Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

jesus i wish i could find my Strange Journey cart

it's half tempting to just get the 3DS remake but i loathe the idea of starting over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phi230 posted:

its cuz bioware is the video game equivalent of young adult fiction and everyone grew up

The story in DAO always sucked, but it was decent mechanically, and still is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

DA:I was pretty good just by nature of not inexplicably needing an always-on internet connection for single player when i was living at my in-laws with lovely internet looking for a house

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
DAI on the other hand... The less said about that, the better. That game finally erased any lingering desire to play future Bioware games.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive always hated bioware. all my friends loved kotor and i thought it was the most boring poo poo ever

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
my 2 biggest gaming regrets are playing FFX non stop till I got to play Blitzball and playing Kotor nonstop till I got the lightsaber

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phi230 posted:

its cuz bioware is the video game equivalent of young adult fiction and everyone grew up

Maybe so, but I think it's also fair to say that today's Bioware is just worse than DA:O era Bioware. Their last two big releases were Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bioware's biggest problem was using real time with pause, which is a terrible way to do combat.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Are people aware when they call Bioware terrible things that they made Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, some of the greatest games ever made

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DA:O story isn't very good and mechanically it's a mess, it's just janky WoW cooldown with bad/opaque underlying math. Of all the Bioware games it's also the most "Bioware romancey" I can think of where everyone wears their sexuality on their sleeve like it's a character trait.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Are people aware when they call Bioware terrible things that they made Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, some of the greatest games ever made

The only thing in common between that Bioware and current Bioware is the name, and that's been the case for years now.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm aware that I was unable to get very far into Baldur's Gate, one of the greatest games ever made, because of real time with pause.

Imagine how much better it would be if they didn't choose one of the stupidest gaming innovations to ever be farted up at a brainstorming session

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Of all the Bioware games it's also the most "Bioware romancey" I can think of where everyone wears their sexuality on their sleeve like it's a character trait.

It got worse in the latter Dragon Age games.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

yes a long time ago before a bunch of mergers and acquisitions and all of the original founders leaving. the bioware that made baldurs gate is not the bioware that exists today

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm aware that I was unable to get very far into Baldur's Gate, one of the greatest games ever made, because of real time with pause.

Imagine how much better it would be if they didn't choose one of the stupidest gaming innovations to ever be farted up at a brainstorming session

I didn't mind it, seemed like a reasonable approximation of playing d&d.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

posting this here because i know a lot of people in this thread play it: i'm pretty sure i've built a literally unbeatable deck in ygo: legacy of the duelist but it can take dozens of turns to win and is really boring

but it's like...i genuinely can't even think of how it would be possible to counter it

it's just (spoilered just in case someone doesn't want to see my Win In The Slowest Way Possible strat): 3x of every Timelord monster that i have. they're level 10 monsters that can be summoned without tributes if you have no other monsters on the field, they generally have 0A/0D but can't be destroyed by battle or card effects and have effects that fire off if they fight, including dealing damage to opponent's LP. during your standby phase they shuffle back into your deck so you just put another one down, rinse and repeat.

it would be one thing if they were just unable to be destroyed by battle, but since card effects can't destroy them either (and there are enough of them to stack your deck heavy enough that you can count on putting one down every turn) i just don't see any possible way to lose with that deck

even my high-powered monster cheese deck that can summon a blue-eyes or two almost every turn loses occasionally, and i could theorycraft something to counter it pretty hard. but this? it's just madness.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

my 2 biggest gaming regrets are playing FFX non stop till I got to play Blitzball and playing Kotor nonstop till I got the lightsaber

Pretty much everyone I knew in high school mainlined KOTOR until they got the lightsaber. It was so addictive, I haven’t powered through ~12 hours of a game like that since.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I envy you, it's ruined a lot of games for me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

It got worse in the latter Dragon Age games.

I know gender identity isn't the same thing as sexual orientation, but I can't help but be reminded of Mass Effect: Andromeda where they included a trans character. You know they are trans because you ask what made them decide to go on a multicentury expedition another galaxy and they respond by giving you their deadname. You have just met this character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sndUnqX04Qs

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

I know gender identity isn't the same thing as sexual orientation, but I can't help but be reminded of Mass Effect: Andromeda where they included a trans character. You know they are trans because you ask what made them decide to go on a multicentury expedition another galaxy and they respond by giving you their deadname. You have just met this character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sndUnqX04Qs

That is pretty weird lol.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Moon Monster posted:

DA:O is one of those weird games that was pretty widely (not universally) liked at the time but now a decade plus later the vast majority of people still talking about it are the ones who hate it. Or just hate modern Bioware and it by proxy.

imo dage was an all right game at the time, looked okay but the countable low-poly trees rendered in its sweeping vistas were ugly as sin.

i think morrigan was supposed to be the default waifu but she got angry at me for flirting with zevran so i hooked up with him instead lol

in retrospect it's hard to go back to. it's clunky, the rtwp is poorly implemented, the killer combos will carry you through the regular game but screw you in scripted fights that all expect a dps build, and while it has its moments, it's basically Grimdark Peasant Suffering Simulator 2009 before witcher made it popular. the second game i skipped because it sounded pretty bad, the third one i got but never played... that's when i realized i didn't dislike the series, i just wasn't interested in it anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anything that takes control of your monster/returns to hand/banishes it/adds it as material/uses it as tribute will make quick work of your monsters? Theres a couple of monsters who banish as part of their attack that bypasses your card response too, plenty of synchro/xyz/polymerization monsters that will gently caress your poo poo up, and any monster that attacks life points directly is gonna bypass your wall.

That or your opponent plays a level limit card and RIP your entire deck.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Rocket League should make Dropshot the main game mode and add more stadiums for it. It’s way more intense and interesting than the standard soccer mode.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

!Klams posted:

I 'LOVED' System Shock 2, and I'm 'super' ready to love Prey, but I can't really get into the combat. I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong, but I just got the glue gun, and the issue I'm having is that much like SS2 the ammo is spartan, which is good, I like that it's scary. But unlike SS2, the enemies just appear RIGHT in my face, out of (kinda) nowhere, so you have to fight them. Running away doesn't really seem to be an option because they don't patrol, they just stay in that place, so it just means I can't go that way anymore? And, all of that would be totally totally fine, if shooting at them / swinging the wrench at them was even a 'bit' effective. It sort of feels like if an enemy appears, it definitely will hit me once, no matter what. But, it's quite easy to 'not die', it's not actually scary that they're hard to fight, because they don't really present enough of a threat, if I'm low on health I definitely 'can' escape them and heal up, but, this is almost worse, it feels like every enemy is just a chore in health management. I feel like if I had a meaningful way to sneak past them it would be fine, OR if confronting them actually felt like a skill challenge rather than an RNG one? I suspect I just need to 'git gud', right? I do have another gun (electricity? It charges up) but it's so ineffective as to be like, a pisstake. It's hard to aim and a full charge does less damage than a wrench swing? It all just feels like I'm missing something. Which I'm sure I am. I'm dumb.

The game gives you real guns rather early in, but because the lobby is so wide you might miss them if you keep exploring danger bathrooms first. I'd suggest to keep playing the game until you've cleared out the lobby and have the pistol and shotgun before deciding if it's a yes/no game. The taser is a weak support early game (it's actually comically OP later on after upgrades), and I guess combat is rather straightforward if all you're fighting is mimics. It gets more SS2-like in regards to combat when you start fighting the bigger gribblies. The early game is mostly survival horror themed, eg don't get hit, there could be mimics ANYWHERE OH GOD. (this is revisted later on in a rather funny room). Keep playing imo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Woah, that has a huge bb vibe and looks rad as gently caress.

It's pretty good, a little janky yet but makes up for it by being funny.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This Genshin Impact game looks like utter anime garbage, I've read people say that you can avoid putting real money in and you'll still get a decent free 30 hour action RPG out it which is just funny to me. Who really needs to fill 30 hours of their life with shite just because its free shite. I dont get it.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

yeah, it's just a fully turn-based system that speeds things up by automatically hitting "next turn" for you (and I seem to remember it was switchable in at least some of the Infinity Engine games? you could make them auto-pause after every turn if you wanted to for some reason)

but some people are extremely strange about it and will storm into every thread about games, completely unprompted, to tell you that it's unplayable trash for dummies aaagggh

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It was good but I wanted it to be Yi Ar Kung Fu so badly and it was just. not. that

yi ar kung fu is also good yeah. i played it a lot as a kid

the famicom was really good for early fighting games. anything where you punch someone worked well on that console because it could produce very satisfying sounds. kung fu, yie ar, MUSCLE, urban champion, these arent all mechanically great but they at least feel very fun to play

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This Genshin Impact game looks like utter anime garbage, I've read people say that you can avoid putting real money in and you'll still get a decent free 30 hour action RPG out it which is just funny to me. Who really needs to fill 30 hours of their life with shite just because its free shite. I dont get it.

Who wants free shite? People that are into scat.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know what he's talking about because that's not an accurate description of any character. The guy must be confused.

e: Oh, he's thinking about Inquisition, not Origins. I didn't finish it but the elf is like a secret demon or some poo poo I guess.

Oh poo poo, I guess I had inquisition? I always thought it was origins, all the time I was playing it. Oops. Sorry! Again, I am very dumb.

Yeah, the elf guy. It was funny it being like "SURPRISE FUCKER! I, A TOTAL NOBODY, have been EVIL, ALL ALONG!" Just the idea of him sat in a corner of a tower on his own just absolutely STEWING for the whole duration of the campaign was too dumb.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 14, 2020

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if you use him in the campaign and play his dlc its actually quite a good revelation and he's a good character, way more interesting than the main plot of the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didn't use him and the revelation did the same thing for me. "Oh, him? I guess I should have shanked him? Whatever."

Then again I learned precisely nothing about the playable party in that game because time to order more executions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

in retrospect it's hard to go back to. it's clunky, the rtwp is poorly implemented, the killer combos will carry you through the regular game but screw you in scripted fights that all expect a dps build, and while it has its moments, it's basically Grimdark Peasant Suffering Simulator 2009 before witcher made it popular. the second game i skipped because it sounded pretty bad, the third one i got but never played... that's when i realized i didn't dislike the series, i just wasn't interested in it anymore.

It came out after The Witcher :smug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

It came out after The Witcher :smug:

Yeah but The Witcher 1 didn't popularize anything.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

if you use him in the campaign and play his dlc its actually quite a good revelation and he's a good character, way more interesting than the main plot of the game.

Yeah, I bet, but when your whole premise is "write your own legend, be whoever you want and fall in love with whoever you want" etc, it feels really weird to have the big important railroaded part of the ending not matter if you made a certain choice. And isn't it between Silas and Morrigan? Like at face value she's an infinitely more interesting character!

I personally thought that game was complete poo poo. I equipped different clothes / armour / weapons to 'any' character about 4 times, certainly my main dude got some stuff early on and then never again, yet by the end of the game, the end boss died before I really used my abilities? There was an area that I couldn't explore because the enemies were too high level, but then about an hour later I'd finished the game? It just ends so abruptly as well. I guess the part where they all sing is meant to be rousing and evocative of a final battle, but at the time it honestly felt like the comic relief, I thought it was kind of like a joke before things got super serious. But yeah, I never ever did any crafting, which felt like about 100 people must have worked for years on on various different capacities, that felt really odd. I FORCED myself to level up the horse to the weird purple stag thing, which felt utterly unnecessary, just so that I'd have interfaced with any of the insane amount of extra content that I didn't have any reason to look at otherwise. I also felt somewhat mis sold on the idea of "build your own keep", like four times mission rewards were "a bit of it looks nicer". Cool, great. Do care. So personalized.

I only finished it because it was a gift, and I'm glad I did so I never have to wonder if it got good later.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you played a battle wizard at launch the post game was holding the A button and taking a nap as you Solo'd the ultra-mega-dragon post game super boss while taking 0 damage.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I played the blood warrior, I think? Something like that. Supposedly I was spending health to do big attacks but obviously one of the main abilities was a drain health thing, so on balance you don't notice your health ever go down and you just mash everything and murder away. Just once I'd like one of these risk reward systems to actually present a risk, that isn't trivially mitigated by default. Like make it so the blood mage starts an encounter 'either' gaining life with abilities 'or' losing life to do strong abilities, with no switching mid combat. Make it so health potions don't work in damage mode. Make it actually risky.

Or like, the "all in" style assassin, that also has a cloud of smoke and a dash. No, make it so they jump high in the air, turn into a solid cube with daggers sticking out and crash land in one location, and then are just stick there for ages. Absolutely murder gently caress one thing, but leave yourself exposed. Getting screwed over for making a risky play should be normal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm Crap posted:

yeah, it's just a fully turn-based system that speeds things up by automatically hitting "next turn" for you (and I seem to remember it was switchable in at least some of the Infinity Engine games? you could make them auto-pause after every turn if you wanted to for some reason)

but some people are extremely strange about it and will storm into every thread about games, completely unprompted, to tell you that it's unplayable trash for dummies aaagggh

Baldurs Gate games can not be turned into normal D&D by clicking the "automatic pause" button. The reason that BGs system is less than ideal is because all the characters move at the same time. Yeah you can pause the action, but everyone moving at the same time make the battles a chaotic cluster gently caress. D&D is a turn based game, all of the tactically interesting stuff comes out of the turn order. When there is no turn order it really limits what you can do.

And its not like superior systems can not be done. Temple of Elemental Evil has a turn based battle system thats hugely superior to the infinity engine games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8YDSvlqKA

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 14, 2020

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think that all turn based rpgs should have a button to skip enemy animations or one that fast forwards them by like 500%

I couldn't handle how slowly everyone moved in Divinity Original Sin 2 even though I was having fun with the game

I couldn't handle it in Fallout 2 when I was 12 either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I preordered Baldur's Gate directly from Interplay and some unfortunate UPS guy delivered it to my house Christmas morning.

The game sucked.