Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

As others have said, just beware of treated grass.

My dog is a grazer, every american stafford I've had loves to eat grass, especially after it rains, and not just to settle their stomachs; according to my old vet, newly rained on grass is sweeter, dunno if there's truth to that or not

yeah dogs have the best grazing and grinding teeth in the pet animal kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If it’s good enough for the sheep it’s good enough for the Pyr. Just toss a protein block out there occasionally to balance things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Greetings

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Salutations

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

First puppy so apologies for the dumb question but Addie will go out, take a huge poo poo and piss like a racehorse, come back into the apartment, and just pee out of nowhere lke thirty minutes later.

it's gotten to the point I have to take her out twice every time.

I think part of it is this shag throw carpet we have. It kinda has the same feel as grass to her I guess and it's the only place she'll do it.

is this normal puppy behavior? she's 9 weeks.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A puppy that young I'd be taking out once an hour.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Puppies are made of 95% piss

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

FizFashizzle posted:

First puppy so apologies for the dumb question but Addie will go out, take a huge poo poo and piss like a racehorse, come back into the apartment, and just pee out of nowhere lke thirty minutes later.

I think part of it is this shag throw carpet we have. It kinda has the same feel as grass to her I guess and it's the only place she'll do it.

When my dog was 8-12 weeks, we were taking him out every 30-45 minutes when possible just to get him into the habit of being outside to pee/poop. Depending on the size of the dog, at that age their bladders are pretty small. It was annoying for a week or two but clicked really quickly and minimized the indoor accidents. We slowly built up the length of time each week and it really helped to minimize accidents and really encouraged good potty training.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yeah, if your pup is showing that she can only hold it for 30 minutes that's how often you should be taking her out. The more she practices pottying outside the more she'll understand that's where to do it. When she gets older you can start trying to stretch it but if she's failing go back to just taking her out all the time. For the first month I just set a timer on my phone any time my puppy was out of her crate and unless the puppy was happily chewing something or sleeping I'd take her out. Also any time she stopped playing or woke up I'd whisk her out immediately.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have a weird issue with an australian cattle dog I'm fostering. I got him one of those talking/giggling toys, thinking that it'd keep him occupied while I work during the day. The toy makes a sound only when it is shaken.

He seemed to like it at first, but he's displaying some weird behaviors. I'll give him the toy, he'll play with it for like two minutes and the toy will make giggling sounds and stuff, and then it'll eventually roll away from him. At that point, instead of walking over to pick it up again, he'll stare at it and whine. The whining gets more and more incessant over time, as if he gets more and more stressed.

If I take the toy and put it away in the guest bedroom and close the door, he'll lie down in front of the door, stare at the small opening between the door and the carpet and just continue whining. I have to work pretty hard to take his attention away.

He is on OCD medication, so is this toy triggering his OCD or something?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

yeah it sounds like huge ocd and I'm super concerned about it

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

FizFashizzle posted:

At that age it's normal for puppies to need to go to the bathroom super often. I agree with the post saying this is your dog showing you she can't hold it longer than 30 minutes, so you just have to roll with it.

When my puppy was that age we assumed he needed to go every time he did basically anything.

Woke up? Bathroom.
Ate something? Bathroom.
Drank something? Bathroom.
Played with us for 20 minutes? Bathroom.
Did a little training? Bathroom.
Etc.

It's annoying to have to take them in and out so often, but it will build good habits and teach them that outside is the place to go. Putting up with constantly taking them outside now will pay off with being housebroken later.

And don't worry, it ends. Now my puppy (8 months old) can hold it about 8 hours.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sab669 posted:

Salutations

Excellent.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Any tricks to make a puppy cope better with me injecting ointment into her ears for the next six days? She really hates it, plus the syringes the vet gave me are really fiddly and take ages to inject so the whole painful process gets extended. She's a 14 week old lab, so small but surprisingly strong and wilful when stuff is going in her ears.

edit:

photo taken moments after her last treatment

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 15, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

Any tricks to make a puppy cope better with me injecting ointment into her ears for the next six days? She really hates it, plus the syringes the vet gave me are really fiddly and take ages to inject so the whole painful process gets extended. She's a 14 week old lab, so small but surprisingly strong and wilful when stuff is going in her ears.

edit:

Get a second pair of hands to feed her treats during the process is what I'd do.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

edit:

Sounds especially difficult for a young pup you presumably haven't had for very long. I had to give eye drops to my dog which she hated, but after a few days she kinda learned it's not gonna hurt her / don't fight me. Have you only had to do it one day thus far? Hopefully by Day 3 she'll just calm down and accept her fate.

But yea a second pair of hands, hopefully ones with treats, would also probably help. Spray cheese or smear some peanut butter on something for her to actively lick, not just a little bite-sized morsel she can eat immediately.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Sab669 posted:

Sounds especially difficult for a young pup you presumably haven't had for very long. I had to give eye drops to my dog which she hated, but after a few days she kinda learned it's not gonna hurt her / don't fight me. Have you only had to do it one day thus far? Hopefully by Day 3 she'll just calm down and accept her fate.

But yea a second pair of hands, hopefully ones with treats, would also probably help. Spray cheese or smear some peanut butter on something for her to actively lick, not just a little bite-sized morsel she can eat immediately.

We had the absolute opposite problem with eye drops where the longer we had to do them, the more squirmy she got. Second pair of hands and a treat she absolutely loves is the best solution

String cheese is what we use - you can pull a bunch of strips off beforehand, and the length of the strips is good

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

While it won't help as much at this moment I recommend everyone check out Deb Jones' Cooperative Care book/facebook page/online course. It might seem like overkill or a lot of foundation work but it's totally worth it. My dog was even able to have x rays done without being sedated because he knew how to relax in the positions and cooperate, which not only made it less stressful for all of us involved but also saved me $$$ on him needing to be knocked out and stay all day at the vet. He also gets a shot every month and pills every day without issue. Plus nail trims are a breeze!

For ear and eye drops teaching a solid chin rest both in your hand and on a pillow in your lap is key. The book lays out how to teach both ear and eye drops step by step.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah, I've been teaching her to be comfortable with being handled since she's a seeing eye pup, but I'm worried this'll set her back quite a ways. I'll try out some of your suggestions and see how today goes.

edit: peanut butter on toy worked for one ear, but she figured out the game for the second one. I might start fiddling with her ears a lot throughout the day and reward her for it to at least take some of the edge off.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Our 14 year old Schipperke has been suffering from congestive heart failure for over a year, and last night deteriorated majorly. She can't walk more than a few feet. We're probably going to have to put her down tomorrow. :(

Was wondering if anyone has any tips to help her poop, she keeps trying to but is too weak to make the posture. We want to help her feel comfortable tonight.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My rescue has been with us for 2 months now and it's largely been a breeze. He's not a huge fan of other dogs on walks though. Sometimes he really goes for another dog. Anyone have any material on this? I'm trying to Google for dog aggression but that's all about being aggressive towards people

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unfortunately a dog's behavior can change radically when they're on a leash VS off leash. One of my dogs is much more Flight when on her leash than off; the other is the opposite. A bit more aggressive on the leash than off. I would just say to really focus on your surroundings and as soon as you see another dog coming step off to the side and just work on some Sit/Stay commands until the other dog passes.

Unrelated - do any of you guys go camping with your dogs? What do you bring for them to sleep in/on/under? I might do some camping first week of November, temps are typically ~30-50º around that time of year. They both have pretty short coats. I'm not sure if just a big blanket and being cuddled up with each other will be sufficient for them?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Check out "leash reactivity," that might help. Some of the focus games (engage/disengage) might not get your dog to love other dogs on walks, but could at least get them to take cues from you when they see those dogs rather than going nuts.

Our 1 year old pupper just got spayed and generally did okay with the procedure and recovery, but needed some mild sedatives during the first week since she thought she was ready to rock and roll well before the recommended timeframe.

Yesterday she got off those meds (trazodone, also anti anxiety) and she spent the majority of the evening barking at everything and nothing, then was a hot mess in her bedtime crate. I ended up sleeping on the couch in the living room with her instead because the crate just wasn't working, but she still woke up a few times in the night to pace around the room and bark at nothing.

Anyone know if this is typical after a spay and/or a side effect of coming down from the drugs? She had been a little whiny about the crate at night before the spay, but usually settled down quickly (15-30m). Unfortunately, she can't go crate free in the bedroom because she's still a little overly excited about our cat, who wants nothing to do with the puppy.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 22, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

My rescue has been with us for 2 months now and it's largely been a breeze. He's not a huge fan of other dogs on walks though. Sometimes he really goes for another dog. Anyone have any material on this? I'm trying to Google for dog aggression but that's all about being aggressive towards people

I've heard dog daycares are great for this kind of thing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Getting to freely roam around dozens of other dogs in an unfamiliar environment without their human around is a very different experience to on-eash with the human and 1 other dog around.

I do think daycare is a great socialization tool, and maybe it'll help, but daycare is expensive so I wouldn't personally recommend spending nearly $100/mo (assuming you're going once a week) hoping it'll improve the dog's behavior in a very different environment.

Do you have any dog owning friends? Can you schedule a meet-up in the park and just do drills walking by each other?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sab669 posted:

Unfortunately a dog's behavior can change radically when they're on a leash VS off leash. One of my dogs is much more Flight when on her leash than off; the other is the opposite. A bit more aggressive on the leash than off. I would just say to really focus on your surroundings and as soon as you see another dog coming step off to the side and just work on some Sit/Stay commands until the other dog passes.

Unrelated - do any of you guys go camping with your dogs? What do you bring for them to sleep in/on/under? I might do some camping first week of November, temps are typically ~30-50º around that time of year. They both have pretty short coats. I'm not sure if just a big blanket and being cuddled up with each other will be sufficient for them?

That’s going to largely depend on the dogs and how they prefer to sleep, my guy is shameless about trying to insert himself into the sleeping bag, but we have terrible boundaries to begin with. I’ve also had dogs (huskies) who will outright prefer to curl up outside on the ground versus coming into the tent regardless of weather, or a pug who wouldn’t lie down on the ground regardless of circumstances, even just to kick back for a minute on a walk. It’s usually warm enough in a tent and a thick blanket under a dog to stave off ground temp that I’d aim for that, outdoors under a open sky would probably be tough unless they’re already accustomed to it, and it doesn’t sound like their coats are made for it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Goodpancakes posted:

First your dog needs to not have to interact with other dogs for the foreseeable future. No off-leash parks, daycare, on-leash greetings or anything while you get a handle on things. If he injures another dog not only could you face vet bills and legal repercussions, but it puts your dog at risk of injuries and dog warden visits.

I'd suggest finding a positive trainer or veterinary behaviorist (corrections, e-collars, shake cans, etc are not great ways of getting to the root cause of inter-dog aggression) that teaches either group reactivity classes or can help you with private sessions. If I remember you've had a couple other issues and being able to talk through them with someone is super helpful. If you can't swing that right now I really like Grisha Stewart's B.A.T./Behavior Adjustment Training methods and Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed book. Fenzi Dog Sport Academy Online also has a series of "Dealing with the Bogeyman" classes for reactive dogs and the next one will start December 1st.

Also doggie daycares are nearly universally horrible and unless you 1000% trust that the one you use isn't run by idiots I would strongly avoid against them. I say this as someone who worked at one and it was run by idiots. Most adult dogs do not get a lot out of thunderdome style play with strange dogs. This goes for dog parks too but at least you're there to get your dog out of situations where another person is being a moron and doesn't understand body language I guess.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They're certainly not built for the cold, no

I took the hound camping in September ~2 years ago, she didn't like being forced into my little bivvy but once I got in too she settled down. I think so long as they're close to me they'll both be content; I'm just trying to figure out how many blankets to keep them warm over night.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

There's a dog park half a block away from my house that I've been wanting to take my foster to, but he's not good with other dogs so I'd need to keep him muzzled in case someone else brings theirs.

Are there any fetch toys that are suitable for muzzled dogs?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

There's a dog park half a block away from my house that I've been wanting to take my foster to, but he's not good with other dogs so I'd need to keep him muzzled in case someone else brings theirs.

glue a magnet on to the muzzle then on to the toy

bonus: make the magnets the same polarity and watch the dog go wild

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

enraged_camel posted:

Don't take a dog aggressive dog to a dog park. Maybe, MAYBE if he was your dog and had an amazing recall and you could see other dogs coming from a mile away and have him leashed up and gone by the time they got there but in your particular case just don't do it.

Invest in a long line and scope out places with limited dog traffic in your area and go hog wild. There's also like a dog airbnb thing called sniffspot where you can rent fenced in areas privately for an hour if you live someplace where they operate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Don't take a dog aggressive dog to a dog park. Maybe, MAYBE if he was your dog and had an amazing recall and you could see other dogs coming from a mile away and have him leashed up and gone by the time they got there but in your particular case just don't do it.

Invest in a long line and scope out places with limited dog traffic in your area and go hog wild. There's also like a dog airbnb thing called sniffspot where you can rent fenced in areas privately for an hour if you live someplace where they operate.

Understood. He's not "aggressive" per se, just has a strong prey drive and the shelter warned me about avoiding interactions with smaller dogs that he might perceive as prey.

He's an Australian cattle dog and has tons and tons of energy and I just need a way to easily get him tired so that I can actually get work done. I figured the dog park would be a good place but you're probably right that I should just avoid it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I have a 7 month old cattle dog and there really is no wearing them out. Some fetch on a long line, jogging or biking together if he’s an adult, or a flirt pole might take the edge off. Otherwise mental exercise like training or scent work can wear them out a lot better. Also work on training him to just chill on a bed with a chew. Training them to be calm is going to be a lot easier in the long run than trying to work them until they drop.

She spent over an hour running through puddles yesterday and would have kept going.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When my dog (some kind of Ridgeback mix) was younger, I'd take him to the beach and he'd chase the birds. He'd be running through water deep enough to be just under his chest and still just about keeping up with the seagulls, and he'd run half a mile down the beach like that. He loved it.

These days he's a lot slower, and while he'll still charge after the birds, once they take off he'll let them be. :unsmith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea there's just no tiring out certain dogs.

That hound of mine - back in July I took her for a 10 mile hike, 4000 ft of elevation gain and 5 hours later she was still jumping with enthusiasm for her After Dinner Walk :sigh: She's 6.5 years old, too!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

enraged_camel posted:

Understood. He's not "aggressive" per se, just has a strong prey drive and the shelter warned me about avoiding interactions with smaller dogs that he might perceive as prey.

He's an Australian cattle dog and has tons and tons of energy and I just need a way to easily get him tired so that I can actually get work done. I figured the dog park would be a good place but you're probably right that I should just avoid it.

I've got a cattledog x whippet/chihuahua who had alot of the same issues you were describing and we ended up having him exercise at the race course each day because it was a huge block of land only people with big exercise heavy dogs knew about it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

https://whyld-river.com/products/whyld-rivers-doggybag

I have this. Been down to 3C and she's been happy.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Don't take it to the dog park. Just because he can't bite other dogs, doesn't mean they wont get traumatized. Mine got attacked by a muzzled pitt-mix and she still picked up significant bruising and a dose of reactivity after that.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Alucard posted:

Check out "leash reactivity," that might help. Some of the focus games (engage/disengage) might not get your dog to love other dogs on walks, but could at least get them to take cues from you when they see those dogs rather than going nuts.

Our 1 year old pupper just got spayed and generally did okay with the procedure and recovery, but needed some mild sedatives during the first week since she thought she was ready to rock and roll well before the recommended timeframe.

Yesterday she got off those meds (trazodone, also anti anxiety) and she spent the majority of the evening barking at everything and nothing, then was a hot mess in her bedtime crate. I ended up sleeping on the couch in the living room with her instead because the crate just wasn't working, but she still woke up a few times in the night to pace around the room and bark at nothing.

Anyone know if this is typical after a spay and/or a side effect of coming down from the drugs? She had been a little whiny about the crate at night before the spay, but usually settled down quickly (15-30m). Unfortunately, she can't go crate free in the bedroom because she's still a little overly excited about our cat, who wants nothing to do with the puppy.

Ugh tonight has been worse, tried the crate again and she chewed off bits of the cover and banged loudly for over an hour. Now I'm praying she can fall asleep in our guest bedroom and not tear up every piece of carpet.

She's cute and nice and well behaved for plenty of the day, but I'd gladly take a different 8 hours of annoying than the ones I need to sleep

Update - apparently that was an umitigated disaster too, she decided to try and eat the bedsheets when given more free rein. The wife is taking the living room couch shift tonight since that seems to now be one of the few places the dog will settle and rest. We're probably going to spend most of tomorrow hanging out with her in the bedroom uncrated to get her more comfortable in the space again, despite her having spent basically every night up here for the last 10 months. Totally at a loss for what the hell broke in her brain.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

How long ago was her spay? And she just got off her meds yesterday?

My guess is she’s still uncomfortable from either the procedure or coming off her meds and it’s just going to take a couple weeks for her to get back to normal. It couldn’t hurt to call your vet and see if this is normal for whatever meds she was on and if they have any suggestions.