Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Llyranor posted:

Narrative-wise, scenario design-wise, I'll take any single deluxe campaign of Arkham LCG over Gloomhaven's unmemorable one, though.

I really need to grab the rest of the The Dream Eaters, I only played through it once with my group and while I remember it being fun with a lot of cool setpieces (cats...on the moon?? I think?) I don't remember most of the overarching stuff.

Hell, I don't think I even have full cycle for The Circle Undone, and that looks completely out of stock everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Funzo posted:

Got my copy of Pax Pamir in today. The components are great, and I got the metal coins too, because I am a complete sucker for metal coins and playmats. I'm looking forward to learning the game, looking at and then never getting it to the table.
Get ready to see this exact post in about a month when my copy arrives in the UK. I am really excited to give it a try, preferably a few times in the same sitting, but with Covid I don't see that happening for a looooooong time. Hopefully I can get the Gloomhaven crew on board and see how it goes down with them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Llyranor posted:

Content-wise, not much compares to Gloomhaven.

Narrative-wise, scenario design-wise, I'll take any single deluxe campaign of Arkham LCG over Gloomhaven's unmemorable one, though.

Is there a consensus on the "Gloomhaven for Babies, Brought to you by Target" edition? At a glance it seemed like a better fit to my availability.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there a consensus on the "Gloomhaven for Babies, Brought to you by Target" edition? At a glance it seemed like a better fit to my availability.

As someone who played many hundred hours of the first Gloomhaven and was worried about it being too basic, I have been pleasantly surprised. While they've streamlined much of the game, it's mostly been through reducing the amount of components and fiddliness rather than dumbing-down anything. Most aspects of the game have just as much depth as the original - the characters all have fairly interesting and non-basic abilities as do the enemies, some of the new battle goals are actually more involved and challenging than the original, and the scenarios so far seem a little more involved in terms of objectives. So overall, I think it's a great intro to Gloomhaven. I do think it's a shame that they didn't include maybe a couple of other characters, as the diversity there was part of what made the original fun for a longer time, and if you have four players then you have no choice about which characters to use, but that's about my only gripe - and for the money it's pretty understandable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's great and I won't be getting Frosthaven until the map book comes out for it. Also it's $37 right now which is insane.

https://www.amazon.com/Cephalofair-Games-Gloomhaven-Strategy-Boxed/dp/B088QSDB7S

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Had some errands to run waaay on the other side of town. Stopped in the friendly, other side of town game store, just for a look. They had A Feast for Odin. Now I have A Feast for Odin. Not sure who I will play it with, but I have it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fischtick posted:

Had some errands to run waaay on the other side of town. Stopped in the friendly, other side of town game store, just for a look. They had A Feast for Odin. Now I have A Feast for Odin. Not sure who I will play it with, but I have it.

Helpfully, it's a fantastic solo game.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

And The Norwegians is finally back in stock!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yesssssss more Odin fans :getin:

Highly recommending The Norwegians if you can get a regular 4 player group happening. I've straight up never played base Odin.
Grab the mini expansions if you can.
Mini expansion 2 is basically impossible to loving find, but pops up occasionally.

silvergoose posted:

Helpfully, it's a fantastic solo game.

I've yet to play a solo game, purely due to the table space required for it (as I'd want to play it in my study)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Allegedly the new expansion is out this year, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Particularly with all the manufacturing delays I see from Kickstarter updates

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

food court bailiff posted:

I can understand not liking the theming, but the bolded bit stands out to me as patently untrue. There are certainly classes that are simpler (if I'm playing with newbies I usually suggest they pick a Guardian or Seeker for their character) but the other three classes all have a lot of characters that have a lot of choices and strategy involved, both during deckbuilding and actual play. Mystics and Survivors in particular get into some pretty heavy shenanigans.

You might not see this out of the core box, because the three scenarios in the core box are really there to teach the game - the first scenario introduces the basic mechanics, the second one introduces more complex win and lose conditions and a bigger map, and the third shows that you're pretty much expected to lose occasionally. This sets up a framework for a pretty great game with TONS of variety in the scenarios.

The only campaign I really dislike is The Forgotten Age, and even that has some really standout cool scenarios. It just seems so overtuned and punishing for the first two or three that I rarely replay it.

I played it the other day, and I was Silas Marsh. We were playing a scenario where we were in a hotel. What happened was, we went into the hotel, all the staff started attacking us, then the police arrived and started REALLY attacking us (Except for the chief, who just stood in the lobby and helped us? He never helped us though) and then the plot was revealed, that we were supposed to find some things and take them somewhere. Only by this point, I realised it was literally impossible for me to ever do that, so I just fought random things. The only interesting things in my deck were like, an axe, and... something else? I forget what, because I didn't find it. So I spent the game just having some 'quite good' modifiers, but they were certainly never close to good enough to get anything done. Meanwhile the other guy that was playing it for the first time was the dreamer. He would spend a turn setting up another elaborate turn, where he would take something off to the dream land with him, do some crazy incantation, that would let him do something else special, and then he would roll a fail. He did this three times. The player who owned it was some kind of grifter, and he would spend his turns spinning what looked like a thousand plates to win money then spend money (? I'm not sure what he was up to really) so that he could finally say "I deal it one damage" which was never enough to be effective, and was basically the same result as me going "I spend these cards, one damage, done" but seemed to take a lot longer. He was enjoying it though? The other guy who had played before, just died. It wasn't even like arkham horror funny death, it was like, a technicality where moving between two places meant he was dead, I don't really know. It was odd. I don't remember what his character was, but it died.

I was told this particular scenario was good because you could replay it a lot, but, man. Why. It just felt claustrophobic and unachievable from like the second turn of the game, and it wasn't close to being achievable at the end. There was zero reason given as to why everyone in the hotel started attacking us. I kinda got in retrospect that the dreamer guy was meant to be 'possibly a murderer' but the description was super unclear as to what I was doing there in the first place?

The thing that really got me was that there were literally 'two' things in my deck I could look forward to drawing, everything else was just generic 'dice roll+'. If the game went better, and the story was much more compelling, and everyone got to do their thing, I still would have come away not enjoying it, with a deck that boring.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gernot definitely didn't quite seem as confident in 2020 as he used to be.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently the Mini Expansion #2 is also back in stock on the US Asmodee web store!

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, "confident in 2020" probably isn't something anyone should be :smith:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 15, 2020

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Also 2020 is nearly over

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Norwegians expansion is mandatory for the pig tiles alone

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

homullus posted:

or just live longer, so more is in the public domain while you are alive

Nothing will ever be public domain again as long as Disney lawyers exist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

rydiafan posted:

Nothing will ever be public domain again as long as Disney lawyers exist.

Disney isn't fighting like they used to.

Works from 1923 entered the public domain in 2019, which is the first time it's happened in decades. The same thing happened with works from 1924 at the start of this year.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Huh, any thoughts why? Stuff that old really isn't bringing in any money anymore?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

silvergoose posted:

Huh, any thoughts why? Stuff that old really isn't bringing in any money anymore?

No idea. Suggestions I've seen have been about using trademarks to protect things, that public domain versions of characters would have to be based specifically off the early versions (see the Enola Holmes claims for a stupid example of this), and that they expect a much bigger fight than before that they might not win.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I could see "We're not sure if congress would actually do it" being the reason, yeah. Interesting.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Not an area I know anything about, but in other realms there are definitely times you don't want to push a trial that will set new case law if it's a borderline issue, since you're not sure you can win and that new controlling case law can then spill into related realms that until then were "protected"

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Let it goooooo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stickman posted:

Apparently the Mini Expansion #2 is also back in stock on the US Asmodee web store!

Cheers for this, I've been checking on and off for the past few months.
Hopefully it'll be in stock when I get home and can order from my pc

I'm curious how much it changes the game dynamics

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My birthday's coming up, and I've told 2 of my non-euro gamer friends that they're learning Odin so I can play it together with them.

Odin's really good you guys

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Cheers for this, I've been checking on and off for the past few months.
Hopefully it'll be in stock when I get home and can order from my pc

I'm curious how much it changes the game dynamics

The long periods of plenty or drought make individual games feel very different!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

food court bailiff posted:

I really need to grab the rest of the The Dream Eaters, I only played through it once with my group and while I remember it being fun with a lot of cool setpieces (cats...on the moon?? I think?) I don't remember most of the overarching stuff.

Hell, I don't think I even have full cycle for The Circle Undone, and that looks completely out of stock everywhere.

I just finished an expansion pack online that took place in space. Fascinating, really intriguing challenges and some pulse pounding moments.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Can anyone comment on the clockwork expansion for Root? My wife and I have been really enjoying the game but we aren't particularly enamoured with adversarial 1v1 games, much preferring cooperative or indirect stuff where possible.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

!Klams posted:

I played it the other day, and I was Silas Marsh. [...] If the game went better, and the story was much more compelling, and everyone got to do their thing, I still would have come away not enjoying it, with a deck that boring.

This sounds a bit like my first game of AHLCG, when I took the suggested Jenny Barnes starter deck to an organised event with three strangers. I was pretty much a handicap for the group and didn't have much fun at all.

It sounds like you all had a genuinely bad time, but some thoughts if you're interested:

Standalone scenarios like Murder at the Excelsior Hotel aren't usually played with 0xp decks - you can add up to 9xp to your deck for 'free', or more xp at the cost of taking additional weaknesses. It sounds like your group might not have taken advantage of that, since you mentioned how bland your deck was and it sounds like the other players were struggling.

A lot of the story is on the Act and Agenda cards, so if you don't have somebody reading those out in a suitably dramatic voice you're going to miss out on story elements. The story in Excelsior is a bit wonky because it's mostly about one of the characters (the dreamer in your game), with the others just being friends they called for backup.

The cops in that scenario shouldn't have attacked you straight up IIRC - they act more like environmental hazards that you have to manipulate, keeping them away from locations where you need to get poo poo done and parleying with them to remove doom. You're trying to keep them from completing their investigation. You can kill them if it's easier, though.

Silas likes to use skill cards because of his unique ability, but if there's only two interesting cards in the whole deck, I would ask for a different character or at least a better deck. Silas is rad, he doesn't have to be boring.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

bobvonunheil posted:

Can anyone comment on the clockwork expansion for Root? My wife and I have been really enjoying the game but we aren't particularly enamoured with adversarial 1v1 games, much preferring cooperative or indirect stuff where possible.

The ai is perfectly serviceable and creates a sort of arcade facsimile of the faction to fight. Because the ai is known and fairly rigid some of them are easy to take out but the difficulty is adjustable.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ripley posted:

This sounds a bit like my first game of AHLCG, when I took the suggested Jenny Barnes starter deck to an organised event with three strangers. I was pretty much a handicap for the group and didn't have much fun at all.

It sounds like you all had a genuinely bad time, but some thoughts if you're interested:

Standalone scenarios like Murder at the Excelsior Hotel aren't usually played with 0xp decks - you can add up to 9xp to your deck for 'free', or more xp at the cost of taking additional weaknesses. It sounds like your group might not have taken advantage of that, since you mentioned how bland your deck was and it sounds like the other players were struggling.

A lot of the story is on the Act and Agenda cards, so if you don't have somebody reading those out in a suitably dramatic voice you're going to miss out on story elements. The story in Excelsior is a bit wonky because it's mostly about one of the characters (the dreamer in your game), with the others just being friends they called for backup.

The cops in that scenario shouldn't have attacked you straight up IIRC - they act more like environmental hazards that you have to manipulate, keeping them away from locations where you need to get poo poo done and parleying with them to remove doom. You're trying to keep them from completing their investigation. You can kill them if it's easier, though.

Silas likes to use skill cards because of his unique ability, but if there's only two interesting cards in the whole deck, I would ask for a different character or at least a better deck. Silas is rad, he doesn't have to be boring.

I felt 'very' much like the people leading me through, despite playing a SHITTON of AHLCG didn't really know what they were doing, in terms of giving a demonstration. I can well believe it was down to that rather than the game itself, but it's gonna be a struggle to get me to try it again after that, to be honest.

One sort of tangential thing, and honestly much more important an issue for me, is with this: "if you don't have somebody reading those out in a suitably dramatic voice you're going to miss out on story elements".

MOST of the people I play with are dyslexic, or introverted to the point they find it intimidating reading stuff out in games. There's me and one other guy who actually have any gravitas whatsoever. I have a history in theatre, and this other dude is just an awesome DM who's well practiced at all that. It's mostly just the 'being able to read stuff' though. Anyway, it really dampens loads of games. One dude in particular who just.. 'cant' read out loud, really loves it. He's always the most enthusiastic about the fluff in whatever we're playing. But it means I basically miss it all, or, it doesn't ever land. This kind of in turn seems to mean that the introvert people will mumble through when its their turn rather than opening it up to the floor, because otherwise it would be one of the enthusiastic dyslexics. None of us ever want to say "Please let X read it" because, like, it doesn't matter, it's not harming anyone, and they're all enthusiastic about doing it, why take it away from them? Well, because it makes games worse.

I don't really know if there's a tactful way I can bring it up or talk about it? I Guess probably what I need to do is just 'become' the super enthusiastic read-out-loud-er. Go out of my way to always 'do the voices' etc. It just feels kinda rum when like with AHLCG I have no idea what the plot is meant to be, until I go and read the card for myself afterwards, and clear up all the mistakes. (It's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a tome not a tomb. It has never once been a tomb in all our games of anything ever, which I'll admit is surprising, but still, factual.)

gently caress if any of them ever read this it's so super harsh, I don't really mind that much and it really feels like I'm making GBS threads in their cornflakes, God I should just get over myself. I just haven't slept at all and have a ton of work to do but am posting on SA instead and it's coming out all aggy. It's my baggage not theirs, I should shut up.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

My birthday's coming up, and I've told 2 of my non-euro gamer friends that they're learning Odin so I can play it together with them.

Odin's really good you guys

I taught Feast+Norwegians to two people who had never played anything bigger than Scrabble before and they took to it so well I thought I was getting hustled. They loved it. I even had them both say they were thinking about it later and how to improve and change their game. Absolutely wild and something I never in a million years would have expected. That said, they both loved Container and the one guy even won it as well and I was this close to getting 1830 on the table but got vetoed. Next time though...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, it sucks that you had such a negative experience !Klams. That hotel scenario was introduced at Arkham Nights 2019 so it's kind of expected that people playing it will have some familiarity with the game - and Silas, as much as I love him, is a promo card included with a novella, so kind of the same deal there, he's meant to be an investigator for people familiar with the game that want to mess around with something new. I will say that I'm not a huge fan of the hotel scenario overall - despite the touted "replayability", it all really boils down to there just being several different possible Macguffins to win the scenario with, each with a slightly different way to acquire them. As Ripley posted, the cops are meant to be kind of a puzzle for most of the game - there's something that triggers them to all go full aggro eventually iirc, but I think the way the scenario is printed it's actually pretty easy to avoid overall if you're playing solo and pretty difficult if you have a full group of players.

If you ever get the opportunity to play again (and haven't been turned off of the game entirely), see if they have the standalone scenario The Blob That Ate Everything. It's exactly what it sounds like on the tin, and (in my opinion, at least) is really the only standalone scenario that is fun for newer players to check out.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
For the 18xxers out there: how worth it would it be to order a copy of 18MEX from AAG? I've got 1830, 1844/54, 1846, and have 1849, 1822, and 1861/67 whenever they arrive/get printed.

What are peoples' thoughts on it in general? Is it a "run a good company" game or a "stock market shenanigans and lol you got dumped dummy" game?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's the latter, with some strangeness due to how the national railway works, but it's firmly in the camp of 1830-a-likes. I like it personally. It involves a lot of "let's build this railway out in the middle of the desert to drain reserves" shenanigans.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FulsomFrank posted:

For the 18xxers out there: how worth it would it be to order a copy of 18MEX from AAG? I've got 1830, 1844/54, 1846, and have 1849, 1822, and 1861/67 whenever they arrive/get printed.

What are peoples' thoughts on it in general? Is it a "run a good company" game or a "stock market shenanigans and lol you got dumped dummy" game?

What's an example of the former? Would that be a better starting point?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magnetic North posted:

What's an example of the former? Would that be a better starting point?

1846 and 1817. I would say no since parring price matters more and there’s more calculations to make without the buffer of FREE MONEY that full cap games have. Only reason 46 has been used is that for 2-3 years it was the most accessible xx game on the market. 30 has since been reprinted.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah honestly for some reason the idea of 1830 appeals to me more anyway, from all sorts of non-gameplay reasons. The part of the world, period in history, and that it's the progenitor of the genre, which is important since I likely won't need a second one. Just gotta wait for a copy to, you know, exist again.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You're supposed to play them all in chronological order as a campaign.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

silvergoose posted:

In a recent BGG Post he said that it was definitely being pushed into to 2021 - maybe even Q2 or 3....I'm not holding my breath at this point. At least I get to use my 3d-printed organizer longer.

I did pick up mini expansion two after reading a lot of positive feedback on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

You're supposed to play them all in chronological order as a campaign.

I was like "quick, to make a game deep in the past to get those sales' but someone beat me to it