Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Weird, I thought the Koopa Kids were named after musicians, with Morton being Jellyroll Morton.

A lot of them are, Morton is the exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Morton Downey Jr. did release an album at one point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Downey_Jr._Sings

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Morton Downey Jr. is also in Predator 2.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I realized I've never seen a picture of Morton Downey Jr. and good lord that is one of the ugliest men I've ever seen in my loving life.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, this was probably a reference to Morton Downey Jr., a talk show host at the time who got a brief spike of infamy for being especially trashy. I think by the time the nineties rolled around, he was effectively forgotten.

He was a voracious smoker of the Bill Hicks school while he was famous, and was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1996, which killed him in early 2001.

If not for that, I have my doubts we'd ever have quite gotten rid of him.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Morton Downey Jr. had a music career in the late 50s/early 60s, per wikipedia. it's possible the people naming koopa kids didn't even know he had a talk show http://www.45cat.com/record/x5556

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The highlight of his career was getting sprayed with a fire extinguisher by Roddy Piper.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Snackmar posted:

TONY. NO.

A great time to mention that the leading inventor of the transistor, a nobel prize winner, was a colossal racist who used all his public authority and prestige to promote white supremacist pseudoscience. I've got a very longstanding effort project on it here.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Samovar posted:

I loving love how he says it takes microseconds for this to happen, and yet is talking as normal, so I can only assume he is speaking like Alvin and the Chipmunks on helium.

I was wondering if he meant milliseconds or something as I read this, but even that seems way too little. I would expect something expanding that fast to create a thunder crack or crush his organs if he suddenly gained a bit of weight or drew a breath.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Samovar posted:

I loving love how he says it takes microseconds for this to happen, and yet is talking as normal, so I can only assume he is speaking like Alvin and the Chipmunks on helium.

Someone post the panel of Wolverine delivering a half-page monologue in mid-leap.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wanderer posted:

He was a voracious smoker of the Bill Hicks school while he was famous, and was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1996, which killed him in early 2001.

If not for that, I have my doubts we'd ever have quite gotten rid of him.

He was career was finished before the 90s even started after faking an attack by nazi's in a bathroom.

He was an interesting character, he was looked down on at the time because he tended to stoke conflict instead of having civil debate. Think Springer but instead of hiring actors to play incestuous couples you had actual white supremacists debate actual black extremists at the Apollo theater. His shows are a trip to watch nowadays to get an idea of racial politics in the 80s.

9/11 totally would have broken his brain like Dennis Miller's though.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 14, 2020

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

evilmiera posted:

I was wondering if he meant milliseconds or something as I read this, but even that seems way too little. I would expect something expanding that fast to create a thunder crack or crush his organs if he suddenly gained a bit of weight or drew a breath.
Talking is a free action.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

In Silver / Bronze age comics, when someone is delivering an infodump or soliloquy, I just assume that they're thinking to themselves rather than speaking aloud unless the story calls for them to be overheard at some point. I just assume there were some sort of weird editorial fiats about how/when thought bubbles got used versus speech bubbles. (I can easily see the latter being perceived as "more dynamic" even if they don't make narrative sense, for the same reason every sentence ended with an exclamation mark for like twenty years.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"And some people have LOTS of pictures!
Perfectly arranged.
All on the same wall.
As a shrine to my special friends.
They just don't know how special they are just yet
And if you ever find that room I'll kill you"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

V...- Comics #1 (1942)

The Twilight Zone #20 (1967)

What If? #34 (1982)

Xena: Warrior Princess #2 (1997)

Invader Zim #14 (2016)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 15, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

What’s the context here? (And is that supposed to be Susan Storm?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s the context here? (And is that supposed to be Susan Storm?)

When that came out Susan Storm wouldn't have been born yet during WW2 and was already engaged to Reed Richards by the time Captain America was defrosted.

Actually, she would have been a very small child at the oldest during WW2 when Fantastic Four #1 first came out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

When that came out Susan Storm wouldn't have been born yet during WW2 and was already engaged to Reed Richards by the time Captain America was defrosted.

Actually, she would have been a very small child at the oldest during WW2 when Fantastic Four #1 first came out.

The picture is from when the Avengers beat Magneto and had a pool party

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And it's not weird to have pictures of your friends. Large ones. In swimsuits. As a center piece of your room.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Excuse me I think you'll find the center-piece of the room is the American Flag

centered over the desk, anyway

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

I beleive this is from the Marvel Adventures continuity, where Sue & Reed aren't married and she joins the Avengers for a time. And apparently is friends with Steve. That's nice.

What issue is it from, Saoshyant?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's from Marvel Adventures Super Heroes (2010) #9.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Source: 2000AD, don't know what issue.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Darthemed posted:

What If? #34 (1982)

Ah, it's the first comic Ryan North ever read.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I want to know what Spider-Man thinks about Hegel.

Is he quoting Lectures on the Philosophy of History?

quote:

To him who looks upon the world rationally, the world in its turn presents a rational aspect. The relation is mutual.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

I want to know what Spider-Man thinks about Hegel.

Is he quoting Lectures on the Philosophy of History?

I can't remember where I grabbed this panel from about two and a half years ago, but I like it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pastry of the Year posted:

I can't remember where I grabbed this panel from about two and a half years ago, but I like it.

Realizing only now the similarities between Chidi Anagonye and Peter Parker.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The truth is after Spidey got hit in the head with that brick he's been in the bad place ever since

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lobok posted:

Realizing only now the similarities between Chidi Anagonye and Peter Parker.

William Jackson Harper would be an outrageously good Peter Parker.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

IYKK posted:

God 2000AD is such a mad wonderland.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't really have a funny panel

I just want to post somewhere that I am today years old when I finally 'got' Scott Free's name.

Thank you for your time.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

How Wonderful! posted:

God drat, you're right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

oriongates posted:

God drat, you're right.

He's got the abs for it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Iron Lung Man

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

How Wonderful! posted:

He'd also be a pretty great Reed Richards, IMO.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

IYKK posted:

It's #380

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From Justice League Odyssey #25. Dex-Starr has a particularly feline approach to messing up Darkseid's lab.

A cute little cameo in Stealth #6 (which is set in Detroit).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1317263276544241665?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Chinston Wurchill posted:

A cute little cameo in Stealth #6 (which is set in Detroit).

Sorry, who's this?