Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I died and went to Anime Heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

One more

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

x

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
spoop soop

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
spoooop

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

a

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kvlULMBQ8

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Whats good airing this season?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

turn-a gundam

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jerma985 - The Rat Movie

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

K-on

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well, you might want to look at the seasonal thread here for what's new and hot airing in Fall 2020, but off the top of my head:

• Adachi to Shimamura apparently is shaping up to be a decent adaptation of a good shoujo ai Light Novel.
  • Apparently the new joint by the two main Danganronpa guys, Akudama Drive, is fairly good, if completely batty.
  • Dragon Quest: Dai's Big Adventure is an anime adaptation of an old-rear end manga that was inspired by the hit Square Enix franchise of rpg's. It looks good so far.
  • Jujutsu Kaisen is an adaptation of one of Weekly Shounen Jump's hot properties they acquired in the last two years and the two episodes so far have been an absolute hoot. ED song will absolutely slap all kinds of funk in your body.
  • Love Live 3 has gotten a warm reception and even its own thread.
  • Haikyuu!! To THE MOTHERFUCKING TOP!! The volleyboys are back. The best shounen sports manga and probably the best sports anime this side of Girls und Panzer.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the live action adaptation of horror news that is currently airing, now that's some sick poo poo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

anime.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
genius

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I dunno. I keep hearing this is the year anime died, and Vtubers took over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is loving rad

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So random question:

Rewatching MHA and the two people who smoke are villains, Twice and Giran. Has there been a good guy who smoked in anything made recently?

I don't even know if Sanji still smokes in current OP, let alone protagonists from works made in the last 5-10 years.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

So random question:

Rewatching MHA and the two people who smoke are villains, Twice and Giran. Has there been a good guy who smoked in anything made recently?

I don't even know if Sanji still smokes in current OP, let alone protagonists from works made in the last 5-10 years.

Keith in B: the Beginning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So random question:

Sanji still smokes, though it's mostly grandfathered in.

There's a few instances, mostly seinen or stuff aimed at a slightly older crowd. Off the top of my head, the second Lockon in Gundam 00 is a smoker, though that's stretching 'recently' a bit. There's a few instances in the Origin of Char smoking, though Char isn't exactly a 'good guy' even if he's the protagonist of those, and he's also a decades old character even if Origin is recent. A lot of seinen manga has smoking main characters but those are, as stated, aimed at olds.

The Japanese view of smoking has become a lot more negative over time, they've implemented stricter laws about where and when you can smoke, and the smoking rate has fallen pretty drastically in the last decade or two. In 2000, literally half the adult male population smoked, at 50.1%. These days, it's 27%. For comparison, in the US it's about 18% of men who smoke, so while Japan still has noticeably more smokers it's not a drastic gap, and Japan's rate is still falling while the US's holds steady.

There's no rule against it, but with all that in mind you're way less likely to see a protagonist who smokes, or it depicted as a cool thing in something aimed at kids.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh wait, there's Kairi in Fate/Apocrypha, forgot that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

The Japanese view of smoking has become a lot more negative over time, they've implemented stricter laws about where and when you can smoke, and the smoking rate has fallen pretty drastically in the last decade or two. In 2000, literally half the adult male population smoked, at 50.1%. These days, it's 27%. For comparison, in the US it's about 18% of men who smoke, so while Japan still has noticeably more smokers it's not a drastic gap, and Japan's rate is still falling while the US's holds steady.

There's no rule against it, but with all that in mind you're way less likely to see a protagonist who smokes, or it depicted as a cool thing in something aimed at kids.

Also, can't afford new otaku merch if you're chain smoking like Natsuki.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sanji still smokes, though it's mostly grandfathered in.

There's a few instances, mostly seinen or stuff aimed at a slightly older crowd. Off the top of my head, the second Lockon in Gundam 00 is a smoker, though that's stretching 'recently' a bit. There's a few instances in the Origin of Char smoking, though Char isn't exactly a 'good guy' even if he's the protagonist of those, and he's also a decades old character even if Origin is recent. A lot of seinen manga has smoking main characters but those are, as stated, aimed at olds.

Yeah I figured it was something like that. I've always just found the topic of smoking in fiction pretty fascinating. I remember vividly first reading King's IT where a large part of the novel is set in the 50s and it wasn't just the evil murderous bullies who smoked, the protagonists, the 12-year-old Losers, also smoked. And not tucked away hidden in some bathroom, they just lit up in broad daylight on a street. This is bizarro land to me having grown up in the 90s and early 2000s with DARE and stuff everywhere.

There's also a gendered element to it I was surprised to hear about. You've played Persona 2 I think? I wondered if the reason they never showed Ulala smoking in EP when she became a party member even though Baofu has a smoking victory animation and Ulala's noted to be a huge chain smoker in IS is some weird "but she's a girl so we can't show that." But I was told Japan doesn't have the "smoking is a masculine thing" idea we have here and I think I even read that Japanese women smoke more than men....? Like it was a notable statistical fact they smoked a lot, at least once upon a time.

But yeah, thanks for the replies. It's a neat topic to me.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 15, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The P2 thing is probably more because Baofu's a (mostly) new character so his smoking serves as characterization for him, and they didn't want two party members to overlap in terms of obvious visual shorthand?

'Smoke more than men' definitely isn't true, the smoking rate for women has always hovered around 10%-15%, but it's not like there's any taboo against depicting women smoking either. The mysterious kitsune (either literal kitsune or, 'magical trickster that is obviously playing off that trope') lady with a pipe is pretty common and there's also relatively recent stuff like Touko in Kara no Kyoukai, and plenty of random put upon unmarried female teacher characters who smoke.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 15, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If shounen protagonists smoked it would usually be underaged. IDK if there's an explicit rule against depicting that (thinking of the time they censored Jotaro's cigarette) but I imagine it's frowned upon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!) also smokes. He also is shown using a ziploc bag to deposit the butts of used cigarettes, which I think it was like the first time I remember seeing that on an anime back in 2010.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

NikkolasKing posted:

So random question:

Absolutely everyone in Black Lagoon.

For a tenunous interpretation of good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Meme from the Monogatari franchise uses an unlit cigarette and Nisio, being the insufferable smug smartass git that he is, even drops knowledge on how it'd be a pain if it was lit due to "Well, if we get an anime, this would be kinda get us on how water, wouldn't it?".

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you branch out a bit, smoking is fairly common in BL manga (which is also aimed at an entirely different audience) because it's still kind of a visually sexy thing and you can do stuff to make connections between characters -- for instance the "light a cigarette from the other character's lit cigarette" scene that's used to build sexual tension and serves as a kiss substitute . It's a small plot device element I imagine will linger for a while yet although one thing that happens commonly is a character who starts out smoking will quit by the end.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:popeye: A pleasant surprise

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1316766544089800704?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

NikkolasKing posted:

Has there been a good guy who smoked in anything made recently?

Jean from ACCA 13

https://i.imgur.com/m6jBN5Z.gifv

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

for instance the "light a cigarette from the other character's lit cigarette" scene that's used to build sexual tension and serves as a kiss substitute .

Lol I didn’t know this was a common thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Lol I didn’t know this was a common thing

requires that both characters smoke so you see it more with some types of stories than others, like stuff with yakuza characters or older salarymen, hosts, etc. that sort of setting.

also put to very good use if there's some antagonism between the characters, like I'm not familiar enough with those Hypmic characters I posted the gif of to say if that's for sure their relationship (antagonistic I mean) but just my surface impression is that they have that sort of push-pull tension between them and the cigarette "kiss" was pretty effective fanservice.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 15, 2020