Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

UK/EU hasn't seen a proper restock in over 2 weeks now, but yeah it's a demand problem :)

If the cards are being diverted to the US because of demand there... Yeah?

But what exactly is a "proper restock?" Do we have data suggesting they've gotten less stock over the same time frame than previous launches? Because the aib partners are saying they haven't. And given the number of people trying to buy these, a "proper restock" would probably disappear instantly. (Probably has been).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Combat Pretzel posted:

They've updated that page this morning. It doesn't say when it was initially posted, but that page is at very least a week old, and the supply from Asus is still homeopathic.

This poo poo almost makes me want to go with AMD out of principle.

Taima posted:

No you can't DLSS is too dope, they've got you by the twig and berries mate

Until we get pricing and have third party reviewers take a hard look at RT performance and whatever upscaling technology AMD is going with, saying 'they got you by the twig and berries' is a bit premature.

The 'AMD got jebaited' narrative is pretty much dead as a cut-down Navi 21 die (as in not their best card) is ~5-10% off the pace from a 3080 at 4k in pure rasterization. While we know the 3080 which is about 75-80% better at 4k compared to the 2080 nonsuper (not 2x as was billed by Jensen), we also do know that this is heavily tied to how heavy ray tracing is utilized. In pure rasterization titles, a 3080 might only be 50% better at 4k and even worse at 1440p as the architecture scales poorly at lower resolutions (see DF/Eurogamer). We see the 2x performance gains really only come in with games that are very heavy RT based. No one really knows how well AMD's RT implementation fares compared to Nvidia's at the moment or how well the various cards scale across different resolutions. The leakers who were accurate in the past with Big Navi (ie the guys who weren't fooled by the jebaited stuff, got accurate die size, CU, and performance targets back in March, and got the infinity cache stuff) say that it won't be as good as Ampere but also much better than Turing.

We have some 3rd party sources to work with though. Console RT titles like Spiderman on the PS 5 with 36 CUs at leaked comparable clock speeds to desktop Navi will run native 4k @ locked 30 FPS with decent quality RT effects as seen from leaked footage. A likely candidate for a cutdown Navi 21 will sport a 72 CU die and assuming decent scaling we could see a 4k @ 50-60 FPS average (not locked) for Big Navi for a comparable image quality. Looking at the 3080 rendering 4k with RT on/DLSS off shows similar performance for these titles with the 3080 usually being able to output 40 FPS (with much better RT visuals than Spiderman). How that scales down to 1440p with Big Navi vs Ampere? Guesswork at this point.

Finally, we have upsampling and pricing. It is obvious that AMD will not have an upscaling tech that is comparable to Nvidia that is both able to produce outstanding image quality and boost FPS by a significant amount. But it is also not obvious how far back AMD in this regard with some sort of equivalent. It is easy to just say AMD can't possibly come close but then there are tons of people in this very thread have doubted that AMD could put together an 80 CU die. They doubted whether they could get the job done on a 256 bit bus. They doubted whether they could even come close to the 3070 much less the 3080. One by one the AMD has ticked off the boxes for a real challenger for Ampere. While I also personally don't think that they can match Nvidia on DLSS, chances are they will have something that is reasonably decent. Checkerboard rendering with their RIS tech to mitigate the fuzziness that it this type of upscaling will bring.

If AMD can offer a 6800XT that can match the 3080 in pure rasterisation at 1440p, beat the 3070 with Ray Tracing on, and have a "good enough" version of image upscaling for .......... 500 USD? Now you see why Jensen held off on the 3070 launch. He doesn't need the 3070 to get embarrassed outright and the 3080 to look like a poor value proposition while most people still can't get a 3080 card in their hands.

For the 4k crowd and those with 1440p that demand the best of the best in terms of image quality and performance. The 3080 will still be the go-to card. I imagine most users ITT are in that category (still waiting for one myself). But for the more average gamer, Big Navi might have a lot offer at a good discount. This could be very enticing and put Radeon Tech Group back on the road to mainstream respectability, just like how Zen+ did for the CPU division a few short years ago.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

If the cards are being diverted to the US because of demand there... Yeah?

But what exactly is a "proper restock?" Do we have data suggesting they've gotten less stock over the same time frame than previous launches? Because the aib partners are saying they haven't. And given the number of people trying to buy these, a "proper restock" would probably disappear instantly. (Probably has been).

A proper restock is any stock at all, which the UK has not seen.

Not sure why people are so hellbent on pretending nvidia supplies don’t suck.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

You've got shipment data then?

Because it's way more likely that more people want to buy this card than ever before for a launch card. All the board partners and retailers corroborate. Occams razor and all that.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ijyt posted:

if i defend her maybe she will like me and date me

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nvidia has a good product, the distribution is poo poo balls supreme

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Let me rephrase this. Are any of you legitimately skeptical that demand for this card is the highest ever seen for a flagship gpu launch?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think the pandemic has distorted the demand curve and there are absolutely a gently caress ton of people willing to spend a gently caress ton on a gpu.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You couldn't even get a Switch for several months, not sure what the supply is now, but demand for tech right now is nuts.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rusty posted:

You couldn't even get a Switch for several months, not sure what the supply is now, but demand for tech right now is nuts.

The switch had supply issues even before corona.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

VorpalFish posted:

Let me rephrase this. Are any of you legitimately skeptical that demand for this card is the highest ever seen for a flagship gpu launch?

It’s hard to claim it’s not a supply problem when you have countries getting zero count of a product.

I don’t remember any kind of GPU launch where the store gets like 10 cards.

Normally when you stand in line for 12 hours before product comes out you loving actually get the product.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

spunkshui posted:

It’s hard to claim it’s not a supply problem when you have countries getting zero count of a product.

I don’t remember any kind of GPU launch where the store gets like 10 cards.

Normally when you stand in line for 12 hours before product comes out you loving actually get the product.

Scan says they got a shipment yesterday.

Ocuk has been getting shipments according to their website as well, so zero count is obviously hyperbole.

The amount of time you spend in line waiting doesn't tell you anything about change in demand vs change in supply; just that demand exceeds supply.

And you didn't answer my question. Do you honestly believe this is not the most in demand flagship launch we have ever seen?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't think they are going to cop to a supply issue when that would point to an internal problem that can be blamed on someone, even if there's the fact Covid hosed everything and the demand is the highest it's ever been. If you're an investor reading the news you can just say great they are selling as fast as they can be produced, instead of "wait supply issue? WHO'S HEAD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?" I dunno though just spitballing, but yeah I mean it looks like it's both from where I'm sitting. Doesn't really matter though, would them saying "yeah our supply is hosed you'll get them when you get them" be much different than "yeah demand is hosed, you'll get them when you get them"?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think anyone denies that demand is huge right now. For all I know, during all other graphics card releases, there have only been 1000 units total on release day and everyone that wanted one, got one. It's just weird that there are rumours saying 'there are only going to be very few available' even before the release, then it was a massive shitshow and it seems that so far there was only one really big drop (nvidia, 2? weeks ago on their site), and none of the manufacturers are coming out and saying exactly how many units were produced, are being produced, are in hand right now for ordering, will arrive tomorrow etc. If they were to say 'we had 10k units on release day!' then we'd know. But we don't know. Since they're not saying anything we're assuming the worst, which is backed up by our actual experience. All we hear is shops saying ridiculous poo poo like "we're getting an entire TWO (2) cards in next week and we'll sell them when we get them!!!!"

I read that by the second or third week of october there would be stock, and IDK, it's the third week... in october? Almost a month after release, and I'm no closer to getting one than I was when I decided to get one.

I said here I was going to give up buying one. of course I un gave up a few days after that and I'm even running a bot now, for evga/asus/nvida cards on newegg/best buy/bandh/amazon. I haven't got one single 'in stock' hit. My bot's not running all the time but it's running when I'm able to buy. I also jump on the discord a few times a day when the alert goes off and today I clicked 'add to cart' a few times on best buy and wasn't able to add them. I saw a scalped evga card on sale for 1k and when I went to the card's page 'just to see if I could add it to my cart' it was sold lol.

edit: before I get called salty: yes I am very salty.

redreader fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 16, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think people are probably gonna keep scalping all the way until they can only resell for 100 over msrp. Its still a 16% profit which is plenty for a lot of businesses.
I honestly dont expect it to get better this year

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

VorpalFish posted:

Scan says they got a shipment yesterday.

Ocuk has been getting shipments according to their website as well, so zero count is obviously hyperbole.

The amount of time you spend in line waiting doesn't tell you anything about change in demand vs change in supply; just that demand exceeds supply.

And you didn't answer my question. Do you honestly believe this is not the most in demand flagship launch we have ever seen?

With the global economy brutalized / propped up with payouts I have no idea how global demand is doing. I'm sure its high because people wanted to line up at microcenter but people always line up for new gaming electronics. The "zero" was for some cards in some countries on "launch day," not a month out.

1080 was popular, 2080 wasn't.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-success/

I remember the GTX8080 being really popular.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 16, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
At this point I will seriously trade my PS5 preorder + price difference for an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fauxtool posted:

I think people are probably gonna keep scalping all the way until they can only resell for 100 over msrp. Its still a 16% profit which is plenty for a lot of businesses.
I honestly dont expect it to get better this year

They probably have to do better than that - between eBay and PayPal they're taking what, a 15% haircut?

Edit: I mean if they sell locally probably sure but there's definitely drag on doing it at scale from fees.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 16, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Fuzz posted:

At this point I will seriously trade my PS5 preorder + price difference for an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080.

lol dude, just keep your peesex5 and play demon's soul like i am on launch day

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

shrike82 posted:

lol dude, just keep your peesex5 and play demon's soul like i am on launch day

I platinumed Demon's Souls on PS3.

It's a poo poo year and I've personally had to see way too many people die this year, and Cyberpunk was the one thing I was looking forward to to finish out the year as a silver lining, and my current GPU is both not going to run it well and also won't be able to run it with everything on. Considering I'll only get to play it once, I'd like to get the full experience the one time. :smithicide:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

get an evga 2000 series card and try to step-up i guess

nvidia really shot themselves in the foot by tying themselves so strongly to the CP2027 launch. i think a bunch of people are going to lose interest in getting an ampere card anytime soon if they can't get it by the game's release date

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shrike82 posted:

nvidia really shot themselves in the foot by tying themselves so strongly to the CP2027 launch. i think a bunch of people are going to lose interest in getting an ampere card anytime soon if they can't get it by the game's release date

Or they'll just delay the game again. CDPR doesn't seem to be terribly negatively affected by it considering it's on its, what, fifth delay?

It's on the verge of comedic levels of DNF territory.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's gone gold dude

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
obviously the correct answer is to play CP2077 on your next-gen console so you still get ray-tracing that way

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Pretty sure this is about the ps5 and the xbox not CP2020.

edit: lol I mean 2077 my brain just finished what yours started.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/146170-nvidia-shift-rtx-30-gpus-tsmc-7nm-2021-says-report/

Guess Nvidia realized Samsung wasn't up to snuff. I think they knew this for a while (even before the "launch"), the deal to go back to TSMC would have taken months to sort out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/146170-nvidia-shift-rtx-30-gpus-tsmc-7nm-2021-says-report/

Guess Nvidia realized Samsung wasn't up to snuff. I think they knew this for a while (even before the "launch"), the deal to go back to TSMC would have taken months to sort out.

extremely lmao if the "wait till next year" folks end up getting a sweet deal on a 3000 Super on TSMC's 7nm

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Nvidia already makes Ampere on TSMC 7nm with A100, and has said repeatedly that they would like a 50/50 order split between Samsung and TSMC. Porting designs between fabs is NOT fun or cheap. To get around that, Pascal had the 1030 and 1050 on Samsung and the rest on TSMC, but not the same part on both.

I think its more likely that the TSMC order is for totally different products, not a 3080/3090 respin this late in the game.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

redreader posted:

I'm even running a bot now, for evga/asus/nvida cards on newegg/best buy/bandh/amazon. I haven't got one single 'in stock' hit. My bot's not running all the time but it's running when I'm able to buy. I also jump on the discord a few times a day when the alert goes off and today I clicked 'add to cart' a few times on best buy and wasn't able to add them. I saw a scalped evga card on sale for 1k and when I went to the card's page 'just to see if I could add it to my cart' it was sold lol.

I can echo this. I'm not looking for a 3080 for myself, but for two friends who want them, so I'm running a few iterations of bots on newegg, bestbuy, amazon, to auto-checkout any of the Asus/Gigabyte/FE cards. I've had cards in carts dozens of times in the last few days even, never gotten all the way to finalizing checkout before it was gone.

I want a 3070, and I can only imagine that being an even bigger shitshow given that it's a $500 2080ti apparently. Hopefully they've upped supply and I can get *one* on release day across a good 10 bot iterations running.

I'm just having fun trying to get one, but it's clear they're getting 10's (and in the case of best buy, probably 100's) when the demand is for 10,000's on top of the bots. There are a good 5000 people searching for them across two discords I follow. It's pretty funny, I've never done this before, is this what copping sneakers is like?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

obviously the correct answer is to play CP2077 on your next-gen console so you still get ray-tracing that way

Playing a first person game on a console that doesn't support M+KB.

:negative:

Cygni posted:

Nvidia already makes Ampere on TSMC 7nm with A100, and has said repeatedly that they would like a 50/50 order split between Samsung and TSMC. Porting designs between fabs is NOT fun or cheap. To get around that, Pascal had the 1030 and 1050 on Samsung and the rest on TSMC, but not the same part on both.

I think its more likely that the TSMC order is for totally different products, not a 3080/3090 respin this late in the game.

Yeah, this seems the setup for the inevitable 3060 and 3050.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I noticed just now, but my 3080 FE started turning off its fans below 40c after I set a curve on afterburner.

The afterburner minimum speed is 30% but im looking at the 3080 idle without fans spinning right now

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fauxtool posted:

I noticed just now, but my 3080 FE started turning off its fans below 40c after I set a curve on afterburner.

The afterburner minimum speed is 30% but im looking at the 3080 idle without fans spinning right now

At stock settings, the fans will remain off until it passes 55c and then they ramp to 30%. Without Afterburner I should say.

Edit: My card in GPU-Z

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 16, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Would you look at that bad boy box design (photo not mine, stolen from the Internet):

A return to better and simpler times...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I mean that's about the only way to actually get an RTX 3080 right now...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You wouldn't download a graphics card...

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

You wouldn't download a graphics card...
I feel so old right now.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ersatz posted:

I feel so old right now.

Usenet is still a thing.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Usenet is still a thing.

And usenet is still probably the most useful source of illegal material. P2P software like irc dcc's, emule, napster, dc, torrents etc. came and went, usenet is still going strong, probably stronger than ever. :iiam:

Yes, I wish I had an ampere graphics card so I had actually something to do and talk about instead of talking crap in the GPU thread.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I just bought an alienware with a 3080 in it yolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I'm just gona wait.

There cant possibly be that many people that want a GPU north of $700. Most of the systems you see people building online have 2060s and 2070s, not 2080s.

All the "I'm rich and bored" new computer shoppers will get 3090s anyway.

It might take a few months of waiting, but im getting the gpu I want.

But do I want a 7nm non Samsung 3080Ti :ohdear: