Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/ArezouAmin/status/1316139383284785152

That also says that Kylo's the one that burned down Luke's temple, instead of Palpatine Force-Lightning'ing it during the Rise of Kylo Ren comic

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/ArezouAmin/status/1316139383284785152

That also says that Kylo's the one that burned down Luke's temple, instead of Palpatine Force-Lightning'ing it during the Rise of Kylo Ren comic

23, definitely the age that comes to mind when someone says "frightened child". Also lol that Luke's ghost ages like a living person.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Sorry, Ben attacked Luke because he was hearing voices and snapped? That's not how Luke and I remember it.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Why were there horses riding on the hull of that star destroyer? Was that the low point of all 9 movies?

No. It's a really cool concept that fits thematically, but in execution it's obviously something that was only filmed because someone liked the concept art and thought it'd make a good trailer shot.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Respect for pablo being blatantly 100% checked out but still collecting paychecks, with no end in sight. An inspiration to us all

Pablo's been checked out for years and it rules.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I really like the concept of people fighting on the hull of a giant spaceship. But the execution was terrible and kept begging the question of why doesn't another ship just shoot them. And, um, horses? Eh.

The real question is "Why not roll the ship."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ingmar terdman posted:

Because of the racism or what

It’s mainly a forced, clumsy catchphrase that makes absolutely no sense in context - but Rey and Leia randomly saying “wow, droids are great!” is also the ultimate dodge of the droid slavery issue.

And it’s in the movie where C3PO gets shat on harder than ever.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

OctoberCountry posted:

No. It's a really cool concept that fits thematically, but in execution it's obviously something that was only filmed because someone liked the concept art and thought it'd make a good trailer shot.

“I'm putting in a chase sequence. So the killer flees on horseback with the girl, the cop's after them on a motorcycle and it's like a battle between motors and horses, like technology vs. horse.”

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Never underestimate a droid!” is absolutely worse.

Around droids?

No, Avoid!

-Jedi Master Wyatt Mann

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

OctoberCountry posted:

It didn't even come from concept art. Abrams and Terrio just jotted down a list of things they wanted to see in a Star War, and one of them was the horseback charge. They specifically recalled the the High Tech vs Low Tech theme from Endor and wanted to do something like that, incorporating imagery from the westerns of the franchise's roots.

Of course, they also say that when they came up with the idea there wasn't a specific place for it in the story, so they did just end up cramming it in there.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Once again the surpassing vision of terrio is let down by JJ. You hate to see it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I only saw Force Awakened and Rogue One once each and never saw the rest. I keep debating if there is any reason at all to bother going through the whole set even out of curiosity. I already know the basic events and it would be just to see how they actually played out in the movies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd say probably not. I enjoyed ep8 but I wouldn't consider it an essential part of the series, especially sandwiched as it is between 7 and 9. If you've seen Rogue One you're good to go, really

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rogue One makes a very good companion piece to the original hexalogy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I mean, at the risk of sticking my head in the lion’s mouth in this thread, The Last Jedi is a gorgeous movie, so if you enjoy movies on that level, you should at least give it a shot once.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It bothers me that Rey looks so much different in 8 and then has to go back to her TFA look/fighting weight in 9 so the Carrie Fisher footage will match.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I still think that TLJ and ROS are both direct sequels to TFA and you can choose your own episode 8

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Disney should keep true to the original EU and make some more movies with contradictory stories about how the Rebels got the Death Star plans.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Instead of having been "A Star Wars Story", a series of "A Death Star Plan Heist" movies. Would have been easy to make Solo also about stealing plans instead of whatever the gently caress it was.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
HYPERFUEL

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
legit one of the most cringe-worthy moments of solo

'no, the fuel situation you complained about in TLJ makes sense, LOOK!'

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I have trouble believing that they came up with the plot of Solo to address audience criticism of a movie which came out 6 months before it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Fuel 2: Hyperfuel

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

You cant shove food or medicine into the falcon I guess

e: reminds me that the girl they introduced in the final 20 minutes of the film now has to have a road trip with her estranged/possible(?) dad and the ex he just reconnected with. and the road trip is aboard the ex

but apparently this theory has been debunked, although I could have sworn it was officially said to be a wink

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 15, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

2house2fly posted:

I have trouble believing that they came up with the plot of Solo to address audience criticism of a movie which came out 6 months before it

you're right. solo had an entirely reasonable and normal production.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The stupidest part of Solo is when they say that the oilwell they need to steal from so they can make their space gasoline only exists beneath a totally unrelated drug mine. There's just this other, incredibly vital substance there, in a "fissue vent", that we have a small side operation on. Nope, can't get it anywhere else.

I guess theoretically it might be a special type of coaxium, since they describe it as "astatic", but I just find it hilarious that after decades of setup as to what spice and Kessel are, Disney balked at having him just be running drugs on the literally famous Kessel [drug] Run.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

e: reminds me that the girl they introduced in the final 20 minutes of the film now has to have a road trip with her estranged/possible(?) dad and the ex he just reconnected with. and the road trip is aboard the ex

but apparently this theory has been debunked, although I could have sworn it was officially said to be a wink

...what? We are still talking about Solo, right? No but really, what are you talking about here? Enfys Nest? That was the girl they introduced at the end of Solo, but they didn’t reference her dad at all, so I’m honestly trying to figure out what you’re talking about.

Is there some theory you’re referring to here that I’m not familiar with?

edit: Oh, unless you mean the girl at the end of TROS who is implied to be Lando’s kid. But, if you did, like, maybe you could have mentioned you were changing movie references? Since the topic was Solo? I dunno.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 15, 2020

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jewmanji posted:

Why were there horses riding on the hull of that star destroyer?

JJ liked the idea of aliens invading with horses in Krull?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

2house2fly posted:

They definitely inserted the stuff about Han's dice in order to explain why anyone gave a poo poo about them in TLJ, since the one scene in TFA that featured them was cut out of the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

galagazombie posted:

23, definitely the age that comes to mind when someone says "frightened child". Also lol that Luke's ghost ages like a living person.

The line is “I saw the eyes of a frightened boy who’s master betayed/abandoned him”

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

No Mods No Masters posted:

Rey's parents will matter again, snoke's ghost will have a role interchangeable with if he had lived in the first place, the arms sellers masterminding all star wars will quietly go in the memory hole, and the rebellion will be staffed up from 10 people to the original amount again offscreen. And so RIP star wars 8, killed effortlessly by JJ being a hack

Just reading through the thread backlog from the beginning out of boredom and wanted to call attention to this very good accurate RoS prediction post from 2018.

Reading all the RoS discussion stuff from a year before it was released is way funnier when you know how stupid it actually turned out to be.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

The Little Death posted:

The stupidest part of Solo is when they say that the oilwell they need to steal from so they can make their space gasoline only exists beneath a totally unrelated drug mine. There's just this other, incredibly vital substance there, in a "fissue vent", that we have a small side operation on. Nope, can't get it anywhere else.

Solo does a lot of work trying to get around the fact that A New Hope implies Han was a drug smuggler, because Disney Han Solo had to be a nice person all along. He's not smuggling drugs from the drug mine planet, it was just fuel they also have there too! He didn't even touch the drugs, honest!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Stealing fuel from the drugs planet is hilarious, tbf.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Every time Disney comes out with a new piece for their nu-Expanded Universe, it just makes me miss the old one more.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
There's absolutely no difference in quality between the old EU and the disney EU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
disney's just speedrunning the eu. the disney one is sadder because they had the 'story group' whereas the old eu was a hodgepodge of whatever ideas nerds came up with

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Is Han even a smuggler in Solo? Or is he just stealing stuff? Like, I don't know, that seems worse to me.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Angry Salami posted:

Is Han even a smuggler in Solo? Or is he just stealing stuff? Like, I don't know, that seems worse to me.

Not sure Disney even knows what a smuggler is. Seems to involve doing heists and picking locks (Poe) for some reason.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He kiiiiind of smuggled the fuel into the crime boss's lair, but he was supposed to bring it there and pretended he hadn't, so it probably doesn't count as smuggling

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'll admit it; I was ready to buy that Star Wars: Fascinating Facts book based entirely on a clickbait story that revealed in Lucas's original sequel plans, he was also going to kill off Luke in Episode VIII. Like even if there were a few more nuggets of "what was Lucas going to do with the ST" it would have been worth $10 to me.

Of all of the loving ways to not make money, this book is not available as an ebook. Hardcopy only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

OctoberCountry posted:

There's absolutely no difference in quality between the old EU and the disney EU

The best of the old EU is way better than the best of the new EU.