Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Better book her on a trip on the Event Horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jabby posted:

I do wonder what Frenchie would come up with to attack someone who can explode your head by looking at you. Blinding powder? Fight her in the dark?

Because not everyone could be capable of stabbing her in the eye!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I feel like they should show the Boys taking out some lower supes. They talk up frenchie coming up with ideas to take them out but very rarely do we ever see any of that happen.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm really curious what AOCs power is? Like is it a very specific head popping ability or raw telekinesis? Cuz if it's the latter than she's definitely more skilled than both the TK supes on the show. They had to really focus and gesture while she can act like a victim while popping.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Super Aneurysm

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Becca's technique: stab her in the eye!

When that happened that comic panel from the Goon immediately popped in my head.

coathat
May 21, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I feel like they should show the Boys taking out some lower supes. They talk up frenchie coming up with ideas to take them out but very rarely do we ever see any of that happen.

The boys killing supes is what the show should have been about.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

coathat posted:

The boys killing supes is what the show should have been about.

That would've gotten boring fast.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If we’re lucky the next season will be The Boys doing a few Monster of the Week episodes, hopefully flesh out MM some more since we know the least about him, and hopefully by episode 3-4 they will find a way for Huey to rear end-backwards himself into exposing Vic and he and The Boys will take her down.

Meanwhile Homelander is going to spiral and just become a walking natural disaster, I cannot wait.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

lol yeah it was because people were saying some lady didn't get shot it was because her brain just stopped being in her head or something

https://i.imgur.com/p9t4URs.gifv

oh yeah and there was some drama about the cup and how the police got coops dna

https://i.imgur.com/8tKSwH4.gifv

Fuckin excellent, mate

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bust Rodd posted:

hopefully flesh out MM some more since we know the least about him

MAH BOOYYYYYYYY

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe we didn't get Annie bench-pressing Hughie in this season.

They promised :argh:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
She can probably juggle him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thundercracker posted:

I'm really curious what AOCs power is? Like is it a very specific head popping ability or raw telekinesis? Cuz if it's the latter than she's definitely more skilled than both the TK supes on the show. They had to really focus and gesture while she can act like a victim while popping.

She's literally super AOC and her power is making people psychotically mad over government policies that help people until their brains pop.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blaise330 posted:

I think Vic is just a hydromancer like how lamplighter was a pyromancer. Your head has alotta liquid

Or she's a telekinetic, or she can project force fields Sue Storm-style - she's just figured out a way to expand them inside people's heads.

Again, I'm just hoping she's telepathic just so Frenchie can make tinfoil hats for everyone that no one (especially Butcher) wants to wear.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DrNutt posted:

She's literally super AOC and her power is making people psychotically mad over government policies that help people until their brains pop.

Step 1: live rent free in their head.

Step 2: build a mansion.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Step 1: live rent free in their head.

Step 2: build a mansion.

Step 3: Blow mansion up to trigger head explosion.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Apparently they're doing herogasm

God I hope not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I sort of hope the boys get at least one kill next season. They haven't had an actual win since translucent

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

socialsecurity posted:

We have barely seen lower supes since like s1e1 in the club. Unlike the comic, it's been all about the seven so far.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

We have barely seen lower supes since like s1e1 in the club. Unlike the comic, it's been all about the seven so far.

I like that the show is not 'kill the parady-supe of the week' and I very much hope they never go there.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I think Gecko being shown early in the season regenerating a limb and later with an eye wound from being a Vought lab rat is foreshadowing them bringing her back by synthesizing his power somehow. His eyepatch was on his right eye and Stormfront lost her left one but it seems too convenient to be a coincidence.

I think the bigger issue for Stormfront is not how to bring her back mechanically, but how it would make narrative sense given that the character is entirely a Nazi metaphor and nothing else.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait to see the bouncing retarded ball-man supe. This Garth Ennis guy sounds like he has his poo poo together.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hi, I've come from mid-70's pages after watching the entire season.

did the thread ever settle on whether or not Stormfront is a nazi

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
She's economically anxious, op.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kf_0Fmod6E

1st of all: LOL that they make everyone wear their own character's merch

2nd of all: It's cool that the actors are left in the dark like us, I guess they haven't been given scripts yet?

3rd: Aya Cash is a cutie patootie, she looks so different outside of her Nazi gear and YouTube haircut

4th: Jensen Ackles is so unbelievably goodlooking holy poo poo.

5th: wait, uh, this more or less confirms Stormfront returning for S3? Aya is speaking here as though she's still... on the show? AWESOME!

EDIT: They are all so STINKIN' CUTEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEb-0GzX0RY

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 14, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

socialsecurity posted:

I feel like they would do some of this if they had more episodes, but with only 8 episodes a season they kind of have to focus on the main season plot. I remember when I read the plot description for the road trip episode this season, I was worried it would be a one off monster of the week plot, and that they didn't really have time to "waste" on stuff like that. Luckily it wasn't that, but yeah, they really don't have spare time with such short seasons.

They'd have to abandon larger plot arcs to do stuff like this, I think. Whether you'd rather that is more up to personal preference, I guess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

5th: wait, uh, this more or less confirms Stormfront returning for S3? Aya is speaking here as though she's still... on the show? AWESOME!

This would have been recorded during the press junket back in uhh August?

So she'd have had to pretend she was coming back, even if she knew she wasn't.

It's nonconclusive.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Y'all want to dig into the silliest poo poo when it comes to folks with super powers. Maeve arriving right on time is some movie trope poo poo sure, but they set it up with them visiting her earlier, seeing her half apathy, then seeing her obviously not cool with stormfront in her return to the tower. Clearly the supe who came to beat down the Nazi would just let her run off without following? Come on y'all. The surprise of it happening twice from a direction scene composition angle I might buy into, but the idea that she wouldn't keep tracking the Nazi until she was sure it's done, given we seem to have established Maeve is likely 2nd only to HL, doesn't seem WILD to me.

I really felt like HL was actually humanizing trying to be a dad. He finally, for the first time in his life, truly had someone he could understand and connect with over their shared childhood and powerset. He gets really weirded out by Stormfront's full on white nationalist pitch to him, and he really does I think on some level show up in the woods trying to "protect" him from actors he sees as dangerous (Butcher and his now dead wife). To have that stolen again right from under him is going to be a huge factor in pushing him closer to the edge of saying gently caress IT. It is really impressive how they have allowed their major villain to be empathized/sympathized so well. Sure he likes that SF isn't so breakable, but as he sorta starts picking up on she's kinda just as nasty and ugly as the people that raised him once he sees past the ego/dick stroking she's providing him. The scenes in the restaurant and the cabin were astounding in letting you think HL might be capable of real human connection which he desperately wants, it's just impossible for him to find a dynamic that isn't toxic or dangerous to have that in.

I also momentarily thought that Butcher was going to try and crowbar the kid, but I think it's also possible that his hateful glare and reach for the crowbar (i feel like he slowly looks up right before HL shows up and he stands up with the crowbar) could have also been him seeing HL coming and wanting to take that rage out on him knowing this entire hosed situation is still on him. I think seeing Ryan move towards him just cements for him that the kid isn't really the focus of his hate and rage, its still HL and I don't think he'll lose sight of that again. I suspect his hate for Supes at large might be lightly tempered, but his HL hate is gonna intensify big time. Butcher def is working with the CIA, that was def the cool quiet acceptance walk away trope. Butcher was right to give the kid up, he left him with a connection to his mom that ties them together (the necklace) and he knows if the kid has any chance of being what Becca wanted, he can't stay with him and The Boys. Butcher truly truly loved Becca and that is still the thing that makes him not the monster HL is, however ruthless and violent he is.

This show is super well done, across the board. I really feel like if you thought it was all neatly resolved and there are no strings to tug at for S3 I don't get how we could have watched the same show. The status quo is now eerily shaky on lots of levels, and there are all sorts of new avenues for The Boys and Vought to have interesting conflicts/mystery unwrapping.

Also just wanted to chime in that there was just a lot of satisfying poo poo going down in the last episode.
- I also enjoyed the "girls do get it done" joke
- Annie can't absorb her lightning, because its plasma not electrons i guess?
- Kimiko's best power is def her ultra durability
- The sound design on the sonic trap was awesome, my surround sound really made it jarring.
- Starr is a loving masterpiece in this show just WOW
- Kinda can't believe they put that scene in at the end, I totally missed the S1 hair, but I think it's way more fitting for his frustration at the end of S2 than it would have been in S1.
- SUP SHITBIRDS, so good.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

GoldenJoe posted:

I think most of the people were complaining about it being misleading, not inconsistent, but I can't be assed to comb through a tv show for all the details I missed, much less a thread's posts about said tv show, so whatever.

Lmao, I posted that response in the wrong thread. I was trying to be as vague as possible in another thread talking about how some writing seems forced in order to spell it out to the general tv-watching audience, and even with interaction with other people, they still miss the point. A good example is this thread, but it is by far not the only one.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This show is super well done, across the board. I really feel like if you thought it was all neatly resolved and there are no strings to tug at for S3 I don't get how we could have watched the same show. The status quo is now eerily shaky on lots of levels, and there are all sorts of new avenues for The Boys and Vought to have interesting conflicts/mystery unwrapping.

I think it is simply because the ending of the season wraps things up in a bow that seems like a happy ending for each "good guy" character. Kimiko and Frenchie are friends and go out dancing. Hughie strikes out his own career path and is happy with Starlight. Starlight is back with the 7 and is lauded as a hero, not a traitor. Butcher got some closure and has a pathway to sating his urge for revenge through official channels. MM is back with his family.

Of course, this current peace is ridiculously fragile, but things were written in a way that could close out the series, so perhaps that leaves a different lasting impression on some viewers.

Aside from Cindy, are there any other loose threads from the beginning/middle of season 2?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 14, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
seeing Karen Fukuhara talk is honestly still kind of weird

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, I'm just hoping she's telepathic just so Frenchie can make tinfoil hats for everyone that no one (especially Butcher) wants to wear.

Rest of the series should be Frenchie making weapons to use against the supes, and then never actually getting to use them.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

I feel like the first 2 seasons were just the prequel to where the comic started. Set us up to where they get the crew back together in season 3 with all the tension and backstory that the comics started with.

It'll probably be Hughie figuring out something about Vic that gets him back in the crew. MM in the comics lived at home through some of it I thought, so he could work for the CIA and still have his family. Butcher, Kimiko and Frenchie are just gonna be doing what they did before.

Long term, Vic is the coup from the inside, that's why the CIA lady was popped first. Butcher doesn't get what that meant yet (I think) and will probably figure it out. She works for Vought though i don't know what the specific end goal is besides taking the presidency eventually. i bet the headpopper lays low for a while and doesn't pop too many heads in season 3. maybe a big important one though. Maybe we see what the limits of the popping is. could she pop HL?

i would like more info on the powers of supes and stuff but sadly, I think part of the show is how hard it is to tell what works. Starlight doesn't actually seem all that strong really and I'm surprised they didn't have her powers be more effective on stormfront.

i hope we get a super team confrontation at some point next season. The 7 facing off against another team could be fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Julio Cruz posted:

seeing Karen Fukuhara talk is honestly still kind of weird

She's Glimmer! That just blows my mind, still!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

She's Glimmer! That just blows my mind, still!

And Kipo

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thundercracker posted:

That would've gotten boring fast.

Unapplicable logic puzzles like "how to kill an invulnerable man" are fun but make for boring stories. Frenchie unloading an entire arsenal in one scene was a good way to present those ideas without making the story about them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I gotta say, it was pretty disappointing to see Starlight fizzle out so much in season two when season one made her seem low-key second most powerful on the Seven next to Homelander.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DrNutt posted:

I gotta say, it was pretty disappointing to see Starlight fizzle out so much in season two when season one made her seem low-key second most powerful on the Seven next to Homelander.

I kinda feel like most of the supes, Homelander included, are only using a *fraction* of their powers because once they discover them, they seem to put the bare minimum of effort or time into refining them. That's probably by design, since Vought scoops them up, gives them a narrative, and shoves them onto a team where their job becomes flying the flag and doing, as Stormfront said, the "screaming fans and flying monkey poo poo." It makes Stormfront's showing in the finale all the more disappointing since you'd think of ALL people, she'd have the best grasp of her abilities, but no, she's evidently phoned it in for the better part of a century as well because LIGHTNING HANDS.

For instance, one thing writers for DC like to rag on Superman about is that he's a lovely fighter because he knows his strength and abilities will usually outmatch any foe. It's honestly what makes Supergirl potentially more powerful than Superman, because 1) she trained with the Amazons on Themyscira, 2) she's learned from Batman (who's rightfully scared to death of her since she doesn't have as much of a 'grounding' and attachment to Earth), and 3) supposedly Kryptonian women process yellow sun energy more efficiently than males.

Superman Prime One Million (ugh, terrible names) is Superman when he's been given infinite time to realize his potential. It's also the most interesting part of Irredeemable, when it's revealed that the powers of the Plutonian are *psionic* in nature and only limited by what he just decides he can do. People have argued Superman's powers are similar, but it's entirely dependent on the writer.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 14, 2020

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I kinda feel like most of the supes, Homelander included, are only using a *fraction* of their powers because once they discover them, they seem to put the bare minimum of effort or time into refining them. That's probably by design, since Vought scoops them up, gives them a narrative, and shoves them onto a team where their job becomes flying the flag and doing, as Stormfront said, the "screaming fans and flying monkey poo poo." It makes Stormfront's showing in the finale all the more disappointing since you'd think of ALL people, she'd have the best grasp of her abilities, but no, she's evidently phoned it in for the better part of a century as well because LIGHTNING HANDS.

Alternatively this is why Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is so great. Even the "weakest" Stand could be terrifying with enough training and imagination, and even the most powerful villains take extreme effort to hide because they aren't overconfident fools.

Everyone is a fight for their lives and act like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For instance, one thing writers for DC like to rag on Superman about is that he's a lovely fighter because he knows his strength and abilities will usually outmatch any foe. It's honestly what makes Supergirl potentially more powerful than Superman, because 1) she trained with the Amazons on Themyscira, 2) she's learned from Batman (who's rightfully scared to death of her since she doesn't have as much of a 'grounding' and attachment to Earth), and 3) supposedly Kryptonian women process yellow sun energy more efficiently than males.

Superman Prime One Million (ugh, terrible names) is Superman when he's been given infinite time to realize his potential. It's also the most interesting part of Irredeemable, when it's revealed that the powers of the Plutonian are *psionic* in nature and only limited by what he just decides he can do. People have argued Superman's powers are similar, but it's entirely dependent on the writer.

I think this is something that was well done in the show. Homelander especially, and most of them (sometimes not Black Noir) are all sloppy as hell. Throwing lasers everywhere, casually walking up while their opponent/target shoots at them etc. It's great that it's shown to backfire on them, even though they're personally invulnerable poo poo gets damaged or objectives missed. But it does raise the question of why no-one at Vought decided they should have some training. Or maybe they were trained and have chinned it off.

Like that bit where Homelander swoops in, lasers a super-terrorist and is filmed lasering straight through him into a civilian nearby. Like how could you not have avoided that just by looking around you, you idiot?