Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Also, if you happen to have the mirror pact active you can't actually mess with the mirror options you're denying yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

WhiteHowler posted:

Finally escaped on my 26th attempt!

Zag Fists (no upgrades) with Zeus Special and some Special/Dash-Upper boosters let me lay down excellent damage, and I got through Elysium and Styx with minimal effort. No, I never put a boon on Attack. Why do you ask?

The real star of the show though was Ares' call. I did a few single-segment casts to avoid damage, and a couple of full-bar casts to really wear down the boss' health pool after an invulnerability phase.

That was really rewarding. Game's good.

Ares' call is pretty handy for leveraging invulv to avoid damage. When you go all in on ares cast is where it shines, you can really crank up the damage with the ares' legendary that makes bladerifts stack bonus damage up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Digital Osmosis posted:

How can I tell when I've basically reached my max skill? I've gotten to the end boss maybe five times now, gotten him to his second life bar twice, but I feel like I've maxed out my meta-currency progression at the moment. I think there's a few mirror upgrades that seem okay, I guess, but I'm saving up my darkness for the third boon reroll. Out of titan's blood, although I suppose I could grind other currencies and trade them in for blood if I see the chance. I know the weapons reasonably well but don't have a clear favorite -- leaning towards the firsts (usually with Demeter on attack, though I guess I might try Dionysus) but I've also had decent runs with the bow and the rail. It's just that like, sometimes I sail through the first three biomes without much loss, sometimes I need to take Patroclus' death defiance regains, sometimes I take them and die to the Elysium boss anyway. I'm getting a little better at Styx, like dealing with poison and such, and a little better at learning the end boss' moves... but if I don't go into that fight with full Deaths Defiance I'm not sure how I can actually beat him, and I've never been able to go in with full Deaths Defiance.

I'm torn between wanting to turn on god mode and wanting to beat the boss on my own, but I'm worried my skill's plateaued and so much is dependent on the hammer upgrades I get.

Side note: I think I actually can't use the sword because of how quickly you need to smash attack. Hurts the hell out of my hands. I had the flurry upgrade for the sword twice, where you hold attack like with the fists, and it loving ruled... but there's no way to force or re-roll to get that and I don't really feel like giving up runs over and over until it's offered to me. Shame because I like the sword otherwise.

The mirror upgrades make a big, BIG difference, I'd concentrate on maxing out ALL of them before putting your points into the boon reroll. In fact there's no point in doing that anyway since you can re-distribute at any time for the cost of one key. And remember to check out the alternate versions of the skills - some of them are amazing.

Don't bother trying to grind for Titan's Blood until you've beaten the game once. It unlocks a new grinding source of blood, ambrosia, and diamonds. For now just focus on your best weapon and try to finish that initial run. There's no shame in turning on god mode if you feel like you're beating your head against the wall.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you feel like you're hitting a wall and haven't cleared yet, throw on God Mode. You can always turn it off later and no cost.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SettingSun posted:

If you feel like you're hitting a wall and haven't cleared yet, throw on God Mode. You can always turn it off later and no cost.

Yeah. The first clear is always the hardest. Ironically, once you can make the game harder, it gets easier, since your darkness skills are probably maxed and your weapons will be upgraded.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think there's a few mirror upgrades that seem okay, I guess, but I'm saving up my darkness for the third boon reroll.

What mirror options are you currently using?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That reminds me, the last 3 mirror upgrades are so minor that if anyone wants a free pip of heat, set a level of Routine Inspection. I would even say this is even better that Tight Deadline for being basically unnoticeable.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm over 150 escape attempts in and I have never seen a fishing spot in Chaos. Not even once.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

The entrance room that leads into Styx looks like it has another possible door.

There used to be one more hallway between leaving Elysium and entering the temple of Styx proper. Maybe you're thinking of that?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure it’s just background but it looks like it totally is another locked entrance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hunting Blades + Greater Recall :discourse:

Also if you're struggling with Guan Yu, I recommend going all in on the special and ignoring the spin crap

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do people just kinda work their way up forever, or settle at a certain heat or something?

I was working my way up slowly until about 19 Heat at which point I just said "screw it" and started my 32 Heat clear attempts. I'm hoping to get one with every weapon, but we'll see how doable it is. Now that I made it a few times, it definitely feels like doing anything less isn't me quite playing at my full potential, but it definitely goes wrong a lot and any higher heat might be nearly impossible at my skill level.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just tried Extreme Measures 4 for the first time not having any idea what to expect... and cleared it the first try!

I had a really busted build, but what's scary is it could've been even stupider since I didn't get a second status to triggered Privileged Status, the explosion on 10 stacks, or Quick Reload.

I initially started the run leaning into +250% Hellfire and Artemis for gigantic explosions, but then Demeter kept showing up and I couldn't turn down having 15 crystal beams on the screen at the same time.

God gauge builds off how often you hit enemies, not the actual amount of damage you do (as far as I can tell) so I was turbocharging Artemis's call. I think I got Greater Call off 3 times in that fight.

Also, not that it matters except for Hoarding Slash, but I went into the EM4 fight with 440 gold and came out with 1060.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Lord_Magmar posted:

They [Chaos fishing spots] give Titan Blood/Diamonds and such

No, they give Darkness (100 / 250 / 500 depending on which fish you get). It's the fishing spots after the final boss that give out Diamonds / Ambrosia / Titan Blood.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Instant Grat posted:

No, they give Darkness (100 / 250 / 500 depending on which fish you get). It's the fishing spots after the final boss that give out Diamonds / Ambrosia / Titan Blood.

Wait really, I apologise profusely I thought they did. Maybe that was when they were introduced and the surface spots weren't erally available yet. Edit: Yeah they used to give Diamons/Ambrosia/Titan Blood and apparently this was changed with the surface being added.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 15, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I initially started the run leaning into +250% Hellfire and Artemis for gigantic explosions, but then Demeter kept showing up and I couldn't turn down having 15 crystal beams on the screen at the same time.

Crystal Beam with Stygian Soul, extra cast stones, and like any boon support is an absolute blast and I bet that build was ridiculous in action

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

That reminds me, the last 3 mirror upgrades are so minor that if anyone wants a free pip of heat, set a level of Routine Inspection. I would even say this is even better that Tight Deadline for being basically unnoticeable.

I don't know if I agree with this, I think boon rarity is pretty important - but I could be persuaded otherwise

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SettingSun posted:

Improved boon rarity is a huge power spike, and being able to reroll your results is how you get gamebreaking builds like the one I posted above. Without being able to reroll Artemis blessings for the requirements for Fully Loaded, that build is 66% less powerful.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I stand by what I said. They’re great of course. But I never missed them when I took them off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Improved boon rarity is a huge power spike, and being able to reroll your results is how you get gamebreaking builds like the one I posted above. Without being able to reroll Artemis blessings for the requirements for Fully Loaded, that build is 66% less powerful.

Yeah, have to agree, I found Routine Inspection a huge pain the one time I tried it. At least you can get more rerolls from key rooms, but I still felt underpowered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I assume it does, but since I can't test it right now: does Poseidon Sword's special trigger the damage from Exit Wounds?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The worst is still the trap one because the Asphodel lava suddenly becomes even more bullshit (never run that one with EM2.)

And the arrows in Elysium are basically one-shots.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I assume it does, but since I can't test it right now: does Poseidon Sword's special trigger the damage from Exit Wounds?

It does!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

GOTTEM

Hit my 32 heat. I struggled with this all day yesterday, then rejigged the heat a little bit and utterly demolished it. The run i had there could've probably been much higher in the 30s and still have been fine, but I'll settle for 32! Decided to go for a speedrun afterwards and got my time down to 13:07, so all in a all a good afternoon of Hades

God I love this game.

EDIT: oops. same pic twice - my bad

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm actually surprised that people are averse to Routine Inspection. I run it in all my heat runs now. I very rarely rerolled anything before and I still get plenty of rare boons.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean to each their own, but I'd rather have something like a bit of extra damage or health from the enemies or something any day. The bonus I get from those rarities and rerolls hugely eclipses that. There's plenty of times I've rerolled a pom into a hammer or double boon trial room.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I started running Forced Overtime pretty much as soon as I needed that much heat and have kept it on ever since, eventually my timing adjusted to the +20% movespeed and now it just feels like free heat.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The thing to remember with Routine Inspection is that it doesn't actually prevent rerolls -- you can still pull tokens from key rooms if you have the upgrade for it. I absolutely notice the difference in rarity unticking it and it certainly hurts not seeing Legendaries or Duos all the time if you fit the pre-reqs, but it's a pretty cost-effective 2 heat if you're trying to budget for 32 or something.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's not the worst but I wouldn't consider it "free heat".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eris rail and Gilgamesh fists have become my favorite weapons I think, with Chiron bow in a close second. God I just love them so much, they kill things so fast

I have yet to upgrade Hera bow or Beowulf shield though and what I've seen in videos of those looks absolutely hilarious so I'm looking forward to that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like every weapon except the spear: I've tried every aspect of it but I can never get it to feel good and end up just relying on casts.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Eris rail is absolutely bananas and without a doubt my favourite weapon. Chiron bow close second, with the middle two fists in joint third.

Hera bow is growing on me, but I still find cast weapons a little awkward.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I agree that play style affects what someone might consider difficult in regard to pact choice. For me, the gimmes are Tight Deadline, Routine Inspection, and Jury Summons. I mess around with pacts all the time and I really don't notice the difference when I have RI1 on or off. :shrug:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I'm listening to the soundtrack and I'm like "this Unseen Ones song slaps, where does it play?" and looked it up and :eyepop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My pitch for Gilgamesh fists:

If you ignore the maim mechanic entirely, you still have a pretty fast basic attack with 60 base damage per swing and two extra dash charges. It's already fantastic. But I also think maim is better than it sounds. It's sort of like doom but you can't boost the damage and it also makes you deal 25% more damage to the enemy while it's applied. The downside is that the enemy gets to deal 50% more damage to you, which is nasty, but there are a ton of ways to offset that. The easiest is Aphrodite special so you're applying weak any time you're applying maim (and with a little extra boon support you can almost entirely counteract the bonus damage that way). There's also the Colossus Knuckle hammer upgrade that makes you sturdy while you're attacking or using your special, or Athena attack letting you deflect while you're swinging, etc.

It's just a crazy good weapon all around. Maim seems like the risk/reward ratio is all hosed up but with just a couple easy-to-get boons it's basically all reward, no risk.

Sydin posted:

I like every weapon except the spear: I've tried every aspect of it but I can never get it to feel good and end up just relying on casts.

The one good non-cast build I've had with the spear was a dash attack build with Achilles aspect. I got the hammer that makes your dash attack hit twice and Artemis on attack and just kind of went nuts special-charging and dash attacking around.

Haven't been able to make those stars align again since, though :v:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Is the 10,000 foes slainfor Ares retroactive or from when you get the prophecy?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

OhFunny posted:

Is the 10,000 foes slainfor Ares retroactive or from when you get the prophecy?

when I finally got it my count was already at like 2x more than I needed for it so I just grabbed his keepsake and when I talked to him it completed immediately

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I can't make it to the end of Elysium under 9 minutes no matter what I do, which precludes a time under 10 minutes. What am I missing, is there some trick? Tartarus usually eats 2-3 minutes (or slightly more), then 2:30 or so on Asphodel, then the rest is Elysium.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 15, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay stupid time question:

Gods legacy or Gods Pride?

On the same topic, Dark Foresight or Olympian favour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My last run was weird.

Spear that acted like a shield. The special bounced from enemy to enemy. That was the first hammer, second added bounces. Also had bonus damage and knockback. It was probably my strangest run. Just specialing the spear over and over. At least the tunnels were easy.