Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jay Niles should be SAS canon.

I've always felt like Willoughby doing naked throwing exercises in his room chanting "STRIKE THREE" is more incisive than people would think when it comes to pitchers.

I should watch that movie again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Squall posted:

Nah, a win is a win, especially in a postseason series. Bonkers that we almost let it slip away, but the important part is that we escaped with the win and just need to win 2 of the next 5 to advance.

Yeah, true. Games 3-5 have our worst chances so winning everything else so far is a great step for sure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Rays/Braves is not the matchup I expected but I’ll take it.

Go Rays imo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Altuve has single handedly given this series away which is kind of funny

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Rays-Braves is ideal because I can ignore the WS and be happy for either winner

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nah, Rays all the way IMO

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I still can't get over that he's Huston Street's younger brother.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves should in no way be counted in or the Dodgers out at this point—given the pitching staffs from here on out, Braves 2-0 is basically a coin flip for the series; Dodgers in 6 is way more likely than Braves in 4 for sure—but I will note that the only way Atlanta has ever done well in the latter stages of the postseason is by playing franchises even more cursed than themselves (thanks Cleveland!), and I definitely don't think the Rays qualify.

edit: still when you're up against a team that, short season and all, was on a 2001 Mariners pace, I think you take the lead and sit as pretty as you can while your shittier pitchers get shelled

elentar fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 14, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

Nah, Rays all the way IMO

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not a Dodgers fan but boy I'm satisfied I bailed before that 9th and didn't watch through the tease.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If you haven't been watching the NLCS, you're missing the story of Ozzie Albies and Mark Melancon.

https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/1316205417341517826

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros used up all their luck against the A's. 31 LOB in 3 games is pretty dire

Weird stat: through three games, the Rays have scored in five innings and they're up 3-0

e; granted, the Astros have scored 5 runs total so that's not that crazy

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 14, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

The Astros used up all their luck against the A's. 31 LOB in 3 games is pretty dire

I’m ok with it tbh just because it knocked the A’s out. Let me enjoy this one last gasp of AL West relevance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It’s too bad Altuve got his big contract extension before we all found out he was a cheater and he got the yips.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m ok with it tbh just because it knocked the A’s out. Let me enjoy this one last gasp of AL West relevance.

I'm ok with it too. The Astros already overachieved just getting here

e: edited out confrontational stuff

No need to bother

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 14, 2020

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

is it "the yips" if you're bad because you're not allowed to cheat anymore?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
bregman's striking out on a mid-70s breaking ball up in the zone was very nearly as satisfying as watching altuve repeatedly fail at basic baseball fundamentals

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

this would not, in fact, be cool.

No I checked and upon further review it would actually rule pretty hard

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
No it wouldn’t

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

chamois posted:

is it "the yips" if you're bad because you're not allowed to cheat anymore?
I don’t think the trash cans helped him throw to second base

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Try telling that to tom emanski and his back to back to back AAU national titles

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

bawfuls posted:

my bad, didn't watch the game. oops.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Try telling that to tom emanski and his back to back to back AAU national titles

:golfclap:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
N: Ben Sasse and Ted Cruz are arguing about the Astros

V: :negative:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ted Cruz firmly on the side of the "lean into the villainy" Astro fan strategy. A predictable and yet tragic turn of events.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

STAC Goat posted:

Ted Cruz firmly on the side of the "lean into the villainy" Astro fan strategy. A predictable and yet tragic turn of events.

I can't believe my life long fandom, the Houston Astros, would have a heel turn like this.

I'm glad the Braves or Rays will have the shot at killing the Dodgers so I don't have to actively root for Houston lol

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

mcmagic posted:

It’s too bad Altuve got his big contract extension before we all found out he was a cheater and he got the yips.

To be fair, the ones who gave him the extension were well aware of the cheating

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Camargo at 3B, Riley/Pache/Acuña OF; they're actually correctly sitting Markakis even after a decent game. Not sure Camargo is much better at the plate right now but defensively it's probably an improvement.

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.
It's looking like the Eastern divisions are as strong as the Central divisions are weak. Has any Eastern division team yet lost a game to a non-eastern opponent?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
the LDSs were all intradivision and the only non-central team to get knocked out in the WCS was the Jays by the Rays so

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1316418249316335616

:lol::lol::lol: Jerry is actually going to hire this loving boob because they're friends even though he's a poo poo manager who's been out of the gig for a decade. They kicked out Renteria for this.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bryse Wilson announced as Game 4 starter, leaving Ynoa (who you might need for Game 5), Greene, Smith and if absolutely necessary Melancon from the pen tonight. If the Dodgers can chase Wright and make Atlanta waste a few of those guys they are in great position to win two or three in a row given what will remain available.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is a path still for the Dodger to win this series but now their margin for error is basically zero. Offense has to be consistent to keep pressure on the few weaknesses in the Atlanta pitching staff, and the pitching has to be good all around.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The best thing about the Tomlin disaster last night was it meant he couldn’t start Game 4 and probably won’t appear again unless the Braves are already so far behind it no longer matters.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Inevitable: https://twitter.com/kengurnick/status/1316465464600477696?s=21

Braves should just start Charlie Culberson and let him go 9

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just imagining Dave Roberts injecting pain killers into Kershaws spine.

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
Maybe Rios can hit one far enough that it counts as two home runs.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The Braves won't win tomorrow but if they can scratch one out tonight and go into friday up 3-1 i wonder if they'll send fried out

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/NBCSWhiteSox/status/1316394264868392960?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The pre game minidoc on Freddie made me cry. One of the first prospects I was ever aware of and looking forward to, and a decade later, through everything, he's leading the team in the NLCS.

I really like baseball a lot.