Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I had the 'pleasure' to see Link work as well as always. I connect it, and the very first thing I have is a loud static sound on the left ear. Just like I had sometimes with the Quest 1. Disconnected, connected through VD, everything is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I really just want impressions of the quest 2 resolution vs rift S. Really don't care about the quest as a standalone HMD at all tbh. But if it was actually a really noticable resolution bump at that price it would be pretty tempting. Rift S is so comfortable though. I really have no desire to switch, but resolution is king with VR.

I don't have a Rift S but I think the path upgrade from that is much less clear. The screen refresh improvement from Rift S is less than Q1, the screen is already rgb, and I heard the comfort of the Rift S is great, so you would go from one of the best to one o the worst in that area lol. And part of the image quality you win with the resolution bump (which is around +50%) would be slightly countered by the video compression of the fact you have to stream it.

I would wait half a year and then would review my options, like the G2.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Tenacious J posted:

So if I make a new Facebook account with not-my-name, am I risking getting banned or bricked or something?

Account banned yes.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Latest version of Sidequest has added a button for the 90Hz mode, btw.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
it looks like I can sell my rift s for ~200 on ebay and upgrade to a quest 2. I have it listed now because I feel like the window will slam fast.

If I am able to sell it -- if I'm going to use this wired 99% of the time, does 64gb vs 256 matter? That is, there's no other differences in the hardware, right?

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it looks like I can sell my rift s for ~200 on ebay and upgrade to a quest 2. I have it listed now because I feel like the window will slam fast.

If I am able to sell it -- if I'm going to use this wired 99% of the time, does 64gb vs 256 matter? That is, there's no other differences in the hardware, right?

Nope, just storage capacity. The 64Gb Quest 1 was plenty for me, with all my games installed and still have about 15Gb free

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone want to play Phasmophobia with me. Like, right now? Or another time? Just looking for people to play with.

I do, in general. Maybe tonight?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

Latest version of Sidequest has added a button for the 90Hz mode, btw.

I need to download it again, my version doesn't want to update (even if the rest of the app works perfectly!)

also:

https://twitter.com/volgaksoy/status/1316243051791015936?s=19

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I get a couple hours every morning with the house to myself to play before work. Spent an hour now trying to get this poo poo to function! Steam VR is stuck on Standing By and I just see black when I go to the Oculus Link in my headset :(

The Steam VR living room thing shows for a second then it goes black and on standby

blue squares fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 14, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I am not suggesting it I don't believe that the 2 reddit posts linked itt thread aren't true, because they may very well be. But even if they are it's pretty loving meaningless tbh. Obviously sucks rear end that FB is requiring an account for Quest 2, but lol at suggesting 2 unconfirmed reports being proof of everyone's worst fears being real. If this is actually an issue it will be on full blast by tomorrow.

this poo poo again my dude?
people in this thread (me included - they wanted photos of an ID to unban it) have also shared their stories of facebook banning their accounts. there's also people who made fake accounts and didn't get banned, but the problem is that there is a non-zero chance that you do get banned and if that happens good bye purchases

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

veni veni veni posted:

I really just want impressions of the quest 2 resolution vs rift S. Really don't care about the quest as a standalone HMD at all tbh. But if it was actually a really noticable resolution bump at that price it would be pretty tempting. Rift S is so comfortable though. I really have no desire to switch, but resolution is king with VR.

With your Rift S go into a game like assetto corsa or pretty much anything that tries to mimic the real world outside and has trees and look at the top of the tree where it comes to a point against the backdrop of the sky. Notice how the edges of the tree and the top very clearly look like pixels? The quest 2’s pixels are closer together so the black area around each pixel makes the individual pixels less obvious. The higher resolution also makes them less obvious. It’s easiest to notice this stuff on “complex” looking objects like trees contrasted against something bright like the sky. The ability to read text on things like gauges and in-game screens is improved too. Things don’t look blurred. Due to the rift S having fewer pixels on the screen it does have a bit of a sharp look for things that are up close, and the quest 2 looks less sharp, but not to a blurry degree. I’d definitely say in my opinion that the quest 2’s pixel density boost is noticeable and an improvement.

Here’s my pro and con list for switching to a quest 2 from a rift s.

Pros:
Image quality is better on the Quest 2
Controllers feel more substantial on the Quest 2 (their weight is balanced better than the Rift S/Quest 1 controllers, the panel where the buttons are is larger so there’s more area for capacitive finger tracking)
The Quest 2 is less expensive than the Rift S (once quest fever dies down selling a Rift S will more than pay for a Quest 2)
The Quest 2 has the capability of being used as a standalone headset. (I didn’t think I was interested in this until I tried some quest native software)
With 3rd party software Virtual Desktop you can wirelessly stream VR games from your PC and play them on your Quest 2. It’s so much more comfortable to play roomscale games without a wire tethering you.

Cons:
The included head strap is less comfortable than the rift S.
Adjusting the included head strap is less than ideal
It can be difficult to find cables that work well for oculus link. The included cable doesn’t work and it’s too short to even consider.
Right now for most purposes being discussed here (it being a rift S replacement) the frame rate is locked at 72 while the rift S is 80. This will be rectified eventually with an update and it will run at 90 FPS when that fix is issued.
The cable I’m using for link sticks out the side of the headset and there aren’t any built-in guides to stick it in that make routing the cable along the side of the headset onto the head strap easy. It makes the cable dangle in front of my shoulder so it’s always noticeable. Right now I tuck it behind some headphones and that fixes this problem, but that’s just me, and I wish there was a better way.
The battery still drains while playing games through oculus link. I have it plugged into a usb 3.1 port which does charge it while I play, but it doesn’t charge at a high enough rate to keep it topped off at 100%. I played about 2 and a half hours of DCS world last night, starting at around 75% charge and when I was done the headset was at 30% charge. It’s unclear if the headset will actually die at 0% of its plugged in (I haven’t played with it long enough to see.)

Nearly all of my cons are headstrap related and there are options for that like the elite headstrap. The official Oculus Link cable also has a right angle end to it so that might improve the ability to route it comfortably as well.

For me the pros outweigh the cons and I’ve decided to retire the Rift S in favor of the Quest 2.

Oculus will stop making Rift S units soon (if not already) and there are always going to be people that want one over a standalone unit which does have some compromises if you’re planning on using it as primarily a PC VR setup. After existing Rift S stock dwindles the used market will be the only source of them. Right now is probably the worst time to sell your Rift S because there’s a ton of used ones out there because of people selling theirs to pay for Quest 2s and stores still have a few. Last week used units were selling for more than retail.

I would suggest waiting a few weeks once the quest 2 craze dies down and once stores have no stock of quest 2s.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something that I didn't think until now, but with the bigger ring of the controllers, some actions that require putting both hands together (reloading, etc?) can be harder to do. In fact the extra weight of the controllers is more noticeable than expected.

I'm liking the extra speed of the device, while watching Quill works. Make faster to go from one to another.

veni veni veni posted:

I am not suggesting it I don't believe that the 2 reddit posts linked itt thread aren't true
At this point I have seen around a dozen of threads with the same story, over the last 30 days.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Awww yeah.

Pre-ordered my Quest 2 a while back and it's on the way now.

Has Oculus said if we can put two quests on the same account? I've still got my quest 1 which will continue to be used by my kids.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

blue squares posted:

I get a couple hours every morning with the house to myself to play before work. Spent an hour now trying to get this poo poo to function! Steam VR is stuck on Standing By and I just see black when I go to the Oculus Link in my headset :(

The Steam VR living room thing shows for a second then it goes black and on standby

I had a similar problem. I had to update my video drivers to fix it.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just refunded Squadrons, doesn't seem worth it right now in for VR. I went to the Virtual Desktop discord and there are 6 manual steps you have to go through to start it in VR every time, the whole appeal of the quest is that I can just put it on and start playing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just refunded Squadrons, doesn't seem worth it right now in for VR. I went to the Virtual Desktop discord and there are 6 manual steps you have to go through to start it in VR every time, the whole appeal of the quest is that I can just put it on and start playing.

You go to Games tab and you click on Squadron and.... that's it?

That said Squadrons is 100% absolute trash in VR right now regardless of what you're using.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
That doesn't work for me, it starts in flat screen. These are the steps from the discord:

quote:

LOADING EPIC STORE SWS IN VRD (thanks Vippy!):
Ok. Here we go. For Star Wars: Squadrons -- At least from Origin/Epic
1 - Close out of all steam and oculus software. Might even need to end task on the OVRServer/OVRServices.
2 - Launch the game as normal. I'd recommend windowed or borderless. Not full screen.
3 - Use your preferred controller real quick to make sure the game registers it properly.
4 - connect to virtual desktop. Launch Steam VR.
5 - Go into settings and conver to VR.
6 - Confirm you are able to see it in Virtual Desktop and confirm on your controller of choice.
If controller doesn't work, I was able to get it to work by telling the controller not to interact with desktop in Virtual Desktop. After i togged that off and back on it worked as expected

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

My thoughts are if your going to be wired all the time anyway I probably would wait and check out the G2. That's a more natural upgrade path from a S. I bet you'll be able to sell the S for about the same, listing an older model on release day of the new hotness is never a high point.

Although I think you might be more interested in the wireless than you think, that changes the equation.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Has Oculus said if we can put two quests on the same account? I've still got my quest 1 which will continue to be used by my kids.

It has never been a problem with previous headsets, I can't imagine that will change now. Facebook accounts mean they're effectively mandating one account per person, and there's really no reason for them to turn down someone who wants to buy multiple headsets from them.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ephori posted:

Yeah my 72 year old non-technical father was absolutely all about Thrill of the Fight to a degree that was way unexpected and tried to buy my Quest from me. It’s interesting what grabs people who aren’t conventional ‘gamers’.

wii 2.0 its starting to sound like.

Which, if it did even 1/20th as well as the wii would be amazing for VR.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NRVNQSR posted:

It has never been a problem with previous headsets, I can't imagine that will change now. Facebook accounts mean they're effectively mandating one account per person, and there's really no reason for them to turn down someone who wants to buy multiple headsets from them.

The UI Actively allows multiple devices, so yeah it's fine. I'd imagine there's a limit so we can't have, like, a goon FB account we all share.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Great Beer posted:

I had a similar problem. I had to update my video drivers to fix it.

for me it was shutting down everything and starting it back up, about 7 times haha

Played an hour of Alyx. So loving cool. Reloading is hard

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

wii 2.0 its starting to sound like.

Which, if it did even 1/20th as well as the wii would be amazing for VR.

This is what I've been saying about the Quest from the get-go compared to PSVR; The Quest has no additional cost, is simple to set up, and offers a full VR experience to literally anyone rather than only PS4 owners. However many PS4 owners there are, there's always a shitload more people who don't own a console and will go nuts for "wee, look at me flailing my arms in this unreal world!! :lsd:". Sony really has to lift its game to be competitive in VR, especially with what'll probably be a year-long gap (at least) post-launch of PS5 that just hands sales to Oculus.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I guess I should have gotten my link cable ahead of time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't have any motion sickness, but after finishing an hour-long play session in VR, sitting at my computer to work feels kinda weird, like I'm getting used to my real body again. Anyone else?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

blue squares posted:

I don't have any motion sickness, but after finishing an hour-long play session in VR, sitting at my computer to work feels kinda weird, like I'm getting used to my real body again. Anyone else?

are you new to vr by chance? there are definitely some after effects at first, even if you dont recognize them as motion sickness. my best advice would be to not do a lot of VR until literally nothing happens after you play.

and stop *immediately* if you feel anything

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

blue squares posted:

Shed your flesh, it is but a husk, embrace the singularity engine and join ussssssssssssssssss

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Inacio posted:

this poo poo again my dude?
people in this thread (me included - they wanted photos of an ID to unban it) have also shared their stories of facebook banning their accounts. there's also people who made fake accounts and didn't get banned, but the problem is that there is a non-zero chance that you do get banned and if that happens good bye purchases

You won't get banned if you use your Facebook account like a Facebook account. That means making connections on sign-up, following people etc. Treating it like a social network and acting like a human not a bot.

Having a Facebook account absolutely shouldn't be a requirement for a VR headset. But it is, and people are aware of it up front, so they just have to weigh whether they're happy with that trade off or not.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

blue squares posted:

It's normal, I felt that the first few times. Could possibly be due to your eyes readjusting to varied focal planes (in VR your eyes converge at a fixed point of about 2 meters regardless of the scene) or just your brain being a bit confused from being teleported.

Inacio posted:

are you new to vr by chance? there are definitely some after effects at first, even if you dont recognize them as motion sickness. my best advice would be to not do a lot of VR until literally nothing happens after you play.

and stop *immediately* if you feel anything

The after effects they're talking about aren't usually harmful and popping back into VR while feeling them isn't likely to cause any issues. I'd advise against driving a car or operating heavy machinery though.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 14, 2020

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Lockback posted:

My thoughts are if your going to be wired all the time anyway I probably would wait and check out the G2. That's a more natural upgrade path from a S. I bet you'll be able to sell the S for about the same, listing an older model on release day of the new hotness is never a high point.

Although I think you might be more interested in the wireless than you think, that changes the equation.

I'm really not interested in the wireless; I barely left home BEFORE covid, and when I do go on the road to my parents I often take my full rig with me, if I am going to be there more than a couple days.

I'd sort of come to the same conclusion -- wait out the G2 and in the meantime also wait to snag a MS HOTAS setup once the prices get back closer to MSRP ($80 vs $350 on amazon at present, ha) -- and also start saving for a thurstmaster t300 setup. ALL THE VR THINGS.

The fuckerburg FB nonsense is also a big turnoff w/r/t future Oculus products. I had sort of told myself I'd upgrade to some non-FB product by the cutoff date for needing FB link to my Rift.

In the mean time, Squadorns and DiRT Rally 2.0 ($10 in current humble bundle!) are great fun even with a controller, and Project CARS 2 seems like it will be, as well. I snagged Elite: Dangerous which is $10 until end of week on steam and that looks like it will be great fun too once I figure it out. Squadrons is good; somewhere between X-Wing and an arcade game, I guess?

What I really want is a VR enabled Forza game; that seems likely to happen if MS really ships their own headset.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 14, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm really not interested in the wireless; I barely left home BEFORE covid, and when I do go on the road to my parents I often take my full rig with me, if I am going to be there more than a couple days.

The wireless isn’t about using it away from home. It’s about using it without worrying about tripping over the cable or pulling it out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone want to play Phasmophobia with me. Like, right now? Or another time? Just looking for people to play with.

I've been playing a lot. My friend code is 42493163 on Steam.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

The wireless isn’t about using it away from home. It’s about using it without worrying about tripping over the cable or pulling it out.

Also using Virtual Desktop to watch movies or play games on an IMAX sized screen on the ceiling while in bed is pretty rad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What I really want is a VR enabled Forza game; that seems likely to happen if MS really ships their own headset.

That has the potential to work really well given Forza is one of the extremely few AAA franchises that still uses fully forward rendering with MSAA

They won't have to change much to get super sharp VR rendering

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Professor Wayne posted:

I've been playing a lot. My friend code is 42493163 on Steam.

So that's three of us, I think? I can probably play tonight.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Right, I had no interest in wireless for a long time because of the game selection. But as I've started playing a couple more social games (Gambling Fix!) the idea of being able to play on my couch or w/e is really appealing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I often play Tetris Effect on my balcony in a suspended egg swing. It feels like you're floating and a gentle breeze can really enhance the trance state the game elicits. I should probably buy Rez.

Wireless VR is really, really good. I can't see myself going back to tethered.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Also using Virtual Desktop to watch movies or play games on an IMAX sized screen on the ceiling while in bed is pretty rad.

What does everyone use for movies? Is there a way I can easily stream off my plex server?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is what I've been saying about the Quest from the get-go compared to PSVR; The Quest has no additional cost, is simple to set up, and offers a full VR experience to literally anyone rather than only PS4 owners. However many PS4 owners there are, there's always a shitload more people who don't own a console and will go nuts for "wee, look at me flailing my arms in this unreal world!! :lsd:". Sony really has to lift its game to be competitive in VR, especially with what'll probably be a year-long gap (at least) post-launch of PS5 that just hands sales to Oculus.

PSVR is in desperate need of a refresh, and everyone knows it. The resolution, tracking, setup, and ancient controllers are really showing their age... and they were already showing their age when it released. I feel like the new one needs to be wireless with the ps5 and stand alone, and if not, well... i won't say its bad, because any refresh is sorely needed and welcomed, but it will be a real missed opportunity.

Sony are really the only other ones out there that have an ecosystem and portable gaming experience they can leverage, and "PSVR" being a system by itself, that also connects to your console is such a natural fit. Its going to be very, very interesting to see what happens next year. If they haven't announced anything at E3 or their playstation show thing, I'm going to start to really wonder whats going on over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

alphabettitouretti posted:

What does everyone use for movies? Is there a way I can easily stream off my plex server?

I like Virtual Desktop as I feel the interface is far better than most dedicated apps, though it requires a connection to a PC. SkyboxVR can play media on the headset and has DLNA support. No native Plex app, but you can run it in the browser, sideload the android app, use DLNA, Virtual Desktop etc.