Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

thats a terrible thing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

power botton posted:

thats a terrible thing to say

he meant R Kelly

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pseudorandom name posted:

I look forward to Kelly inevitably catching COVID-19

he's already had it and it's made him more powerful than ever, he cannot be stopped

dude's like 40, he'd be fine

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no not Ward Sutton, Kelly

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he's already had it and it's made him more powerful than ever, he cannot be stopped

dude's like 40, he'd be fine

oh, hell, that’s young.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

pseudorandom name posted:

no not Ward Sutton, Kelly

yeah, in-universe this would be pretty on-point. editorial non-apology after catching it and nearly dying

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

President Beep posted:

oh, hell, that’s young.

lol at how old you are if 40 is “wow that’s young!”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
shut up!!!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lmao

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-unemployment-debt-middle-class-family-finances-11600122791

quote:

In a good year, the 43-year-old lawyer and her husband, Ian Boschen, 41, together brought in about $175,000, the couple said—enough to cover the mortgage, two car leases, student loans, credit cards and assorted costs of raising two daughters in the New York City suburbs.

After the coronavirus halted many foreclosures and closed courts, her work dried up. Unemployment benefits have helped, Ms. Hopkins said, but the family is running low on savings and can’t keep up with $9,000 in monthly debt payments including mortgage installments. “It frustrates me to not be able to earn a living,” she said. “I have a law degree, almost 20 years of practice.”

$175K is about $10K/mo net after taxes, health insurance, 401K contributions, etc

$9K a month in debt isn't affordable on $10k/mo net lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol but also from how it’s worded 175k was likely their take-home, but still 9k of debt payments on 14.5k of income is crazy

Apr 7, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

lol but also from how it’s worded 175k was likely their take-home, but still 9k of debt payments on 14.5k of income is crazy

Dunno how it's done in the UK but when people talk about income here it's almost always gross.

Apr 7, 2003

Lynn Scott-White, 47, was furloughed from her job as a corporate travel agent at the end of March. Before the pandemic, she and her husband together earned roughly $150,000, she said.
The Denton, Texas, couple pay $4,400 a month on their mortgage, four car loans and leases, and student debt, Ms. Scott-White said. Minimum required monthly credit-card payments total about $700. The debt was manageable pre-pandemic, she said.
She deferred lease payments on her Infiniti QX60 for three months and started paying again with unemployment benefits. Her husband traded in his Ford F-150 in August for a lower-cost car and reduced his original monthly payment of $820 by about $100, and his income covers the $2,100 mortgage.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The one thing every suburban dad needs is a fully tricked out f150 that they use to haul maybe 1 thing every year.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
when you have more car loans than people that drive cars, you've really screwed up somewhere

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dude is still paying seven hundo a month for his car :psyduck:

Apr 7, 2003

i'm completely blown the gently caress out that the framing of that article is that these are reasonable debt-to-income ratios during normal times and that it's just the pesky pandemic loving things up for them.

If you're making six figures and can't handle a few months of reduced income you hosed up bad

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we have a $1500 mortgage and a $250 lease and then living expenses. i was going to get another lease but given that i've driven my car approx 4 times in the last 7 months I'm not going to anymore since an old pontiac does fine for the job of "have a vehicle available for emergencies when the missus is working overnight"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah but it's only the fourth car that two people have so what can they do??

Apr 7, 2003

cars are not an asset, they are an expense, and people's brains are so hosed up on that idea that a major tell for whether or not someone can retire on time is how frequently they replace their car.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

in this case it's also partly a texas thing, they love car culture so it's a status symbol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i'm completely blown the gently caress out that the framing of that article is that these are reasonable debt-to-income ratios during normal times and that it's just the pesky pandemic loving things up for them.

If you're making six figures and can't handle a few months of reduced income you hosed up bad

i'm the $700 minimum monthly credit card payments

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that kinda stuff is nuts to me. we have no debt and total spending is about 1/4 to 1/3 of our take home.

student loans i get, but how do you feel comfortable with all the rest of that?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don’t think anyone actually feels comfortable with it, but it’s better than the alternative of the rest of your suburb tutting at your ancient car from 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol at four cars, none of which you actually own

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive got four vehicles but the total spend was $11,300 and i have a stack of four titles in my file box. also 3 of them are cheap motorcycles so its not like they take up space or anything. im old so the insurance is cheap af

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I sold my car since we only really need one for the both of us what with remote work for the foreseeable future.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so many people have bought more house than they needed or could really afford because their parents made out like bandits doing the same thing and probably spent decades telling them the right way to do it is just like mom & dad but ignoring that mom & dad had a $300 mortgage on 1500 take-home income and not a $4k payment on 6000

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

so many people have bought more house than they needed or could really afford because their parents made out like bandits doing the same thing and probably spent decades telling them the right way to do it is just like mom & dad but ignoring that mom & dad had a $300 mortgage on 1500 take-home income and not a $4k payment on 6000

I had a friend whose absentee dad kept calling him in 2009 or whenever that was to buy a house NOW DURING THE $8000 TAX CREDIT OR YOU'RE WASTING MONEY

so he bought a poo poo 600sq ft condominium that he ended up hating and took a bath on the closing costs selling again within three years. lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I had a friend whose absentee dad kept calling him in 2009 or whenever that was to buy a house NOW DURING THE $8000 TAX CREDIT OR YOU'RE WASTING MONEY

so he bought a poo poo 600sq ft condominium that he ended up hating and took a bath on the closing costs selling again within three years. lol
my first job i had a work colleague who gave me poo poo for renting an apartment because it was “throwing money away” meanwhile he lived with his parents and spent more than my rent on his bmw lease

Apr 7, 2003

Four people on my street have bought new cars since June, in the midst of an unprecedented economic collapse.

One of them has a wife and two kids and he bought a Dodge Challenger, I'm assuming because he hates his family.

We're street parking on a hill here, if you buy a nice car to live here you're out of your fuckin' mind.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

well, it is a Dodge challenger, so apparently they know about the not buying a nice car bit.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i know a family that are paying for a house, a boat, a 4 wheeler, an RV, probably a bunch of other poo poo i can't remember, and they trade in their full size truck every other year for a new one. they always complain about how poor they are and they shop at wal-mart for everything. the husband is a carpenter and is one injury away from the whole kit and caboodle going up in smoke

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the three dodge challengers in our apt parking lot were all gone the first week of april

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

the three dodge challengers in our apt parking lot were all gone the first week of april

Guy who sold me my Outback worked at a Dodge dealer beforehand and said they had specific 'image cars' they tried to sell to specific customers who came through the door, and the Challenger was not the most flattering car to be offered.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't have a car and it feels good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

i don't have a car and it feels good

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i want to get a prius or ev or something but my car is only 6 years old and has zero issues so i'm going to drive it into the ground

have another bicycle on the way though :getin:

and i want a electric motorcycle but they're silly expensive right now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

i know a family that are paying for a house, a boat, a 4 wheeler, an RV, probably a bunch of other poo poo i can't remember, and they trade in their full size truck every other year for a new one. they always complain about how poor they are and they shop at wal-mart for everything. the husband is a carpenter and is one injury away from the whole kit and caboodle going up in smoke

actually he was smart going into the trades and everyone else is a limp wristed dumbass.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
my truck is old enough to drink and I still don't plan on replacing it until it likely ends up killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the dealership where i got my gti sends me a letter on the 17th of every month like clockwork offering to buy it back for 30-80 dollars less than the month prior