Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So oh no Interstellar cooperation is dead because nobody can use warp drive in a trustworthy way OH HEY HERE COMES A SHIP WITH A NEW DRIVE SYSTEM

Get ready for Federation Mk 2: now with mushrooms.

Teek posted:

Biggest highlight the premiere was the mention of the time travel tech being outlawed after the Temporal War. We’re basically at the point that a Star Trek show throwing some meat to an important plot element in a previous series makes it worthwhile.

That doesn't really make much sense though, the entire point of Daniels's agency was timecops who stopped other people using time travel illegally. Outlawing it doesn't do much if the tech is out there.

Thom12255 posted:

I'm guessing the Federation is just Earth and Vulcan and maybe some others now

I assume it's as many as there are stars on the banner

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I was assuming it was an infrastructure problem. Like the accident causes an initial large number of staff/machinery to go down. The remaining people/infrastructure were too thinly spread out across vast reaches of space and so bit by bit various linkages failed.

ok cool; yeah a network failure is the only way that line makes sense to me

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

That was an enjoyable episode! I loved the Icelandic scenery. The futuristic tech looked cool but holy poo poo it HURT to look at. Not only is it all bright as hell but the way some of the scenes were shot made it so my eyes didn’t know where to rest, I guess? I don’t know how to explain it. Maybe it was intentional! Maybe I’m from the mirror universe :ninja:

Enjoyed Burnham getting the space drugs and boring the security officers with her problems. Also Book rescues endangered animals? That’s adorable :3:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dilithium's role has always been vague and contradictory enough that you might well be able to retcon that it's a necessary part of producing warp plasma that even the Romulans require, even if they don't use it in Matter/Antimatter reactors. In TOS the crystals were charged and energised off the reaction as part of powering the ship, for example. And hell, we know that Romulans do mine dilithium.

(Maybe Cochrane was able to artificially synthesise a tiny fragment)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

HOLY gently caress posted:

That was an enjoyable episode! I loved the Icelandic scenery.

Point the camera the other way and you'd see this:

https://www.bluelagoon.com/accommodation

It's a little hard to get the silica out of your hair if you get any of that blue milk in it though.

(The pools are the outflow from their geothermal powerplant. While others are rolling coal, Iceland's energy generation waste by-product is a nice spa.)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I've been saying elsewhere that the megaman cannons look real stupid ever since we got that shot of a bunch of dudes with them running.

Continues the proud Star Trek tradition of space guns looking terrible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Maybe I’m from the mirror universe :ninja:

That depends. Have you passed through an ion storm lately?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Gonz posted:

That depends. Have you passed through an ion storm lately?

Only ironically. :smuggo: Lights hurt and I haven’t slept for 3 days, that’s normal, right?

^also yeah, the hand cannon things were ridiculous. looked like a hairdryer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The handguns were Mega Man-esque.

I expected Drill Man to appear out of nowhere.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Only ironically. :smuggo: Lights hurt and I haven’t slept for 3 days, that’s normal, right?

^also yeah, the hand cannon things were ridiculous. looked like a hairdryer

not the first time a star trek weapon has looked like a home appliance

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

As someone who likes trek a lot, but doesn't know every minute detail, can someone explain the vastness of the finale scene? He mentioned the size of the area he can scan for comms, and there being 2 federation ships in it and there being, I think, 30 sectors? How much space are we talking here, how long does that distance take to traverse at warp 8/9 etc?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I enjoyed the programmable matter stuff that apparently could just hover in mid-air. But the interfaces using it seem like they'd be hard to use.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

As someone who likes trek a lot, but doesn't know every minute detail, can someone explain the vastness of the finale scene? He mentioned the size of the area he can scan for comms, and there being 2 federation ships in it and there being, I think, 30 sectors? How much space are we talking here, how long does that distance take to traverse at warp 8/9 etc?

He mentions that it was 2 ships within a 600 light year radius.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zotix posted:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Warp_factor

quote:

According to Star Trek: Voyager Technical Manual (pp. 4 & 27), a sector (about twenty light years) took four days to cross at warp 9.6, five days at warp 9 and about nineteen days at warp 6. However, in VOY: "The Voyager Conspiracy", the ship cuts three years off its journey by crossing thirty sectors, implying that they expected to travel more than a month (or approximately 36.5 days) to cross a sector.

Although reading these articles, it seems like the speeds are pretty inconsistent. It doesn't help that some of the stuff they have on there mixes up TOS and TNG+ speeds, even though one article says they changed the warp scale after TOS to have its maximum be infinite speed or Warp 10. They have always moved at the speed of plot anyways, so big caveat here.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I really like the guy who was torchbearing for the Federation day in and day out for decades. Something about him really got to me. I genuinely felt happy for him when he finally came face to face with what is essentially a representation of his God. A shame that was Burnham though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I actually appreciated they seem somewhat self aware of how annoying Burnham is with her constant “wait, am I overcompensating for something” high rant lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zotix posted:

Travel time/distance have never been even a little consistent in Trek so there's no way to really know.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So this is only the first half of an actual premier? It was kind of interesting, looking forward to seeing more of the rest of the crew.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the shiny Orion and Andorian guards. They were *really* shiny.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

All the dilithium blew up?
lol
So bad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just don't like the Andorian redesign much. Not as bad as the Klingons but still, eh. The Tellarites are better. And far as I could tell they didn't change Lurians or Cardassians.

Orion's always just been "green" so whatever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They should of went with the Warp climate change poo poo would of made more sense and been an allegory to us which Trek (used to) love to do.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

socialsecurity posted:

They should of went with the Warp climate change poo poo would of made more sense and been an allegory to us which Trek (used to) love to do.

I mean, this seems like a no brainer to me

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Crusader posted:

Puzzled by one comment: "the long range sensors failed decades ago"... why would that be? Beyond the Great Dilithium Murder Mystery, there doesn't seem to be a general technological decline that would lead to something like "we forgot how sensors worked".

Unless maybe these are distant sensor outposts that had signals relayed around and both the outposts and the relays all failed and they can't get to them anymore? :thunk:

yeah seems to be a problem with subspace itself, which would impact long range sensors and comms

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Book mentioned that the wormhole damaged subspace for two light-years or something. Also, I'd that guy is the only person on that station, it's not surprising that things are breaking and don't get fixed. But that felt more like they didn't want to hire more actors or something. This big station that lets this guy live a nice life for 40 years and no one else decided to live there as well?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

pik_d posted:

I have to wonder what this all means for Calypso. The ship was sitting there for 1000 years and the Federation had become the V'draysh. In 3188 it's still called the Federation so does that mean Calpso might not have occurred for another 1000 years, in the 42nd century?

I don't think we're ever gonna get a resolution to that. Based on when it was made and all the show runner shuffling I suspect it was based around some early ideas they had about how Discovery would end up in the far future, which then changed a lot as Season 2 went into production.

MikeJF posted:

Dilithium's role has always been vague and contradictory enough that you might well be able to retcon that it's a necessary part of producing warp plasma that even the Romulans require, even if they don't use it in Matter/Antimatter reactors. In TOS the crystals were charged and energised off the reaction as part of powering the ship, for example. And hell, we know that Romulans do mine dilithium.

(Maybe Cochrane was able to artificially synthesise a tiny fragment)

Yeah. TBH even by the standards of Treknobabble the way dilithium was described as being used didn't really make sense.

Cojawfee posted:

Book mentioned that the wormhole damaged subspace for two light-years or something. Also, I'd that guy is the only person on that station, it's not surprising that things are breaking and don't get fixed. But that felt more like they didn't want to hire more actors or something. This big station that lets this guy live a nice life for 40 years and no one else decided to live there as well?

That city looked pretty nice overall. Other than the dilithium shortage it might well be the case that people still live good quality lives and have access to decent resources.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Cojawfee posted:

Book mentioned that the wormhole damaged subspace for two light-years or something.

Actually he said it was the Gorn. The Gorn ruined 2 light years of subspace.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The societal collapse isn't just because dilithum became in short supply, it's because every single ship with a warp drive that uses it blew up. When you consider that every starfleet ship would be destroyed at the same time along with many other governments' navies, then yeah, things could break down. It's still a dumb thing to happen but it's not quite something you can hand wave away and say "they can just use a different FTL"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

King Burgundy posted:

Must have been one hell of a wedding party.

If all the dilithium's gone, they could go back to regular lithium. Worked fine when Gary Mitchell was around.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah. The Gorns probably tried some new FTL with wormholes, and Book thought that Rocket Girl was doing the same experiments.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lister posted:

The societal collapse isn't just because dilithum became in short supply, it's because every single ship with a warp drive that uses it blew up. When you consider that every starfleet ship would be destroyed at the same time along with many other governments' navies, then yeah, things could break down. It's still a dumb thing to happen but it's not quite something you can hand wave away and say "they can just use a different FTL"

They kinda do though, because Book mentions something like quantum slipstream drive and a few others, so there are FTL alternatives out there but some still apparently use the remaining dilithium.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

That's true, but I meant only in reference to the federation failing. If the dilithum just disappeared, they could have retrofit every ship with something else in a few months. I just wanted to highlight that when talking about this Burn event, they're missing that like, millions of people across the galaxy died.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lister posted:

That's true, but I meant only in reference to the federation failing. If the dilithum just disappeared, they could have retrofit every ship with something else in a few months. I just wanted to highlight that when talking about this Burn event, they're missing that like, millions of people across the galaxy died.

Oh right, I misunderstood your post. Yeah, it’s much more believable that poo poo collapsed when you consider how many ships and crews were lost across (presumably) the entire galaxy. Supply chains for colonies would be cut off entirely and member planets would have to reprioritize surviving forces for local defense since reinforcements aren’t coming for months or years at best. Not much point in having a Federation if everyone is suddenly isolated after such a widespread calamity.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wait, was that buzzard lookin dude supposed to be a romulan?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It wouldn't only be starships and their crews - you would almost certainly lose Spacedock, starbases and all manner of shipyards and facilities along with them.

The sheer loss of knowledge and experience from such a catastrophe would be staggering.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zotix posted:

It's very inconsistent in speed but Voyager was expecting to make about a thousand light years per year. A 600 light year radius is potentially most of the main body of the 24th century Federation. (Although the shape of the Federation is wierd because it depends on who joins or doesn't so there's lots of jutting out bits or islands)

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
For what it's worth in First Contact Picard tells Lily that the Federation spans 8000 light years

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

If I had one note for DISCO 3 its that the actors should emote more. They're a little understated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ramadu posted:

wait, was that buzzard lookin dude supposed to be a romulan?

Memory Alpha says he's a Betelgeusian, one of the TMP background aliens