Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you still have leftovers 11 months after thanksgiving? how big a meal did you cook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

fart simpson posted:

you still have leftovers 11 months after thanksgiving? how big a meal did you cook?

I believe Thanksgiving is October 12 where Subjunctive is, and they may have celebrated over the weekend.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

canadian thanksgiving isn’t real

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'll probably wait a month or two for reviews and feedback to trickle in about the Anova oven. Don't really want to buy a launch appliance without knowing if there are any QA issues.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Yond Cassius posted:

I believe Thanksgiving is October 12 where Subjunctive is, and they may have celebrated over the weekend.

the fuuuuck???

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Any good deals on the prime day sale?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

the fuuuuck???

Canada.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any good deals on the prime day sale?

just came to post this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80116-007DS-Induction-Ready-NSF-Certified/dp/B00JAP44MQ

Tramontina Tri-Ply 12" stainless fry pan, made in Brazil, $40 (though I just realized the usual price is $53 not the $90 they're listing)

I'm still trawling through. several Victorinox, but all boning knives so far

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 13, 2020

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Treated myself to this 12" carving knife as I'm tired of trying to slice roasts with my chef's knife and the serrations on my longass bread knife aren't great for it.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

the fuuuuck???

every year someone mentions it's Canadian Thanksgiving and I think "wait what the gently caress? October?" and then I promptly forget and get surprised again 12 months later

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When is Canadian Christmas?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I love Thanksgiving so much that I am going to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving too from now on. Its my favorite holiday hands down. Eat a bunch of food, drink a ton, and go comatose while watching football. Now that I think about it, thats how I want to die...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When is Canadian Christmas?

It was August 24, 1814.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

I love Thanksgiving so much that I am going to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving too from now on. Its my favorite holiday hands down. Eat a bunch of food, drink a ton, and go comatose while watching football. Now that I think about it, thats how I want to die...

:hellyeah:

Amen

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Ethereal posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on a standard oven + toaster oven vs a double oven? Does anyone not have a microwave and ever miss it?

I'm not in the market for an Anova oven but I just moved into an apartment with a nice Miele electric convection oven, and good lord is it amazing. I'll trade small size for accuracy, dry heat, convection any day.

I haven't had a microwave in a decade plus at least. If you think you can live without a microwave, you can live without a microwave. I think the only thing I'm still occasionally annoyed about is not being able to soften butter? But that's also annoying in a microwave, so, maybe nothing...

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I went years without a microwave until my partner made an ultimatum that they wouldn't come over until I bought one

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

I probably still use my microwave just enough to not get rid of it/replace it with a toaster oven. Like boiling only a cup of water or reheating garbage fast food in a minute or two. I do use my oven a lot more though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
(Slams doors open and cups hands around mouth)

VITAMIXES ARE $260

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...XkofEUgko8_6YoU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
hot drat

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Scythe posted:

I haven't had a microwave in a decade plus at least. If you think you can live without a microwave, you can live without a microwave. I think the only thing I'm still occasionally annoyed about is not being able to soften butter? But that's also annoying in a microwave, so, maybe nothing...

agreed. I like having the countertop real estate more than I like being able to nuke food.

reheating noodly things is mildly challenging, but that's really it

edit: but I know some people use them a lot. nothin' wrong with that, either

double edit: one time, apropos of nothing, a guy walked up to me while I was selling at a Sunday market and told me he had a theory that microwaves mutate the DNA of food. his specific example was hotdog DNA. hotdog DNA. the hotdog genome. he did not buy any pottery.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 14, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I didn't have a microwave for years and as soon as I had one again I knew I had inflicted completely unnecessary pain on myself for my own hubris. gently caress not having a microwave.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Especially a pana that can actually do low yield blasts. Softening butter in one of those is not a pain. It's just such a handy tool for thawing stock and such too or just being lazy with leftovers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It seems like a weird cheap and versatile tool to deny yourself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My microwave broke recently and I've been ok reheating everything in the toaster oven because I'm too lazy to replace it. If you have a freezer and you use it you should really have a microwave though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

1 minute scrambled egg in the microwave for a hungry baby is a godsend, too.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In some areas landlords can evict you for microwaving eggs. At least, there ought to be.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

not gonna lie I did the microwaved poached egg in college a lot

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are the 80 dollar thermoworks readers significantly better than the 20 dollar thermopro readers? The descriptions provided by the companies make them sound similar.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

It seems like a weird cheap and versatile tool to deny yourself.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Especially a pana that can actually do low yield blasts. Softening butter in one of those is not a pain. It's just such a handy tool for thawing stock and such too or just being lazy with leftovers.

It's these, really. If you take away the undeserved stigma that microwaves developed of "a cheap device to heat cheap frozen dinner that real cooks would never use", it's just an incredibly versatile kitchen tool. Softening butter becomes a 20 second effort. Reheating rice doesn't require a separate pan and a few minutes. You can rapid-thaw a loaf of bread of cut of meat. You can cook perfectly decent salmon and steamed vegetables. If you look at the raw amount of effort/time saved & overall versatility vs. other kitchen implements, microwaves are a top-tier appliance. Very rarely is something so useful you don't even really realize how useful it is just because you use it so much you're basically desensitized to it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bamhand posted:

Are the 80 dollar thermoworks readers significantly better than the 20 dollar thermopro readers? The descriptions provided by the companies make them sound similar.
What's a "reader"?

If you're asking if a Thermapen is 4x better than a kitchen thermometer that cost 1/4 as much, if you're a home cook then that'll depend on how dear ~US$80 is to you. Before I got one I owned a number of random kitchen thermometers, but if I had to start from scratch again I'd definitely pick up another Thermapen if I could afford it. Just because it's one of those things where once you get one, it's one of those "well, that's that problem solved" kind of things.

And as a note, the Mk4 is currently on sale for US$75 (instead of the usual US$99).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Waterproof-Thermometer-Ambidextrous-Thermocouple/dp/B07R18W3W1?ref_=ast_sto_dp

3 second read time and +- 1 degree of accuracy for 30 bucks. What makes the MK4 better (if anything)?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bamhand posted:

So something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Waterproof-Thermometer-Ambidextrous-Thermocouple/dp/B07R18W3W1?ref_=ast_sto_dp

3 second read time and +- 1 degree of accuracy for 30 bucks. What makes the MK4 better (if anything)?

Because those never take 3 seconds to read accurately, they’re more like 6 seconds

Which might be fine for most people!

If you want a good cheap reader, May I suggest the Thermopop

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Interesting. The first reviewer I found that compared the two said it did take 3 seconds but read a degree hotter than her MK4.

Did some more digging, and found one that said Thermoworks takes longer and a couple that said it took 3 seconds. Is the read time the main difference? We cook some meat that needs temperature taken maybe twice a month so I don't think an extra 2 seconds would bother us very much. Can definitely see that getting annoying if you use it daily though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bamhand posted:

So something like this:

I've never used that specific thermometer, but my concern with any inexpensive measuring device is how long is it going to stay in calibration (if it in fact ships calibrated). Not saying that the ThermoPro won't, just that I know a Thermapen will. The reason why I owned a bunch of different kitchen thermometers over the years is because they'd all go out of calibration or just break outright after a couple years, which is not an experience I've had with ThermoWorks products.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’ll never not buy thermoworks because literally every single other thermometer I have ever had has malfunctioned earlier than any thermoworks product I own, down to the probes.

E: I say get whatever Thermoworks you can find that meets your price criteria.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

bamhand posted:

As someone who got the cheaper clone, I'd imagine the Thermoworks one would have a better build quality since my thermometer's plastic hinge eventually broke from constant use.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you want a cheaper thermoworks one the thermopop mentioned is good. Although the one I had got some moisture into it and stopped working 3-4 years of heavy daily use.
I replaced it with a thermoworks dot because for what I was using it for a wired prob was more suited for my needs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv, I have some $12 "instant-read" one and I've been happy with it for years. It might take two whole seconds longer to reach a final temp, but I don't care since I'm just temping one thing and not a restaurant's worth (which is where it really makes a difference imo).

I do also have a thermoworks ChefAlarm probe. It's very nice but overkill. I originally had an Ikea probe, and I would've stuck with that except I wanted one that could handle a negative alarm too.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've used a thermapen knockoff for about a year before the body started to have issues, specifically the button the probe pushed on to turn it off when closed. It read temps fast and accurate enough until it didn't. I got a thermopop and a dot and I've been very happy with the for about 2 years now. I use one of them at least weekly, if not more. It's just so easy to spot check with a good thermometer if it reads fast enough for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

(Slams doors open and cups hands around mouth)

VITAMIXES ARE $260

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...XkofEUgko8_6YoU

oof those must have gone fast, i would have liked one