Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheRat posted:

Sweden also has 1/10th the population density which probably helps.

Isn't that more a factor of most of Sweden being mountains and/or in the Arctic?

Edit: 1220 AD, Genghis Khan comes along and does his thing. May or may not have killed more people than Covid when all this is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jabby posted:

The countries that have "sorted their poo poo out" did so with an effective initial lockdown followed by very good test, trace and isolate programs. They are maintaining their poo poo-sorted status by continuing those programs in conjunction with stringent travel restrictions. New Zealand, for example, still has practically closed borders.

Does that sound like a long-term solution to you?

Yes, if done properly and it's what's required. What's the alternative, taking it on the chin as Boris suggested?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

I thought the tories were the party of small business.

Small meaning a tiny amount of share capital and a couple of Tory-donor directors. Not the other type, good Lord no.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Edit: 1979 AD, Genghis Khan comes along and does his thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS351QKFV4

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Norn Iron have gone into a much stricter lockdown.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
For anyone interested in where the defective PPE ends up - Some of it has ended up and my place - we're MRC, and when this kicked off, we sent the local NHS hospitals some of our masks and gloves to keep them going. They have "repaid" us with the stuff that was deemed to rubbish for their work.
This is fine, I work with lab mice not highly contagious people, but this stuff is rubbish.

I just tried to put on a mask. The first two had the ear loops immediately snap. my college after me was better off, and only his first one broke. the masks themselves are very firm and hard to conform to you're face.
The latex gloves all feel thin and have that yellowish tinge of stuff that's close to or past its expiry dates.
The Nitrile gloves on the other hand feel like putting on washing up gloves.

I don't think anyone who hasn't been wearing PPE full time for years would notice the difference - but for us its easy to spot. but apparently we are getting much more back than we sent out, so we're up on the deal even with the wastage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Makes sense, if you're not as critical you can sort through the crap to get workable stuff and it's presumably less catastrophic if it breaks.

Work has been supplying me with a lot of paper masks which I have been stockpiling in case I find someone who needs them. I would prefer it if they would send me disinfectant gel instead.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

that yellowish tinge

Quite funny, that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Isn’t this page putting that data in a nice graph?

Oh apparently it is, but it'd be nice if it came up as a link to the page I used or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd be nice if the server worked, I'm getting unable to connect errors.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ooft

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1316333444654301184

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bobstar posted:

Going back to electricity chat briefly, I think you'll enjoy this Dutch weirdness. How would you hook up a 7.2kW single phase electric hob? 32A breaker and appropriately sized 3-core cable, right? Not here!

Instead you take 2 separate 16A breakers, a 5-core cable, attach your two lives and two neutrals, and away you go. But isn't this horribly dangerous, because if you lose one of the neutrals, the hob will continue to work while sending 32A down the remaining one? Nope, because the neutrals in the hob aren't commoned, it's effectively two independent hobs in one.

It took me (a fake electrician) and my colleague (a real one), a lot of puzzling to figure that last bit out. Turns out it's a perfectly normal thing over here, called a "fornuisgroep" (hob circuit), and local electricians look at your weird when you question it!

Actually wait I misunderstood your description, this doesn't require a 3ph setup like I assumed it would.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 14, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah, fair enough.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ConanThe3rd posted:

But if you close the schools, how will the children learn that the Mitochondria is the Powerhouse of the Cell?!

But, like, they can still learn that online, that's what all the countries with closed schools do/did?

e: phoneposting

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 14, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

gently caress it, if they can get out let them. I’m in favour of taking as few people down with us as possible.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Legitimate case for independence now the Tories are trying to burn the entire country to the ground, imo. I hope I will be allowed into Scotland in the event of independence as England is going to be 50/50 Dickensian hellscape / Children of Men

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I hope they do get independence. I think they should just take it and ask for forgivness rather than permission.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Scottish independence and Irish reunification within this parliament is going to be pretty exciting.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

It's not as good as the three phase system you get in Germany for ovens, but it makes far more sense than anything involving ring mains.

patented goon pedant mode activate:
domestic circuits are all 'ring finals' now and haven't been called 'ring mains' in a while since that term is used for industrial application - the most common ring main units I've had my hands on are all 11kV but go up to 36.

of course people know exactly what you mean when you say ring main, but jobsworth site managers love to lecture on the difference and apparently pedantry is infectious

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

sebzilla posted:

Scottish independence and Irish reunification within this parliament is going to be pretty exciting.

English politics should probably take seriously the likeyhood of massive constitutional change happening in the near future. But then again Brexit happens on Jan 1st and no one has bothered to come up with a plan for that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Hopefully that'll also give Wales a kick up the backside to consider whether having all of its potential and culture crushed in exchange for being England's favourite holiday park is perhaps a bit of a raw deal.

Just destroy the UK entirely, it benefits no-one but England, and this shithole country has done nothing to deserve it.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I know this isn’t politics chat, but as we are on the topic of UK wiring...

Can anyone explain to me what the gently caress happened here? Those 2 holes aren’t supposed to be there.

Had a pop and the breaker went on that circuit. Reset the breaker and tried again - louder pop, 2 big sparks from this fitting, breaker trip again. Had a sparky round to replace all the fittings and the wiring tested fine so we are ok now, but I’m just trying to figure out what actually happened.

My best guess is that the fixture shorted somehow (either wiring degraded or fixture did). That caused the first trip. On the second trip, the casing of the fitting ended up energised and arced at those two points where the holes are.

The main mystery is the liquidy-looking stuff that’s on the fixture and was on the degraded wiring. I thought it might have been water (which could have caused the problem) but it doesn’t seem to evaporate at all, and it’s a bit brown. Best guess is melted wiring insulation, or potentially melted fibreglass insulation from the ceiling void? The void insulation was packed in pretty close around the fittings.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Isn't the ball mostly in the Tories' court for that one?
They'd would get a ton of poo poo for it (not that they'd care) but couldn't they legealy sit with their thumbs up their arse in regards to giving permission to run any vote?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 14, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hopefully that'll also give Wales a kick up the backside to consider whether having all of its potential and culture crushed in exchange for being England's favourite holiday park is perhaps a bit of a raw deal.

Just destroy the UK entirely, it benefits no-one but England, and this shithole country has done nothing to deserve it.

In fairness nobody else has done anything to deserve anything nice either, with the very tentative possible exception of New Zealand after 2010 or so. People are horrible and competitive everywhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The main mystery is the liquidy-looking stuff that’s on the fixture and was on the degraded wiring. I thought it might have been water (which could have caused the problem) but it doesn’t seem to evaporate at all, and it’s a bit brown. Best guess is melted wiring insulation, or potentially melted fibreglass insulation from the ceiling void? The void insulation was packed in pretty close around the fittings.
*labels as 'assorted pyrolysis products'*

It looks like the sort of products you get when you try to burn something fireproof. Or out of exploded electrolytic capacitors, was there a lamp with a ballast in it inside?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It looks like the sort of products you get when you try to burn something fireproof. Or out of exploded electrolytic capacitors, was there a lamp with a ballast in it inside?

Or a mains LED lamp? I've had a couple of cheap ones go bang pretty spectacularly, I pay the extra for brand name ones now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bessantj posted:

I thought the tories were the party of small business.

Amazon is a small business.

According to its accountants.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Problem for Wales is it's not just a holiday park. It's a retirement village. And they vote.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Actually wait I misunderstood your description, this doesn't require a 3ph setup like I assumed it would.

Yeah it's odd, you can also hook it up to true 3 phase, or to a 32A single phase by commoning the phases, and the neutrals (note comma!)

It's fun learning a whole new country's quirks, when everything is broadly similar but not quite. Don't get me started on the sockets, which pretend to be Schuko but are actually much shallower and not earthed (but will happily accept a Schuko with its unsleeved pins, which normally rely on the socket depth for safety)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1316353529678688259?s=21

bleak lol to both of these tweets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Literally just table an amendment saying that sexual offences against children are not covered Kieth. It's not hard and the optics would be good, especially when Tory nonces vote against it.

e: extremely bleak lol
https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/1316272300614967298

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

There was a GU10 which is burnt but doesn’t look like it has exploded anything :

I think it’s likely the void insulation then, given it ended up on the outside of the housing and some of the wiring.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Convex posted:

Legitimate case for independence now the Tories are trying to burn the entire country to the ground, imo. I hope I will be allowed into Scotland in the event of independence as England is going to be 50/50 Dickensian hellscape / Children of Men

The case is the same as it was 6 years ago. The Tories were obsessed with Brexit & even in 2014 it was obviously that there'd be a referendum on the EU if the Tories got a majority in 2015. The government of 2010-2015 was awful in entirely different ways to the current mob, rather than being incompetent & venal it was just horrendously cruel.

Nice that the thread is no longer frothing at the mouth about Scottish independence somehow being a massive betrayal of the working class somehow though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Psyched for Boris Brexit leading to the recreation of Dál Riada, no need for United Ireland then

E; btw the Irish Budget yesterday included €500m for "shared island" initiatives, that's what we're calling it now apparently

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/budget-2021-500m-for-shared-island-cross-border-projects-1.4380173

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 14, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

The case is the same as it was 6 years ago. The Tories were obsessed with Brexit & even in 2014 it was obviously that there'd be a referendum on the EU if the Tories got a majority in 2015. The government of 2010-2015 was awful in entirely different ways to the current mob, rather than being incompetent & venal it was just horrendously cruel.

Nice that the thread is no longer frothing at the mouth about Scottish independence somehow being a massive betrayal of the working class somehow though.

Not really. It's only not a betrayal now because Labour betrayed the working class first.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1316350169324154882?s=19

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1316351301521944579?s=19

A big oof for me. Watch Westminster ignore this for ages and get surprised when the next referendum comes around.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Problem for Wales is it's not just a holiday park. It's a retirement village. And they vote.

Scotland will be Slovenia, Ireland Croatia, Liverpool Kosovo. Wales will be Montegro; only leaving after all the fighting is over, and only due getting fed up with being part of a country that technically has ‘and Wales’ at the end.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

radmonger posted:

Scotland will be Slovenia, Ireland Croatia, Liverpool Kosovo. Wales will be Montegro; only leaving after all the fighting is over, and only due getting fed up with being part of a country that technically has ‘and Wales’ at the end.

Do you mean "Northern ireland" because otherwise you've really lost me with this analogy

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you mean "Northern ireland" because otherwise you've really lost me with this analogy

Not perfect. But it’s the one that is going to get all the American military support and end up winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

All the tories need to do to hold the union together is not allow a 2nd ref.
Theyr stupid enough to fail at that but its pretty easy