Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

evil_bunnY posted:

Right there's no good reason all new appliances shouldnt be able to manage ethanol.

Also, brushless DC tools are pretty univerally amazing. Once you've had a chainsaw that pulls max torque at 10RPM and never needs to be pull started ever *and* barely requires earpro you'll never want to go back. The huge drop in maintenance is also nice.

Now in horror movies the battery would be dead instead of no gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

non-ethanol fuel is basically impossible to buy now.

I'm really surprised to hear that, I didn't know. Down here in Oz land the E10 pump is surrounded by 98, 95, 91 and diesel in every station. Both my cars demand 98 and sometimes they get it, sometimes I cheap out on 91.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Corn Lobby.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you live in a state who's primary product is corn you've had ethanol in your gas for at least 10 years now. There was a lot of hand wringing that "Ethanol is dead, corn industry is DOOMED" around 2005 when deployment at gas stations slowed down. So guess what, the corn dorks organized and they got their corn fuel at every gas station.

(there may be some hyperbole in this statement, gas prices were climbing fast around that time and a lot of people were worried about energy independence too)

It'd be a painful scavenger hunt to find a pump that has a non-ethanol option here in Illinois.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thankfully every Shell I've seen around Ontario has ethanol free Premium which I'll throw in the bike before winter storage.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Modern small engine carb seals and fuel systems are designed to handle ethanol, that's not the issue.
The issue is that ethanol is hygroscopic, so when it's left in carburetors any steel parts rust. It also turns into a nasty gummy goo relatively quickly.
They can make the seals impervious to ethanol, but nothing besides fuel stabalizer (or just draining the fuel system at the end of the season (or preferably both)) is going to keep the things from gumming up.

I always put stabalizer in my mower, generators, cars I don't drive regularly, etc. It's cheap insurance to (help) keep their carbs and fuel systems from turning to poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you live in an oil state, you can get gas that's only up to 10% ethanol.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chrisgt posted:

Modern small engine carb seals and fuel systems are designed to handle ethanol, that's not the issue.
The issue is that ethanol is hygroscopic, so when it's left in carburetors any steel parts rust. It also turns into a nasty gummy goo relatively quickly.
They can make the seals impervious to ethanol, but nothing besides fuel stabalizer (or just draining the fuel system at the end of the season (or preferably both)) is going to keep the things from gumming up.

I always put stabalizer in my mower, generators, cars I don't drive regularly, etc. It's cheap insurance to (help) keep their carbs and fuel systems from turning to poo poo.

E85 is fine, and a great product that I fully support. Putting corn alcohol in my regular pump gas is a loving atrocity.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a seemingly dumb question, why is ethanol not sold as a stabilized product?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Here's a seemingly dumb question, why is ethanol not sold as a stabilized product?

Because an extra additive would take out of the CEO's bonus.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
E85 is great, but locally it seems like there are constantly problems with the pump E85 being a different content than advertised or water contaminated. Seems like too much of a risk to me.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

E85 is great, but locally it seems like there are constantly problems with the pump E85 being a different content than advertised or water contaminated. Seems like too much of a risk to me.

After working on one corn mobile for a while and running into this I'd only use it with an ethanol content sensor. Having to fill cans, measure, and add e100 to hit the sweet spot was a pain in the rear end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Maybe this ethanol thing was a bad idea.

Edit: For cars.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 13, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I love that ford went on a full marketing offensive with the "flex fuel" bullshit. got it proudly badged on their trucks and even made a vehicle named after it "ford flex" which sold like dogshit. Turns out all cars can use flex fuel but it's not that great of a thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how people do any sort of yard work involving machinery and not wear jeans and shoes.

I'm in Florida and own one pair of jeans that I wear a few times a year :v:

But yeah it's way too hot to wear jeans for yard work here, I have a pair of really light nylon cargo pants I wear for when i use the trimmer, everything else it's shorts. I do wear sneakers at least tho.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

E85 is fine, and a great product that I fully support. Putting corn alcohol in my regular pump gas is a loving atrocity.

I see it the other way around.

Blending a modest amount of ethanol into gasoline yields benefits in antiknock and emissions.

E85, though, is pointless. It’s just a waste of land, fertiliser, labour, and machinery.

Godholio posted:

Maybe this ethanol thing was a bad idea.

said approximately no one between the invention of language and the first millennium of the Common Era.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

Momjorts420. Wear pants.

StormDrain posted:

Yeah and shoes. I'm assuming a person mowing and running a trimmer in shorts also has flip flops on.

Skate shoes and China's finest basketball shorts actually, my new full time outfit for the covid era. After living in unparalleled comfort all the time I can't go back to pants. Also when that happened I was doing yard work when it was 103 degrees outside, it was the only time I could fit it in. I honestly never considered wearing pants while mowing / trimming, but my mower has never shot anything out at high speed.

In the winter I can start wearing my leathers while I mow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think I mowed for the fewest times ever this year here in SW PA.

It got warm late.

Then it got hot and stopped raining.

Now it's continuing to not rain and get cold.

There was an 8 week span from late June to late August where I didn't cut it at all because it pretty much all died due to heat and rainfall. Now it's going dormant. I figure there's maybe one or two cuts left, mostly for stray leaf cleanup. I'll wait until my neighbors sort their leaves after they all fall off.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BlackMK4 posted:

Coworker had his built s2k blow up due to the delivery guy for the e85 station apparently accidentally putting diesel in the e85 tank. That station had to pay out for a bunch of people's hosed up engines.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LifeSunDeath posted:

got it proudly badged on their trucks and even made a vehicle named after it "ford flex" which sold like dogshit.

Not sure where you came up with this one.

I gotta say using food as fuel seems like a bad plan overall, especially if there's anyone starving.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

said approximately no one between the invention of language and the first millennium of the Common Era.

I is missing a rather important qualifier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I gotta say using food as fuel seems like a bad plan overall, especially if there's anyone starving.

Also a bad idea if the farmers growing it are given massive subsidies to do so and are unsustainably sucking water out of an aquifer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oddly enough, my 20-year old sidevalve B&S mower has no problem with e10-15. It usually fires right up after sleeping for the winter. Which of course is because I sort of want it to die so I can justifiably buy an electric...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

Oddly enough, my 20-year old sidevalve B&S mower has no problem with e10-15. It usually fires right up after sleeping for the winter. Which of course is because I sort of want it to die so I can justifiably buy an electric...

Those loving things survive on sheer spite. I've got one that's 20+ years old. I've owned it for 12 years (it came with my house). I've changed the oil exactly once, with used oil from one of the cars. I've never changed the plug, only knocked out the air filter. It gets run dry on stabilized gas at the end of the year. I also use it as a brush hog by standing it up at an angle on the rear wheels and just hacking back the undergrowth. I've clobbered stumps with the blade bad enough to bend the blade. It still fires up on the third pull once you prime it. It JUST WON'T loving DIE!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell me about it.
I actually treat this one fairly well, It gets a new plug and oil change every most years, an new carb gasket (for the plastic carb), and I've welded bits back together a few times. It's been modified with tall wheels from another model that uses the same deck, and longer handlebars because I'm taller than normal cheap mower users, apparently. It doesn't even smoke. My brother in law gave it to me, used, shortly after we bought our house, when he decided to just use a lawn service. That was in 2000, so it's at least 20 years old. I don't stabilize the gas or run it out in winter, and the drat thing fires ever summer. I won't purposefully sabotage it, but I don't baby it either. I do need to weld up a crack in the deck again - I welded it once, but I did a poor job, or should have backed it with something.
I will probably end up buying an electric anyway and donating or selling this one cheap to someone who needs one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheBacon posted:

Coworker had his built s2k blow up due to the delivery guy for the e85 station apparently accidentally putting diesel in the e85 tank. That station had to pay out for a bunch of people's hosed up engines.

This happened to an ex-girlfriend of mine. Brand new Holden Astra, had less than two thousand kilometers on the clock, filled her car up going home one night and then it wouldn't start in the morning. Their insurance was going to pay for engine repairs, her insurance got her a replacement car.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

I see it the other way around.

Blending a modest amount of ethanol into gasoline yields benefits in antiknock and emissions.

E85, though, is pointless. It’s just a waste of land, fertiliser, labour, and machinery.

Counterpoint: Boosted engines love alky, and boost is good.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Platystemon had a point about there being greatly diminishing returns with respect to knock resistance above a certain ethanol blend, I want to say it was in the 30 or 40 percent window.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I have a john deere lawn tractor from the mid-60's with a kohler engine. The thing starts right up and runs great every time. It has so much blowby I had to put a tighter bend on the little springy things that hold the dipstick in. Sometimes it blows out and shoots a cloud of oil vapor, but the thing is otherwise fairly indestructible.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Those old side valve Briggs are unkillable, this guy's tried, a lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Those old side valve Briggs are unkillable, this guy's tried, a lot.

I have a dead one in the garage, clipped my water main access hole one too many times and lost all compression. :v:

I just need to scrap it, I had illusions of doing a teardown but I just don't give enough of a poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
in case you want to find ethanol free gas in your area.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

thats what i thought

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pretty much all of those places are specialty racing fuel suppliers where you buy the fuel in drums, too.

California has its own special requirement that all gasoline sold in the state be oxygenated, and adding alcohol is the easiest way to do that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We got Jimmy out back blowin bubbles in the gas to oxygenate it.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I got a Vpower Card so I just stick Vpower into all the cars and bike which in Germany has neither elevated ethanol nor bio diesel content for Vpower Diesel.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Counterpoint: Boosted engines love alky, and boost is good.

A little E85 is also good for getting a rotary that's just a little too high in HCs to pass emissions. Or so I've heard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

Pretty much all of those places are specialty racing fuel suppliers where you buy the fuel in drums, too.

California has its own special requirement that all gasoline sold in the state be oxygenated, and adding alcohol is the easiest way to do that.

The one I've been to on warm springs is in pumps. :shrug: but it's definitely uncommon and not worth the drive to go get.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The closest ethanol-free pump is 1500ft from my house.

It also wasn't listed on pure-gas.org for some reason, so I added it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The closest ethanol-free pump is 1500ft from my house.

It also wasn't listed on pure-gas.org for some reason, so I added it.

Marina?