Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/arobertlong/status/1306422159594549248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

chaosbreather posted:

There are 2.5 billion active Facebook accounts. All of these fuckers have accounts. They just don't want to be held responsible for their conduct, just like the type of person who is scared away by the :tenbux: entry fee here. If VR is just 4chan it dies on the vine.

Sometimes people with a bunch of crazy right wing family on Facebook have a drat good reason not to want any real information of theirs available. Or employers.

Sorry you said the word union, your dumb rear end is never working again gg.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AMVR grips fit on the Quest 2 controllers, in case anyone's not done spending money this week.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not wanting to be FB PR, but it seems they are finally acknowledging the issue and are starting to fix it

https://twitter.com/OculusSupport/status/1316578427844034561
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jbm0h6/fb_account_disabled_fixed/

Then again you also have this case, where he said gently caress Facebook! and got banned losing his games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jbfykr/update_to_new_quest_2_fb_account_instantly/

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AzureSkys posted:

Star Shelter is on sale for $10 and looks kinda fun. https://store.steampowered.com/app/698260/Star_Shelter/
Anyone try it yet?

And, I still can't get VRDesktop to play well. It's still very jittery and blurry compared to using Link. It is really noticeable, though, in how better it feels not having a wire while playing stuff. I tend to physically turn my direction way more than using directional control so I get twisted up in the cable often. I'm due to upgrade my PC so I'm hoping that'll help, though the newer laptop I'm trying out now has a new i7 and 2070 and runs slightly better than my PC with VRdesktop.

I've played it and it's OK, probably worth $10 if you like survival crafting games but it gets repetitive fairly quickly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to re-ask in case anyone knows: Is there a way to get rid of the dumb "Hey! Use your hands!!" menu item after you've tried it? It seems to live on in perpetuity, even if I've enabled hand tracking.

Turin Turambar posted:

Then again you also have this case, where he said gently caress Facebook! and got banned losing his games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jbfykr/update_to_new_quest_2_fb_account_instantly/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PutDffido

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

There are 2.5 billion active Facebook accounts. All of these fuckers have accounts. They just don't want to be held responsible for their conduct, just like the type of person who is scared away by the :tenbux: entry fee here. If VR is just 4chan it dies on the vine.

Not wanting your online personality tied to your real name, family, and friends is a lot more complex than "they just don't want to be held responsible for their conduct." Why isn't your SA name your real name? Why don't you put your street address on every post?

Maybe you're gay and you're not out to your real life folks, but you are out to your online folks because that is how you're processing? Substitute trans, same thing. Maybe you are struggling with mental health issues and you don't want your real life people to know? Maybe you're dealing with abuse?

Like, think about the topic for more than 15 seconds and it becomes painfully obvious why the entire internet is not authenticated using your social security number.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

^^^^^

Your online activity in Quest uses whatever name you specify, not your Facebook name and none of the reasons you've listed justify being allowed to troll people to the extent that your account gets banned.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

blunt posted:

^^^^^

Your online activity in Quest uses whatever name you specify, not your Facebook name and none of the reasons you've listed justify being allowed to troll people to the extent that your account gets banned.

Ah, my bad. I didn't know that. That's a pretty significant change from their policy of using your real name everywhere. Thanks for the correction. Do they do any links from your gaming to your real life account, like advertise to friends and family what games your playing? If you want to connect with someone online, do they friend you using FB or is there a different "gamertag" they friend you by?

I think, in general, it's way too easy to accidentally link your online and your real life stuff. Doxxing is a thing for a reason. FB blurring that line isn't great. I've never had a FB account and I certainly wouldn't create one for VR.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Internet Explorer posted:

Do they do any links from your gaming to your real life account, like advertise to friends and family what games your playing?

No. They're disconnected to the extent that they will keep trying to get you to buy a Quest in dedicated FB ad units even after you register your unit.

quote:

If you want to connect with someone online, do they friend you using FB or is there a different "gamertag" they friend you by?

Oculus name, like a Steam name. You can invite your FB friends to connect via Oculus, like you can on Steam.

quote:

I've never had a FB account and I certainly wouldn't create one for VR.

That's fine. There are lots of reasons to not want to do business with FB.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can choose how connected your FB account is to Oculus, but the default is "Not connected at all". I've seen a few people with FB stuff in their Oculus profile but you have to actively add that.

It does grab your FB profile pic for default Oculus profile if you don't choose anything, which is lovely but that's a quick change.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lockback posted:

It does grab your FB profile pic for default Oculus profile if you don't choose anything, which is lovely but that's a quick change.

I thought they stopped that. Maybe it's pending. It's not a popular behaviour internally AFAIK.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks all for the clarification. Sorry for coming on strong with OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm fine with banning people from a specific game for trolling, but banning your entire account effectively bricks your device and takes away all of your purchases and that's not ok, especially since it looks like you have basically 0 chance of getting a human to review your case after getting banned.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm fine with banning people from a specific game for trolling, but banning your entire account effectively bricks your device and takes away all of your purchases and that's not ok, especially since it looks like you have basically 0 chance of getting a human to review your case after getting banned.

And it's important to be clear that the problem isn't people's accounts being banned for trolling, it's people's accounts being banned because they aren't willing or able to provide enough personally identifying information to Facebook. You should not be required to provide photo ID to be allowed to use a piece of consumer hardware.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Subjunctive posted:

I thought they stopped that. Maybe it's pending. It's not a popular behaviour internally AFAIK.

Oh maybe! It did it for me a while ago and I forgot to change it since I only played online with friends. Started playing more poker and had people comment how cute my daughter was. Thanks but NOPE.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apparently there is also a crowdfunding campaign raising money to add to this bounty

People are serious about de-facebooking this thing lol

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

And it's important to be clear that the problem isn't people's accounts being banned for trolling, it's people's accounts being banned because they aren't willing or able to provide enough personally identifying information to Facebook. You should not be required to provide photo ID to be allowed to use a piece of consumer hardware.

We're talking about two similar but different things. This was specifically about the new Oculus T&C that allow banning for trolling.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blunt posted:

We're talking about two similar but different things. This was specifically about the new Oculus T&C that allow banning for trolling.

With the caveat that I know we're talking about Facebook who is the last company that I'd trust to implement this sort of thing effectively and authentically, the language from https://support.oculus.com/1694069410806625/ is:

quote:

Oculus users come from many different backgrounds, so make sure that your conduct (as well as any content created or shared) is appropriate for a diverse audience and does not violate the Community Standards. Do not:

Harass or bully other users through conduct, including:

Stalking or repeatedly following others against their wishes
Cornering, blocking normal movement, physically intimidating or invading personal space without consent
Encouraging intimidation or bullying of others, including threats to SWAT, hack, dox, or DDOS.

Conduct yourself in an offensive or abusive way, including:

Touching someone in a sexual way or making sexual gestures.
Sexualizing minors in any way. In cases of sexual exploitation of children, we report content to the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children.
Supporting or representing hateful ideologies or groups by using symbols or attacking people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, caste, sex, gender, gender identity, and serious disease or disability.

Honestly, this is a huge looming problem in social VR that hasn't gotten enough attention paid to it yet. I think a lot of people are treating it as "people are mean on the internet, that's life, deal with it," but not only is it I think a solvable problem, it's also way, way bigger of a deal in VR than it is over text (not that it's not a problem over text, just that it's potentially magnified many times over in VR). Being able to reach out and make someone severely physically uncomfortable is not something you can do in most mediums, but in VR you really truly can and it can be immensely hosed up. I think it's a huge cop out to just put these under the banner of "trolling" it can just be straight up sexual harassment verging on assault depending on the person being targeted. We can't sit here and be like "VR is really cool because of how it tricks your brain into accepting an alternative reality in a way no other medium is capable of" and simultaneously say "it's just trolling cmon haven't you been on the internet before? if it bothers you just log off"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I couldn't find Tetris Effect on Steam or Oculus and thought it was maybe PSVR exclusive but it's really only going to be on EGS?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Rape In Cyberspace was what, 30 years ago? This is unfortunately a necessary step, I think, to avoid having to ban bad actors whack-a-mole on individual apps. They don’t ban people from individual groups either, just the whole FB service.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

sigher posted:

So I couldn't find Tetris Effect on Steam or Oculus and thought it was maybe PSVR exclusive but it's really only going to be on EGS?

It is coming to MS Store in November but afaik exclusive to those two stores until summer 2021. Very disappointing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's a Quest only title on Oculus so you can't see it on the Oculus PC app for some dumb reason. PC is still EGS only.

It's been on the quest like almost all year?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 15, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

"Supporting or representing hateful ideologies or groups by using symbols or attacking people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, caste, sex, gender, gender identity, and serious disease or disability."

I love this one because it makes you think "yeah! ban those nazis!", when it will just end up being banning only the klan hood wearing worst of the worst, while simultaneously banning anyone who says they dislike fascism. Shrugging and saying "well we're being fair now, what do you want?"

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lol this game sounds like it has an *amazing* story of exclusivity contracts behind the scenes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I love this one because it makes you think "yeah! ban those nazis!", when it will just end up being banning only the klan hood wearing worst of the worst, while simultaneously banning anyone who says they dislike fascism. Shrugging and saying "well we're being fair now, what do you want?"

Yeah, exactly. Like if this was coming from a company that didn't single handedly turn all of our boomer parents into Q believing racism golems then we could have a useful discussion about where things should go in the future but this is so severely poisoned from the start that it's just like, gently caress

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

A mini review of Quest 2:

It's good.

The elite battery strap puts the comfort on par with Rift S.

The official Link cable is okay when it works. It kept disconnecting randomly for some reason.

Wireless streaming with Virtual Desktop is magical.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

iron buns posted:

Wireless streaming with Virtual Desktop is magical.

It is.
This is what I was talking about yesterday. 19-22ms. I could swear it was 26ms-30ms, with the Quest 1. Same router, same pc. And I have the bitrate at 90mbps.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 15, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Yeah, exactly. Like if this was coming from a company that didn't single handedly turn all of our boomer parents into Q believing racism golems then we could have a useful discussion about where things should go in the future but this is so severely poisoned from the start that it's just like, gently caress

Its kind of interesting to watch, the whole of silicon valley is gearing up for this, twitter, google, everyone. All these vaunted silicon valley CEO's, awash in a culture priding itself on freedom and the free expression that is the magic of the internet, for decades upon decades. The global marketplace of ideas, the "I may disagree with you sir but I respect your right to say it!", the internet that routes around censorship, all glory to it!

... decided to go "oh gently caress we gotta do something, shut it down!" the moment one too many people say "eat the rich".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will say, although I never disagreed with people's concerns about mandatory FB integration. I thought it was nbd and an overreaction. Even though it probably isn't actually a big deal for the majority of people, it definitely sucks and I hope that there are some great non Oculus upgrade options out there before 2023 because I don't think I want to buy from them again.

The main thing that has gotten me is that (even if it's rare) they'd have the audacity to block people from games they have paid actual money for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope that bounty goes through and you can :sever: your quest 2 (and maybe quest?) from facebook and keep using it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've read a few lists of "best VR games" and all the lists have left me with doubts so I'll just ask in here. What are the can't-miss VR experiences (SteamVR or Oculus)?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

I've read a few lists of "best VR games" and all the lists have left me with doubts so I'll just ask in here. What are the can't-miss VR experiences (SteamVR or Oculus)?

If you scroll waaaaay down the OP is actually basically the list of games I'd tell you.

Alyx, Superhot, Pistol Whip, Beat Saber, Payday 2, Tetris VR, REZ VR, ...

Dirt Rally 2 if you like cars, especially if you have a wheel or can get one

But definitely start with Pistol Whip and Superhot if you haven't done those yet

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

Echo Arena

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Lemming posted:

Facebook is definitely guilty of not moderating stuff good enough but you’re saying they shouldn’t have moderation tools?

Also I’ve noticed this sentiment - it’s all Facebook’s fault - a lot from Americans which means they’re letting Murdoch and the rest of the press off the hook. If the US had a functional news system that didn’t get all jacked up on 9/11, none of this would have happened in the first place. The press is the immune system of democracy. Facebook just unwittingly radicalised people by blindly maximising engagement, and that can happen anywhere and everywhere sufficiently large communities grow. There is nothing unwitting about what FOX news does.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I hope that bounty goes through and you can :sever: your quest 2 (and maybe quest?) from facebook and keep using it

Where's the crowd funding that's piling money on top of the original bounty for this? I want to see how much they've raised.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

veni veni veni posted:

The main thing that has gotten me is that (even if it's rare) they'd have the audacity to block people from games they have paid actual money for.

Imagine a future where your mum is hanging out with her friends on Horizon, making stuff, having a great time. Should an army of trolls be able to make her violently ill and traumatised with no consequences? Can such a system even survive the first attack? What you and others in this thread are advocating for is actually a society where terrorism is legal, or only results in being banned from the store that you attack, or a prison sentence of the next half hour.

gently caress just think about the shenanigans SA pulled in Second Life and how that made that entire platform commercially unviable to anyone who isn’t a sex worker.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I tried the Superhot Demo and it was hard as hell, but pretty cool. Echo Arena looks fun but also maybe vomit inducing with all the movement?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lmao how pathetic do you have to be to defend facebook, literally simping for a hypercapitalist surveillance state because maaaybe they'll ban some of the nazis they create

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

I tried the Superhot Demo and it was hard as hell, but pretty cool. Echo Arena looks fun but also maybe vomit inducing with all the movement?

In my experience Echo isn't so bad. It feels more like the world is moving around you, if that makes sense? You just kinda float there in zero-g. But different strokes for different folks.