Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Took me a while for my brains not to see KISS.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I bet someone has this tattooed on them.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Who was this product meant for?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

Who was this product meant for?

I see this is your first time seeing a Big Dog T Shirt

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember there were dedicated Big Dog stores

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I see this is your first time seeing a Big Dog T Shirt

It is! My question stands

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

oh my god

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

We have such sights to show you :cenobite:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I buy and sell old magazines on ebay, and it's like there's a line in mid-late '96 where all the teen girl magazines suddenly became nothing but cover to cover "SPICEGIRLSSPICEGIRLSSPICEGIRLSSPICEGIRLSSPICEGIRLSSPICEGIRLS!"

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Empress Brosephine posted:

I remember there were dedicated Big Dog stores

The outlet mall in my hometown had one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same, in New hampshire

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

Frame it in a gallery.

The only conspiracy theory I actually believe in a hundred and one percent is that those costumes they had made for Sonic and Crash Bandicoot promotions still exist somewhere on this planet.

This fuckin' thing:

It's still out there somewhere.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Imagine trying to up-shift in those shoes.

Edit: just noticed the training wheels lol

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Oh god, my parents made us stop at a Big Dogs Outlet on the way to my Aunt's wedding.

Why yes, that is where they picked out clothes for a 6-year-old to wear at his aunt's wedding.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Lotron posted:

Frame it in a gallery.

The only conspiracy theory I actually believe in a hundred and one percent is that those costumes they had made for Sonic and Crash Bandicoot promotions still exist somewhere on this planet.

This fuckin' thing:

It's still out there somewhere.

I think they made a new costume to use in viral marketing for the new Crash game.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Now, it might just because I was too young to remember the 80's all that well and wasn't alive at all in the 70's, but didn't it seem there was a glurge of Made for TV Movies/Miniseries in the 90's? Especially mid 90's?

These multi night events, like adaptations of The Odyssey, Merlin, Gulliver's Travels, Alice in Wonderland, etc. Lot of public domain works.

I know the 70's had Roots, and it actually WAS a Major TV EventTM, but it seems like most of these others just sort of fizzled and were never as epic as they claimed to be, and really could be crammed down to one night, maybe 2.5 hours, if they had less commercials.

Was there more then, or was it just that that was when I was paying the most attention/would have actually watched them? They definitely petered out in the 2000's, though, right? Since Prestige TV started becoming a thing, so rather than waste all those millions to get Movie Stars to be on your TV show just for ~4 hours, you can now convince them to do it for a whole series and it was no longer considered "slumming it" on TV.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now, it might just because I was too young to remember the 80's all that well and wasn't alive at all in the 70's, but didn't it seem there was a glurge of Made for TV Movies/Miniseries in the 90's? Especially mid 90's?

These multi night events, like adaptations of The Odyssey, Merlin, Gulliver's Travels, Alice in Wonderland, etc. Lot of public domain works.

I know the 70's had Roots, and it actually WAS a Major TV EventTM, but it seems like most of these others just sort of fizzled and were never as epic as they claimed to be, and really could be crammed down to one night, maybe 2.5 hours, if they had less commercials.

Was there more then, or was it just that that was when I was paying the most attention/would have actually watched them? They definitely petered out in the 2000's, though, right? Since Prestige TV started becoming a thing, so rather than waste all those millions to get Movie Stars to be on your TV show just for ~4 hours, you can now convince them to do it for a whole series and it was no longer considered "slumming it" on TV.

I definitely feel like there was. I remember my parents watching a Made-For-TV special of The Shining.

And there's this gem from Patrick Stewart that was in a made-for-TV movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFVuAW9q1SQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

This comes up a lot actually. We're very acclimated to modern TV, where you have scripted original programming every night, all year long. Up until the mid to late 90's, most programming on the major networks consisted of sports and movies. They all had a sitcom night, and a drama night, but everything else was a movie.

Thinking back upon the TV movie thing, in the 90's at least, most of them seemed to have filled roles that modern TV has mid-season replacements for, as I seem to recall them being winter and summer things.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I can’t say if there was a glut of them in the 90’s off hand, but I definitely remember made for TV movies still being done into the 00’s. Even places like Comedy Central did a few around 2002-2003, and I’m pretty sure the kids channels like Nickelodeon and Disney did a bunch of TV movies as well (Either stand alone works or stuff based on a series). A lot of them, and a lot of miniseries that would have been on networks previously, seemed to move first to regular cable. A&E had a ton, IIRC, and I know networks like TBS, TNT, and USA did some as well, and then places like HBO did a number of both made for TV movies and miniseries.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think those things still happen they've just moved to streaming?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I remember watching the IT miniseries in 6th grade (would have been 1990 or 91). It aired over 2 nights. I went out and bought the book the day after the first part aired, which started a Stephen King obsession over the next couple of years. I still have that paperback copy of IT.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

empty baggie posted:

I remember watching the IT miniseries in 6th grade (would have been 1990 or 91). It aired over 2 nights. I went out and bought the book the day after the first part aired, which started a Stephen King obsession over the next couple of years. I still have that paperback copy of IT.

Oh yeah, Stephen King mini series were huge then, too. It seemed like if it was either too long for a theatrical movie...or too crappy (or in the case of The Shining, cause King didn't like the OG movie version) it got a mini series.

It
The Stand
The Shining
The Tommyknockers
The Langoliers
Storm of the Century

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I liked the Nightmares and Dreamscapes one they did on TBS in the mid-00’s, which is half the reason I know miniseries kept going at least till like 2005 or so.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I am posting the most 90s things I can find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZOzKR7Pyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf_E5xtAKw

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I never watched IT at the time even though I was about the same age as the first goon above, grade 6 or 7.
I borrowed my friend's copy of it though. And forgot to give it back......... Still have it I think though it's quite tattered now. One thing that I remember dying to see but still never have is the Ken Burns documentary on baseball. I've always dug the really olde tymey baseballe. Was it as good as I can remember the commercials trying to make it seem?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Storm of the century scared me a lot when I was a kid. I remember one about there being like a fairy tell like kingdom in another universe that people traveled between. It was like a 6-10 part miniseries I'm thinking 99 or 2000.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Storm of the century scared me a lot when I was a kid. I remember one about there being like a fairy tell like kingdom in another universe that people traveled between. It was like a 6-10 part miniseries I'm thinking 99 or 2000.

The 10th kingdom?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

lobsterminator posted:

Took me a while for my brains not to see KISS.

Or a bunch of Kawaii Hitlers.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

One thing that I remember dying to see but still never have is the Ken Burns documentary on baseball. I've always dug the really olde tymey baseballe. Was it as good as I can remember the commercials trying to make it seem?

It's on PBS for free, I think, if you want to find out for yourself:

https://www.pbs.org/show/baseball/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only part of that Baseball doc i found interesting was the first part about early professional teams. About how Blacks and Whites would play together but then someone made it a think and the leagues became segregated.

Also the best ye olde timey baseball thing is Conan's bit (Yes I know this is from the early 2000s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS39vMhag-A

I watched the Civil War one too, but later on I found a bunch of the historians interviewed said their parts had been edited, altering the history. Specifically Eric Forner was not too happy about it.

This was posted in the Trump LOL Thread but gently caress this is 90s as gently caress.

Those shirts, such white trash with money clothes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My wife and I have had this on in the background this evening, some serious bangers in here.

https://youtu.be/-17PT-NJpF0

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

That was a great watch and I was not expecting there to be a performance of Suede’s Animal Nitrate in there that I hadn’t seen before! I like that the commercials are in there too, one of the things I’m looking forward to whenever my work opens back up is going into the periodicals archives to see some sick 90s ads :cool:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My wife and I have had this on in the background this evening, some serious bangers in here.

https://youtu.be/-17PT-NJpF0

Man every time I see Greg Gaffin sing live I can't believe how consistent and incredible of a voice he has. Just, extremely solid.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was one those random associations that led there too, she mentioned she was dissapointed the corner store stopped selling little debbie's, which made me think of Camel Walk by Southern Culture on the Skids. Then that video made me want to find old tapings of 120 minutes for more of those beautiful 90s music videos.

Edit: I never noticed at the time but the performance stage is totally the same studio they filmed The Grind at.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Oct 12, 2020

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was one those random associations that led there too, she mentioned she was dissapointed the corner store stopped selling little debbie's, which made me think of Camel Walk by Southern Culture on the Skids. Then that video made me want to find old tapings of 120 minutes for more of those beautiful 90s music videos.

Edit: I never noticed at the time but the performance stage is totally the same studio they filmed The Grind at.

There's a good assortment of 120 Minutes episodes (and other miscellaneous MTV recordings) in the VHS Vault section of the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22MTV

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Iron Crowned posted:

This comes up a lot actually. We're very acclimated to modern TV, where you have scripted original programming every night, all year long. Up until the mid to late 90's, most programming on the major networks consisted of sports and movies. They all had a sitcom night, and a drama night, but everything else was a movie.

This isn’t even close to true. From the 60s into the 90s, far, far more 30- and 60-minute dramas and sitcoms populated the big three networks’ airwaves than movies during prime time. Movies were the exception not the rule, until late night or special events.

The movies have survived in other formats; most of the TV series are lost to time, in most cases deservedly.

Source: am old, watched most of it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I can't tell you the number of times I saw this ad for Bonk's Adventure when reading comics in the early to mid 90's:

Never played it, or any Turbo Grafix 16 game for that matter, but drat if this ad doesn't make it look confusing as gently caress.

He's a...caveman? Who fights sort of dinosaurs, but also needs to save a dinosaur princess...then there's a tractor thing, and power flowers? Also he hits things with his head? Sure.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Everything in that Bonk ad is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DrBouvenstein posted:

He's a...caveman? Who fights sort of dinosaurs, but also needs to save a dinosaur princess...then there's a tractor thing, and power flowers? Also he hits things with his head? Sure.

That makes way more sense than Super Mario Bros.