Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife has the iPhone 8 and I have the new SE.

She really likes the portrait mode on my phone and has no use for anything special otherwise. She likes the form factor of the current 8 and I dunno if she would like Face ID or not-she’s always used Touch ID. She doesn’t game and just uses her phone for Facebook and IM’s and phone calls, besides taking pictures of our kid.

So-out of all the phones, what would you recommend? It needs to at least have portrait mode (though I notice it’s a bit slow on my SE-maybe on another phone it’s quicker?). My one complaint about the SE is battery life, so maybe something with a better battery as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this only for the 12? I don’t see any mention of the 12 Pro.

Trade in offers are the same for the 12 and 12 Pro.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What things should I consider if I’m thinking about switching from ATT to Verizon? I live and work in DC so coverage should be comparable. I know GSM/CDMA iPhones used to be different and Verizon models used to always be unlocked—is that still the case? I’d probably do a 24 month payment plan with both. I have a great FAN discount with ATT but I think I qualify for a Verizon discount through my employer and could probably get a bundle discount with my internet-only FIOS.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

What things should I consider if I’m thinking about switching from ATT to Verizon? I live and work in DC so coverage should be comparable. I know GSM/CDMA iPhones used to be different and Verizon models used to always be unlocked—is that still the case? I’d probably do a 24 month payment plan with both. I have a great FAN discount with ATT but I think I qualify for a Verizon discount through my employer and could probably get a bundle discount with my internet-only FIOS.

Yup they are unlocked on Verizon. And yes coverage is great in DC

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I am torn between the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro, because I’m going 256 gigs. I think the mental block of over a $1,000 is going to keep me on the non pro, espically because I need to now buy MagSafe and the leather cases when they do come out in November.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unless I’m missing something, couldn’t I just get the SIM-free version and do monthly payments through Apple instead of being locked to a carrier?

Edit: That seems to be the installment plan via Apple Card. Looks like I may as well just buy the phone outright with my Amex so I get a year extended warranty.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 14, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
How quickly do reviews for new phones come out?

I'm on the upgrade plan, and am a few months over the 12 month period, so if i'm going to upgrade I don't want to wait too much longer. Am considering just going with the 12 Pro, but am intrigued by the better camera in the Pro max, but am unsure if it's going to be too big.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 14, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

frogbs posted:

How quickly do reviews for new phones come out?

I'm on the upgrade plan, and am a few months over the 12 month period, so if i'm going to upgrade I don't want to wait too much longer. Am considering just going with the 12 Pro, but am intrigued by the better camera in the Pro max, but am unsure if it's going to be too big.

the ones that are like "wow! another great iphone! 10/10" come out on release day but if you want one with some thought put into it those usually take a few days to a couple of weeks. keep an eye on ars technica and anandtech for the good poo poo

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Spectral Debt posted:

I was excited about the new phone but realized my 5yr old 6s still does everything I need (txt, calls, SA) so the initial hype faded pretty quickly.

Question, is there way to refresh the phone in short of a hard factory reset. I just want to give this phone a nice wash.

I wish mine did, honestly the 6S Plus has been the longest running phone I've had since before the original iPhone launch.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Weedle posted:

the ones that are like "wow! another great iphone! 10/10" come out on release day but if you want one with some thought put into it those usually take a few days to a couple of weeks. keep an eye on ars technica and anandtech for the good poo poo

As with all electronic reviewers, the ones that get exclusive review models know that their access will stop if they slag them off, so they mysteriously never give anything less than 7/10 anyway unless it blows up.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

ijyt posted:

Guys I understand cost saving (for planet, producer, and consumer) in budget phones, where you can bank on people having some sort of charger.

When you’re doing it with a £999 (jfc lol) phone it just looks like a trillion dollar company trying to nickel and dime you.

When it does it with a £40 charger it heavily featured and touted, and it doesn’t come with a power brick, thats just dumb.

Unless you’re some weird fanboy or buying a phone every year instead of the 3-5 years most normal people follow, its just a way to increase margins with the cover of being green.

nickel and diming you for a better margin is literally apple's raison d'etre. the phones themselves are just a means to that end.

unless they actually find a way to make good on their cradle-to-grave net-zero by 2030 promise (unlikely but commendable) any sustainability actions are always going to be greenwashing to one degree or another. that doesn't change the fact that reducing production by up to 200 million units (~5000+ metric tons of raw material, some multiple of that in CO2e emissions per year) of an often-discarded and largely redundant item is a good move. the most sustainable product will always be the one you don't make and absent the dismantling of capitalism itself it's good to have a high-profile example of just cutting production.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here's some info on ATT's current trade-in deal for an iPhone 11 (from ATT website), which may or may not be similar to their trade-in deal for the 12:

quote:

UP TO $800 OFF APPLE SMARTPHONES

Get up to $800 off an eligible smartphone when you add a new line or upgrade an existing line.

Limited time offer. Available in select locations.

You'll need to:
- Purchase an eligible smartphone on a qualifying installment agreement, including taxes on full retail price (up front) and $30 activation/upgrade fee.
- Add a new line of service or upgrade an existing line.
- Activate postpaid unlimited wireless service (min. $75/mo. for new unlimited customers before discounts). AT&T may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy.
- Trade-in an eligible Smartphone in good working condition with a minimum trade-in value of $95 for $800 credit ($35 for $350 credit) within 30 days of activation
Then you'll get:

Up to $800 in bill credits with smartphone trade-in value of $95 or higher (Up to $350 with trade-in value of $35 to $94) applied in equal amounts over 30 monthly installments

So, it sounds like if the normal trade-in value is at least $95, you get the full $800 bill credits over 30 months. This probably much means an 8ish or newer. If that's a valid assumption, then it's great deal, also if it's similar to their deal for the 12. That seems pretty wild to give $800 for an 8.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone dumped metadata about the phones from iOS I guess? So the Pro phones are gonna have 6GB whereas the non-Pro ones will still feature 4GB. If you were having multitasking issues on the previous models, it's not gonna get better on the cheaper new ones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does the 12 mini lack anything the 12 has? The stuff I've pulled up isn't entirely clear about stuff like the night shot on both cameras.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
A headup for anyone whos thinking about buying a USB-C charger or cable.

Make sure it has the latest USB Power Delivery/PD 3.0 protocol. And try and get one with gallium nitride/GaN based adapter with GaN material for their power ic for highest efficiency, smallest size and less heat. You can get a really tiny 5W iphone square sized adapter for 30W charging nowadays
https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Charging-Delivery-Foldable-Adapter%EF%BC%8CCompatible/dp/B07T7M2799/

And since this is the iphone thread the usb-c to lightning cable should be fairly similar as long as you get one with good name brand.

But if you are buying the USB-C to USB-C cable, try and get a usb-c based thunderbolt 3 cable instead for best charging and file transfer performance
https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-Thunderbolt-Type-C-Cable-Charging/dp/B07HBDTP4C/

Due to the fact there are a million types of lovely USB-C cables, you should try to skip the cheap ones and get that instead. And it's only 20 bucks!

I was just testing them yesterday with an external USB drive. The thunderbolt 3 cable can do 100W charging on mbp and transfer data at 1100MB/s, which was the maximum speed of the external drive I was testing with, without any problems.

Then I tested the lovely USB 2.0 40~60W USB-C cables and the data transfer was cut down to 40MB/s and eventually the drive just disappeared from windows and errored out.
I also tested some other longer 10ft 60W usb-c charging cable I had laying around and got the same slow speed and drive disappearing behavior. Even though it can charge the laptop just fine.

In conclusion, get the best cable you can so you dont end up with a bunch of cheap usb-c cables where you have to think and check its capability before using them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting that the AT&T deal requires an unlimited plan.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Planning on making the jump from iPhone 7 to iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max since I'm sick of the cramped 32GB storage on this phone, how much of an improvement will I see in performance? How will 5G and Wi-Fi compare to 4G LTE and Wi-Fi use between the two models? I guess I'm sort of a power user since I hate seeing chug and lag when trying to scroll through a list of 800+ songs on Soundcloud etc.

I'm living abroad, so I don't have to deal with locked carriers etc like back in America. Still, will there be any problems switching to an American SIM card whenever I visit or move back to America? I want to ensure that the phone will work internationally regardless.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 14, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

Interesting that the AT&T deal requires an unlimited plan.

Not really from their standpoint. If you want this shiny $800 credit for your shiny new phone, you have to agree to 30 months of service on our more expensive unlimited plan where you'll end up paying us back that $800 and more.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Planning on making the jump from iPhone 7 to iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max since I'm sick of the cramped 32GB storage on this phone, how much of an improvement will I see in performance?

huge

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How will 5G and Wi-Fi compare to 4G LTE and Wi-Fi use between the two models?

hard to say without knowing where you are, but as a general rule very very few people live in an area where 5g is useful or even usable

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does the 12 mini lack anything the 12 has? The stuff I've pulled up isn't entirely clear about stuff like the night shot on both cameras.

Both the 12 and 12 mini should be the same phone other than the size and battery implication (cause you know, smaller size = less battery but also smaller display = less energy so who knows). There might be a chance that the 12 mini has less RAM but we don't know and if the post above about the leaks are correct both should have the same RAM.

Going from the 12 [mini] to the 12 Pro gets you a few extra benefits like the 3rd lens (telephoto, but I think the other 2 lenses are the same), LIDAR, better video recording, etc. The 12 Pro Max is the same as the 12 Pro except that the bigger size allows for a bigger/better sensor for one of the lenses.

e: About "night shot," all models have "night mode" for normal photos. The Pro models also have night mode for the portrait mode photos. The non-pro models don't get this because they don't have the LIDAR sensor that's needed.

coke posted:

A headup for anyone whos thinking about buying a USB-C charger or cable.

Make sure it has the latest USB Power Delivery/PD 3.0 protocol. And try and get one with gallium nitride/GaN based adapter with GaN material for their power ic for highest efficiency, smallest size and less heat. You can get a really tiny 5W iphone square sized adapter for 30W charging nowadays
https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Charging-Delivery-Foldable-Adapter%EF%BC%8CCompatible/dp/B07T7M2799/

And since this is the iphone thread the usb-c to lightning cable should be fairly similar as long as you get one with good name brand.

But if you are buying the USB-C to USB-C cable, try and get a usb-c based thunderbolt 3 cable instead for best charging and file transfer performance
https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-Thunderbolt-Type-C-Cable-Charging/dp/B07HBDTP4C/

Due to the fact there are a million types of lovely USB-C cables, you should try to skip the cheap ones and get that instead. And it's only 20 bucks!

I was just testing them yesterday with an external USB drive. The thunderbolt 3 cable can do 100W charging on mbp and transfer data at 1100MB/s, which was the maximum speed of the external drive I was testing with, without any problems.

Then I tested the lovely USB 2.0 40~60W USB-C cables and the data transfer was cut down to 40MB/s and eventually the drive just disappeared from windows and errored out.
I also tested some other longer 10ft 60W usb-c charging cable I had laying around and got the same slow speed and drive disappearing behavior. Even though it can charge the laptop just fine.

In conclusion, get the best cable you can so you dont end up with a bunch of cheap usb-c cables where you have to think and check its capability before using them.

If you're gonna buy a USB-C brick today is a good day to buy it. It's the last day of Amazon's Prime Day sales and while buying electronics from Amazon is questionable, manufacturers like Aukey and Anker sell their stock directly via Amazon so I'm pretty sure you're going to be getting a legit device and not a knock-off that's going to explode.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 14, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Weedle posted:

hard to say without knowing where you are, but as a general rule very very few people live in an area where 5g is useful or even usable

Beijing, it apparently has "full 5G coverage." Not sure how that differs from the standard.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20200910/5g/beijing-becomes-second-chinese-city-reach-full-5g-coverage

Even then, how does the automatic 5G switching work that Apple touted in the presentation? Is it based on battery usage or data consumption? And if you travel to say a rural area or somewhere more remote without 5G towers does your coverage just drop down to 4G LTE?

I plan on going whole hog with storage for downloading apps in English and Chinese, dictionary packs etc and Pro for the better camera. The only thing I'm not sure about is choosing between Pro and Pro Max since I'm so used to the standard iPhone physical size and generally dislike the massive Huawei/Xiaomi phones my friends have since they feel too bulky to use comfortably in one hand.

On that note, would my Wechat app stuff be screwed visiting America? It's super essential to life and business here in China and a lot more centralized than with Facebook/Instagram/LinkedIn/Apple Pay in America.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 14, 2020

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
supposedly based on data consumption. I'm guessing you'll be able to manually turn off 5g data (leaving other cell data on) in a menu, as well, but who knows

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can anyone get ATT's coverage map to work? I pull it up in different browsers (Chrome/Safari/Edge) and I can look my address up just fine, but it doesn't actually overlay the coverage colors onto the map at all. Even if I zoom out it shows nothing but a regular-rear end map.

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Krispy Wafer posted:

According to comparing the 2 on Apple’s site, they’re the same.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?device1=iphone12mini&device2=iphone12

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Beijing, it apparently has "full 5G coverage." Not sure how that differs from the standard.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20200910/5g/beijing-becomes-second-chinese-city-reach-full-5g-coverage

oh nice well china is way ahead of just about everyone else on 5g deployment but it's still hard to predict how it's going to be in your specific area. like "full 5g coverage" doesn't necessarily mean you're going to notice an improvement over 4g speeds. i would talk to your neighbors and coworkers and see if any of them use 5g phones and can give you a real assessment of how good it is. my guess in general though is that you have a way better chance than most of the world to take advantage of 5g's benefits. china is getting serious about this in a way that the west generally is not

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you're gonna buy a USB-C brick today is a good day to buy it. It's the last day of Amazon's Prime Day sales and while buying electronics from Amazon is questionable, manufacturers like Aukey and Anker sell their stock directly via Amazon so I'm pretty sure you're going to be getting a legit device and not a knock-off that's going to explode.
I know that back in the day, the 5W Apple charger was higher quality than other brands. With the 20W Apple charger now only $20, is something like these from Anker still a better choice?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0828WB2VR/
https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-AK-A2017111-27W-PD-Port/dp/B07DFQTW2C/

This 65W ZMI is Wirecutter's pick:
https://www.amazon.com/ZMI-zPower-Turbo-Power-Adapter/dp/B07D64QLQ1/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 14, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i had an older anker powerport that i bought in like 2017 or something and returned because it was just a little bit funky. my phone did not scroll as smoothly when it was plugged in, like it was experiencing the briefest of phantom touches that would gently caress up the momentum. stopped as soon as i unplugged it. i don't know why this happened but it was only when it was plugged into that charger specifically

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Duckman2008 posted:

Does the cable come with a c to a adapter ? The rumors said it would have an adapter , but I haven’t seen anything on it (if no adapter then that’s a bummer).

Apple releasing a C to A adapter would be the biggest tech news of the year, easily. Intel's said there won't be any, ever, and Apple telling Intel to go gently caress themselves with a risk THAT big would be incredible.

But no you just get to buy an older cable if you want that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, a usb-a male to usb-c female adapter is apparently against spec, but you can get them. I have one from monoprice that I use with the apple usb-c headphone dac

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I know that back in the day, the 5W Apple charger was higher quality than other brands. With the 20W Apple charger now only $20, is something like these from Anker still a better choice?

Aukey is poorer man's Anker and I'm usually very happy with their stuff

This one is on sale for Prime Day, is GaN so small, 2 ports, and 60W. I've been using it for all my usbc stuff
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8M7T5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_N20HFbTJTYA20

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

According to comparing the 2 on Apple’s site, they’re the same.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?device1=iphone12mini&device2=iphone12

Thanks. Itty bitty iPhone here I come. Hopefully the trade in on an iPhone X is decent.

Weedle posted:

i had an older anker powerport that i bought in like 2017 or something and returned because it was just a little bit funky. my phone did not scroll as smoothly when it was plugged in, like it was experiencing the briefest of phantom touches that would gently caress up the momentum. stopped as soon as i unplugged it. i don't know why this happened but it was only when it was plugged into that charger specifically

Isn't that most chargers? I haven't tried it lately because all my iPhones have been janky while charging since like the iPhone 4. I'm not sure if it's the charger, the cable, the phone, or all of the above.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Isn't that most chargers? I haven't tried it lately because all my iPhones have been janky while charging since like the iPhone 4. I'm not sure if it's the charger, the cable, the phone, or all of the above.

i pretty much only use apple chargers these days and i can't recall ever experiencing it with any of those. maybe i just got a bad anker idk

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Josh Lyman posted:

Apple doesn’t make 2+ port bricks for $20 so yes, it depends.

WhyteRyce posted:

Aukey is poorer man's Anker and I'm usually very happy with their stuff

This one is on sale for Prime Day, is GaN so small, 2 ports, and 60W. I've been using it for all my usbc stuff
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8M7T5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_N20HFbTJTYA20

If you don’t need a 60W brick (for your laptop, for example) and wanted to save a few bucks you could also for this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0833XR41B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

That one can do up to 30W on one port or 18W on both at the same time. I use it for my phone and iPad.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 14, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So it looks like current iphones max out at 7.5W wireless charging, but with magsafe charges it becomes 15W? Does this benefit extend to older phones like iPhone Xʀ?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

So it looks like current iphones max out at 7.5W wireless charging, but with magsafe charges it becomes 15W? Does this benefit extend to older phones like iPhone Xʀ?

Older phones don't have the magnet stuff inside them to be able to do the MagSafe charging.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can anyone get ATT's coverage map to work? I pull it up in different browsers (Chrome/Safari/Edge) and I can look my address up just fine, but it doesn't actually overlay the coverage colors onto the map at all. Even if I zoom out it shows nothing but a regular-rear end map.

Dude I was just looking at it this morning, and no, the answer is apparently no cause it doesn’t loving show anything when you zoom in. Lol. Assuming it means 5G is provided in a couple blocks of major US cities, or something:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Endless Mike posted:

Huh? There's lots. The first USB-C MacBook came out in 2015, and they were still selling the non-Retina MacBook Air until last year. The non-USB-C 13" and 15" Pros were sold until 2017 and 2018, respectively. Hell, the non-Retina 13" Pro was sold into 2016.

The first job my dad had was selling TVs for Crazy Eddie's in NJ back in the 80s.

For those of you who aren't familiar Crazy Eddies went out of buissness for tax evasion (among other things).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCGsqBn9pog

The commercials are completely crazy ahha.

Anyways when I started selling stuff he told me about his training on the showroom floor. Basically they had a bunch of ripped out Trinitron sets that they would have up front, but there was one tiny super cheap black and white TV in the back. They told him that if anyone bought that with him as a rep he was fired.

Every company has the "chump model" to sell customers on the value of the new shiny. The non-retina air was apple's 'chump laptop' for so long it's honestly surprising to me that they actually got rid of it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Works for me when I zoom in. You just have to be really patient (wait for at least 60 seconds).
Tested on Chrome and old Firefox.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Sorry if it's been asked before but will ATT give you that big trade in bonus towards a 12 pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Changing the subject to Siri and how much she still sucks. All I wanted to know was what time it was in PST.

What time is it in PST? Heres the time in your time zone.

What time is it in PT? Heres the time for Portugal.

What time is it in pacific time? Heres the time in Pacific, Missouri.

What time is it in pacific standard time? Heres the time in Pacific, Missouri.

🤦‍♂️

"What time is it in California?" Would get you your answer.