.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/concerns-about-performance-of-stephen-donnelly-go-far-beyond-the-past-week-39608870.html

fake edit: Looks like Level 5's a comin' back. Two weeks after they said no way. This government is staggering from one disastrous misjudgement to the next :(

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Harris didn’t get everything right but he was more of a person than this shitheel.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
At least Harris spoke to the press. Donnelly has been pulling sickies to avoid press conferences and hiding behind his special advisors to block uncomfortable questions.

A mannequin would be as effective as him, and for a lot cheaper.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Something I am sure of without needing any evidence - if there were no pandemic FFG would have found another way to spectacularly gently caress it. They never stood a chance at being "good at governance". Less people would have died though

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
If crèches stay open I may not lose my mind. The rest I can sort of deal with

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Pookah posted:

Isn't Stephen Donnelly's area of interest and 'expertise' (lol) business and finance?
That would explain why everything's goning to poo poo at the moment - he's probably operating as Minister for Health from the perspective of protecting business, not people. Plus he's a preening gobshite, which wouldn't help.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/concerns-about-performance-of-stephen-donnelly-go-far-beyond-the-past-week-39608870.html

fake edit: Looks like Level 5's a comin' back. Two weeks after they said no way. This government is staggering from one disastrous misjudgement to the next :(

This is paywalled, any chance you can post the article?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Blut posted:

This is paywalled, any chance you can post the article?

You should be able to get at it here: https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20201011/281599537967395
If not, I'll screenshot + post it
:)

(Also I just looked at his wikipedia page and wouldn't you know it, he's a bloody engineer - AKA the dicipline notorious for producing people who think that because they are experts in one thing, they are automatically experts in everything)

edit: actually it's much easier to grab it from that site than I thought!

quote:

Concerns about Minister Stephen Donnelly run deep

Sunday Independent (Ireland)11 Oct 2020Hugh O’Connell

Concerns about the performance of the Health Minister go far beyond the events of the past week, writes Hugh O’Connell

AT 5.59pm last Wednesday, five minutes after news of five new Covid deaths and 611 new cases were announced, Stephen Donnelly tweeted a video of his achievements in his first 100 days as Health Minister. “He’s only getting started,” the narrator concluded. After three months in Miesian Plaza, the verdict from colleagues across Government and in Leinster House is not as positive.

Interviews with over a dozen ministers, TDs and officials, many of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, paint a picture of a Health Minister who is overly sensitive to criticism, lacking in empathy, and whose condescending approach has alienated and annoyed party and Coalition colleagues, Department officials and Opposition TDs.

The minister’s difficulties were exacerbated last week when the CMO, Dr Tony Holohan, revealed he had kept Donnelly informed of concerns about the rising number of Covid-19 cases last weekend. Donnelly has become so embattled that on Thursday — 103 days into the coalition’s existence — Taoiseach Micheál Martin had to state full confidence in his Health Minister. This came hours before Donnelly was before the Dáil answering questions about his conversations with the CMO last weekend.

SHORTCOMINGS

The concerns about Donnelly go beyond last week’s events or media outings that have attracted ridicule. Donnelly’s Twitter video — paid for by Fianna Fáil and posted, it is understood, without the minister’s knowledge — may have been about lauding his achievements, but it also inadvertently highlighted shortcomings. The declaration that he had brought in legislation to extend free GP care for all school children neglected to mention that plans to extend the measure to under-8s have been indefinitely delayed.

So concerned was Tánaiste Leo Varadkar about this that he raised it at Cabinet last month, prompting an uneasy exchange with Donnelly over whether or not funding was already set aside for the measure. Meanwhile, children under eight will be waiting until at least next year.

The video also boasted of having increased access to medical cards for over-70s, but it didn’t say this was supposed to happen in July — but didn’t, because Donnelly didn’t sign the regulations. The escalating cost of Covid was blamed, but with pressure mounting from Fianna Fáil TDs last month, it is now being implemented from next month. “I worked for about two months to get that memo to Cabinet,” Donnelly told the Sunday Independent yesterday afternoon. “It was a good news story this week.”

But in announcing it, Donnelly managed to alienate one of his own junior ministers, sources said. Having been inundated with queries in recent weeks, Minister of State for Older People Mary Butler lobbied hard to advance the measure, which benefits around 56,000 over-70s. But Donnelly made no reference to his colleague when he announced it on Tuesday.

“His video is all about him, all he did. There are three other juniors in his department… She [Butler] worked hard on the medical card bit of it and it was totally overshadowed,” said a Fianna Fáil minister.

Insiders say relations between Butler and Donnelly are strained. Butler, her allies say, felt excluded from the deliberations leading up to the launch of a report on Covid-19 in nursing homes on August 20.

Last month, while Donnelly was restricting his movements at home in Wicklow following his high-profile Covid scare, Butler represented him at the HSE’s Winter Plan launch and frequently takes commencement matters on his behalf in the Seanad. But there is little thanks or communication from the senior minister. “She has a huge amount of knowledge and was Opposition spokesperson on older people for four years,” said one source. “She could be included more and it’s not happening… Mary is totally frustrated by that.”

Butler did not respond to calls this weekend. Donnelly would not comment on the matter yesterday. His spokesperson said he meets regularly with junior ministers and “he does not intend to respond to anonymous sources or hearsay”.

Frustration with Donnelly is felt across Fianna Fáil. Three parliamentary party members separately identified a lack of “bedside manner”.

“Stephen is incredibly intelligent and very bright but lacks emotional intelligence at times. He lacks bedside manner,” said one.

Another, who is a junior minister, said: “He’s kind of an academic in his demeanour, he’d be a perfect member of Nphet — but he’s not a normal politician.”

Others are more scathing. “He has had a few nasty exchanges with backbenchers and he doesn’t hold them in much esteem,” said one TD. “I have found him to be extremely condescending.”

In response to this and other criticism, Donnelly’s spokesperson said: “The Minister does not intend to respond to anonymous sources.”

When Labour TD Duncan Smith referred to the events of last weekend as an “absolute calamity” in the Dáil on Thursday, Donnelly told him to be careful with words. “The way he commented on my use of language was patronising and an attempt to distract from the substance of the issue,” Smith later said.

Smith’s colleague Aodhán Ó Ríordaín recalled a recent conversation with Donnelly about drugs policy that left him “disappointed about his lack of knowledge” on the issue. “I didn’t get the sense that he was going to take a risk on it,” the Labour TD said.

CRITICISM

Some Fianna Fáil backbenchers have a more positive view of Donnelly, saying he is approachable and responsive to constituency queries. But, there is also a view that Donnelly is overly sensitive to criticism in the media. Late one night in August, Senator Malcolm Byrne took a call from an unhappy Donnelly who wanted him to delete a tweet he had posted stating that up to 50 people were, at that point in time, allowed at some indoor cultural events. The Minister claimed the tweet was incorrect.

But Byrne, who had been inundated with queries from the sector that day, explained to Donnelly that he had gotten clarity from the Department of Arts as well as the Taoiseach’s senior aides. Not only that, shortly before Donnelly rang, Byrne had spoken to Micheál Martin directly.

The Minister, who had earlier publicly — and incorrectly — stated that only six people were allowed at such events, was the following day forced to back down. Donnelly’s allies say he took the hit for a mistake by the Department of Arts.

In another incident, Donnelly rang party colleague James Lawless after the Kildare North TD made a brief appearance on RTÉ’s Six One News discussing the end of the Kildare lockdown. Lawless had suggested changes in how future local lockdowns are administered, but Donnelly told him “Jesus, that was not helpful”. Colleagues say Lawless was and still is furious about the call, believing he had managed much of the local fallout for Fianna Fáil from the Kildare lockdown. Donnelly’s recollection of the phone call is that it was a positive one.

In the Department of Health, senior officials do not hold Donnelly in high regard. Some have complained privately that he is rude, speaks at them and doesn’t listen. “He rubs people up the wrong way, he has a particular way of superiority,” said one Department source. “The officials would like to feel they are listened to and not spoken to.”

Others working in the Department say significant staffing changes have been made on the sixth floor, where Donnelly is based. “He wasn’t happy with what’s around him,” a second source said.

In the last two weeks, Donnelly’s private secretary — a gatekeeper of a minister’s diary and correspondence — was replaced. Two sources said Donnelly didn’t speak to the individual before they were moved elsewhere in the Department — though this is disputed by others. “There was a compatibility issue,” the one source said. “It was the talk of the place.” A spokesperson for Donnelly said: “The Minister has no role in staffing or in HR at the Department for Health. That is a matter for the civil service.”

Some in Fianna Fáil believe Donnelly could be a transformative Health Minister if given the chance, pointing to his commitment to implementing Sláintecare and the unprecedented €600m he secured for the HSE winter plan. All that is more challenging in a pandemic.

Donnelly’s government colleagues are concerned he did not sound alarm bells once the returning CMO texted him last Saturday to say he was calling an emergency Nphet meeting to discuss rising case numbers. “It does suggest at best a hands-off approach,” a Cabinet source said. “If Micheál was alerted to the importance of the meeting... he would have been in the car from Cork to Dublin.”

Donnelly’s spokesperson said: “Of course the minister and his senior government colleagues appreciate the gravity of Covid. They are managing the impact every day. The health minister, the Taoiseach and the Tánaiste were all aware on Saturday that a meeting of Nphet had been called for the following day. On Sunday, ahead of the Nphet meeting, the CMO advised the Minister that Level 4 might be considered. The Minister immediately informed the Taoiseach. The Tánaiste’s office was also informed.”

The Minister’s spokesperson further added: “For the avoidance of doubt, the Minister would like to make it clear that he has no intention of trying to muzzle Nphet. Nphet is an advisory body and it is important that Nphet is allowed to do its job without political interference.”

They also said that Donnelly believes whoever leaked Nphet’s Level 5 recommendation last weekend “showed blatant disregard for public health”. Dr Holohan expressed a not dissimilar view on Wednesday.

DIVISIONS

Donnelly and Holohan must now establish a strong working relationship to avoid the sort of damaging divisions that emerged this week. This will be more difficult as public health’s rising concern about the virus clashes with government fears about the societal and economic impacts of lockdown. Communication is key, according to one official involved in the early response to the pandemic. Back then, the official explained, the

CMO “briefed before and after every Nphet meeting”. They added: “You knew what the craic was and you could socialise it with Taoiseach’s and then he’d [Holohan] come with the proposals after every one and it all kicked in from there. Where Stephen and Co seem to be in trouble is that they get the recommendations and next thing it is at Cabinet.”

One example of this was when Donnelly brought proposals to Cabinet in late August to make it a criminal offence to have more than six people in a person’s home. The move stunned ministers and officials, with one saying it was “utterly bizarre” that the proposal had not received prior approval from the Taoiseach’s office. Justice Minister Helen McEntee later told journalists they were “extreme” after the Cabinet had vetoed them. Donnelly’s spokesperson said the regulations were drawn up in conjunction with the Office of the Parliamentary Counsel to the Government after a Government decision in early August on foot of Nphet advice.

Questions are also being asked at a senior Government level as to why Donnelly has still not ensured deals are in place with private hospitals for extra capacity in the event of a second surge. The previous takeover in the spring lapsed in June. The Department of Health said: “The HSE is currently in negotiations with private hospitals regarding the provision of capacity in the event of a second surge.” However, a source in the private hospital sector said there was no contact on the issue for eight weeks. “If this thing goes south in the next few weeks, people are going to be asking: ‘Where’s the deal with the private hospitals,’” a government source said.

There is some sympathy for Donnelly. “I think he’s probably more academic, he means well but he doesn’t realise what a treacherous swamp Health is,” said one Fine Gael TD privately. “The Minister for Health carries the s*** for everything. I haunt him with PQs, but it’s a difficult job. I don’t dislike him.”

But the desire for him to succeed comes with a warning. Fine Gael TD Colm Burke said: “Every contract you’re offered has a six-month probationary period — he has another three months. I don’t need to be driving division now — come back to me in three months’ time. I might have a different view.”

‘I found him to be extremely condescending’

‘It does suggest at best a handsoff approach’

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 16, 2020

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Interesting, thanks for that.

It sounds like a lot of the sources are rumblings from within FF. I can't blame him for being condescending towards FF backbenchers. I doubt most intelligent people would have much time for dealing with the rural/conservative/corrupt/stupid TDs that make up most of the FF backbench.

Being Minister for Health is going to kill Donnelly's career either way though. Theres just no way he comes out of this without looking awful - too much locking down and the rest of the health services/people's mental health/ the economy are ruined, too little locking down and corona deaths spiral. Threading that needle is an impossible task.

With the distribution of a vaccine years away at this stage, and Leo now sniping from the sidelines about lockdowns, Donnelly & Martin are going to become the face / fall guys for the damage from the lockdowns as it escalates.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blut posted:

With the distribution of a vaccine years away at this stage
CoronaVac is set to have the phase 3 trial results made public on Monday.

That's at the least shown less side effects than the other vaccine trials, so I'm hoping it's shown to be effective.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

CoronaVac is set to have the phase 3 trial results made public on Monday.

That's at the least shown less side effects than the other vaccine trials, so I'm hoping it's shown to be effective.

A vaccine passing trials is just the first step in a very, very lengthy, years long process. And no vaccine is even there yet. We then need billions of doses produced, and distributed, globally. RTE et al aren't covering it, but every expert in the field is saying its going to be literally years before any vaccine is fully rolled out:

Coronavirus: Young people may not get vaccine until 2022, says WHO - Chief scientist hopes for effective vaccine by 2021 but only in ‘limited’ quantities - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-young-people-may-not-get-vaccine-until-2022-says-who-1.4381652

Less than half the UK population can expect to be vaccinated against coronavirus - “There’s going to be no vaccination of people under 18. It’s an adult-only vaccine, for people over 50, focusing on health workers and care home workers and the vulnerable.” -- https://www.ft.com/content/d2e00128-7889-4d5d-84a3-43e51355a751

Not enough Covid vaccine for all until 2024, says biggest producer -- https://www.ft.com/content/a832d5d7-4a7f-42cc-850d-8757f19c3b6b

etc

We also have the very large issue that a large % of the population is going to refuse to take the vaccine, even after the above. Up to 50% in some countries:

"Recent polls have found as few as 50% of people in the United States are committed to receiving a vaccine, with another quarter wavering. In France, 26% said they wouldn’t get a coronavirus vaccine". -- https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/just-50-americans-plan-get-covid-19-vaccine-here-s-how-win-over-rest

Up to one third of people in UK may refuse coronavirus vaccine -- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/one-third-uk-may-not-get-coronavirus-vaccine-one-developed-new/

So even in 2022, if we do have an effective vaccine, and if we have managed to successfully produce and distribute it in sufficient numbers, there isn't going to be some magic "corona is BEATEN" moment. The virus is with us forever now.

Blut fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 16, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There isn't going to be a magic corona is beaten moment, but there will hopefully be a shift towards it not being so deadly among the old and people exposed to large amounts like healthcare workers, because they can get vaccinated. Even if it has to be a yearly one because it loses effectiveness, it'll be more like how the various flus are handled in places that handle the various flus properly, with masks and washing your hands, than what's going on at the moment.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Even that optimistic take is 18 months away though, at best, if it happens. It remains to be seen how people's mental health, how the rest of the health service, how the economy etc will hold up in the mean time. But I'd guess "not well".

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Blut posted:

Interesting, thanks for that.

It sounds like a lot of the sources are rumblings from within FF. I can't blame him for being condescending towards FF backbenchers. I doubt most intelligent people would have much time for dealing with the rural/conservative/corrupt/stupid TDs that make up most of the FF backbench.

No question they are morons, but he actively chose to join their party, so either he thinks the party is fine and good as it is, or he thinks he can almost single-handedly reform and reshape FF from within. Neither option suggests good judgement on his part. Politicians have to be tacticians, they have to be able to work with people , even if they privately think they are idiots, and Donnelly seems to rub a great many people up the wrong way, even those who should reasonably be expected to be his allies.

I know, I'm biased because that ratfucker effectively tricked me into voting for FF, but he really does appear to me to be one of those guys who radiate confidence so strongly that they trick those around them into accepting them at their own extremely inflated self-evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
gently caress all of this Covid talk. Where is Fungie?? Who is this fake Fungie I'm hearing about??