Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Jabby, as a doctor you're absolutely the last person who should be thinking that. Johnson U-turns on or half-arses every COVID safety measure that would have an effect as soon as he sees they're unpopular, because he wants to be loved by the people. And May is much more likely to have done what was necessary regardless of whether it was popular because again as you say, she didn't care if she was hated.

Yeah but the unpopular measures are done to save lives, and I don't think May would have even considered the death toll. She would have done whatever she was told was best for the economy which would probably have been the "Swedish model" of doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did you see that film Snowpiercer?

The people at the back of the train are low class, they eat some kind of protein slabs (which we find out what they are made of part way through the film), and plan a revolution and try to make it to the front of the train. The train continually follows a global track.

Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowpiercer
Great film. Directed by the same guy as Parasite (which I still need to see). Combines critism of capitalism with a futuristic world-spanning train, what's not to love.

You also get to find out what kind of human flesh captain america thinks tastes best. Its Babies!

Iirc the film was based on a series of novels so the new Amazon series isn't exactly related to the film, its just another adaptation. Haven't watched that yet either.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

Always a good read Twisto :D
---

Entirely unrelated, at least someone is finally putting to rest an age old thread debate:
https://twitter.com/walkers_crisps/status/1316013709316161546

Shreddies did it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8McutvNwtI

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ronya posted:

Gotta say, at the beginning of this year I did not expect that by the end of the year there would be not one but two culture-war-aligned battles dividing both LAB and CON once again.

wonder what loto's thoughts are on the football league bailout

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Mr Phillby posted:

the new Amazon series isn't exactly related to the film, its just another adaptation. Haven't watched that yet either.
Very good production values, but doesn't have the gritty charm of the film, and the characters are a little wooden and shallow ('er off Labyrinth was good tho). I also found a lot of the plot (wrt the actions of characters/the populace) a little unbelievable, as if the screenwriters may have been coming at it from a very capitalist perspective, but I may be veering a little into "why do the proletariat, the largest class, ..." territory here. Definitely worth a watch though, we enjoyed it, it just doesn't bear comparison to the film well, they're doing completely different things with the story & the film's thing appeals to me more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is there a form of statisticians' pareidolia where you see exponential curves in everything or are we hosed again?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

jabby posted:

Yeah but the unpopular measures are done to save lives, and I don't think May would have even considered the death toll. She would have done whatever she was told was best for the economy which would probably have been the "Swedish model" of doing nothing.

Yeah, but Sweden has a lower death rate than the UK. Probably because their definition of ‘doing nothing’ is, overall, stricter than coming up with in a new set of multi-tier regional rules every three weeks.

Oct 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Is there a form of statisticians' pareidolia where you see exponential curves in everything or are we hosed again?

Its going to be a bleak winter, if we're very lucky the lack of super spreader events will limit the growth rate unlike the last time

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

We need to stop focusing on deaths per day (at least until the criminal trials of those involved start up) and look at hospitalisation rates and those are *not* looking good:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

(Of course nobody's putting them in a nice graph for everyone to look at, but basically we went from 328 a day to 524 a day just last week)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I work in education and wish they'd just shut the schools, but think we'll have Christmas Nativities performed to empty rooms before that happens

Borrovan posted:

Very good production values, but doesn't have the gritty charm of the film, and the characters are a little wooden and shallow ('er off Labyrinth was good tho). I also found a lot of the plot (wrt the actions of characters/the populace) a little unbelievable, as if the screenwriters may have been coming at it from a very capitalist perspective, but I may be veering a little into "why do the proletariat, the largest class, ..." territory here. Definitely worth a watch though, we enjoyed it, it just doesn't bear comparison to the film well, they're doing completely different things with the story & the film's thing appeals to me more.

I gave up on the series midway through, but it was okay. Low budget Battlestar Galactica on a train. The film is really good though, nice combination of class and violence plus trains, it's like the perfect UKMT Christmas movie.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We need to stop focusing on deaths per day (at least until the criminal trials of those involved start up) and look at hospitalisation rates and those are *not* looking good:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

(Of course nobody's putting them in a nice graph for everyone to look at, but basically we went from 328 a day to 524 a day just last week)
Isn’t this page putting that data in a nice graph?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Going back to electricity chat briefly, I think you'll enjoy this Dutch weirdness. How would you hook up a 7.2kW single phase electric hob? 32A breaker and appropriately sized 3-core cable, right? Not here!

Instead you take 2 separate 16A breakers, a 5-core cable, attach your two lives and two neutrals, and away you go. But isn't this horribly dangerous, because if you lose one of the neutrals, the hob will continue to work while sending 32A down the remaining one? Nope, because the neutrals in the hob aren't commoned, it's effectively two independent hobs in one.

It took me (a fake electrician) and my colleague (a real one), a lot of puzzling to figure that last bit out. Turns out it's a perfectly normal thing over here, called a "fornuisgroep" (hob circuit), and local electricians look at your weird when you question it!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

It took me (a fake electrician)

Is this like FakeTaxi?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Nothing will ever happen to them, but we really should strongly consider bringing back hanging just for this incompetent government.

Happy Christmas, don't bother getting anything for your nan.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Conspiracy theory logic: anti-masker on my local town FB group:

Masks being worn in shops and elsewhere for the last few weeks, infections going up.
Therefore either masks don't work or masks are making it worse.

So, say I, there's another explanation and that is that if people weren't wearing masks so much it would be MORE worse.
Rubbish, says anti-masker and a bunch of other people.... and in any case after a few weeks the masks smell.... (hello? haven't they heard of washing them?)

I'm wondering whether to start wearing 2 masks to compensate for those wearing none.

Ed: said anti-masker also has a large gob and is probably projecting droplets all over the show. And he spends a lot of time in one of South Wales' lockdown towns/ pubs and so on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

But isn't this horribly dangerous, because if you lose one of the neutrals, the hob will continue to work while sending 32A down the remaining one?
:britain:

It's not as good as the three phase system you get in Germany for ovens, but it makes far more sense than anything involving ring mains.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

Yeah, but Sweden has a lower death rate than the UK. Probably because their definition of ‘doing nothing’ is, overall, stricter than coming up with in a new set of multi-tier regional rules every three weeks.

Swedes are more naturally inclined towards social distancing. No lockdown works better when everyone is already avoiding people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Rubbish, says anti-masker and a bunch of other people.... and in any case after a few weeks the masks smell.... (hello? haven't they heard of washing them?)

This is where you go with shaming like "why don't you wash your mask occasionally you vile dirtbird? Or use disposable masks?". Or, better option, delete FB

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

justcola posted:

I work in education and wish they'd just shut the schools, but think we'll have Christmas Nativities performed to empty rooms before that happens

But if you close the schools, how will the children learn that the Mitochondria is the Powerhouse of the Cell?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ConanThe3rd posted:

But if you close the schools, how will the children learn that the Coronavirus is the Death of the Cell?!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/_kayayem/status/1316285605203058693?s=19

They're all such cunts.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah that ain't looking good. When the govt science bods did their press briefing a few weeks back they said if things kept going we'd be back at 200 deaths a day, at first I thought that was a very low estimate but I was still surprised by yesterday's high death count, which I think will continue to wobble upwards. With these half measures it's not going to make much difference, people will just keep doing what they want to do. I had tickets for legoland last week but called it off at the last minute as it's just not worth taking the risk, but going by some of the footage I saw in there (especially considering it was a normal schoolday) not many others think like that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

Another SAGE member, Sir Jeremy Farrar described the government's current strategy of enhanced localised measures as the "worst of all worlds" as it offers "the economic damage of more restrictions without the gain of a reduction in transmission".

You'd think that after 9 months of a pandemic the government might have started to learn some lessons, maybe gain some competence, but no

40% will still vote for them because the bins so they can get away with making the minimum effort while robbing the country

They're all such cunts.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Legoland is all outside from what I remember - reguardless of mask wearing or case numbers it's pretty much risk free. Does show the economic impact of spiralling cases though - even if the government isn't going to do anything people will.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 14, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Borrovan posted:

I really liked the film, but I preferred the TV series.

They both start in the exact same place but diverge nicely.

The film starts with a planned uprising from the tail car, which sort of works.
The show does that too, before that fails as the revolution hasn't planned it out and realize they need the support of the workers too. and the series is about building said support.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

Swedes are more naturally inclined towards social distancing. No lockdown works better when everyone is already avoiding people.

Sweden also has 1/10th the population density which probably helps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah directly comparing with Sweden is some BS. South Korea is probably the most comparable with population, density, main cities, but with an actual competent response.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Our only hope is that Covid kills off enough Tory voters that the competent seriousface guy and his shower of melt cunts can scrape enough of a majority together at the next GE to maybe not take us to full facism.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm wondering whether to start wearing 2 masks to compensate for those wearing none.

Don't do this, they'll just rub against each other and tear the protective barrier 🙃

blunt fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 14, 2020

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Population density by itself can be misleading - for example Australia is simultaneously one of the least densely populated countries and one of the most heavily urbanised. I would not be surprised if Sweden was similar.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

blunt posted:

Don't do this, they'll just rub against each other and tear the protective barrier 🙃

This sounds filthy.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Population density by itself can be misleading - for example Australia is simultaneously one of the least densely populated countries and one of the most heavily urbanised. I would not be surprised if Sweden was similar.

not really

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Flat Earthers: If earth was round everyone would fall towards the south.

Swedes:

Also Malmö sounds like a brand of frozen yogurt. Is Malmö a brand of frozen yogurt?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Malmö is occupied Denmark. So yes, I guess?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MikeCrotch posted:

Eh, I dunno, suburban sprawl is kinda the order of the day to a degree that went beyond absurd a while ago and high-density housing is an alien art.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I thought the tories were the party of small business.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

pee is stored in the balls helmet?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kecske posted:

pee is stored in the balls helmet?

It is if you pinch your foreskin and make a pee-balloon

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc the film was based on a series of novels so the new Amazon series isn't exactly related to the film, its just another adaptation. Haven't watched that yet either.

Well, comics/graphic novels, same as half the other things on TV these days. I've just started watching The Boys, talking of, pretty good (if a bit gory) so far :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

I thought the tories were the party of small business.
Small as in not much, not small as in shopkeepers.