Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Caconym posted:

But now I need trains, and then I really want LTN don't I? I already added in helmod, miniloader and that recipe thing.

LTN is great, but I'm learning to love TSM (Train Supply Manager) more than LTN because the time between the "I need a train" signal from a requestor to the time the loaded train shows up can be extremely low without running nearly as many 'max' trains at the requester. This is because trains in TSM wait fully loaded at a 'supply depot' rather than waiting at a generic depot for an order to go get something.

If you are smart with the locations of your supply depots, you can service multiple requestors from one supply depot that is very close and get trains in just seconds after requesting them. You can also specify priorities that allow a 'chain' of supply depots to service a specific material, like you can have Iron Ore Supply 1-3 and prioritize them however you want so if there are no trains available at the first supply depot, it just goes to the next one and grabs a train from there. Pretty cool IMO.

The neatest feature (again IMO) is the automatic refueling. Instead of needing to have fuel supplied to every stop at every depot, you just build a couple (or single with a stacker maybe) refueling stop, and whenever a train gets down to a specified low fuel level, it automatically adds the fuel stop to the end of it's orders and goes and gets fuel after unloading and then continues on to go get a new load of 'stuff' and heads back to the supply depot to wait for the next request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It is kind of a shame that they didn’t implement locomotives which take on steam from a pump as fuel, as a mk1 train

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LordAdakos posted:

Also don't be afraid to embrace the flare stacks you can find in mods. Just burn the excess fluids. It's like free pollution!

Use the overflow valves from Flow Control so that your heavy and medium oil output is only sent to cracking when their tanks are over 80% full

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Babbys first angelbob. :v:

Surprise, I did _not_ leave myself enough space, ore refining will be a nightmare here.
I've basically built one of each production line so far just to figure them out, and have no room to scale basically anything ore-related.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Caconym posted:

Surprise, I did _not_ leave myself enough space

factorio.txt

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

To be fair i didn't look up anything about any of the mods, so two things really bit me. First, Ore refining being what it is means smelting really needs to be its own thing far away from ore processing, and second, all the alloys and metal processing means you need raw metal ore, processed ore, plates, ingots and molten metal later, so passing everything to furnaces to make plates out of habit was... not clever.

Mining -> ore crushing -> flotation -> leaching -> refining -> (ore mixing) -> sorting -> metal ores -> (alloy mixing) -> processing -> ingots -> (alloy mixing) -> smelting -> (alloy mixing) -> strand casting -> plates.

I was... not prepared.

I love it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Caconym posted:

Mining -> ore crushing -> flotation -> leaching -> refining -> (ore mixing) -> sorting -> metal ores -> (alloy mixing) -> processing -> ingots -> (alloy mixing) -> smelting -> (alloy mixing) -> strand casting -> plates.

I was... not prepared.

I love it.

laughs in Seablock There's never enough space.

Vestiges of the original smelting area for the tier 1 metals, alloys and steel
This was done through slag electrolysis for the longest time and various smaller factories bodged together whenever I needed to increase capacity or to break out each secondary ore to its own separate production whenever it got blocked by tin or lead.

Replacement for producing all metals pre-Purified Crystal

A "cell" for crystal sludge and mineral water followed by the zoomed out view of 40 of them together

Conversion to mineral sludges (120 filtration units) and into the various base ores (40 crystallization units each)

Flotation cell section, leaching cell section; easy to tile together since they take up the same amount of space roughly

Overbuilt support for waste water, purified water, and sulfuric acid production

Results in a full yellow belt each of unblocked tier 1 ores coming out. Belts are setup to redirect excess crushed back to the flotation cells so that tier 2 ores can be produced. And again to redirect chunked into the leaching cells for the tier 3s!
Also the section to deal with excess geodes (clarified out of existence) and a little of what happens to the crushed stone (stone -> stone brick).

Now I'm planning out maximizing circuit board production down to red circuits for yellow belts. Do you know how many wood boards you need per second for that?! 60 for red circuits alone! 15 for each of the lower tiers too for a total of 105. My copper is not going to keep up with that. *sighs*

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

A "cell" for crystal sludge and mineral water

Put a pump and wires in that only lets the mud flow to the twelve washers if the crystal slurry tank is <75%. Your belt is getting flooded by one color due to intermittent backups, and by how the washers try to get rid of all ~200 of one color geode before they touch any of the second color which they have banked up.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I feel like this is blindingly obvious in retrospect, but don't recall ever having seen this posted, but Spidertron Bridges

Make them big enough to plop some artillery turrets down and you can just creep along coasts or island hop while abusing the lack of pathing the biters have.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So how do I prevent this?:

Two trains are trying to get into the same parking spot and loving everything up.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Travic posted:

Two trains are trying to get into the same parking spot and loving everything up.

A chain signal at the choke point would fix it as long as you don't have more than 2/3 trying to go to the bottom exit.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

You need to put a chain signal on the lower rail at the split. And the upper split to if you haven't.

The train will get to those signals, then make a path to any of the free slots in the stacker.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
That was fast. Thank you. :)

On a separate note I drove by the train yards near my city and saw the real version these are based off of. Made me happy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Two ways of TLDR on signals :

1. If it's not OK for a train to stop at this signal, make the PREVIOUS signal a chain signal.
2. At intersections chain signal entrances, regular signal exits.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
god drat trains are my favorite part of this game

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Travic posted:

That was fast. Thank you. :)

On a separate note I drove by the train yards near my city and saw the real version these are based off of. Made me happy.

Re: Factorio: just-in-time logistics advice

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Travic posted:

It's been answered, but here is a picture I made that hopefully makes it clear. Not sure why but it took me a while to 'get' this when I started using trains and stackers, and it took a picture similar to this to suddenly make things click in my brain.

Somewhere off to the right, where the station is that your stacker is supplying with trains, will be the next standard signal. When that signal goes green, one of the trains from the stacker will move into that station while the rest will sit in the stacker and wait.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
This is a friendly reminder than if you join the goontorio discord, we finally got a a server up and running.
has 69 available slots ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

LordAdakos posted:

This is a friendly reminder than if you join the goontorio discord, we finally got a a server up and running.
has 69 available slots ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Is there a link to said Discord?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Is there a link to said Discord?

https://discord.gg/CgnWDT3

i think this link might work

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Galvanik posted:

I feel like this is blindingly obvious in retrospect, but don't recall ever having seen this posted, but Spidertron Bridges

Make them big enough to plop some artillery turrets down and you can just creep along coasts or island hop while abusing the lack of pathing the biters have.

You only need one dot of landfill, conveniently at the very edge of default placement range, for spiders to walk across water. They will happily balance all eight legs on that dot if you stand still, too, and it's p goofy

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That water is a very healthy green. Cyril Sneer would approve.

For those who weren't a Canadian kids in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7m-EhQhFU&t=34s

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a way to fill a cargo wagon with a specific amount of many sorts of items? For example 1000 walls, 100 laser turrets, 10 roboports, etc. - without anything over-filling? I can see how one can limit the amount a car will hold, but I'd want limits for specific items.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Middle click a slot to make it filter items. Do this for each slot (copy paste) and it will do exactly that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Beware, If you use a single inserter for multiple types it can get stuck once a filtered stack is full. You'll want an inserter for each type.

At least this was the case last time I did this.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Yeah that's still the case. Once the inserter grabs a wall and you're full on walls, it has no place to go. Make sure you have separate inserters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Xinlum posted:

Middle click a slot to make it filter items. Do this for each slot (copy paste) and it will do exactly that.

This adds a precise limit on the number of stacks, which means you can have a precise number of items. If you want a precise number that happens to not be divisible by stack size then you have to control inserters with the circuit network from the train stop counting individual items and it gets pretty complex.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks for the pointers. I'd set it up with single inserters with multiple items, had this problem, but hadn't figured out why.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You can also set inserter stack size to 1 and I believe that will consistently avoid the problem.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

K8.0 posted:

You can also set inserter stack size to 1 and I believe that will consistently avoid the problem.

But will also take longer to load/unload. :) A friend of mine rigged up a whole set of combinators that read the contents of the train and adjusted the stack size as the cargo neared capacity, which was a pretty slick trick.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
That's the way I built my engineering train, I just had to have a bunch of long-handed inserters so that each item had it's own dedicated requester box, assuming that each car might need 24 unique item types anyway. If there's something that you need a LOT of (like walls or rails, for example), I would dedicate a stack inserter to it instead, but then you can only load that one item from that column.

Bad example without the stack inserter:

I'm sure there's things you can do with circuits but unless this is a train you have running constantly it's probably not worth the hassle.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Going back to stackers for a sec, I noticed the pic that The Locator posted had 2 train stops inside the stacker. Are the stops necessary, or can I just have the multiple paths and the train will stop in each branch as it's able?

EDIT: Nevermind, they don't need stations.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 18, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Going back to stackers for a sec, I noticed the pic that The Locator posted had 2 train stops inside the stacker. Are the stops necessary, or can I just have the multiple paths and the train will stop in each branch as it's able?

EDIT: Nevermind, they don't need stations.

My shot was possibly a bad example, I should have found a dedicated stacker, but I was lazy and used the one I was next to at the time. You are correct, a stacker does not need stations.

The screenshot is actually a combination of 2 things. The top two lanes are TSM supply depot stops for coal supply trains, and the bottom 4 lanes are a stacker for trains coming to pick up plastic. Rather than make 2 separate locations I just combined them to feed two different stops, one is a drop-off for the coal, and the other is the loading for the plastic. Here is a wider shot.

Here is a 'pure' stacker, and as you can see it has no stations. It's also really poorly signaled, as the way it's currently set up the next train from the stacker won't release until the departing train has cleared that standard signal on the outbound track to the left of the stacker.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The most important thing about stackers is that the next major update will change them significantly.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

The most important thing about stackers is that the next major update will change them significantly.

Does it really change stackers or just station/train behavior with the count limit in that you can theoretically design a network that doesn't need as many stackers? I haven't kept up with the news on the update other than what little has been posted here.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
One interesting thing you can do with tsm that I think is new (at least since I used it) is set up your providers as requesters and add supply priorities for empty trains. This lets you use TSM's trains-on-the-way signal vector to limit the size of stackers at the producer side in the same way as 1.1 will allow you to do.

You set up a supply priority with like signal-e and signal-[resource] for each resource you want to behave that way, and you set its condition (in the little window that pops up to the upper-right of the supply priority window when you make a new priority) to "wait until full", which is the condition that will be generated at the requester when the train gets there. These are your "empty train" priorities. You can't really have just one empty-train priority, you have to have one for each resource as far as I know, because what you do is set train schedules to
1. wait at empty depot
2. wait at [resource] depot

Then at your [resource] supply areas, you make your loading station a requester on the empty-train priority, and set its request condition to >-than-train-capacity. So when a supply area fills up its loading staging, it requests a train from the empty priority (and you limit how many there are with the requester signaling; either you set up a decider with output-1 on its [resource-count] > [train-capacity] condition, or you do some more signal stuff to create multiple discretized levels on multiples of the train capacity and set up a stacker. Then it fills up, hitting the cargo-full condition you set up in the empty priority, and then it goes back to its normal schedule and heads to [resource] depot, where it can service requests for [resource].

One sad thing about TSM is they appear to not have kept up their documentation with changes, to the extent that the mod page links out to some random youtube videos that are each 10 minutes long for some reason. I watched like 45 minutes of video and condensed it down to that post. Blech

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

...I already want to start a new game and properly plan out my base from the beginning next time.

My favorite part of the progression was early around the time trains get unlocked. I liked figuring out how to solve the messes I cornered myself into, like trying to find pathways to my research domes despite knowing pretty early on I should have just torn the whole drat thing down and rebuilt it from scratch.

Towards the end, my plastic production came to a near standstill and I was producing maybe 20% of what I was at my peak. Figured out many, many hours later the water supply to my crackers got destroyed. That crippled my red circuit production for many hours and probably added 3 hours to the end game.

Fun game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Your base is astonishingly well-organized for a first playthrough.

FYI you can use /screenshot [resolution x] [resolution y] [zoom] in the console to take higher res screenshots, which will wind up in %appdata%\factorio

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Did someone say spaghettis?

I guess this is what happens when you have a bunch of people working on the map as their first factorio game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

coke posted:

Did someone say spaghettis?

I guess this is what happens when you have a bunch of people working on the map as their first factorio game :v:

I would absolutely run away in horror and go set up shop in the wilderness somewhere far away, sending nice straight lines of resources back to that... Rorschach test of a factory.

My first base looked relatively nice, but had about about a dozen, "Don't touch that one pipe, it's a load bearing pipe" hacks to get it to work. I can't imagine trying to troubleshoot later game issues that would arise from that thing.