Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Stuff like this is depressing, because no doubt resigning is the moral thing to do but I feel like Starmer has engineered this to clear out the front bench of left-wingers. Can't be accused of sacking them if they resign, so force the party to abstain on a vote that won't change anything but that nobody with any principles wants to abstain on.

Props to those who resign though, hopefully one day they can use that record to get back onto a decent left-wing front bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Borrovan posted:

e: should also have said, hope your teaching term starts well. I've been at it a couple of weeks already this year, the new intake here actually seem much more motivated and engaged than previous years (presumably because they're aware they're getting shafted & want to mitigate, but I'll take it)

That's very kind, it went well but after seeing them sitting in their rooms, and knowing that's what they have to do all day, I'm fuming about what's happening to them. They said they're overwhelmed already. No kidding.

Grey Hunter posted:

Boris Lied? Really?

I knew we were carrying on, but I do love the sound of another deadline flying past.

A day of imposing regional restrictions is a great way to muffle that sound.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Are midges not common across the uk?

They are like butterflies, everywhere a few decades ago, now rareish due to climate change.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jabby posted:

Stuff like this is depressing, because no doubt resigning is the moral thing to do but I feel like Starmer has engineered this to clear out the front bench of left-wingers. Can't be accused of sacking them if they resign, so force the party to abstain on a vote that won't change anything but that nobody with any principles wants to abstain on.

Props to those who resign though, hopefully one day they can use that record to get back onto a decent left-wing front bench.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1316711036372877314?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
This will of course be reported as STRONGK LEADERSHIP STARMAR and not chaos.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1316721874743721985

Rashford vs Boris, Round 2. Guess he'll be upgraded to OBE this time?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lmao Boris don't you remember how taking on a footie star and hungry children ended last time.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Saros posted:

Lmao Boris don't you remember how taking on a footie star and hungry children ended last time.

yes, that's why they made sure this time it's govt vs Man of the People (MBE)

they're going to try to Lineker him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol that the spy cops inquiry is finally going to start after the government make it legal with support from starmer

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1316721874743721985

Rashford vs Boris, Round 2. Guess he'll be upgraded to OBE this time?

"Here's an MBE for trying to stop us being awful."

"Are you going to stop being awful?"

"...No."

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Spangly A posted:

yes, that's why they made sure this time it's govt vs Man of the People (MBE)

they're going to try to Lineker him

It's not gonna work. They may have actually thought it would be enough to make him shut up and go away because none of them can actually imagine having principles or thinking children going hungry was bad.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
how stupid (and evil) do you have to be to do it a second time, let alone at Christmas with the whole tiny Tim/Scrooge angle

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Saros posted:

It's not gonna work. They may have actually thought it would be enough to make him shut up and go away because none of them can actually imagine having principles or thinking children going hungry was bad.

for sure, and I don't really believe the government conspired to knight him in order to hand an attack line to the papers who love honours and hate the existence of black people, it's just unnecessary

but those papers will definitely try it and all our racist fam will be talking about what a hypocrite marcus rashford (MBE) is to complain about poverty when he, himself, eats food

e; if this does go full Lineker and ends up with rashford opening up another charity to do something that's very clearly the government's job, then they'll start crowing about how the free market has a conscience and is therefore totally fine

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 15, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

XMNN posted:

how stupid (and evil) do you have to be to do it a second time, let alone at Christmas with the whole tiny Tim/Scrooge angle

edit - Barr Larry - though Larry is doing a piss poor job of keeping Vermin out of number 10.......

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

edit - Barr Larry - though Larry is doing a piss poor job of keeping Vermin out of number 10.......

larry is an aggressive shite who's more concerned with his affairs than his job, and is on the record about his planning a "solution" for the "mouse occupancy". Any actual work is done by his assistant, Freya. Very tory cat all round

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

It'll apparently cost the same amount as the eat out to help out scheme

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Spangly A posted:

for sure, and I don't really believe the government conspired to knight him in order to hand an attack line to the papers who love honours and hate the existence of black people, it's just unnecessary

but those papers will definitely try it and all our racist fam will be talking about what a hypocrite marcus rashford (MBE) is to complain about poverty when he, himself, eats food

e; if this does go full Lineker and ends up with rashford opening up another charity to do something that's very clearly the government's job, then they'll start crowing about how the free market has a conscience and is therefore totally fine

Someone close to him once said that Rashford doesn't want it to be public, but he spends an eye-watering amount of money on charity

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jonsnowC4/status/1316648212485279744

quote:

The targets of Leavers’ praise and anger surprised me. None of them attacked elitist Remainers. Many Leavers lauded European countries for their national pride or their childcare. They complained about the EU, but also wanted Britain to leave on good terms and keep co-operating with other countries rather than (in the words of a south-western Leaver) do “its own thing and yah boo sucks to everyone else”.

The bogeyman for Leavers is the benefit scrounger. People repeatedly echoed an age-old tabloid theme: immigrants come to Britain to live off its sumptuous state benefits. But Leavers were equally concerned about homegrown scroungers. “The English are feral,” lamented one woman in the West Midlands. “If you stubbed your toe, you got Disability Living Allowance for the rest of your life, and you don’t go to work.”

Leavers wondered why few young Britons had replaced immigrants as fruit pickers. Did youngsters nowadays just want to be vloggers and “influencers”? These complaints sounded more like generational incomprehension than generational conflict. Still, in Leaver rhetoric, disgust about contemporary Britain often overshadowed pride. It’s a disgust that Brexiter politicians cannot admit to publicly.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Basically Leavers are mainly bitter old cunts.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

who get all their information from the redtops

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

keep punching joe posted:

they're british?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's disappointing. Not surprising in the least. But disappointing.

If they were all bold nationalists who were fiercely proud of their country and spoke of its institutions and history with beaming pride, believing Britain was a shining beacon on the hill among the world, that'd be one thing. A loving deluded thing, but better in a way than being miserable loving cunts who don't even like their own lovely country they made lovely in their own image (and that of the tabloids) and they just want the rest of us as miserable as because that's just depressing.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Literally annoyed their own childern & grandchildern aren't doing backbreaking labour in the fields.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JoylessJester posted:

Literally annoyed their own childern & grandchildern aren't doing backbreaking labour in the fields.

They all fought in the war and died in the blitz though, so the least millennials could do to say thank you is pick the avocados they love oh so much then maybe they could buy a house and then when they've got a house they can go inside and call themselves any gender they like!!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I used to do backbreaking manual labour in the fields, and honestly I loved it, the fresh air, the exercise, the nature, it was great.

I liked it almost as much as I like being able to reliably pay rent & bills & eat regular meals that I didn't have to go steal

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Finally got round to watching Our Friends in the North and holy poo poo does that predict exactly what the Tories are doing right now back in 1996, once it gets deep into the politics bit. Well worth watching, even if they have no idea what to do with Daniel Craigs character after about episode 6.
Full things on youtube or I believe, Britbox (lol)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JoylessJester posted:

Are you kidding? I wish there were jobs like that around here right now. Working outside, getting exercise? Instead I have to go maybe catch a disease and die everyday for still tiny pay. Just lol at 'jobs working in fields' even being a thing that's common. It's all working in amazon warehouses now. No they haven't made sure the air con isn't spreading covid around and saturating the air, why do you ask?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of Britbox, I saw someone on Twitter say that apparently the new Spitting Image was originally commissioned while Corbyn was still leader, and that's why it's so directionless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1316747514595475461?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Are you kidding? I wish there were jobs like that around here right now. Working outside, getting exercise? Instead I have to go maybe catch a disease and die everyday for still tiny pay. Just lol at 'jobs working in fields' even being a thing that's common. It's all working in amazon warehouses now. No they haven't made sure the air con isn't spreading covid around and saturating the air, why do you ask?

Also, the issue is that the "working in fields" jobs have incredibly bad working conditions like having to live on site in a filthy caravan where you sleep on the floor with six other people. Some people are probably up for hard work outdoors, but no one's up for that poo poo unless they have absolutely no choice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They all fought in the war and died in the blitz though
I think that's why it's disappointing. I could handle, or at least get my head around, the kind of social-imperial attitude of some of the actual Greatest Generation, attitudes like "most parts of the world if you get sick they cast you out to die, but this is Britain, we value people here, we built the NHS and we used to build everything else, and as soon as we switch back to feet and inches we can be a global champion of industry making things that don't fit anywhere else" type stuff, but most of those people either died before the referendum or voted Remain. What I don't get is the Gammonest Generation "there's insufficient casting people out to die in this country, and we're softer for it." It's like distilled directionless spite. And then they cosplay the Greatest Generation.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I might be remembering incorrectly, but even before this Duffield has made negative comments about her CLP and the people that campaigned for her to win that seat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I might be remembering incorrectly, but even before this Duffield has made negative comments about her CLP and the people that campaigned for her to win that seat.

that was the day before i the vote i think

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1316751758870433792?s=20
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1316754082565062656?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

quote:

Both sides share certain hopes: above all, a return of power from Brussels and Westminster to Britain’s regions. “Take back control”, for many voters, means localism.

I'm glad that people are united around a thing that's never going to happen. Or possibly will happen in a "Here are more responsibilities for the region. No money! Only responsibilities" way

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LOL love this. Wish I lived in this country where you can get on DLA for a stubbed toe for life coz I've been self harming in the toilets at work to escape the pointless misery and boredom of it all and sure couldn't get on ESA or the like. I mean I probably could have if I was willing to fight hard enough but when you're crushingly depressed it's not really what you want to do.

loving fantasy world these cunts live in where life on benefits is easy Street, it's miserable.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The NatCen source is interesting too:

https://natcen.ac.uk/blog/the-legacy-and-future-of-brexit

https://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/latest-report/british-social-attitudes-37/post-brexit-public-policy.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFmTkuK2g0

The BSA report on social inequality itself - the material Kuper over at the FT appears to have had access to - isn't itself out yet

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Whelp.

https://twitter.com/JamesManuell/status/1314563198570377219?s=20

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
E: :arghfist:

https://twitter.com/JamesManuell/status/1314563198570377219?s=19

loving hell. This is just ridiculous

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wish the benefits system that existed in their heads was real.

Also this sounds amazing and I want to read it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao the only thing the tier change has done is cause all of my friend's pub bookings to be rearranged for an outside table, because that's allowed.