Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

unpacked robinhood posted:

I don't have a thermometer but when I start feeling a little feverish I stick a pencil up my rear end and the placebo effect does the rest.

Speaking of football, would one work just as well in this case? (asking for a friend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Fabulousity posted:

I think it's kind of like their North Dakota: It's loaded with a lot of fossil fuel investment generating some pretty crazy short term income for people with preexisting CHUD tendencies who don't realize they're setting fire to the very boat they think is ferrying them to infinite wealth. The fire being COVID mismanagement and long term environmental destruction.

Pretty much this. When oil prices are high, Alberta does well, but that hasn’t been the case for many years. I’m still here as my wife works in oil and gas, but the writing is on the wall I think. I’m already starting to think about moving even though I’ve lived in Alberta all my life. And we are usually expected to vote Conservative by the country every election. Also I’d guess 50-75% or more of white males here drive a large truck (though many don’t need one).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kragger99 posted:

Also I’d guess 50-75% or more of white males here drive a large truck (though many don’t need one).

What? Are you insinuating that an F350 isn't a good daily driver?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gildiss posted:

normal normal nORmal NORMal normAl NORML NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL

I just looked it up to verify, and it seems the Chiefs and Cowboys are allowing the most fans, but many teams are not allowing fans in the stadiums. It really seems to follow state political alignment.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Mithaldu posted:

i live in germany

my 13 year old nephew was told yesterday by his grandmother (of the other branch of the family, and who lives at the germany/poland border in a 1040 people village and is a grade school teacher) that trump did not actually get covid

i have no idea how to cope with this poo poo

I’m always confused where the trust of the government starts and stops with SA. The majority here seem to know Trump is a cheat, liar and all around bad guy , but at the same time the idea that he would fake a sickness for whatever reason is unthinkable .

I’m unclear on what the relevance is to that particular geographic location, but I would image they still have a healthy dose of skepticism of government.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Dude was gasping for breath pretty hard there while pretending nothing was wrong after being "released" from the hospital. I'm gonna trust my eyes and ears.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Dude was gasping for breath pretty hard there while pretending nothing was wrong after being "released" from the hospital. I'm gonna trust my eyes and ears.

At his age it takes more effort to digest seven Big Macs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hadlock posted:

Yeah at this point the whole planet (except China and NZ) has unofficially adopted herd immunity as the solution

That is not what herd immunity means.

I don’t know where this is coming from, but I have heard it in a couple of places and it is terrifyingly stupid. The only herd immunity humanity has ever had has been the result of universal vaccination. Before then diseases would roll through populations once a year or sometimes as infrequently as once every few decades but they always, always came back and it was always even worse the second time because the community had already been weakened by the first wave of deaths.

Study any disease. Literally any of them. Hell, take the flu, which idiots keep comparing COVID-19 to. Even with widespread, free vaccines it infects a portion of our population every single year.

This sounds more aggressive than I want it to. I can tell you think it is a stupid idea, and I am not mad at you specifically. However, allowing the idea to spread that some mystical “herd immunity” might spring out of the nothing our governments are doing is so insanely reckless I can’t find the right words to express what an abomination the idea is. Our governments aren’t adopting herd immunity as a solution, they’re choosing for people to die, both now and for forever after. It is madness. Evil ghoulish madness.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You can also pay to have Osama bin Laden's likeness added, the intern they have running the program isn't super attentive

drat you Obama, you told me I'd never see bin Laden walk the earth again!

Also to the guy with the hosed up nose, just wear a full-face 3M, that's what I do and they're way more comfy than the half-face, plus better for my allergies as I don't get anything in my eyes either.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's a 9pm curfew for me

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Plus side we keep having what look like good signs for long-term immunity in most cases.
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/10/14/immunity-and-re-infection
Should be favorable for vaccine efficacy as well. Seems to also indicate targeting the spike protein was a good idea.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/andrewkimmel/status/1316450454700658689

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

:getin:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

LLSix posted:

The only herd immunity humanity has ever had has been the result of universal vaccination.

I just did a 5 minute search on herd immunity without vaccines and I found nothing. That's a pretty good talking point, if true, if someone brings that bullshit up.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
oh hey someone who is getting the best quality care possible is getting worse and there might not be anything doctors can really do

id say its gonna be a harsh reality check but i can imagine the spin machine blaming it on the stress of campaigning against biden or something equally stupid

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A lot of the football games are having crowds, depending on the state. I think the chiefs game last week had 19k in attendance.

Florida State's coach said the reason the Gators are doing poorly is a lack of crowds, and he said he wants to "Pack The Swamp," referring to filling their stadium to capacity for the next game.

It's going well.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scarodactyl posted:

Plus side we keep having what look like good signs for long-term immunity in most cases.
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/10/14/immunity-and-re-infection
Should be favorable for vaccine efficacy as well. Seems to also indicate targeting the spike protein was a good idea.

Great signs for long-term immunity and reinfection outcomes, yeah.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Dr.Caligari posted:

I’m always confused where the trust of the government starts and stops with SA. The majority here seem to know Trump is a cheat, liar and all around bad guy , but at the same time the idea that he would fake a sickness for whatever reason is unthinkable .

I’m unclear on what the relevance is to that particular geographic location, but I would image they still have a healthy dose of skepticism of government.

I think most agree that he will lie but that faking a sickness would not enter his brain because he is not smart enough to think beyond “healthy=strong”. The strongest argument is that no one leaked it. Trump’s cons are always laughably inept and fall apart almost immediately because he and his flunkies always screw up or forget about the supporting details.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Someone getting chemo for bone marrow cancer getting reinfected and dying sucks but is not much of a concern from an epidemiological perspective.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

unpacked robinhood posted:

Well that's a 9pm curfew for me
I’m not in one of the selected cities, I’ll drink to your health at 10pm. But not in a bar because I’m not crazy.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

I’m always confused where the trust of the government starts and stops with SA. The majority here seem to know Trump is a cheat, liar and all around bad guy , but at the same time the idea that he would fake a sickness for whatever reason is unthinkable.
Xenocides roughly said it, but to be more clear:

trump lies, openly, brazenly, ridiculously

nobody would doubt that he'd lie about it

what is in doubt is that trump would orchestrate a whole theater piece this competently and believably, getting at least a 100 people to cooperate flawlessly and even going so far as to fake subtle symptoms as believably as he did on camera

trump is a dumb and confident liar, not a smart and competent liar

Dr.Caligari posted:

tiny village folks with basically no connection to larger society, possibly chuddy

she was also wrong, but in a good way, she argued that trump was lying and nobody is bad enough for the hospital for 3 days with covid (she overlooks that trump lied about when he got sick)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scarodactyl posted:

Someone getting chemo for bone marrow cancer getting reinfected and dying sucks but is not much of a concern from an epidemiological perspective.

I agree, the canary dropped dead of complications from chemo and there is no reason for anyone to be worried whatsoever at all and we should all just march right back into the mine.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Trump is now very much on board with herd immunity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-embraces-herd-immunity-in-wake-of-his-recovery-from-covid-19-200322727.html

E- 99% O2 saturation :c00lbutt:

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 14, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LLSix posted:

That is not what herd immunity means.

lol welcome to 2020 politics

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just did a 5 minute search on herd immunity without vaccines and I found nothing. That's a pretty good talking point, if true, if someone brings that bullshit up.

The Wikipedia page on Herd immunity notes that it didn’t stop diseases until widespread vaccination.

This isn’t and never has been a debatable fact. Even a cursory study of any related topic will make it painfully obvious. I am aware that doesn’t stop the entirely monstrous Republican Party from pretending there’s any room for uncertainty, but their disregard for reality and life is well established.

Oh. That’s where it’s from. That’s sadly unsurprising.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mithaldu posted:

Xenocides roughly said it, but to be more clear:

trump lies, openly, brazenly, ridiculously

nobody would doubt that he'd lie about it

what is in doubt is that trump would orchestrate a whole theater piece this competently and believably, getting at least a 100 people to cooperate flawlessly and even going so far as to fake subtle symptoms as believably as he did on camera

To add onto this, Trump was raised to view illness as a personal failing by his narcissistic father and has always bragged about never getting sick and being a perfect specimen of health, just like his father did. He's also been denying the existence of the virus, rejecting safety standards and not getting tested at all, for the most part. Getting covid made him look like one of the stupidest people to ever live and since he got it his poll numbers have plummeted.

There is absolutely no way getting covid factored into his plans. The whole triumphant return to the white house, and all the bullshit you hear from his doctors, is meant to make it seem like he was basically never sick and is oh so strong and virile. He even though about ripping off his short to reveal a superman logo or some poo poo

Play fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 14, 2020

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Edit : already been covered

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 14, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Cant have fukin herd immunity when you dont become immune to it.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Plastik posted:

I agree, the canary dropped dead of complications from chemo and there is no reason for anyone to be worried whatsoever at all and we should all just march right back into the mine.

It's not that bro, it's that people try to keep some resemblance of sanity by not overplaying or underplaying individual outcomes.
Take care of your mental health as well.

We don't know poo poo yet. That's the current state of things.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Plastik posted:

The point is that someone who is seriously immune compromised is not a meaningful example of how our immunity functions in general. She was specifically getting chemo to tamp down her immune system (again, bone marrow cancer), it is not surprising that she could not mount a defense against covid.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Did this already break here:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1316497247174037504

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
You could never see it coming

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Plastik posted:

Sometimes a dead canary just died. An 82-year-old, massively immunocompromised person being the first confirmed death from reinfection out of 38 million confirmed infections maybe shouldn't be your cue to dig out the Exit Bag.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Philthy posted:

Cant have fukin herd immunity when you dont become immune to it.

Herd immunity is absolute loving nonsense, although as a poster above mentioned cases of repeated infection actually seem to be quite rare. Whether that is due to the fact the virus still hasn't spread all that widely in terms of total population or not, I'm not sure. But it actually is starting to seem like if you are infected by the virus it is extremely unlikely you will get infected again, and I don't think there are any cases of people getting infected with the same strain they had before. The small number of people who have been infected twice all had different strains both times. I hadn't known that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GolfHole posted:

its wives / families

its the playoffs

explosivo posted:

Edit: Yep. They had 11,500 tickets for sale for these games.

That's a lot of wives/family!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Plastik posted:

People getting chemo will very routinely not have much of an immune system to speak of. Doubly so for chemo targeted towards bone marrow cancer (where the bulk of your immune system is manufactured).

If you ever have the misfortune of needing chemo then you will find out that you'll be taking prophylactic antibiotics, antifungals AND antivirals during treatment. The thrush that lurks in every goons folds of fat is disgusting when you're healthy, when your immune response is nonexistent it will find new and exciting places to live like your blood and internal organs. This kills the human.

Someone on chemo dropping dead from covid would not be surprising at all. They can and will drop dead for far more mundane causes if not managed properly.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

explosivo posted:

That's a lot of wives/family!

oh my god jc, all moms

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Play posted:

Herd immunity is absolute loving nonsense
Oh stop being so dramatic

https://unherd.com/2020/10/matt-hancock-is-wrong-about-herd-immunity/?=frlh

quote:

Dr Sunetra Gupta is a professor at Oxford University, an epidemiologist with expertise in immunology, vaccine development, and mathematical modelling of infectious diseases

It's nonsense if you start, as seems to be increasingly the case, claiming that herd immunity means total eradication of the disease. Which it doesn't.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I shouldn't have to say while posting in the covid thread that I am referring to herd immunity in the current relevant context that we are discussing.

Also I read that entire article (not that it had all that much to do with my point) and I still can't quite understand how what that man said was incorrect. He said that “Herd immunity is a flawed goal – even if we could get to it, which we can’t" which is 100% correct. I guess she took issue with the way he reached his conclusion and wanted to show her understanding about the differences between diseases, but it honestly seems like scientific pedantry in response to actual policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

BYU-Idaho says students may be trying to get COVID-19 so they can sell their plasma

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/10/13/byu-idaho-says-students/