Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nechung Oracle and Accept the Material

e: Update and vote on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Meritocracy (cause Republican tradition is crucial for republics) and Encourage Attendancy given the crazy amount of revolts/rebellions we've just had.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Accept the Material and Meritocracy

Let's learn to live with the world in which we live.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Meritocracy and Knucle Slammers

gently caress knuckles, anyone who wins at bloody knuckles advances up the ladder

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Meritocracy and Nechung Oracle.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Reformed Monasticism and KNUCKLE SLAMMERS.

I'm going to join our Empress in exile. She will make an excellent host for the spirit of Lasya the Holy, the truest and greatest Empress! Just, uh, don't tell her that's what I'm planning.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ive completely lost the storyline going on right now. Even after re-reading it.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ive completely lost the storyline going on right now. Even after re-reading it.

Gyalyum II lost against another wave of rebels and was replaced by Tsering I Lhagyari, who established a republic as the thread voted. While she is calling it a 'regency' in name only as a fig leaf to other nobility, it is still a republic in gameplay terms.

Tsering I is also a High Church Bon, in contrast to Restorationist Bon. This vote is about aspects of the Restorationist Church, and there will be a few more votes to establish exactly what kind of republic we're going to have here.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Venerate the Second Tse and Encourage Attendance.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Venerate the Second Tse

and

Nechung Oracle

that's the ticket

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

Restorationist Bon Aspects:

Encourage Attendancy: 3 (Xelkelvos, Guper, Viola the Mad)
Nechung Oracle: 7 (Xelkelvos, Lord Cyrahzax, Albino Squirrel, Nechung Oracle, Technowolf, megane, Chief Savage Man)
Accept the Material: 4 (Lord Cyrahzax, McGavin, Technowolf, QuoProQuid)
One Thousand Dmyal Ba Realms: 2 (Albino Squirrel, zealouscub)
Reformed Monasticism: 2 (McGavin, habeusdorkus)
Meritocracy: 5 (zealouscub, Guper, QuoProQuid, ThatBasqueGuy, megane)
Venerate the Second Tse: 3 (AJ_Impy, Viola the Mad, Chief Savage Man)
Knuckle Slammers: 2 (ThatBasqueGuy, habeusdorkus)

With seven and five votes, respectively, Nechung Oracle and Meritocracy will become aspects of the Restorationist Bon faith.

Unfortunately there will be a gap before the next update about our new republic. But are there any questions about the world and any developments since 1600?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It'd be fun to hear about some of the smaller nations/colonies in, say, the British Isles.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

The Kingdom of Anglaland is in bad shape; Queen Freyja III is in desperate straits as nearly all of its lands are occupied by the Sultanate of Mellerstafjall, except for the city of Jorvik.

Gall-Ghŕidhealaibh was one of the greatest of the Scottish kingdoms; it has since disintegrated, leaving only a rump state in southern Wales.

It is also surrounded by successful invaders - in Hampshire, Germans; to its southwest, in Cornwall, Tlaxcala, under Aztahua II.

The Scottish kingdoms were conquered by the Abenaki Confederation in the past decade; the Tsalagihi Ayeli have maintained a town at the mouth of the River Ness.

Cathar Tír Chonaill, which once held much of Scotland, the north, and northern Ireland, is reduced to its holdings in Ireland and the Hebrides. Orkneyjar remains independent.

Ulster, to its east, is held by the Wyandot.

The once united kingdom that held all of Ireland collapsed in the 1550s, and its remnants have been easy pickings. Cocomes, under the brilliant and cruel military leader Ahmetakkukul, now holds much of the west of Ireland, and the city-state of Ormond has converted to the Maya religion.

Uíbh Fhailí, also Cathar, was one of the successor states of the Irish Kingdom; it now only retains the very southwest of the island.

Religions Map:

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 9, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm really curious about Central America and its environs.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

lol at Mayreland (that’s an easier portmanteau to say than spell)

This world has a delightfully screwy Europe and watching random things happen to it in the background behind Tibet is my low-key favorite part.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What religion is that in the isle of man?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Tulip posted:

I'm really curious about Central America and its environs.

While we in Tibet don't know everything here, there's still an intense interest in the region. here's what we have:

The Muisca Confederation has expanded almost continuously since the 1440s - first at the expense of the declining Triple Alliance, then with the Miskito peoples' territories, then the Caribs, and eventually reaching the borders of what was The Four Regions..

The Muisca also are one of the largest polities on earth that is not strictly a hereditary monarchy - the leader of the confederation is selected by lot from a pool of eligible elites.

Out of the many Maya and Highland Maya city-states and polities that rebelled against the Triple Alliance in the latter half of the fourtheenth century, it was somehow Cocomes that came to triumph over them all. The alliance of convenience borne between them did not last, and in the decades of competition that followed, and during the reign of Chuc II (r. 1531-1571) Cocomes soon held all of the peninsula and its surroundings. An aristocratic republic was instituted upon his death. At present, they are engaged in wars to retain their Irish possessions, and the Xicaque and Itza now have de facto independence.

Ayiti, based on the island of the same name and stretching from Cuba to Cairiani, had grown quite wealthy and powerful with its established naval routes and lucrative trade routes with the outside world, thus filling in the gap that was left after the collapse of the Triple Alliance. Their cities and ports dot the coast from Frisia to Gibraltar. This is a relationship of mutual exchange - the absolute monarch of Ayiti has converted to Sunni Islam and the Shafi'i school is now popular at court.

However, Ayiti is not without problems; after a Pyrrhic conquest of the Norse matriarchy of Kaelhamm, it has now found itself at war with the Muisca, with its army and navy split. Cuba itself, along with Ayiti's coastal holdings are now occupied, and Muisca fleets blockade the eastern islands as far north as Guaticabon. A humiliating peace with dramatic concessions may result.

Religions Map:

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What religion is that in the isle of man?

Monothelite.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 10, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kangxi posted:

The Muisca also are one of the largest polities on earth that is not strictly a hereditary monarchy - the leader of the confederation is selected by lot from a pool of eligible elites.

I dunno how much work it'll be to make this work, but we absolutely need to figure out a way to create a true Demarchy in this wonderful world. Get selected, and you get a personal giant ground sloth (and howdah) to take you to the council offices!

e: you all know you want to see Lasya the Immortal riding an armored Megatherium into combat in Vicky 2.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What's the state of of Australia and the South Pacific? The state of the world map showed someone is in New Zealand and a bunch of the Australian coast is taken.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Aside from the peoples of the interior of the continent who prefer isolation, there are three major states in the southeast. In the southwest, there is Atjuntja. While once geographically isolated, it has become a major trading partner with its neighbors to the north, and maintains trading posts and settlements as far afield as Rabaul and Daru.

Watjubara has survived several invasions, and remains independent. It exists in two discontinuous parts, and occupies the territory where the kingdom of Kiyungu once stood. The current monarch, Warragul II, is a cautious and defensive ruler, and he has cultivated his alliance with Atjuntja to provide a more robust defense.

Watjubara's foremost rival is the aristocratic republic of Aotearoa, where a leader is elected among those individuals who hold local authority, and not by the people directly (Noble Elite, Political Dynasties). Their elected leader serves one term of seven years each, and while they hold substantial authority, a substantial part of the government's jurisdiction is delegated to regional leadership (Presidential System, Devolution of Powers, Administrative Divisions).

Aotearoa is also a substantial naval power - they have a strong hold on trade to the west, and hold settlements as far north as Isatabu and as far east as Rapa Nui. This extreme range has brought them into contact or competition with peoples as far afield as Brunei, Malacca, Tibet, and the Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni.

The majority of these names are all from The Lands of Red and Gold, and credit is due to the author.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Interlude

In the first years of the 17th century, the nobles of the Taira shogunate had much to contemplate - their settlement of the frozen north, pirates in the south, trade routes with the Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni, the sturdiness of its rival Korea and the newfound equilibrium of the Chinese petty kingdoms.

By 1616, a new figure emerges from the mountainous interior of northern Honshu, rail-thin, clad in foreign armor, wearing orange robes. She speaks of eternity, of judgment, of the making and unmaking of the world. She is called Gyalyum, and that is all history shall know her as. As the poorest of the poor and the lowest stratum of society flock to her - as well as a few anxious nobles - she talks of the immutable evil of the shogunate and how all Japan must be restored to the mythical period of history before the imposition of its authority. Every rice tax collection is an evil scheme, every ship of colonizers is part of a plot to gather up sacrificial victims, every temple is a host of demons. Those who follow, always on the cusp of emergency, believe her and give her everything they have.

The sangha thinks they know this woman. The monastic community is by now quite old, and it has some loose fragments of history to draw upon. They know she brings not peace. For they know of all those who claim to be Maitreya, and they know that this sword is held by every restorationist society, every White Lotus society, every Ikko-Ikki movement, every sect and rebellion, and what they all aspire to accomplish - the dissolution of every establishment and every authority, for which the monasteries and churches are now a part, and bring about the end of human suffering. And the sangha knows that for every false Gyalyum, there is a host of people who return and perceive the suffering of the world.

Not long after, the false Gyalyum appears in the pearl coast of the west, on the remotest fringes of the Timurid lands. She will draw her sword and march on in a hundred different places, and she will separate the heads of kings from their necks. Another Gyalyum will put bullets in the chests of kings and wade in their blood ankle-high. The afterbirth of a world. The overthrow of established orders will become a distinguishing feature of the coming centuries, and revolution so becomes a ritual drama of history. But for now, let us blot out the future, and imagine the world as it must appear to them, with no foreknowledge of what comes. Tibet may have thought itself exempt from this history, but that is for them to discover. For history is not so staid and continuous and calm, for any second is where a new foundational figure may emerge.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Into the Gyalyum-verse?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

From the trial of 'Trusty Tariácuri':

Let me state for the record that the defendant's motor-cart dealership advertising read, and I quote: "No credit, no problem! With terms as lenient as Gyalyum's resurrection, you're already approved!"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yes, haha, YES.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
The Foundation of a Republic - Part I

History seldom provides guides to kings for new matters and an abundance of stories on small and routine affairs. We read the story of war and know little of what leads an empress to roll the iron dice of fate. Whenever we see a ruler engaged in a new and decisive action, we are likely to see them move with the desperation of a gambler, searching for patterns and signs out of nothing at all.
-Lasya Purgyal 'the Holy', The Prolegomena to the Secret History of the Purgyals

Tibet now has a republic. The time has come to vote on what it will be - and how long it might last.

It's not as if you have nothing to draw upon - the historians have found distant predecessors and ancient examples of what once was -- and some remnants and successors the empire once overran, centuries ago.

Aside from that, the stories of the great peoples on the other side of the world have fascinated the court of Tibet - the Muisca, prosperous in their distant highlands, and their prosperity and decisive military victories against much larger opponents have assured many that an arrangement like this is not only possible but desirable.

Tsering I - now just Tsering Lhagyari - is stepping back and only watching over the proceedings, writing something. You've never seen so much paper in your life aside from a library. The meeting took so long to convene because her astrologer suggested this day - a wise precaution considering the past two decades of misfortune.

Please choose one option of the following four categories.

Question 1: Power Structure
Who rules?
A: Oligarchy - power rests naturally in the hands of a few.
B: Plutocracy - the prosperous can decide.
C: Noble Elite - we must respect past lineages.

Question 2: Republican Virtues
As the great Gyalyum the Benevolent said centuries ago, what stories shall we tell of our republic?
A: Authoritarianism - the Republic itself must be strong.
B: Political Dynasties - the middle path is best.
C: Republicanism - we must avoid tyranny.

Question 3: Frequency of Elections
How long can a ruler stand power?
A: Frequent elections - no more tyrants. We cannot assume each ruler will be as benevolent as Gyalyum I.
B: Consolidation of Power - we cannot have naive and inexperienced leadership.
C: Sortition. The gods decide. After all, it seems to work for the Muisca...

Question 4: Regionalism
Well, Tibet is still very large...
A: Provincial Governments - institute local elections.
B: Administrative Divisions - maintain an appointed bureaucracy.
C: Union of States - we cannot infringe on local rights and responsibilities.

The vote will close on 9 PM EST, Saturday October 17th.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 14, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

C: Noble Elite
C: Republicanism
C: Sortition
A: Provincial Governments

megane fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 14, 2020

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

1 A: Oligarchy
2 C: Republicanism
3 C: Sortition.
4 C: Union of States.

Internal protections sound good right now. Sortition's a seemingly odd one, but anyone can say they're a Gyalyum, and it seems that there's a lot of anyones to be had. Hopefully the universe is less easily fooled than people. Same reason for oligarchy, rather than nobility or plutocracy. Get the notable people of the time in a room and let powers beyond us decide.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

1: A
2: B
3: A
4: C

Article I.
The Style of this confederacy shall be "The United States of Tibet."

Article II.
Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom and independence, and every power, jurisdiction and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.

Article III.
The said States hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other, for their common defence, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretence whatever.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

C
C
C
C

All power to the Soviets local nobility!

Tulip fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 14, 2020

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

C
B
C
B

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

1. A
2. C
3. A
4. C

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
1: A
2: B
3: C
4: A

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

C
C
B
B

Hopefully this will keep the Regency Republic well managed

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
A
C
A
A

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

1 C
2 B
3 C
4 B

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

1 C
2 B
3 C
4 B

Rody One Half