Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How compatible is this with cases? I'm super tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll tell you in a few weeks when the phone / cables arrive ;)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Still not really buying it. Using a fullscreen app so we can't see the notification area and what else is running (could that person be on a call or another app using the sensor?) and what's with the holding of the top bezel for like 10 seconds in order to get a handful of blinks?

That's not too terribly uncommon for a lot of phones unfortunately and is highly dependent on a lot of things (for example, how heat soaked you had the device before you started recording.)

XDA said it took about 12 minutes to get the SoC to throttle which is pretty decent, but if you turned around and started recording 4k60 video after that, you might run into issues.

Hell, I had my OP8P tell me that functionality was reduced just browsing the internet in direct sunlight because it got too hot and that only took a few minutes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.kodular.borekbandell.Proximity_sensor_test

The person said they used this app to test the sensor and that the sensor constantly detected stuff unless you pressed up near the top corner of the device.

Apparently this might be software based for some people and not hardware as someone else used the app and said that the problem occurred outside of calls but not continuously.

Another has posted a video of it, but it's not during a call:

https://streamable.com/5bvp4a

Sucks to hear about the overheating issue... I did a 5min 4K vid yesterday and it was fine but it also wasn't too hot in the house

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

How compatible is this with cases? I'm super tempted.

These things only ever seem to do 5v/2a and only some transfer data FYI. Also HA

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charging-Cable%EF%BC%8CCompatible-Smartphone-iProduct/dp/B08CXW1R2P

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Pixel 3 is also fine from a phone perspective, but the battery life isn't there anymore, and I want the new camera stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jigoku posted:

These things only ever seem to do 5v/2a and only some transfer data FYI. Also HA

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charging-Cable%EF%BC%8CCompatible-Smartphone-iProduct/dp/B08CXW1R2P

Oh my god sold

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

So Best Buy is selling the S20 FE for $550 unlocked or $500 for carrier models. I happen to have $200 Best Buy bux and can’t see there being a better deal deal than this in the near future.

Brace for me complaining about this phone for the next two to three years if it survives the return window. I’m walking into the trap.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wait a sec, dumb question. This is the unlocked Pixel 5 I ordered off Amazon. Currently my service provider is Google Fi... does anyone know what I'll need to do to transfer service to the new phone?

When I upgraded from my Pixel 2 --> Pixel 3, I bought both straight from Google and IIRC both times they just handled everything and I just did some NFC setup / USB-tethered setup and I didn't need to do anything with sim cards or anything

(Ordering off Amazon this time to get 5% back with my credit card, instead of only 1% if I bought it straight from the horse instead)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The S20 FE really has me questioning how many SD865 SoC Samsung bought.

It will also be interesting to see if any issues stem from a 6 month inception to shelf development cycle.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I hate cases but I caved and bought one, as well as those magnetic USB ports to help protect my phone from my dumb rear end, as well as from all the lint in my pockets :shrug:

The guys who are really into proper USB C spec cables and hardware really hate those magnetic connectors and would claim them to be unsafe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UsbCHardware/comments/j8yyfp/can_someone_explain_to_me_the_specs_compliance/

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Well, never mind. I got on Sprint with that $25 a month plan. No way in hell I’m going to give that up to get this Samsung phone. Crisis averted, everyone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sab669 posted:

Wait a sec, dumb question. This is the unlocked Pixel 5 I ordered off Amazon. Currently my service provider is Google Fi... does anyone know what I'll need to do to transfer service to the new phone?

When I upgraded from my Pixel 2 --> Pixel 3, I bought both straight from Google and IIRC both times they just handled everything and I just did some NFC setup / USB-tethered setup and I didn't need to do anything with sim cards or anything

(Ordering off Amazon this time to get 5% back with my credit card, instead of only 1% if I bought it straight from the horse instead)

The P3 has an eSIM and the Google Fi app should be able to just activate it automatically when you log in, iirc.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jigoku posted:

Well, never mind. I got on Sprint with that $25 a month plan. No way in hell I’m going to give that up to get this Samsung phone. Crisis averted, everyone.

$25/mo plan? Sprint SERO still around? I was on that back in 2008 I think.

I'm ready for Fi to put up the 4a 5G.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Remember the posts I made about ordering via Google Store or Amazon? FedEx made that decision REAL quick for me.

They just lost the $500 TV I just ordered including the Chromecast with Google TV. Couldn't get a hold of them at all via phone, had to go to the nearest Walgreens drop off location to see and they gave me the number to FedEx's shipping location here who finally got me to a person (after 6 tries on the phone with the virtual calling that hung up on me after confirming I gave them the write tracking number). They opened a dispute while Walmart gave me a refund. It's more likely it's been stolen as I don't live in a good part of town and if they delivered to the wrong address, it's gone.

So yah, Amazon it is then. Why are FedEx drivers so bad?

Also, I finally found a review talking about the proximity sensor. Not surprisingly, it's from This Is Tech Today who's got the best review so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTvIUGEVtw&t=169s

Basically, yes the light is visible to the naked eye but the issue seems to be that it's going off a lot more than it should. Some see it as a software defect, some as hardware. No one's exactly sure. But not everyone is having this issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You want a fedex laugh, watch MKBHD's early look.

They lost his and he literally just got a replacement the day the embargo lifted.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 15, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You want a fedex laugh, watch MKBHD's early look.

They lost his and he literally just got a replacement the day the embargo lifted.

I don't think Walmart would do that for anyone...nor does it seem they have the capability to just deliver a replacement in less than a day. :v:

Though they're so ubiquitous where I am that who knows. They could probably send an employee to hand delivers stuff in their own car. But they'd pay them less than minimum wage to do it and make them pay for their own gas.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I got my Pixel 5 yesterday and had a quick play with it. Love it so for.

Coming from my S9+ the size is super refreshing. It's speedy and vanilla Android 11 is really nice.

Being in Aus, mine came with the basic usbc earbuds which basically are the same design as the basic Apple ear buds, which are actually quite impressive for a non in ear earbud.

Gonna wait for my case to come before I take it into the real world but super happy with the phone right now.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got the Google USB c buds a couple years ago. They're pretty comfortable and let in plenty of outside sounds, which was a plus for my use. The fit adjustment loops have yellowed a bit, though. I imagine that's not a problem on the fancy bluetooth ones since they use a different material for that part.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Remember the posts I made about ordering via Google Store or Amazon? FedEx made that decision REAL quick for me.

They just lost the $500 TV I just ordered including the Chromecast with Google TV. Couldn't get a hold of them at all via phone, had to go to the nearest Walgreens drop off location to see and they gave me the number to FedEx's shipping location here who finally got me to a person (after 6 tries on the phone with the virtual calling that hung up on me after confirming I gave them the write tracking number). They opened a dispute while Walmart gave me a refund. It's more likely it's been stolen as I don't live in a good part of town and if they delivered to the wrong address, it's gone.

So yah, Amazon it is then. Why are FedEx drivers so bad?

Also, I finally found a review talking about the proximity sensor. Not surprisingly, it's from This Is Tech Today who's got the best review so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTvIUGEVtw&t=169s

Basically, yes the light is visible to the naked eye but the issue seems to be that it's going off a lot more than it should. Some see it as a software defect, some as hardware. No one's exactly sure. But not everyone is having this issue.

I watched the FedEx man walk up to my gate with a prewritten note, placed the sticker, turned around, and walked back to the truck. I chased him down the street and grabbed him at his next stop to get my package. He was not happy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I watched the FedEx man walk up to my gate with a prewritten note, placed the sticker, turned around, and walked back to the truck. I chased him down the street and grabbed him at his next stop to get my package. He was not happy.

I've had to remind USPS workers of packages before, they never were upset and the worst I had from Amazon was they mixed up packages for my house to another woman's house down the street. He came right back and apologized.

I was going to order the fabric case from Google since I got the $10 from the first Chromecast+TV but I'd rather just spend it full price from Amazon. At least I have a higher chance of actually receiving the item.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm surprised they gave it to you. After they file it into the computer they'll usually tell you to gently caress off and pick it up tomorrow / redeliver it tomorrow.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I have a Pixel 2 XL and I'm interested in the Pixel 5, but the Samsung S20 FE 5G 128GB looks too good to pass up. Especially since I can abuse a special to get the S20 FE for half price compared to the Pixel 5. Also I'm not happy about the Pixel 5 having a speaker behind the screen,and it has a weaker processor. On the plus side the Pixel 5 has a fingerprint scanner on the back which I really like on the P2XL.

I'm kinda hesitant to use a non-Pixel phone though. Anyone got any thoughts the S20 FE vs Pixel 5?

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 16, 2020

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

salt shakeup posted:

I'm kinda hesitant to use a non-Pixel phone though. Anyone got any thoughts the S20 FE vs Pixel 5?

As someone who literally almost bought the FE this morning and was denied satisfaction, here is a frenzied list:

Positives:
Bigger screen
Bigger hz
Bigger CPU
Bigger battery (probably balances out with the above)
Bigger speakers
Telephoto camera
Possibly a better video camera
Microsoft Your Phone and Dex
Charges faster (doesn't come with a faster charger)
Samsung One UI - you may like it
If its on sale then it becomes an EXTREMELY good deal

Negatives:
Slower updates (people ITT said that Samsung is on parity with security updates but major android versions are 3-6 months behind. There's the beta program now at least) edit: desk lamp: carrier fuckery is also factor for when you receive updates
Comes with Android 10 (after 11 you only get up to 13)
Samsung UI - you may not like it
Samsung app bloat and useless features
Samsung ads for Samsung features
Carrier bloat
Bixby Button (there is an app to remap it)
Samsung camera algorithm - you may not like it (face smoothing, over saturation)
Phone is way bigger
In screen fingerprint scanner - it isn't as good as the Pixel back sensor but it is better than other S20s (updated for bull3964)

Questions:
Haptics? People seem to like the Pixel haptics but they aren't mentioned in FE reviews
Weird bugs?
How does a modded Google PX Camera apk work on it?
The phone had an extremely quick development cycle, so don't be surprised if something ain't right
This dumb blinky Pixel 5 proximity sensor thing going on right now (general consensus is don't buy a Pixel at launch, wait for the next batch - oh wait for these ones this may be the only batch!)

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 16, 2020

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Jigoku posted:

I want it... But only doing 5V charging seems pretty lame just for fun lights, along with that reddit post down thread.

After having played with it for a night this phone does feel great in the hand if so smol after coming from my S20+, drat the haptics are nice though. I havent decided if I really like or hate the way chat bubbles work, I've always been a big fan of Facebooks chat heads so that fact that this behaves slightly differently is really weird and taking some getting used to. The drop in sheer megapixels on the camera's is slightly noticeable, but the overall software package is MUCH better, and I had basically mastered using this sensor with my Pixel 2, so it's nice coming back to familiar form.

I'm not even sure Im going to get a case for this since the plastic does feel nicely durable, will be getting a screen protector though. But might even grab a Spigen or Otterbox just to throw it in if I'm going somewhere a bit more rugged.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, having an optical sensor instead of ultrasonic of the other S20s is a huge plus as far as biometrics go for the FE. The sooner Samsung ditches that sensor across the board, the better.

The P5, 8T, and FE are all great phones and I doubt you'll be really unhappy with any of them. Ignore the spec sheet and buy the one that you actually LIKE better.

There isn't a wrong choice in the bunch.

It honestly feels weird having three different phones all around the same price with slightly different takes and knowing I could live with any of them.

I like OnePlus software and I know their hardware is solid. I also know that sensor really isn't all that great (but they have managed to tune it a bit better since the 7 Pro launch.)

I like OneUI the least and I still bothers me to have things embedded in the OS that I wouldn't want to activate under any circumstances. However, you can ignore that stuff day to day. The cameras are decent but you may not have quite the level of success with any random shot, but on the whole, competitive. Design is colorful if a bit generic.

Pixel 5 is industrial design that's plain, but but also simple and distinctive. Pixel perks are genuinely useful and it seems like Google is wringing everything they can out of the components. Camera is still aces if a known quantity.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 16, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FogHelmut posted:

My Pixel 3 is also fine from a phone perspective, but the battery life isn't there anymore, and I want the new camera stuff.

Same here. I really wish we could get phones with LiFePo battery chemistry so that they would last for 2000 cycles.

At this point there isn't a whole lot about a new phone that really draws me on, and it's just the need to replace a failing battery that forces a refresh.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Better suited for the 'recommend a phone' thread. Ignore me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

salt shakeup posted:

I have a Pixel 2 XL and I'm interested in the Pixel 5, but the Samsung S20 FE 5G 128GB looks too good to pass up. Especially since I can abuse a special to get the S20 FE for half price compared to the Pixel 5. Also I'm not happy about the Pixel 5 having a speaker behind the screen,and it has a weaker processor. On the plus side the Pixel 5 has a fingerprint scanner on the back which I really like on the P2XL.

I mean, for half the price, if the size isn't a deal breaker the 20 FE should be fine. Because of the software optimization, they're going to be pretty similar despite the spec differences in soc and camera. Some software annoyances are definitely possible, especially since you're coming from a Pixel, but a few hundred bucks less should certainly help you feel better about it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know I've read the P5 is only produced in limited numbers, how limited is the green one? I dont want loving black.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Jigoku posted:

Negatives:
Slower updates (people ITT said that Samsung is on parity with security updates but major android versions are 3-6 months behind. There's the beta program now at least)
Comes with Android 10 (after 11 you only get up to 13)

When it comes to updates for your Galaxy the thing to watch out for is carrier fuckery. When and how the Pixels are updated is irrelevant.

quote:

Bixby Button (there is an app to remap it)

I haven't actually seen a Galaxy S20 FE in person, but I don't think they come with a Bixby button. I'm pretty sure that button is as dead as squeeze for Assistant on the Pixels.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

sourdough posted:

I mean, for half the price, if the size isn't a deal breaker the 20 FE should be fine. Because of the software optimization, they're going to be pretty similar despite the spec differences in soc and camera. Some software annoyances are definitely possible, especially since you're coming from a Pixel, but a few hundred bucks less should certainly help you feel better about it.

Thanks to you and the others who posted their thoughts, appreciated the feature breakdown by Jigoku!

Anyway I went to the store to look at them in person to see which I liked better. The S20 FE is pretty awesome, and the same size as my Pixel 2XL except the screen is bigger and it feels lighter/better in the hand. The Pixel 5 was nice but not impressive. I got the FE for about 400USD converted.

Edit 6 hours later:this phone is fkn sickkk

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 16, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

salt shakeup posted:

Anyway I went to the store to look at them in person to see which I liked better. The S20 FE is pretty awesome, and the same size as my Pixel 2XL except the screen is bigger and it feels lighter/better in the hand. The Pixel 5 was nice but not impressive. I got the FE for about 400USD converted.

If you told me Samsung was going to beat Oneplus at bringing top-end SoCs/screens to the midrange price point, I'd have laughed at you, but look at where we are now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

I know I've read the P5 is only produced in limited numbers, how limited is the green one? I dont want loving black.

No one knows exactly how many limited numbers, but Nikkei claims 800,000. That being said, it's sold out in some countries but I haven't heard of any delays due to supply yet. Granted, it hasn't come out in the US so who knows how insane October 29th will be (probably just as bad as other years, honestly).

No one knows how limited green is, but it's certainly the one most people want. I do know that the green fabric case is sold out on Amazon so if you have that in your order list, do not cancel it.

Amazon has been selling bundles of the phone PLUS the fabric case of your choice, but the green case combo is sold out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

If you told me Samsung was going to beat Oneplus at bringing top-end SoCs/screens to the midrange price point, I'd have laughed at you, but look at where we are now.

I'm nearly 100% certain that if the S20 FE wasn't a reactionary device, it would have been a SD765.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

salt shakeup posted:

The S20 FE is pretty awesome, and the same size as my Pixel 2XL except the screen is bigger and it feels lighter/better in the hand. The Pixel 5 was nice but not impressive. I got the FE for about 400USD converted.

Edit 6 hours later:this phone is fkn sickkk

400 bucks is a steal for that phone, congrats

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/16/google-pixel-5-review/

David Ruddock claims the 765G isn't good and that the phone is just not worth it.

However, literally every other person who's reviewed it says it's a good phone BUT it's way overpriced thanks to Verizon. Is it the BEST? No but it's also obvious Google isn't going to do high-spec'd phones anymore.

Basically, AP's just being whiny just because it's not super spec'd out like they want. He's even bitching about the face unlock being gone which I've heard exactly no one complain about.

Oh and then there's this suspicious guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2vcWj4_hA

He claims he's used the Pixel 5 for a month. Longer than anyone else. Who the hell is he? Who knows! But he also could easily be lying. Also the review is so Pro Google that it hurts my soul to watch. Even as someone who has owned Pixels and Nexuses for years (except that one time I had an LG Optimus V...I miss that phone sometimes). It's crazy.

I'm only including this because it's hilariously weird.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Face unlock, the hot new spec in the age of mask wearing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/16/google-pixel-5-review/

David Ruddock claims the 765G isn't good and that the phone is just not worth it.

However, literally every other person who's reviewed it says it's a good phone BUT it's way overpriced thanks to Verizon. Is it the BEST? No but it's also obvious Google isn't going to do high-spec'd phones anymore.

Basically, AP's just being whiny just because it's not super spec'd out like they want. He's even bitching about the face unlock being gone which I've heard exactly no one complain about.

Different reviewer, but the OP Nord review by AP calls it blistering fast no matter what you throw at it, ha. Ruddock also had the Pixel 4a performance as big positive. Just looking for the clicks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

He also says the hapics are downgraded when pretty much every reviewer has said the opposite.

Hell, this is direct from the XDA review.

quote:

I can’t talk about much more when it comes to the Google Pixel 5 at the moment, but I can mention the basic usage right out of the box. There are a few striking features to point out, such as the powerful haptics (as seen on previous Google smartphones) that feel as good as ever.

The S20 FE broke some reviewers and has really colored some reviews. I'm still convinced at this point though that Google could offer a SD875 with an 8 inch 240hz screen at $400 and people would be calling it overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

No one knows exactly how many limited numbers, but Nikkei claims 800,000. That being said, it's sold out in some countries but I haven't heard of any delays due to supply yet. Granted, it hasn't come out in the US so who knows how insane October 29th will be (probably just as bad as other years, honestly).

No one knows how limited green is, but it's certainly the one most people want. I do know that the green fabric case is sold out on Amazon so if you have that in your order list, do not cancel it.

Amazon has been selling bundles of the phone PLUS the fabric case of your choice, but the green case combo is sold out.

I'm the guy who never uses a case so the color of the actual phone is a big deal to me.