Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gonkish posted:

I've used JK's for years now. Solid, without being TOO over the top. There's even a patch to make it work with Dawn of Skyrim.

It's generally one of the most -- if not THE most -- well supported city overhaul mods on the Nexus. Tons of compatibility patches scattered around.

Sweet, I'm gonna check it out. What is "Dawn of Skyrim?" Also, any must-have texture mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They're good, but as time has progressed they've kind of been supplanted by or at least greatly improved upon by other mods like The Great City/Town of... and Cities of the North. The authors of Great Cities and Cities of the North are focusing on completely different areas so they're not stepping on each others' toes and there's a guy who basically does compatibility patches for everything for both mod sets.

Here's my current city/town setup:
  • JK's Skyrim (Whiterun, Windhelm, Solitude, Markarth, Riften | Riverwood, Dragonbridge, Ivarstead, Rorikstead | Falkreath, Morthal, Dawnstar, Winterhold, Skaal Village)
  • Greater Skaal Village (with JK's Skyrim patch)
  • Cities of the North - Dawnstar (with JK's Skyrim patch)
  • Cities of the North - Morthal (with JK's Skyrim patch)
  • Cities of the North - Winterhold (with JK's Skyrim patch)
  • The Great City of Solitude
  • The Great Town of Karthwasten
  • The Great Village of Old Hroldan
  • Old Hroldan Ruins (with Great Village patch)
  • The Great Town of Ivarstead
  • The Great Town of Shor's Stone
  • The Great Town of Mixwater Mill
  • Expanded Towns and Cities (Darkwater Crossing only)
  • Legendary Cities - Tes Arena - Skyrim Frontier Fortress
  • Imperial Stone-The Forts of Skyrim Redone
  • Oakwood (by Arthmoor)
  • Telengard (by Arthmoor)
  • Keld-Nar (by Arthmoor)
  • Whistling Mine (by Arthmoor)
  • Frostfield - Loreius Farm Settlement SSE
  • Settlements Expanded (with appropriate patches)

There's also a Great City of Dragon Bridge which is pretty good, but unfortunately there's no real good compatibility patches for it to make it work with JK's Skyrim so I had to mash together a homebrew patch based off The Great Cities of JK's North.

The dudes behind COTN and TGCs also have at least one more project each they're working on. Cities of the North - Falkreath is the last COTN overhaul planned. Meanwhile The Great Town of Kynesgrove seems to be the final one of the Great Cities planned as well, and the final one to at least fully replace Arthmoor's lovely town mods.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 10, 2020

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Those look really cool. Any idea if the teleport exit points from the Clockwork mod break under all the city overhauls?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

Those look really cool. Any idea if the teleport exit points from the Clockwork mod break under all the city overhauls?

I don't use Clockwork, so I don't know. The dude who does the patch collections for Cities of the North and The Great Cities has Clockwork patches included in them where applicable though, so it would probably be fine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of “cities” is the Forgotten City mod worth scoping out? I heard it’s good and while I have over 1,000 hours in Skyrim, those hours are all prior to The Witcher 3 coming out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of “cities” is the Forgotten City mod worth scoping out? I heard it’s good and while I have over 1,000 hours in Skyrim, those hours are all prior to The Witcher 3 coming out.

It's an okay quest that's mostly talking to people and solving a mystery. It's not a city you'll be returning to or anything

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nine-gear crow posted:

They're good, but as time has progressed they've kind of been supplanted by or at least greatly improved upon by other mods like The Great City/Town of... and Cities of the North. The authors of Great Cities and Cities of the North are focusing on completely different areas so they're not stepping on each others' toes and there's a guy who basically does compatibility patches for everything for both mod sets.

Here's my current city/town setup:

This is rad.Is there a go-to Raven Rock mode out there?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is rad.Is there a go-to Raven Rock mode out there?

For the three Solsthiem settlements the go-tos are Quaint Raven Rock, Better Tel Mythrin, and Greater Skaal Village. There might be others, but QRR is the one that's most recommended I think.

I should have put it and BTM on the list because I use them too, but I was focusing mostly on the overlaps with JK's Skyrim.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far I’m quite enjoying JKs work. It’s just vanilla enhanced, which is how I like it. I do wish I could find a good all in one texture replacer. I’m using aMidianborn for armor and weapons, but not sure what the go-to is for landscape, architecture, and smaller misc.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I prefer noble skyrim.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

I prefer noble skyrim.

Yeah, this is my go-to "replaces pretty much everything" choice, with the various RUSTIC WHATEVER mods added to taste.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agents are GO! posted:

I prefer noble skyrim.

Ok, I’ll check that out. I think I have it in my mods folder already but can’t remember what it did or replaced.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yeah, this is my go-to "replaces pretty much everything" choice, with the various RUSTIC WHATEVER mods added to taste.

I mostly dislike the rustic mods, I just mostly have a hodgepodge of retextures I like.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The other big Replaces Pretty Much Everything mod I'm familiar with is Skyrim Realistic Overhaul, which I think is only on moddb or somewhere other than Nexus.

They both look pretty nice to me but Noble Skyrim is a bit less of a pain in the rear end to install.

Also you probably want to use SMIM for better meshes for everything.

There's also a trillion little texture replacers for everything under the sun (including, I'm pretty sure, the sun), but if you're looking for one-and-done, either Noble Skyrim or Skyrim Realistic Overhaul will get you there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chaosapiant posted:

I thought it was a good, interesting story. I kind of stumbled into the mediocre ending due to some abilities from other mods and had to back up a little. There was some combat and exploring if you follow through to the good ending. However, the story is the main force of the mod.

I can say more but it's one I wouldn't want to just spoil.

There was a bug where the mod's music took over but there are published console commands that will stop it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought it was a good, interesting story. I kind of stumbled into the mediocre ending due to some abilities from other mods and had to back up a little. There was some combat and exploring if you follow through to the good ending. However, the story is the main force of the mod.

I can say more but it's one I wouldn't want to just spoil.

There was a bug where the mod's music took over but there are published console commands that will stop it.

The full stand alone remake of The Forgotten City is due out later this year, so I wonder if having its own or at least a better engine than what Skyrim was running on would facilitate better ending/story experience, especially since it's not having to compete with whatever the rest of your mod loadout is now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I forgot how good enderal is.
Is there anything I should know about forgotten stories?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lawman 0 posted:

I forgot how good enderal is.
Is there anything I should know about forgotten stories?

Entropy/psionic spells are harder to find and the bank no longer just has every single skill book for sale.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Better Tel Mythrin

There's an update file on the mod's page. Should I use that separately or overwrite the main file with it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

There's an update file on the mod's page. Should I use that separately or overwrite the main file with it?

I think you need the main file first and then overwrite it with the update because the main file has a BSA that’ll probably break a bunch of poo poo if you just use the update on its own.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there anything on the Creation Club that’s worth getting? I have like 2000 points I can blow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Is there anything on the Creation Club that’s worth getting? I have like 2000 points I can blow.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Creation_Club

This list has all the outright Bethesda-endorsed items on it, some of them are probably worth it if you have the points to blow anyway. The Creation Club armor sets always seemed pretty cool, especially the Alternative Armors sets imported from Elder Scrolls: Blades.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The Nix-hound one repeatedly crashed my game about 15 seconds after encountering said hound and the Wild Horses one made Whiterun into lag central even more than usual. Otherwise, they're not the worst, and obviously both of those were probably a 'Me' issue than a CC issue. The most annoying thing about them is the automatic quests always popping into your journal whenever you start a fresh save.

As far as quest mods go I also quite enjoyed VIGILANT when I played it, though it's pretty grim and needs a large content warning for pretty much everything which makes sense given it's all about Molag Bal and Lamae.

The best ending though, goddamn.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 12, 2020

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I am very happy to have discovered Wabberjack - finally a solution to getting a 100+ mods to work!

Unfortunately I can't find one that uses Frostfall except "Dungeons & Deviousness" that is ENTIRELY NSFW or home and full of encounters that go on for wayyyyyy to long. Ultimate Skyrim says it's not ready for Special Edition and Lexy's seems a nightmare that isn't on Wabberjack anymore.

Are there any other Wabberjack mods that make standing in the pouring rain something you shouldn't do? One with eating/drinking/sleeping requirements, even if they aren't hard leveled ones. Playing Skyrim without them seems too easy and immersion breaking now :(

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Comstar posted:

I am very happy to have discovered Wabberjack - finally a solution to getting a 100+ mods to work!

Unfortunately I can't find one that uses Frostfall except "Dungeons & Deviousness" that is ENTIRELY NSFW or home and full of encounters that go on for wayyyyyy to long. Ultimate Skyrim says it's not ready for Special Edition and Lexy's seems a nightmare that isn't on Wabberjack anymore.

Are there any other Wabberjack mods that make standing in the pouring rain something you shouldn't do? One with eating/drinking/sleeping requirements, even if they aren't hard leveled ones. Playing Skyrim without them seems too easy and immersion breaking now :(

You can generally add a few mods to wabbajack without breaking anything, find your favorite winter mod, and then throw that into Living Skyrim 2

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Forgotten Seasons!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agents are GO! posted:

Forgotten Seasons!

What that is? Describe it!!!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

chaosapiant posted:

What that is? Describe it!!!

Sorry he forgot

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Sorry he forgot

Tis the season.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Forgotten Seasons is a Creation that adds Runoff Caverns, a large Dwemer ruin full of puzzles. It was released on December 6, 2018 for 1200 CC Credits.

The ruins feature sections themed after the four seasons: Spring's Symphony, Winter's Chimes, Summer's Chords, and Autumn's Bells. Within Vardnknd are powerful artifacts, such as a Dwarven horse (also called a vamidium), an arcane crown, a Dwarven drone fly, and others whose enchantments are based on the seasons.

This Creation was primarily made by Trainwiz, the author of many Skyrim quest mods. Other contributors include PrivateEye, Elianora, fadingsignal, and Kris Takahashi.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

drat, that sounds pretty bad rear end, I might grab that. Thanks for the write up!

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Holy crap... This mod, plus Combat/Archery Gameplay Overhaul makes a humongous improvement to the 3rd person camera and action.

My current loadout which is focused on improving the core gameplay loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N27tzxeQysU

All this using a Dualshock 4 controller. Makes for awesome chorded button combos which go great with Swift Potions for easy to reach restoratives in the heat of battle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Holy crap... This mod, plus Combat/Archery Gameplay Overhaul makes a humongous improvement to the 3rd person camera and action.

All this using a Dualshock 4 controller. Makes for awesome chorded button combos which go great with Swift Potions for easy to reach restoratives in the heat of battle.

I check the thread now and then, that looks neat, like skyrim got modded into a different game engine, even ignoring the floating number and healthbar combat the camera looks so wildly alien from vanilla skyrim to me.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 15, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I check the thread now and then, that looks neat, like skyrim got modded into a different game engine.

It's been the pet project of a group of modders working alone and sometimes in concert over the last few years to slowly try and turn Skyrim into Dark Souls, gameplay-wise. For better or worse, they've largely succeeded.

I think Combat Gameplay Overhaul strikes a good balance without going too overboard like the mods in the video show off.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm actually kinda tempted to reinstall and try Skyrim Souls. I figure it'd wear out its welcome cause it's not designed from the ground up to be Dark Souls... but it also looks cool. What is your loadout there?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I am half tempted to get the SE sometime it's on sale and finally do all those DLC I never did (never picked up hearthguard so I don't get a free SE)

After awhile the combat felt like swinging a pool noodle at a mannequin until it fell in a silly ragdoll while your own animations looked jerky and rooted you in place, but videos like that make me want to try it again (once I can find a good, giant mod list that is hard to mess up installing)

I also heavily avoided using third person because of the stiff animations, I assume all these mods are mainly for third person and don't really function as well in first?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 15, 2020

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Here's said mod list

I did some manual tweaks and edits here and there. Specifically to the hud and the improved xbox 360 control layout (moved sprint/roll to circle/B, FPS toggle to LS, removed tween menu altogether as I just use the LB shortcuts so I can have a dedicated lock on set to RS). The quick potions are bound via steam's controller config feature. But for the most part the gameplay is based on Ordinator and is content rich with the Legacy of the Dragonborn addon and other various dungeon expansions.

I basically want the ultimate action RPG that I can play on my couch :pcgaming1:

edit: regarding first person mode, it works just fine. in fact smoothcam actually enhances it also. I don't recommend dodge rolling a lot in that view tho :margeball:

Commie Lasorda fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 15, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

What are you using to lock-on and get the health bars / damage?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Floating Healthbars, Floating Damage, and Simple Lock-On

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Decided that I need to give special edition a shot since I never bothered with it.
What's a good modlist for a fresh playthrough these days?