Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My App Store just loaded and got phones for me and my wife preordered. Black 12 for her, blue 12 for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Opted for store pickup, may get covid while getting pacific blue 128 pro.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Still waiting for App store app to work. Says 'almost there'

Try the app on the phone. That's how I ordered mine.

Actually, I was able to set up the order a couple days ago, and all I did today was confirm via ApplePay. Got the 256GB blue Pro, delivery next Friday.

This was by far the least painful pre-order I've done with Apple.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Canadian site was a bit late but estimate still says next Friday for me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This was my first launch day order, utterly painless compared to trying to get a 3080 from nvidia.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Something worth mentioning: My ATT FAN waived my $30 upgrade fee when I ordered from their website. The Apple Store app was going to charge me. So if you have a FAN, try ATTs site if you want to save 30 bux.

e: got a pacific blue Pro

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Try the app on the phone. That's how I ordered mine.

Actually, I was able to set up the order a couple days ago, and all I did today was confirm via ApplePay. Got the 256GB blue Pro, delivery next Friday.

This was by far the least painful pre-order I've done with Apple.

They just turned it on a few minutes later than 8a, it then flashed on with my order and I was good to go. I bet that they staged the availability of the store so it wouldn't get overloaded all at once.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Same. 12 pro on the 23rd. I skipped out on the 11 so I’m excited. :classiclol:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

12 pro still available for launch day a whole 10 minutes after pre-orders opened? Apple is doomed. Now to suffer for weeks while I stop myself for getting the 12 pro for the cameras and keep waiting for the mini.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Inner Light posted:

Out of curiosity what about handling bass mangles the fingers? I've never really fished in my life :shrug: just wet?

Bass have little sandpaper-like teeth and the safest way to handle them (for you and the fish) is to grab them by the lip. Once you catch a bunch your thumb gets scratched up.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Here I was thinking it was 5am EST and not PST.

Got up early for nothing.

Same... then at 8 my Apple Pay didn't go through so I had to use my laptop instead and now it's not coming until the 30th.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has there been any good articles on the A14 or 5 nm technology published anywhere? I know it’s dumb to wait for the next year’s chip because next year’s is always going to be better but I remember with Intel the CPUs they released the generation after a process shrink were insanely more powerful? I don’t need a 12 Pro (and I don’t think I’d like losing the ability to zoom in in pictures going from the XS to 12) so I’m already set on next year’s 13 but I’m just wondering if anyone smart has written about this.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Upgraded from an iPhone 8 to iPhone 12 Pro. The price difference between the 12 128GB and the 12Pro 128GB was so small, so why not... I'll enjoy the better camera and not have buyers remorse at that price.

Painless ordering from T-Mobile as well.

So I'll be getting $615 combo of trade in value and customer loyalty discount. That's fine, considering I paid $745 for the iPhone 8 with Tax over the past 3 years. That's a drat good trade in value! I feel like next year I won't get nearly as much for the iPhone 8 so it was a good time to trade in.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

12 pro still available for launch day a whole 10 minutes after pre-orders opened? Apple is doomed. Now to suffer for weeks while I stop myself for getting the 12 pro for the cameras and keep waiting for the mini.

I'm a dumbass and can't read and kept thinking the minis went up today too

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2 128GB 12s ordered for the wifey and I. Was incredibly tempted to go up to the Pro, but if I went pro I'd want the max and then the small price jump becomes much larger. I've enjoyed my 11 so I'm looking forward to the 12 (OLED + Flat Sides + Small bezels).

Verizon's ordering process is so much better than it was even 2 years ago. Happy to see them making improvements each year. It took me maybe 5 mins to complete the order.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That Apple store keeps rejecting my credit card, despite being enough allowance on there. It's also slow as gently caress. Timeouts and bad gateway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

That Apple store keeps rejecting my credit card, despite being enough allowance on there. It's also slow as gently caress. Timeouts and bad gateway.

I had all sorts of timeouts and errors when I got to the pay portion in the app. ATT website worked perfectly since they don’t charge you anything right now, it’s all on your next bill.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ordered. 12 in blue 256gig. Day one delivery. And the mag safe charger and charging brick lol. This replaces my iPhone 6s+ I've had since launch week. I suspect this will be a pretty big upgrade for me?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LionArcher posted:

ordered. 12 in blue 256gig. Day one delivery. And the mag safe charger and charging brick lol. This replaces my iPhone 6s+ I've had since launch week. I suspect this will be a pretty big upgrade for me?

I have an X and its a big upgrade for me, you'll be taking a time machine to the future

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Even the 256gb 12 Pro is almost $1400 after adding the AC+Theft and taxes, jesus christ

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That was easy. Too easy.

Got my Blue Pro 256 delivering next Friday. Reports that some of the Pro models have delivery dates of the 30th now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My 128 blue pro had an early November delivery date but Oct 23 pickup so opted for that. This was at like 8:06

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm so excited, I've never gotten a launch day iPhone. I have no idea what I'm going to do with 128gb of storage.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has there been any good articles on the A14 or 5 nm technology published anywhere? I know it’s dumb to wait for the next year’s chip because next year’s is always going to be better but I remember with Intel the CPUs they released the generation after a process shrink were insanely more powerful? I don’t need a 12 Pro (and I don’t think I’d like losing the ability to zoom in in pictures going from the XS to 12) so I’m already set on next year’s 13 but I’m just wondering if anyone smart has written about this.

No one knows, no benchmarks out yet. Although Qualcomm's latest was finally matching the 7nm A13 and Apple says the newest chip is 50% faster than other smartphones so...:shrug:

If it really was 50% faster I'd think they'd include more details. That would be a monster upgrade. Going to 5nm has to give it a significant boost though.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m gonna be that person and sport this MagSafe clear case for this black 12

Hope it’s good!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, they're already ridiculously overpowered for what you're going to use them for. I don't think a potential CPU leap is really something to hinge your decision on.

Ouhei posted:

2 128GB 12s ordered for the wifey and I. Was incredibly tempted to go up to the Pro, but if I went pro I'd want the max and then the small price jump becomes much larger. I've enjoyed my 11 so I'm looking forward to the 12 (OLED + Flat Sides + Small bezels).

Verizon's ordering process is so much better than it was even 2 years ago. Happy to see them making improvements each year. It took me maybe 5 mins to complete the order.

Yeah with the small difference I'd probably get a Max if it was available today, but the longer wait made me go with just the Pro.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had all sorts of timeouts and errors when I got to the pay portion in the app. ATT website worked perfectly since they don’t charge you anything right now, it’s all on your next bill.
Turns out that it tried to sell me two of them. As the site got responsive and I've reloaded the cart, it suddenly displayed two (when checking out, it only displayed one). Yay for credit card limits. I bought it via my mobile provider now, too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Upgraded from a 7 to a 12 Pro I'm sure there won't be much difference right guys.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Turns out that it tried to sell me two of them. As the site got responsive and I've reloaded the cart, it suddenly displayed two (when checking out, it only displayed one). Yay for credit card limits. I bought it via my mobile provider now, too.

FWIW they seem to have decent dedup logic since the app kept telling me that the order was interrupted and I should try again, and I got an order confirmation email while continuing to mash confirm and I only see one phone in my order history. If several show up I'm going to be annoyed at having to straighten that out. It's 2020 and they can't handle a very specifically scheduled spike in traffic, ugh.

edit: sorry that was intended to be mostly facetious because it's the epitome of first-world problems.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 16, 2020

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Question because I haven't kept up on the tech generally. Will I be able to put the SIM from an iPhone 8 Plus directly into a 12 Pro? Or is there some kind of incompatibility?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Upgraded from a 7 to a 12 Pro I'm sure there won't be much difference right guys.

Well the phone color might be different.

Also you're going to love OLED.

EDIT: to use the magsafe options do I need a magsafe case? Like if I get a Spigen clear case could I still use the leather wallet?

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 16, 2020

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

If you're buying a T-Mobile/Sprint 12 from the Apple store, you can get $150 rebate on top.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14444132-t-mobile-sprint-buy-an-iphone-12-or-12-pro-with-apple-trade-in-and-receive-additional-150-cash-back-card

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

emdash posted:

Question because I haven't kept up on the tech generally. Will I be able to put the SIM from an iPhone 8 Plus directly into a 12 Pro? Or is there some kind of incompatibility?

Every iPhone since the 5 has used the same nano sim size.

Edit: Basically every phone since ~2013 really.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 16, 2020

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Aphrodite posted:

Every iPhone since the 5 has used the same nano sim size.

Good to know, thanks

coke
Jul 12, 2009

emdash posted:

it should work fine if the carrier isn't using some sort of whitelist

also even going from something like a x to 12 on tmobile means 5 extra 4g+5g frequency bands and should definitely make a difference in user experience even if most 5g coverage is garbage

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The target phone must also be unlocked or on the same carrier as the previous. There are quick, cheap, and easy ways around it but are a bit grey-market.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
First time playing the preorder game.
Went out for dinner and missed the preorder in the size and colour I wanted. RIP.
Off to the store tomorrow.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

I think "purple blood stain" would indicate either blue or red.

(Now I'm wishing the blue was a deeper almost purple shade of blue)

As someone who has a purple car, this would be hot.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Painless preorder from T-Mobile this year. Grabbed a pacific blue pro 128gb. I really missed the telephoto lens, happy to have that back

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I got my graphite 12 Pro 256gb preorder in just fine, but the website was starting to buckle as I got further in the process. Still got launch day delivery.

I also picked up a Magsafe charger? I don't really need it but given the direction it appears Apple is going with the phones, I figured I would play around with it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Well the phone color might be different.

Also you're going to love OLED.

EDIT: to use the magsafe options do I need a magsafe case? Like if I get a Spigen clear case could I still use the leather wallet?

I don’t know if the wallet would work through it, but I do know you can’t magSafe charge with the wallet attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I did the $500 off for a 12 Pro pacific blue 128gb, upgrading through T-Mobile. Is this going to be carrier-locked?