Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

I don’t know if the wallet would work through it, but I do know you can’t magSafe charge with the wallet attached.

Well that kind of sucks. I thought the magnetic protections for the cards meant it could still charge since I can charge with a $13 wallet case on my X.

It'll probably take a while to figure out exactly how this new system works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

EDIT: to use the magsafe options do I need a magsafe case? Like if I get a Spigen clear case could I still use the leather wallet?

I don't know how well it will work. It might work fine, but the more distance between the magnets means less strength. I kind of get the impression that MagSafe cases have two sets of magnets in the case: one set to attach to the phone, and the second set to attach to case addons or chargers.

I personally wouldn't risk the leather wallet addon until reviews come out but also you can return it if the addon doesn't work great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fourwood posted:

I did the $500 off for a 12 Pro pacific blue 128gb, upgrading through T-Mobile. Is this going to be carrier-locked?

I think the Apple website said all phones are unlocked except for Verizon (which I think is locked for two months or something).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My plan is to just use my Pixel Stand for regular wireless charging until people have figured all this stuff out, and some less dumb Magsafe charger designs have come out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

My plan is to just use my Pixel Stand for regular wireless charging until people have figured all this stuff out, and some less dumb Magsafe charger designs have come out.

I'm with you, I can't think of a use-case other than curiosity for the MagSafe. CarPlay requires a lightning connector, and I have two Fast Qi chargers in the house (desk, bed-table). I may eventually get one of those Belkin chargers when it comes out since it looks like it has a spot for the phone, watch, and AirPods.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm with you, I can't think of a use-case other than curiosity for the MagSafe.

You can use the phone while wirelessly charging is the big one I can think of. It's also twice as fast as traditional qi charging.

But no, there's not really any reason to buy one if those things aren't appealing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'll buy a Magsafe charger when there's a stand style one but the flat puck seems pointless to me.

Amazon will be flooded with Chinese versions soon enough. I don't have an Apple watch anyway.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Sadly I see no compelling reason to upgrade from my X.

I was really jonesing for 120hz or touchID. I think back in the good old days I would've bought this one (I upgraded from the 6 to the 6S for gods sake).

I fully expect reviews and/or posts in this thread to make me regret that decision.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

I think the Apple website said all phones are unlocked except for Verizon (which I think is locked for two months or something).

I’m not seeing the link on the web store anymore, but the app says that all phones are unlocked unless you buy one with an AT&T installment plan.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So this is going to work similar to old Palm WebOS wireless chargers where it sucked the phone out of your hand and auto-aligned it magnetically? Because those were awesome.

But until then it's a puck with a wire that attaches to your phone?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

I'll buy a Magsafe charger when there's a stand style one but the flat puck seems pointless to me.

Amazon will be flooded with Chinese versions soon enough. I don't have an Apple watch anyway.

If the magnet is strong enough to reliably hold a phone getting jostled around, I'm going to glue a mag safe puck to my car mount.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Belkin has one coming out but it's like $50 just for a vent mount, no charging.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh hey, I had an organic conversation with Siri for half a second: "that's not nice" "neither are your programmers you piece of poo poo" "I won't respond to that".

Fun fact: It'll censor anything it thinks includes swearing even when you have "always caption text" on. Siri doesn't know how to turn that setting on. Why must they make Siri lovely By Default? Is it because nobody really gives a poo poo about Siri and the only reason I bothered was because it was silently failing with no feedback repeatedly?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh hey, I had an organic conversation with Siri for half a second: "that's not nice" "neither are your programmers you piece of poo poo" "I won't respond to that".

Fun fact: It'll censor anything it thinks includes swearing even when you have "always caption text" on. Siri doesn't know how to turn that setting on. Why must they make Siri lovely By Default? Is it because nobody really gives a poo poo about Siri and the only reason I bothered was because it was silently failing with no feedback repeatedly?

Siri does suck but she doesn't seem to censor me at all.

e:

I asked her to define gently caress and she defined it. She asked me if I wanted to hear the next definition and when it got to the last one she said gently caress out loud.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 16, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Siri does suck but she doesn't seem to censor me at all.

Who needs a reminder to gently caress? That's usually front of mind for me :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Years ago I was showing a nephew how Siri worked and asked it how tall Arnold Schwarzenegger was and the response was, "How tall is on all swatch n**ger", so I don't know how well it censors. Siri didn't include the asterisks, BTW.

Why why does Siri even know that word (answer is probably because of song titles).

vyst posted:

Who needs a reminder to gently caress? That's usually front of mind for me :shrug:

My name is Buck and my calendar says I'm scheduled to gently caress between 3pm and 4pm Wednesday.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

vyst posted:

Look my day is 100% optimized for productivity if it's not in my reminders then I'm not 100% optimal.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I asked her to define gently caress and she defined it. She asked me if I wanted to hear the next definition and when it got to the last one she said gently caress out loud.

My dictionary definition doesn't include that mention of gently caress so she doesn't say it. Why is my dictionary censored

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

vyst posted:

My wife.

Ey-ohhh

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

emdash posted:

Question because I haven't kept up on the tech generally. Will I be able to put the SIM from an iPhone 8 Plus directly into a 12 Pro? Or is there some kind of incompatibility?

FYI , for Verizon you have to use a 5G SIM card , so while they are the same size, you want to activate the SIM it comes with.

I would bet the other carriers all have a specific 5G SIM, so I would highly recommend getting a new SIM with said phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Verizon phones are locked for 2 months and unlock automatically after 2 months use. ATT phones on payment plan via ATT are locked until they are paid off (not sure if they are locked via Apple’s payment plan).

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Currently using the 200gb iCloud and it looks like it’s going to be full pretty soon, what easy brain dead options do I have? Mostly for my wife.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Currently using the 200gb iCloud and it looks like it’s going to be full pretty soon, what easy brain dead options do I have? Mostly for my wife.

If you can hold out a month or so Apple has their Apple One plans launching that include 2TB storage. I would plug the math to see if it works for you

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I wish there were more options for MagSafe stuff. I want a non-silicone case and I want that Belkin car charger.

I have a Mous case on my X so I’m used to having that setup

Edit - wait the belkin doesn’t charge? Lmao

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 16, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the benefit over the MagSafe charger they're selling over just plugging your phone in? Seems like it's just slightly easier to handle?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

What's the benefit over the MagSafe charger they're selling over just plugging your phone in? Seems like it's just slightly easier to handle?

Twice as fast than Qi charging.

And it's modular. That's it.

Honestly, if you need faster charging just get an USB-C PD charger and never ever look back at your old wall warts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

prom candy posted:

The better way to look at it is "what's the benefit of wireless charging over plugging your phone in?" And the answer to that is convenience. Just throw the phone on a puck and it starts charging, pick it up to answer a message and throw it back down.

What's the benefit of MagSafe over regular Qi charging? Other than the higher wattage (15 W vs 7.5 W) it's also more convenient because the magnets will align the phone with the puck each and every time. I dunno if it's my lovely IKEA pucks but occasionally I set my phone on it and it doesn't charge until I move it around a bit. Also, apparently the magnets are strong enough to securely hold up a phone so I imagine there's going to be an influx of charging docks that take advantage of that. I imagine having it in a car is going to be pretty awesome.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why is convenience not seen as a sufficient benefit? Why does there have to be something else?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

The better way to look at it is "what's the benefit of wireless charging over plugging your phone in?" And the answer to that is convenience. Just throw the phone on a puck and it starts charging, pick it up to answer a message and throw it back down.

What's the benefit of MagSafe over regular Qi charging? Other than the higher wattage (15 W vs 7.5 W) it's also more convenient because the magnets will align the phone with the puck each and every time. I dunno if it's my lovely IKEA pucks but occasionally I set my phone on it and it doesn't charge until I move it around a bit. Also, apparently the magnets are strong enough to securely hold up a phone so I imagine there's going to be an influx of charging docks that take advantage of that. I imagine having it in a car is going to be pretty awesome.

It's the number of coils. Cheap chargers have one coil so it's more difficult to get a good power connection. Nicer Qi chargers have 2 or 3 coils.

And yeah, in a car it'll be great except you'd still need a lightning cable for CarPlay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Well the phone color might be different.

Also you're going to love OLED.

EDIT: to use the magsafe options do I need a magsafe case? Like if I get a Spigen clear case could I still use the leather wallet?

I've used Spigen cases the last few phones I've had so I took a look on their Twitter, and they said they're working on confirming that and will update their descriptions once they do. They expect most of them to work though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

triple sulk posted:

Even the 256gb 12 Pro is almost $1400 after adding the AC+Theft and taxes, jesus christ

I got the 512Gb with a MagSafe charger and USB-C brick. It was $1,740 :negative: amazing what 0% financing will let you convince yourself to buy. If I had to pay it all at once I think would be targeting around $700 instead.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Upgraded from a 7 to a 12 Pro I'm sure there won't be much difference right guys.

Honestly I don’t think there really will be. At least not for how I use a phone. Better pictures for sure. I’m on a 7 Plus and it doesn’t feel slow to me at all. An app opening in .25s instead of .5s is meaningless. What do people do on their phones that require such performance? Gaming?

Part of the reason I am upgrading is because I would like a smaller phone. I may have held out for the mini if my current screen weren’t broken and getting worse.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I've used Spigen cases the last few phones I've had so I took a look on their Twitter, and they said they're working on confirming that and will update their descriptions once they do. They expect most of them to work though.

That’s great because I’ve done Spigen for the past 5 years or so and just ordered their Liquid Air one without even thinking about MagSafe compatibility. Good to know it’ll probably work.

e: I’m looking at the MagSafe charger in the store app and it says it’s compatible with my current XS Max. Weird.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 16, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That’s great because I’ve done Spigen for the past 5 years or so and just ordered their Liquid Air one without even thinking about MagSafe compatibility. Good to know it’ll probably work.

Yeah my guess is that their thicker Armor style cases might be iffy and that's why they don't want to commit until (I assume) they can test it to be sure.

They say for sure they will work with standard Qi charging though, so for me I'm good for now and if down the line they don't work with Magsafe well it was only $15 CAD.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone stumble across any fabric cases for the 12 (not pro)? Amazon has only a couple of real terrible options, people I've bought from in the past seem like they haven't started pumping them out yet. :(

Also looking at the apple silicone case color lineup really makes me wish they just made those the phone colors. Heck I'd be fine with a plastic back again on the 12 if they did something similar to what Samsung did with the S20 FE this year.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fallom posted:

Why is convenience not seen as a sufficient benefit? Why does there have to be something else?

At least it's not like MacRumors where its a bunch of boomers going "I see a wire how is this wireless?"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get why wireless charging is cool but I meant specifically the MagSafe charger they're selling now. when you pick your phone back up isn't the charger going to be stuck to the back of the phone? I'm definitely excited for fixed charging mounts.

I'm also excited for having a phone whose battery doesn't get ravaged by iOS 14...

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Yeah if the “wireless” charger can stick on the phone when you pick it up why not just plug it in at that point?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Have either of you interacted with magnets before? They're not permanent. :)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some people have never snagged earpods on a door handle, those fuckers will hold onto the lightning port for dear life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This AT&T trade in thing is melting my brain. It says to select "no" at trade in but I don't think it asks you anywhere else in the checkout process if you want to send AT&T your phone. It tells you about the deal but there is no info on how to get it.