Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That looks like a bad Photoshop job, holy cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How many layers of loving up are we looking at here? I'm sure some sort of miscommunication between the designer and the builder and probably whoever did the measurements, but even as a layman I think this should have been caught a dozen times over before the building was done.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I always cut the level designers/artists/modelers some slack when I see an occasional floating rock or tree.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That's one of those images that takes my brain a second to parse. At first I thought the columns went to the ground but were intersecting a step and a flower bed. Then I thought I was having a stroke.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's one of those images that takes my brain a second to parse. At first I thought the columns went to the ground but were intersecting a step and a flower bed. Then I thought I was having a stroke.

:same:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Huh, didn't realize the PO of my house was doing suburban retail

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

toplitzin posted:

West St & Boom St, Pietermaritzburg, 3200, South Africa
https://www.google.com/maps/@-29.60...!7i13312!8i6656

I like how the trees are on the outside of the curb and in the street.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh my god, now I see it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I needed the reflection to understand what was going on because surely that couldn't have been what it was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wheatpuppy posted:

Oh my god, now I see it.

Took me all drat day but now I do too and it's :aaa:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, I'm old & all. I'm still not seeing anything but a photoshop of a couple of pillars. Or I'm also having a stroke.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It doesn't help that the picture was taken at Mindfuck O'Clock. All in shadow with flat lighting so there's no shadows to help you orient those loving pillars.

I mean, that overhang is surely cantilevered to hell and back, so any pillars would be purely decorative, but I can't figure out how the builder got final sign-off from the client.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Aren't all pillars and columns just posts clad in whatever decorative non-structural cladding these days? Nothing is solid so only the central 30% or whatever has to be anchored.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Licensed Architect MC Escher.

There had to be an engineer who necessitated that the columns don't connect to the ground, meaning a solid connection. Then someone took that too far, or detailed it in the architectural sheets with a given dimension that didn't line up with the Civil elevation for the sidewalk at that point, and then someone took it all as gospel and didn't correct it for the intent, either out of incompetence or spite.

mshade
Jul 13, 2001
I still found it hard to believe, but google maps has evidence:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...1.2321766?hl=en

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus wept.

I'm not stroking out

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mshade posted:

I still found it hard to believe, but google maps has evidence:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...1.2321766?hl=en

This is a mini version of the Best buildings we've recentaly talked about.

https://failedarchitecture.com/the-ironic-loss-of-the-postmodern-best-store-facades/

The one closest to me unfortunately wasn't that cool with wacky architecture, but it did look like it was covered with 70s bathtub appliques.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I wonder what creeps out of those tubes at night.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Christopher Wren is still alive, I see.

but apparently the story about him purposely shortening the columns he was forced to put in the Windsor Guildhall is just a legend

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Yo I don't think that's what they meant when they said the design called for floating columns

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Brothers and sisters, we have finally arrived, welcome to the promised land, for behold: load-bearing air.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Brothers and sisters, we have finally arrived, welcome to the promised land, for behold: load-bearing air.

I wonder what the strength of dry ice is. Maybe some sort of alloy of solidified gasses.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

It uses them to fight off rival buildings and predators.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

there wolf posted:

It uses them to fight off rival buildings and predators.

They do kinda look like hippo teeth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Load Bearing Thoughts and Prayers

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I wonder what the strength of dry ice is. Maybe some sort of alloy of solidified gasses.

That amber gas from fringe?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYJRlL6QNw

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

By popular demand posted:

:barf: Can we please get back to the horrendously unsafe building methods?

E:

Hey, that reminds me of a cursed town I visited last year!

(And also this old hydro station nearby that was cursed in a different way)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bad Munki posted:

It's been done.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A drawing doesn’t count :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Argon isn’t air. Air isn’t bearing any load there.

(And the specific gravity of 1.39 argon is correct… relative to air itself, a thousand times less dense than water, which I assume is the joke.)

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Hi-viz and a cowboy hat. What in tarnation is going on here?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They make cowboy hat shaped hard hats.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The groove in the top of a cowboy hat seems inconsistent with the goal of a hard hat

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

The groove in the top of a cowboy hat seems inconsistent with the goal of a hard hat

no, no, it's got two domes so it's twice as safe

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

94 year old theater roof collapse.

quote:

Heffron said the cause of the collapse is unknown at this time, but it’s believed there was a buildup in the gutters, which prevented water from draining, adding weight to the roof. And if the damage from the roof wasn’t enough, pressure from the roof collapsing pushed the back doors open.

Heffron said although insulation and debris were pushed onto Jackson Street, that insulation is not dangerous.

“As far as we’re aware right now, the insulation that was blown out was not asbestos. We have Eagle here with the State of Michigan and they are assessing that as we speak,” Heffron said.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol, GIS results come back to "Learn engineering in online courses"