Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Try spritzing a little water on it after it comes out of the oven too. It should make the crust look super shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
thats a good looking bread

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m consistently under-proofing before baking. I’m obviously doing the finger poke test wrongly. Any other ways if knowing when it’s good to bake?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Some people chop off a small section of dough and put it in a small jar with a elastic marking the top to track growth in the same way you would with a starter.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

therattle posted:

I’m consistently under-proofing before baking. I’m obviously doing the finger poke test wrongly. Any other ways if knowing when it’s good to bake?

Just wait until it gets bigger than last time? I can tell how well proved dough is just based on how high it sits in my banneton, because I know where my best bread usually reaches.

There's a certain light springiness that comes with a good proof, but that's another "you know it when you see it" unhelpful kind of test.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, I'm at the point with my sourdough that I can basically eyeball it, which is important because my apartment can fluctuate pretty wildly in temp this time of year.

I found it helped to take a lot of pictures on my phone early on. Take a pic of the dough in my proofing bowl before popping it in, take a pic of the loaf after, and next time I'm baking think about whether it needed more or less time. Just need to do the reps and make a bunch of loafs to get it down.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I fancy making sourdough bagels, anyone have a good recipe?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chad Sexington posted:

Also playing with tension this week. Normally I do about six stretch and folds with my sourdough, then do a bench preshape, then shape again, usually folding and then rolling it up and pinching the seam before dropping in the banneton.

I wondered if the shaping wasn't costing me some volume, so this time I just dumped it from the bowl into the banneton after bulk fermentation with no shaping at all. It was definitely much beefier coming out of the fridge this morning and baked into a more sizable loaf than I've gotten lately, both in height and girth.

Think I may stick with this method.

I wanted to give this a try, so I did. I would have said that it didn't gain as much bulk in the fridge as when doing a preshape before banneton (I usually stretch it into about the size of a cutting board and then fold lengthwise into the middle from both sides, and then fold that roll twice into the middle from each end). But it is still pretty big. I'm very curious if the texture is going to work out, my guess is that it'll have good bubbles but that the general overall texture might be a bit lacking, the sort of sheets of bread in the bread, the texture in the texture if you know what I mean. I'll report back once this bread is cooked.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
turned out really really well. I do definitely miss the concentric spiral crumb pattern but overall you can't argue with these results

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Walrus posted:

turned out really really well. I do definitely miss the concentric spiral crumb pattern but overall you can't argue with these results

Beauty!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I mentioned in th past about how I overnight ferment my starter with vegetables

This is how it comes out super strong and ready to add to a flour mixture

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Pretty pleased with how my jalapeno cheddar sourdough came out.

I based it off this recipe with some modifications. Recipe called for 556g of bread flour, which is more than I typically use for a loaf and it's relatively low hydration at something like 68%. In previous cheese breads I've made, shredded cheese tends to disappear into the bread, so I chopped up a whole 8oz block of cheddar and kept it pretty chunky so the cheese would be really obvious.

I had some concerns in the early going... even with all that extra flour and cheese and jalapeno in there, it only barely topped out my banneton, so the rise wasn't the greatest. And then it took a really long while to get going in the oven. The recipe called for the lid on the dutch oven to be removed at 25 minutes, but I left it on until 45 before I started seeing some spring. Probably because I didn't let the dough get to room temperature before I dropped it in.

In any case, delicious bread that is like a meal unto itself.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I only was half paying attention to all the sourdough starter chat but enough to know I was hitting a classic problem with my starter stalling out. I found an article online explaining the whole history behind the pineapple juice trick. Beyond dropping the pH, I'm assuming it does contribute some sugars, and I would also figure pineapples as a bromeliad would resist bacteria particularly well. What surprised me in all this is just how ubiquitous it is to create a starter that stalls out, has some bacteria run amok, and then it either slowly starts to work out or you just don't really get anywhere. Did the people that came up with the process using just flour and water get really lucky or something?

I'm kind of thinking of homebrewing an pH drops from mashing and wondered if there was a more specific process to follow like keeping the whole mess up around 95 degrees Fahrenheit for awhile to help drop the pH, but I don't really know how well that works with straight up wheat flour.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm still pretty new to making my own bread. I've only made like 3 loaves so far. I wanna make sourdough bread bowls for a dinner coming up. I typically follow a specific loaf recipe, but I wanna know if I can modify it to end up with bread bowls instead. Looking around, every recipe I find is different here or there, and no two seem the same. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a point in the recipe where I can just cut the dough into, I dunno, fist sized lumps and bake them into bread bowls? Where is that point?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm still pretty new to making my own bread. I've only made like 3 loaves so far. I wanna make sourdough bread bowls for a dinner coming up. I typically follow a specific loaf recipe, but I wanna know if I can modify it to end up with bread bowls instead. Looking around, every recipe I find is different here or there, and no two seem the same. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a point in the recipe where I can just cut the dough into, I dunno, fist sized lumps and bake them into bread bowls? Where is that point?

What kind of loaf do you make? If it's just flour, water, salt, and starter (and you're more or less happy with the results so far) then it should be pretty easy. For a lot of recipes, it's mix -> bulk fermentation -> shaping/proofing -> baking. Those steps of course have a lot of variation between recipes, but you will typically need those 3 things in bread recipes. You just need to modify the shaping steps prior to proofing and then adjust the baking times to accommodate whatever size you end up with. So if you can identify where you do that then it's where you'd diverge from the recipe you're using.

You usually do a final shaping then do a proofing where the fermentation puffs up the dough and gets it ready for a good baking. You usually do this by pulling the dough around itself to form a taught skin on the top of the loaf, then letting it rest, usually covered somehow, until ready. I'd recommend just looking up some videos/sites to see how people shape boules (round loaves).

The other thing with bread bowls would be how you slash them. I'd want to make sure to slash it sufficiently so that the bowl has nice clean sides without big ruptures.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Eeyo posted:

What kind of loaf do you make? If it's just flour, water, salt, and starter (and you're more or less happy with the results so far) then it should be pretty easy. For a lot of recipes, it's mix -> bulk fermentation -> shaping/proofing -> baking. Those steps of course have a lot of variation between recipes, but you will typically need those 3 things in bread recipes. You just need to modify the shaping steps prior to proofing and then adjust the baking times to accommodate whatever size you end up with. So if you can identify where you do that then it's where you'd diverge from the recipe you're using.

You usually do a final shaping then do a proofing where the fermentation puffs up the dough and gets it ready for a good baking. You usually do this by pulling the dough around itself to form a taught skin on the top of the loaf, then letting it rest, usually covered somehow, until ready. I'd recommend just looking up some videos/sites to see how people shape boules (round loaves).

The other thing with bread bowls would be how you slash them. I'd want to make sure to slash it sufficiently so that the bowl has nice clean sides without big ruptures.

I typically follow The Kitchn's sourdough recipe, but this time I decided to try this one instead because of timing issues on certain steps. They're both just, water, flour, starter, salt. I'm not doing any of the extra optional spices and add ins from the second one. At what point should I divide the dough? After the long proofing step?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Switching to DI water for getting it started seem to work better along with pineapple juice. I bet the chlorine in modern water supplies messes it up

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I typically follow The Kitchn's sourdough recipe, but this time I decided to try this one instead because of timing issues on certain steps. They're both just, water, flour, starter, salt. I'm not doing any of the extra optional spices and add ins from the second one. At what point should I divide the dough? After the long proofing step?

For the second recipe, the abbreviated steps it gives are:

quote:

5. Cover and let rest on the kitchen counter overnight for 8-12 hours. ( 65-70 F)
6. In the morning, stretch, fold and shape.
7. Place in a parchment-lined bowl, let rise 1 hour in the refrigerator while oven preheats.
8. Score.
9. Bake 35 minutes!

So I think the difference would be steps 6 & 7. You can probably do the stretch and fold (this will develop the gluten some) with everything in one big mass. Then you'd divide it, and then shape each individual loaf. The idea is that you do a final shaping, then leave the loaf as undisturbed as possible while it goes through the final proofing. That way the yeast can begin to make air bubbles that will contribute to the crumb in the end result. The previous steps are about developing gluten, yeast activity/flavor, and developing some bubbles. This recipe is a little different than I'm used to, I usually see the final proofing having at least some rising going on, and you test it out by poking it.

If they're relatively small you may be able to just shape them into loaves and rest them on parchment pieces on a baking sheet or the counter top. Then cover with a well-floured towel or something like that. Were you going to bake them on a sheet or something? I'd think if you're doing more than 2 you'd want to bake them on a sheet rather than trying multiple dutch ovens or cycling in/out of a single dutch oven.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I only was half paying attention to all the sourdough starter chat but enough to know I was hitting a classic problem with my starter stalling out. I found an article online explaining the whole history behind the pineapple juice trick. Beyond dropping the pH, I'm assuming it does contribute some sugars, and I would also figure pineapples as a bromeliad would resist bacteria particularly well. What surprised me in all this is just how ubiquitous it is to create a starter that stalls out, has some bacteria run amok, and then it either slowly starts to work out or you just don't really get anywhere. Did the people that came up with the process using just flour and water get really lucky or something?

I'm kind of thinking of homebrewing an pH drops from mashing and wondered if there was a more specific process to follow like keeping the whole mess up around 95 degrees Fahrenheit for awhile to help drop the pH, but I don't really know how well that works with straight up wheat flour.

Probably just an environ thing. I've started from scratch a number of times and never really had to do more than make a 100% hydration mix and do the usual. Never had to do anything special to get one going.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Eeyo posted:

For the second recipe, the abbreviated steps it gives are:

So I think the difference would be steps 6 & 7. You can probably do the stretch and fold (this will develop the gluten some) with everything in one big mass. Then you'd divide it, and then shape each individual loaf. The idea is that you do a final shaping, then leave the loaf as undisturbed as possible while it goes through the final proofing. That way the yeast can begin to make air bubbles that will contribute to the crumb in the end result. The previous steps are about developing gluten, yeast activity/flavor, and developing some bubbles. This recipe is a little different than I'm used to, I usually see the final proofing having at least some rising going on, and you test it out by poking it.

If they're relatively small you may be able to just shape them into loaves and rest them on parchment pieces on a baking sheet or the counter top. Then cover with a well-floured towel or something like that. Were you going to bake them on a sheet or something? I'd think if you're doing more than 2 you'd want to bake them on a sheet rather than trying multiple dutch ovens or cycling in/out of a single dutch oven.

I'd be interesting in seeing the recipe you typically follow. Every site seems to have a different way of doing things and for me, it can be hard to separate out what actually matters versus what's just "we've always done it this way/my grandma taught me to do this so I do it" type stuff. I'm still in that stage where I'm trying different things and noting how stuff turns out so I can try to nail down a good recipe to always use. What would you do different from the recipe I'm going with?

Considering the size of the loaf, I'm thinking I might get 2 bowls out of this? Maybe 3? Probably two. How many should I get out of this? I was planning on baking them in our two dutch ovens, since they'd both fit in the oven together and that's relatively easy. From the recipes I've seen, it seems important to have them in a sealed container to keep the moisture in for the first part of the baking process. Again, what should I do differently? Teach me things.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd be interesting in seeing the recipe you typically follow. Every site seems to have a different way of doing things and for me, it can be hard to separate out what actually matters versus what's just "we've always done it this way/my grandma taught me to do this so I do it" type stuff. I'm still in that stage where I'm trying different things and noting how stuff turns out so I can try to nail down a good recipe to always use. What would you do different from the recipe I'm going with?

Considering the size of the loaf, I'm thinking I might get 2 bowls out of this? Maybe 3? Probably two. How many should I get out of this? I was planning on baking them in our two dutch ovens, since they'd both fit in the oven together and that's relatively easy. From the recipes I've seen, it seems important to have them in a sealed container to keep the moisture in for the first part of the baking process. Again, what should I do differently? Teach me things.

How many you get out will depend on how big you want them to be and how much rising you get. If it's for 1 or 2 people then just aim for 2 I'd say, you can always carve a little less out of the bowl, but you can't make a tiny one bigger! Unless you feel like they're too big when you shape them, trust your instincts here.

Yeah, the sealed baking vessel is supposed to keep steam in, which will supposedly do a few things. 1) it keeps the crust moist and more pliable so that it can expand more easily. 2) steam transfers heat much better than dry air, so it will provide more spring during the initial baking. 3) it helps set the crust to be more crispy/crackly. It's best to take the lid off when it starts to brown and the crust is set. That way the crust dries out and gets a better texture.

As for what I'd do differently, I guess it's mostly the final proofing step. On most recipes I see it's usually longer, especially for sourdough because the yeast activity is typically much less than when you use commercial yeast. When I bake my loaves I give it an hour or an hour and a half after the loaf is warmed up and I've done a final shaping. I do the poke test, where if you poke the bread (cover your finger in water so it doesn't stick) you can make an indentation that springs back some but leaves an indentation on the surface. Depending on how active your starter is it could take longer.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Eeyo posted:

How many you get out will depend on how big you want them to be and how much rising you get. If it's for 1 or 2 people then just aim for 2 I'd say, you can always carve a little less out of the bowl, but you can't make a tiny one bigger! Unless you feel like they're too big when you shape them, trust your instincts here.

Yeah, the sealed baking vessel is supposed to keep steam in, which will supposedly do a few things. 1) it keeps the crust moist and more pliable so that it can expand more easily. 2) steam transfers heat much better than dry air, so it will provide more spring during the initial baking. 3) it helps set the crust to be more crispy/crackly. It's best to take the lid off when it starts to brown and the crust is set. That way the crust dries out and gets a better texture.

As for what I'd do differently, I guess it's mostly the final proofing step. On most recipes I see it's usually longer, especially for sourdough because the yeast activity is typically much less than when you use commercial yeast. When I bake my loaves I give it an hour or an hour and a half after the loaf is warmed up and I've done a final shaping. I do the poke test, where if you poke the bread (cover your finger in water so it doesn't stick) you can make an indentation that springs back some but leaves an indentation on the surface. Depending on how active your starter is it could take longer.

We're using a home made sourdough starter that we've been cultivating for about 6 months now. We've made like 4 or 5 loaves with it. Each of them were honestly pretty dang delicious, except for the one we rushed the proofing steps, which tasted closer to normal white bread.

I just hit the 8 hour mark on the long proof. Technically I can leave it up to 4 more hours, according to the recipe, before moving on. I think I will let it rest after final shaping for a bit longer on the counter before chilling it in the fridge.

EDIT: Ok, so question. I decided to go do the 2nd stretch and proof, and I followed the above linked recipe, which suggested using wet hands for all interaction. This pretty much drenched the dough in water though, and I'm worried my hands were too wet. Will this effect the final product? Can it be corrected? I've currently got 2 dough balls in parchment lined bowls to do a final proofing before baking. The other thing I noticed was the dough was pretty loose. I could pick it up, yeah, but it didn't even try to hold its shape, and on the 2nd of the dough balls, I nearly lost my hand in the dough as it tried to just droop around my hand. I didn't even get it folded properly, it was too wet and shaggy to keep its shape. What do?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 4, 2020

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Baked this guy up today. Would’ve liked a bit more spring but my score was sloppy. Still tasted great!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: Ok, so question. I decided to go do the 2nd stretch and proof, and I followed the above linked recipe, which suggested using wet hands for all interaction. This pretty much drenched the dough in water though, and I'm worried my hands were too wet. Will this effect the final product? Can it be corrected? I've currently got 2 dough balls in parchment lined bowls to do a final proofing before baking. The other thing I noticed was the dough was pretty loose. I could pick it up, yeah, but it didn't even try to hold its shape, and on the 2nd of the dough balls, I nearly lost my hand in the dough as it tried to just droop around my hand. I didn't even get it folded properly, it was too wet and shaggy to keep its shape. What do?

It shouldn't drench the dough. Wet your hands and then rub them together to get off the extra water. It doesn't take much to keep the dough from sticking. It's likely your dough was just overly wet to begin with. It's a little late to add more flour if you're into the final proof though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So the bread is done and.... yeah, it didn't turn out right. The dutch ovens I used were way too large, which lead to the bread flattening out considerably. That said, the bread itself was actually pretty drat good.

This is mini-loaf 1, which the wife and I ate with the cheddar broccoli soup that was supposed to go into the bread.

And this is the 2nd loaf, which will be for leftovers tomorrow.

It's fun how the wife's phone takes much better pictures, but she cares not for framing and making the picture more pleasing to look at. My lovely phone can't even show the crumb very well.
It's a bit hard to tell, but the loaves turned out like 2-3 inches tall, and about the width of a dinner plate.

Overall, the taste was pretty great. The crumb was good and the wife was surprised I got it that nice. I think next loaf I'm definitely gonna repeat letting the bread get a good 2nd proof on the counter for like an hour before cooling in the fridge, then baking. I also feel that the base recipe's suggestion to stretch the dough 4 times, rest for 15 minutes, stretch another 4 times, then proof probably helped out with that as well. So that's going in the notes for the future. Also,that crust happened after baking with the lid on for 22 minutes, then taking the lid off and letting it go for 15 while also forgetting to turn the heat down from 500F to 450F. A dangerous move. I do wonder if a larger single loaf would've browned the same.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The stretch and fold can be a little tricky, but it can definitely work the gluten fairly well. I've done it with a spoon a few times, I'd just gather enough dough and stretch it up and over itself. The things which develop gluten are working it (kneading or stretching) and time. The dough just chilling in the fridge will eventually develop gluten, that's why some no-knead recipes just have you stick it in the fridge for like a few days or whatever.

I did the math wrong and thought the hydration was lower on those recipes than it really was so maybe my suggestion of proofing on a flat thing is a bit more difficult than I imagined. The more gluten you can get developed the better here, so bread flour and good stretch/fold and time may help.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this bread looks loving GOOOOOOOD

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I swear to god my sourdough starter is magic. I made the same hamburger buns as earlier in the thread but used my whole-wheat starter instead of yeast and they actually look like burger buns now. I know that bag of yeast still is good; it does great on AP Flour-predominant dough. My starter is far better adapted to whole grains, apparently!

I also gave up kneading the dough at all and let time do the work. Very tasty results.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Made another bread

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Anybody have a preferred slicing technique and/or gear?

I've gotten better about using my plain old bread knife without smushing a loaf. With sourdough, I'll cut it in half and then make half-slices by putting it crumb side down and cutting through the crust.

But sometimes it's hard to get sandwich-friendly slices without them falling apart. I wish I had some kind of bread laser or one of those professional slicers.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know if I subtracted 100g from my intended flour amount or added 100g to my water, but the sourdough proofing on my counter seems to be closer to 90% hydration than my targeted 70%. We’ll see how it turns out - I put it in the mixer for 8 minutes and it didn’t pull together all that much. That’s what I get for mixing ingredients before drinking my morning coffee.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If a good bread knife can't cut a slice from a loaf of bread then surely it's the bread's problem. Also, you can just throw in a handfuls of flour until it looks less like batter.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Once the bread is cool the best knife to cut it isn't serrated at all imo, it's a super sharp chef's knife.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

If a good bread knife can't cut a slice from a loaf of bread then surely it's the bread's problem.

It's not that it doesn't slice, it's that thin slices are difficult.

I may just sharpen my chef's knife and have a go with that next time. (My knives need sharpening...)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It should make thin slices much easier

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If I'm slicing I'm usually freezing anyway so I slice in half and slightly freeze, then cut and stick back in to freeze completely.

Good bread today

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
My girlfriend has a mature sourdough starter she inherited from my dad. After feeding, the starter peaks quickly, within 2-3 hours. Everything she's reading is talking about sourdough starters peaking around 12 hours and she's wondering if that's too fast. Is this all good or is there an obvious fix?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

bear named tators posted:

My girlfriend has a mature sourdough starter she inherited from my dad. After feeding, the starter peaks quickly, within 2-3 hours. Everything she's reading is talking about sourdough starters peaking around 12 hours and she's wondering if that's too fast. Is this all good or is there an obvious fix?

That's good actually, it means it is a very active and healthy starter, ready to get going in some bread!

If you don't want to feed it so much, keep it in the fridge and feed it once a week. It will select for slower growing yeasts and give the bacteria an edge for some more intense sour flavor.

When you want to make bread, you can take it out of the fridge and feed it until it's back to peaking quickly if you like the bread it makes that way. (I often just use mine straight from the fridge and leave it to ferment for like a day since it is so slow, but most people usually want bread the same day.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
:dance: Thank you for the good news!