Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I can't have dairy :(

e: oh, what a snipe.
For content: we had a Mr McGée in the newspaper recently, but I suspect it was a typo.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm sorry, guys! Saxon is a cool name with no inherent racist undertones unless I guess you are really mad about the 11th century or something, but of course white supremacists ruin everything.

Lady Disdain posted:

I can't have dairy :(

e: oh, what a snipe.
For content: we had a Mr McGée in the newspaper recently, but I suspect it was a typo.

I laughed way harder than any adult should have.

Now, enjoy 33 really bad names. My favorite from this list is Hayydden or maybe Little Sweetmeat, which actually scares the poo poo outta me.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Stiffany and Elizabreth
:negative:
If you’re going to mangle a common name, at least make it so the poor kid can pronounce it normally and not have an embarrassing nickname already embedded in it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Stiffany????????
:eyepop: :eyepop: ::eyepop:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Someone clearly likes the way they pronounce Stephanie in New Zealand.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Nygyl. I assume (Hope?) it was supposed to be pronounced like “Nigel”.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

Stiffany????????
:eyepop: :eyepop: ::eyepop:

Yeah I'm having a difficult time believing that one, it's just too much

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I ended up reading the comments on a youtube video and a dude commented to say he almost named his kid Trieze, after the Gundam Wing character. I'm choosing to believe it was weird poo poo posting.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Little Sweetmeat, which actually scares the poo poo outta me.

Little Sweetbread would be worse

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
mistaria
hyacinth
burgundy
alpha
erie
parthenia
jowing

these are kinda "meh" but then i came across veronhnicca and made a face at the invisible camera.

also siblings sean'drea andre'a andre'

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bucket residence, lady of the house speaking!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Bucket residence, lady of the house speaking!

IT'S PRONOUNCED "BOUQUET"!!!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

DemonDarkhorse posted:

mistaria
hyacinth
burgundy
alpha
erie
parthenia
jowing

these are kinda "meh" but then i came across veronhnicca and made a face at the invisible camera.

also siblings sean'drea andre'a andre'

Parthenia shows up a couple of times in my family tree. So does Greenberry, among others.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

IT'S PRONOUNCED "BOUQUET"!!!

Does she have sisters named Daisy and Violet? And does Violet have room for a sauna and a pony?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I never much enjoyed the show about a sociopathic woman terrorizing her environment, and I'm glad to have found out it's not particularly popular in the UK itself

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I never much enjoyed the show about a sociopathic woman terrorizing her environment, and I'm glad to have found out it's not particularly popular in the UK itself

Yeah, I hate Ellen, too.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Phlegmish posted:

Nighty Night was loving awesome, how dare you.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Phlegmish posted:

Funnily enough, she was apparently based on my ex's aunt to some extent, as the writer was a friend of the family. I met her at some christmas party once. And ... yeh she was pretty similar.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Apparently Patricia Routledge, the actress who portrayed her, was a lovely woman though.

But yeah, some things can hit too close to home. I knew a guy once whose antics and behaviour were incredibly similar to Ace Ventura, hence I didn't think the Ace Ventura character was funny in the slightest.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Apparently Patricia Routledge, the actress who portrayed her, was a lovely woman though.

But yeah, some things can hit too close to home. I knew a guy once whose antics and behaviour were incredibly similar to Ace Ventura, hence I didn't think the Ace Ventura character was funny in the slightest.

Everyone knows an Onslow. Some of us are an Onslow. All hail Onslow.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Emily Spinach posted:

Parthenia shows up a couple of times in my family tree. So does Greenberry, among others.

Lots of Americas in my family. :911:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yeah I couldn't enjoy Absolutely Fabulous. Still can't tbh.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Does she have sisters named Daisy and Violet? And does Violet have room for a sauna and a pony?

And Rose, don't forget Rose.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

"Room for a sauna" always makes me chuckle. It's not rare for like a 24m2 apartment to have a sauna.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And what kind of house doesn't even have a reindeer paddock attached, laughing ön my rear end

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I've always liked Aptonyms , especially when they pop up in the wild.

Some Swedish examples are: Sven Granath (Grenade) Criminologist and expert on explosives used by organised crime.

Annika Winsth (Profit) senior economist at a big bank.

Lisa Frost meteorologist and weather presenter.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A year or two ago there was a food scare around chicken eggs in the Low Countries, and the Dutch PR person of the poultry association was called Hennie De Haan ("Hen the Rooster").

I also had a teacher for Greek, Latin and French whose name was Frans Van Parys ("Francis of Paris", but 'Frans' also means "French" in Dutch).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fader Movitz posted:

Some Swedish examples are: Sven Granath (Grenade) Criminologist and expert on explosives used by organised crime.

I remember seeing a plaque with the Econ department graduate student of the year back in college, and the winner five years in a row was named Adam Smith. I wonder if he was really that great or if they just felt like they had to.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Neither, it was the invisible hand that decided :D

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Neither, it was the invisible hand that decided :D

I hate this, but lol.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

A year or two ago there was a food scare around chicken eggs in the Low Countries, and the Dutch PR person of the poultry association was called Hennie De Haan ("Hen the Rooster").

I love this fact so much !

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Fader Movitz posted:

There was a lecturer in economics at my university named Penelope Proffitt

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Shithouse Dave posted:

There was a lecturer in economics at my university named Penelope Proffitt

Should have been in the Theology department.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

Should have been in the Theology department.

Invisible hand of the market, invisible dude in the sky, same difference :shrug:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's a guy in my uni lecture called Sweetyben.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Someone told me once she never existed.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Dudes first name is Rapier

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Friends coworker named his kid Ronin Ash Ketchum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

Friends coworker named his kid Ronin Ash Ketchum.
That's disgraceful. He never even got the chance to be Samurai Ash Ketchum.