Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

priznat posted:

I’m curious how secure it is to the trailer.

Well there’s no hitch but they threw some sandbags in the front of the trailer so that oughta hold it in the bed of the truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bad Munki posted:

Well there’s no hitch but they threw some sandbags in the front of the trailer so that oughta hold it in the bed of the truck

Sounds pretty sketchy! I was more thinking aren’t the containers usually attached to the trailer via pins at the corner or something, but since it overhangs that much smaller trailer (probably violating length limits from the rearmost axle too with no long load flags etc) it doesn’t look properly attached.

I dunno I’m not a truck hauler guy but I would want to get away from that as fast as possible if I saw it on the freeway.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
It does have a marvellous auto-braking system if the load gets away from you. The trailer simply tips backward and screeches to a halt with the gooseneck in the air. To refit it you simply back your ball mount back underneath the coupler, then call 30 to 40 of your most heavy-set cousins to stand on top of the hitch until the trailer returns to its level position and the coupler and ball mount meet. Then you simply pull another bolt out of your suspension and stick it through the coupler to keep it in place for the next 50 miles.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Wet rear end Parking

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

null_pointer posted:

Wouldn't this actually be not too horrible, if the trailer was empty?

If truck and trailer are both mechanically sound and the container isn't loaded too heavily, the only real issue I see is that the container is long enough that it's probably obscuring the tail lights on the trailer.

E: I guess too much overhang on the back will gently caress with tongue weight and make the handling funny

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 15, 2020

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Wouldn't this actually be not too horrible, if the trailer was empty?

This is absolutely A Thing. This is a container hauler made for this purpose. I assume it's generally used for moving *empty* containers, which it probably does more cheaply than a semi, especially over short distances. I can't tell whether or not that container is really too long for the trailer, since google images brings up results showing this exact setup. But maybe it depends on weight and whether there are external indicator lights attached to the back, idk

At first I just thought this video looked weird bc the back wheel wasn't spinning, before I remembered that's just an optical illusion lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qi896jiWE71r0uzl6.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Slanderer posted:

This is absolutely A Thing. This is a container hauler made for this purpose. I assume it's generally used for moving *empty* containers, which it probably does more cheaply than a semi, especially over short distances. I can't tell whether or not that container is really too long for the trailer, since google images brings up results showing this exact setup. But maybe it depends on weight and whether there are external indicator lights attached to the back, idk

At first I just thought this video looked weird bc the back wheel wasn't spinning, before I remembered that's just an optical illusion lol
It looks like the taillights on the trailer are obscured by the overhang. Other than that I don't see anything that bad here tbh. Maybe the trailer is overloaded weight wise.l?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Oh hey, the flaming lips show?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93w9wd/flaming-lips-bubble-concert-social-distance-experience

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ha - I was just about to write a joke about how this was the natural conclusion of the evolution of the Flaming Lips. I didn't know it was actually the Flaming Lips.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Seems like a bit of a hazard should a fire break out...

Hell of a way to go.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Being in a bubble will make it so much easier and fun to stop, drop and roll!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

How long could you stay in there without suffocating?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1316845764459532291

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Wow, sucks for that guy taking hours to die after eating a 20mm round in the head.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

He probably wasn't aware of much at that point.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Maybe they just perfectly blew his face off and left his actual brain alone or some hosed up poo poo like that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Did they get the deposit back in the rental cars?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Had it been an F35 we wouldn't have this problem (it would have crashed).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LifeSunDeath posted:

Had it been an F35 we wouldn't have this problem (it would have crashed).

They would have blown up one car and then run out of bullets before getting to his.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Entirely possible he died instantly but there was no one around to "officially" rule and note the time of death until they wheeled his headless corpse into the nearest medical facility.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dillbag posted:

Entirely possible he died instantly but there was no one around to "officially" rule and note the time of death until they wheeled his headless corpse into the nearest medical facility.

Yeah, WSMR is a colossal place, so depending where the range is, it might take a while for help to get there and then more time to get out.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
im guessing he got hit with a little shapnel from a HE round

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dillbag posted:

This is like how no one ever dies at a race track

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I guess I'll post some of my Yuma Proving Ground pics, if we're doing missile chat.

per Google, this is the U.S. Army Armament Research and Development Center

the setting. I don't know anything about these pictures except my grandfather is in a few. I don't even know what order they go in.

There is no doubt I am related to this man, as I inherited his nose.

I have a lot more of these, but I could never get a batch upload to work on imgur and I'm not sure how to share them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I guess I'll post some of my Yuma Proving Ground pics, if we're doing missile chat.

per Google, this is the U.S. Army Armament Research and Development Center

the setting. I don't know anything about these pictures except my grandfather is in a few. I don't even know what order they go in.

There is no doubt I am related to this man, as I inherited his nose.

I have a lot more of these, but I could never get a batch upload to work on imgur and I'm not sure how to share them.

Picture 1 is a project patch, the M753 was an 8" nuclear artillery projectile.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/afap.htm

Picture 2 is of notes typical of those informally collected during weapons testing. Official data from the test director is significantly more inclusive. Note that they're firing a rocket-assisted projectile ("Rocket ON") with max charge (zone 9 propellant) so they're almost certainly going for a 30km range. I'm not sure where gun position 15 is, I'd have to look at a base map, but it's probably all the way back by the main firing line.

Pictures 3 and 4 are views of a self-propelled howitzer. From the date of the pictures, the patch, and the notes, it's an M110 203mm howitzer with an XM201 gun tube (serial number 27)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_howitzer

Picture 5 is a typical data acquisition and relay site at YPG. Not sure where, but it might be on Windy Mountain based on the view and the long range shot.

Picture 6 is typical of digging out an inert projectile after a test firing. The soil of YPG is sand over concrete-like caliche.
Picture 7 is typical of the round, they survive impact pretty well.

Picture 8 is your grandfather checking something in an instrumented round. Per the notes, they were checking out antennas for use in telemetering back data from the round to a ground station during flight.

Pretty cool pictures, thanks for sharing.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 16, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh wow, thank you! That is very cool.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I was at a national park and they had a similar sign over the urinal, read something along the lines of:

"This Urinal Uses Reclaimed Gray Water.
Do Not Drink
(We didn't think you would, but legally we have to warn you)"

It was cute. I'm guessing this is the same situation, but less cute.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dillbag posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they also decided to wait for EOD to clear the area first instead of risking anyone else getting injured/killed by UXO.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Shooting a nuke out of a cannon is pretty Osha.https://youtu.be/XT5jo7aZzTw

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Quote is not edit!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Pretty cool pictures, thanks for sharing.

Pretty cool pictures, pretty cool post. Things like this are why I still love this dead comedy forum.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's a real problem

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Also do not eat the big white mint.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OYM7AhW7Q

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Also do not eat the big white mint.

https://youtu.be/FVfj0TJ_qOA

But it smells like the forest!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything